Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Instant buy for me. It'll probably be on game pass actually, seeing as it's Rare game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now a new generation can discover that it's aged horribly.

Will still buy it day one.

Remake or "remaster"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah. Which Goldeneye are we talking about here? Cos there was that remake (that IIRC "starred" Daniel Craig, replacing Brosnan?)

It's a game I've intentionally avoided replaying for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's the Rare developed N64 one not the Activision CoDeye monstrosity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not woeful just been surpassed. The framerate is the biggest issue but if it's a rare remake like perfect dark that should at least be fixed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This remaster is actually available to play right now, albeit illegally. The entire thing leaked earlier this year, and you're able to play it on either a modded 360 or an emulator on PC.

Ars Technica thought it was so good that they included it in their games of the year round up, despite the dubious providence and lack of legal availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, last few years have been bad enough without game companies continuously **** up. Let's have a good start to 2022.... ah ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, infinite growth. I love modern capitalism.

🤦

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As ever: NFTs = No **** Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is just pure insanity...

I realize that some people who “play to have fun” and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However, I believe that there will be a certain number of people whose motivation is to “play to contribute,” by which I mean to help make the game more exciting. Traditional gaming has offered no explicit incentive to this latter group of people, who were motivated strictly by such inconsistent personal feelings as goodwill and volunteer spirit. This fact is not unrelated to the limitations of existing UGC (user-generated content). UGC has been brought into being solely because of individuals’ desire for self-expression and not because any explicit incentive existed to reward them for their creative efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It literally reads like a well-constructed April Fools joke.

Then you realise it’s three months early so it must be real.

Madness.

Shareholders again not realising that when they hear about pyramid schemes and gaming trends they are already too late to jump on them.

You would think they would have learned after the avengers and releasing a destiny game 7 years after loot em ups were relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's not wrong though. I know of cases where people have put in 20-30 hours a week sitting on forums helping people just because they like the game. To the point the devs offered them a job but they didn't take it as they just like contributing.

Little big planet was another scenario where people put hours into making content for others to enjoy without any reward.

You could build a handy ecosystem. Something like Brave browser has. Where you can tip content creators you like with BAT tokens.

It's an exciting time to see publishers looking at new technologies. Hopefully they find the right balance to make it work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the many insidious aspects of late capitalism is that it’s tricked many people into thinking their time is ‘wasted’ if they’re not rewarded or earning money with it. The Sqenix statement is a perfect example of that warped mindset. Similarly to how many NFT artists have no interest in the artistry of what they’re buying (mostly the ugliest, most insipid art imaginable) but merely interested in it as their shortcut to an imaginary fortune.

I know it’s a meme, but I say this seriously: let people enjoy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the issue is, as with all similar things which have occurred in the games industry over the years, is that because a minority of gamers end up spending more money in the game after release, games will start becoming more tailored to encouraging that in order to increase revenue from those people. This is just the next stage in microtransactions, cosmetics, lootboxes, XP boosts, battle passes etc.

Pull things out of the game and tailor & shape games to encourage continued post-release revenue to the detriment of the game itself and those who "play to have fun" because they can make more money long-term from people dumb enough to want to buy an in-game hat with a personalised ape picture on it.

Its the same **** as we had when publishers tried to monetise mods. It completely blew up in their face. Coding has always had an amateur altruistic underbelly (as a former game dev I know the best coders have the best google abilities) and it's just another example of shareholders wanting to exploit this work.

They'll be told to **** off as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Nvidia have finally announced the desktop RTX 3050 card. Don't expect stellar performance, but should run better than a GTX1060 and hopefully suck enough for crypto bros to ignore. Going by the US price it should be around €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft announced that its Ubisoft+ subscription service will be coming to Xbox in the future. Originally launched for PC, the service allows access to more than 100 Ubisoft titles at a single monthly cost, with games and DLC available on launch day, and monthly rewards including cosmetics, boosters, in-game items, and more. But that's not all -- Ubisoft also announced that Rainbow Six Extraction will be a day one addition for Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass members, allowing them to play on Xbox consoles and PC right from the game's launch on January 20.

• Advertisement

Just saw that 'Days Gone' is trending on Twitter, clicked it to see DG director (who has since left Bend Studios) has taken a dig at Sony for making it seem like it was a sus disappointment even though they sold more than the recently celebrated 8mil of Ghost of Tsushima. Also comments that he wasn't happy the sequel was shot down with no real explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He sounds butt hurt, using another game to make his game look better. Get over it Jeff! GoT is far better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah but you accounted for 6 million copies, so Sony had a point... 😁

Hey Hey i only bought it 3 times :)

The other director and Jeff are doing an interview post Days Gone, should be interesting even if they say it will be civil. I know DG is a love/hate game but I had way more fun with it than GoT. Interesting to see it sell the same numbers.

EXCLUSIVE: Prime Video's series adaptation of worldwide bestselling game franchise Fallout, from Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy's Kilter Films, is coming together. Nolan is set to direct the premiere of the series, which is slated to begin production in 2022. Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel) and Graham Wagner (Silicon Valley) have come aboard as showrunners.

The world of Fallout is one where the future envisioned by Americans in the late 1940s explodes upon itself through a nuclear war in 2077. The magic of the Fallout world is the harshness of the wasteland set against the previous generation's utopian idea of a better world through nuclear energy. It is serious and harsh in tone, yet sprinkled with moments of ironic humor.

Fallout, the TV series, is from Amazon Studios and Kilter Films in association with Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks, with executive producers Nolan, Joy and Athena Wickham for Kilter Films; Todd Howard for Bethesda Game Studios' and James Altman for Bethesda Softworks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Pure numbers of copies is not really comparing like for like - Days Gone was regularly on sale for less than half price within a few months of launch, then went free on PS+ a year later. Ghost has remained full price since release, has had more sales through paid DLC and a directors cut, and has only recently started to see modest discounts. GoT had a shorter dev time too, so in terms of profitability I'd say it's likely miles ahead of Days Gone.

The fact that GoT has been so heavily critically acclaimed means a sequel would have much more hype around it than a DG sequel too, not that there's even any talk of a GoT2 that I'm aware of.

That guy does seem to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder as he's popped up a few times previously to have a moan about not getting a sequel while making Peter Molyneux level claims about the amazing features it would have had.

And it's not like Sony shut the studio or laid off staff or anything, he's one of just a couple of people that left. The rest of Bend Studio have since released a PC port of Day's Gone, and are now reportedly working on another new original IP of their own in parallel with being entrusted with some project work related to Naughty Dog IP.

Huh. Surprised by that, but they had better ensure the tone remains. Fallout requires that arch, wry smile and broad satirical leanings in its kitbag; if the Adaptation takes things seriously I'll be quickly turned off.

• Advertisement

I question how it would work on TV, the bleak dark reality of the post apocalypse married to the quirky black humour.

Advertisement