Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Two friends have covid at the moment big drinkers wouldnt be overly active both smokers one has sky high blood pressure hes managing it alright im told only a bit of fatique now and then, the other fella weighs excess of 150kgs and is shook enough with it from.what ive heard. Im no picture of health by any means myself but you still cant be blaming covid for the effects on those two lads at the minute the reason they both are sick is surely down to lifestyle

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

4 out of 6 positive here. 2 of us wondering wtf is going on.

10 days of solid contact with confirmed cases and not a symptom or positive despite zero effort made to isolate.

Not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I never got measles or chicken pox when I was growing up despite sharing a bedroom with my brother that had measles bad, luck of the draw I guess, years later I got both from a school teacher I was going out with at the time and she wasn't affected at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Are ya sure you aren't mixing your diseases Wrangler😇

AAAGH, the sixties and seventies, they say if you can remember them you weren't there, so i better say I can't remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The small device used by AGS doesn’t accurately indicate the blood alcohol content of the chap driving .That would be magic. It helps the officer form the opinion that the chap might have drank alcohol recently, nothing more . Their tests are as reliable as the antigen is for COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A breathalyser test certaintly does not form an opinion. Its a measurement accurate to a percentage error of BAC.

My initial point about Covid testing was, that if it was so transmissible, I would have thought merely a breath test alone would indicate the presence of Covid in the upper respiratory tract.

Both PCR and Antigen require incredibly invasive nasal swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The nasal swabs are a bit uncomfortable no doubt.

but it’s by no means the most uncomfortable test you can have put somewhere 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Are any of the unvaccinated members in your family sick? Just curious… you must be bulletproof not to have picked it up yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was chatting to my eldest in Melbourne and they use a saliva antigen test.

• Advertisement

Some doctors or maybe consultants in U.K. were advising using antigen tests both in throat and nose as a better test.

Almost all staff members in wife’s department in the hospital are either positive or close contacts now. One girl had positive pcr today after having positive 8 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

How many of them are sick or have bad symptoms?

Agreed, a friend had cancer a couple years ago in which ''scopes'' featured strongly . I asked him one day how he was doing he said he was like the local council houses, three up and two down.

Someone on twitter was claiming to have it six times, it's coming round very fast to some, they used to think if you got Covid you were covered for six months then three mths and now two

No, that's why it's such a joke. Myself and other negative aren't vaccinated and zero symptoms after 7-10 days exposure.

I was told to cocoon at the start of covid because I've a suppressed immune system.

I do look after myself with diet/exercise and work outdoors. But if it was the killer it was made out to be all along, I should've been floored by it.

She’s quite surprised but most have symptoms, sore throat, chills, aches and pains.

I’ve had a number of scopes for stomach issues, nasal swab is an inconvenience in comparison.

plus most lads need to look into what women have to routinely go through for a smear test.

First post of 2022 so may as well make it count.

PCR came back a few minutes ago, negative.

It came into the extended family from a school, herself is a teacher and so is her sister. The sister got a call Christmas night from a Covid+ student.

Prior to that, locally, schools have been rampant with Covid.

There is zero chance, regardless of how careful we are, that my family will avoid Covid if schools reopen.

Learning can continue online, but this bullshit peddled by Government that schools are safe and controlled environments is just that, bullshit, and cowardice to boot.

• Advertisement

Vaccine is only as good as the person it goes into, we just have to have patience now, we're still trying to learn how to deal with it, the expertise isn't there yet, even worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I'm far from a conspiracy theorist but the last few weeks has made me wonder about the point of it all. I really think that if we tested the whole country now, a good proportion would be positive. I've just had it recently with mild symptoms and the kids had no symptoms at all but still tested positive. God help us all if the next pandemic is fully lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sorry but totally disagree …have daughter in primary .both principal and teachers are running a super smooth safe environment where everything there been asked to do is Donte to make that environment safe ….what happens outside school at home. Weekends etc is the issue

there is some that believe all the online shite that it’s a hoax etc etc ,there’s some parents still organising and sending invites for parties etc …totally irresponsible and selfish .online education is a poor substitute for in class teaching …zero issue sending my daughter back next week …proably expecting that there will be no school tho and start afresh Monday week

Lots of teachers are out with covid, or as close contacts. Subs aren't to be got, they don't want to go in, who'd blame them. More often than not, those subs teaching aren't qualified in the subjects they're teaching.

Deflection aside. It has been rampant in schools, that's no state secret. One person in the school has it and it spreads to other, then it spreads to the families that didn't have it.

The school situation has been a nonsense from the get-go, a magical Narnia like place where Covid cannot be transmitted, yet in.every.other.situation involving human beings there are restrictions, closures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fact remains school environment is safe ….what teachers and students do outside of that is where the issue is ….it’s brought in to school and despite best efforts it spreads even in the pods etc …..this was very apparent after halloween when kids off for that break …big outbreaks when they returned to school …infection picked up in those days they weren’t in school due to more unstructured mixing of people …

I’ve said that over and over. Imagine if omicron had the death rate of mers, 30% with god knows what % seriously ill.

It's not possible. There are always trade offs to be had in transmission and severity.

Both don't come together..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was reading earlier that in South Africa the cases of omnicron are falling off a cliff, so what comes after omicron?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Yound lad here in secondary school and he tells me not one kid in his year (c.150 ) has been out with covid .2 in his class of 25 have stayed at home for a couple of days as close contacts while people were waiting on test results .That's about the extent of it .

Stuff like this is known by kids as it spreads through the rumour mill like wildfire .Last year one 5th year sent home with high temp but no covid .

Brother is secondary teacher and he tells me the same .Very big school and very very few pupils out with covid pre Christmas.

Children have missed enough schooling and other things over the past 2 years so if some are afraid to send their kids then perhaps they could home school them till the danger passes .

Fingers crossed schools reopen as normal next week .

• Advertisement

No, they're not safe. For example, had schools closed on the Friday, my partners sister wouldn't have contracted Covid, and we wouldn't have been close contacts.

You're actually contradicting yourself. The origin of the initial infection isn't the point, it's the transmission in the school setting infecting other families that's the problem.

There's no controls available bar a Chinese style lock down on "personal responsibilities". The fact of that is demonstrated again and again in our society, where a % don't want to be responsible, or see it as a mess someone else will clean up.

For example, maybe a month or six weeks ago parents that had acted irresponsibly sent their kids into school, as it turned out with Covid. The follow on was my mate and his family, and concurrently a lot of local families received the gift of Covid. Their school wasn't the only local school where this occurred.

Covid doesn't spontaneously appear from behind the blackboard, the infection obviously originates somewhere and is brought into the school, but it is further transmitted there to other families. So regardless of how careful one is, it's that link that screws up all the effort of masks, hand washing, social distancing etc.

If that weren't the case, we wouldn't have a problem in most social settings. However even today, I see a local business closing because of "the numbers" with respect to their staff and clientele. They can refuse entry, or ask people to leave, yet they don't feel that's enough to prevent transmission.

Kids and people who work in schools? ****'em seems to be the policy.

Advertisement