Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I agree with this and think schools will open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hospital figures were going up by 10% the last few days. There's been as many positive cases of Covid over the Christmas period as there was in all of 2020 and the outlook is around 20,000 cases per day with pcr appointments rarer than hens teeth. Hospitals are under huge pressure staffing wise as the leading headline on RTE states. Add in the number of teachers and students who will either be positive, sick or close contacts come Thursday and it would be seriously Not sensible to think that it needs serious consideration as to whether it would be sensible to open schools and further exasperate the situation.

Absenteeism of staff at hospitals and schools is a serious consideration and rightly so. Time and numbers will tell a lot.

That was the experience of my relatives too. They’d kids in the early stages of primary school and the online teaching consisted of an email and work sheets being posted home and maybe 1 very feeble attempt at an online (pre recorded) class.

They got more support from Home School Hub, TG4 and just doing their own home teaching than from the school.

Like most things, you can’t generalise. Some teachers were phenomenal, others really didn’t pull their weight and hide behind the outstanding work of some of their exemplary and enthusiastic colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

You'd better get in quick so and book the Computer room if the once a week email from home option is ruled out for you this January.

Hospital figures falling nicely?

12 Dec - 193

19 Dec - 233

26 Dec - 324

1 Jan - 656.

Yeah, dropping like a stone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Texting colleagues today and most of use are close contacts or positive! I'm locked down for the next few days, will be able to go back to work if I do a few more negative antigens. This is the same all over the place. Schools will probably open but there will be a lot of free class (secondary level).

Someone asked about about leave. Lots of principals saying on Twitter how they don't know,they haven't been given guidance on leave. We're hoping a positive antigen will be enough, but maybe not.

I'm absolutely dreading online teaching again. Very almost made me walk away from teaching last summer. We do a full timetable of live classes, very little engagement from students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

School closures at this stage should be an absolute last resort.

Pubs, restaurants, household visits should all be banned before we consider closing schools again.

So you think there should be a level 5 lockdown if schools are short-staffed?

Staffing is a separate issue and should be looked at on a school by school basis. Some may have to close but that is very different from closing all schools.

My position is further school closures will start to have societal issues due to the sheer numbers involved in missing education. Especially at primary level and especially for special needs kids. There are vital milestones that must be met.

So yes in a way if the health system is so drastically affected then level 5 restrictions are preferable for me than simply schools closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ah but it’s people getting out and then going back after the break because they’d be bored at home didn’t you know?

It doesn’t matter anyway as the ICU number is the only game in town and even that doesn’t matter because they were all going to kick it eventually anyway.

Let it rip. But those godforsaken unions will scream blue murder and deny the childer an education for who knows how long.

• Advertisement

The thread seems to moving a long quite nicely with a few non-teachers contributing but is probably in danger of going off topic so I won't rise to this obvious attempt to derail the tread yet again.

Good luck next week to parents, teachers and our students. Let’s hope all stay safe and students get the best teaching possible under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Where did you pull those figures out of? They are completely innacurate.

There was 682 in hospital on Nov 28.

By mid December it was still over 400.

The lowest number on xmas eve occured as the hospitals thmeselves had reduced overall occupancy for the festive period by finishing up electives. With fewer patients on site there is a lower chance of in house infection. In the last 24 bours discharges of covid patients were twice that of new arrivals, however hosipatal detected (ie patients in for something else) meant that a potential fall of over 60 in total was reduced to 10.

What is telling though is that ICU case numbers are down about 20% from about a month ago despite the tsunami of Omicron cases.

Between boosters/vaccines and natural immunity along with Omicron as opposed to Alpha & Delta we are nowhere near where we were 12 months ago. We need to go back to school and get on with teaching.

So 'no' but kind of 'yes'. Societal issues my eye - society will not crumble if kids are not physically in school for a few weeks. Lots of them won't and don't show up for various reasons anyway (though the Minister for Ed doesn't talk about these........ever. A sense of perspective will be needed whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Icu is down. That really is the only important figure going forward. We are told that we are probably at 40k cases a day and hospital icu's are really being impacted. Schools will open. I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Gov.ie - Google it.

By the way, do not lecture me on what we need to do in schools. Keep your arrogance for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m baffled that anyone can find certainty in these times. I think there is doubt about everything at the minute in relation to schools. As someone above said, I’ll believe I’m back when I’m standing in my classroom on Thursday morning.

@Rosita, as @joebloggs32 says “Where did you pull those figures out of? They are completely inaccurate”. I’ve looked at Gov.ie and those are not accurate figures you are referencing.

edited as I didn’t see Rosie’s response a few posts above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah. The best teaching is not firing off one email a week you'd surely agree?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'm not lecturing anybody.

Simply pointing out factual innacuracy on your numbers of patients in hospital.

I then simply gave my view on why we should go back to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Regardless of the effects of covid on children and anyone they come in contact with, if the basic premise that you are to isolate if you test postive from PCR/antigen test, there will be a proportion of those 20K+ cases a day who are teachers. If there are enough teachers absent in a school next week where the school cannot stay open due to sub shortages, schools will send year groups home or close. It will be largely irrelevant how many children attend, if there aren't enough teachers present to teach/supervise, then the school will shut regardless of what NPHET/Dept of Health/Dept of Education say.

My school was spread very thin in December for cover with teachers out. All extra curricular activities were cancelled as we couldn't provide cover for those teachers and those that were absent due to covid. We have a number of student teachers and they are flat to the mat covering classes.

Definitely! I do agree.

But unfortunately - as can be seen from the parents posting in this thread - teachers firing off one email a week is fairly common and likely to happen again if we have another lockdown. I know some of my colleagues will be doing this … it’s already being discussed on our staff WhatsApp.

I'd be certain you will be. There is no logical reason for any further restrictions or closure to happen. The government and nphet created uncertainty earlier in the pandemic with mixed messages and closures. But those variants of covid were a different ball game. It has to be said that they were really mild for school going children to though. Omicron over the last 2-3 weeks has proven to be the end game. We are almost there now. Let the kids back and we will see this out. Anything else is just delaying a full reopening of our economy and a full return of our liberties. I think it's to much of a political suicide not to ooen up now. Omicron will not impact anyone including teachers in the schools. I assume teachers are vaxxed.

I hope you're calling them out for their shoddy approach to the education of the children in their care.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

You don't seem to grasp the statistics.

Yes you are more likely to die from a road crash... But road deaths aren't transmitted through the air in enclosed spaces or on surfaces!

As I said above, it's not about you or pupils or the general population who aren't that disrupted by COVID (I had it myself and wasn't too bad). It's about keeping our health service ticking over. When they get overrun it'll be cancelled operations, cancer treatments postponed and decisions about who lives and dies in ICU .

Consider the possibility of health system is crashing and not only that but yet another variant Comes through !!

Yes I am - both in person and you can see me doing the same on boards. I’m also calling out other teachers who are defending and denying this is happening.

i hope you are too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Pot kettle black springs to mind.

God I hope you're not a teacher with that kind of flippant attitude to school closures.

Probably really off topic but i think we actually need to stop with the PCR testing. It should only be done now for hospital admissions. Thay would help us moce on quicker. And put nphet out of the picture too.

A really obscure website called gov.ie.

Here are two recent dates for comparison. I suggest you contact the HSE or Nphet to correct them as Holohan definitely seems to think that hospitalisations are increasing. Anyway, I've had enough of this nonsense.

Statement from the National Public Health Emergency Team - Sunday 27 December

From Department of Health 

Published on 27 December 2020

Last updated on 29 December 2020

As of 8am today, 324 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 26 are in ICU. There have been 50 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:

"We have seen a significant increase in the number of hospitalisations in the last two weeks from less than 190 to 324 today. This indicates a deteriorating disease trajectory nationally and is a significant reminder of the severity of this disease.

For comparison:

Statement from the National Public Health Emergency Team - Friday 31 December 2021

From Department of Health 

Published on 31 December 2021

Last updated on 31 December 2021

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 20,110* confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of 8am today, 682 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 86 are in ICU.

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:

“Once again, we are reporting another very high number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland. The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 is continuing to increase.

Yeah I do understand all that.

What do you suggest we do now considering we probably have as high a vaccination rate as possible.

• Advertisement

You are completely misinterpreting that data. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s not on purpose.

Take a look at the @joebloggs32 data linked above - that is far more accurate and relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm convinced we'll open, I'm not sure if it's the right call or not to be honest, but I do think it's what will happen. At least at second level. Thwre is probably an argument to be made about delaying the reopening of primary to allow the vaccine rollout to happen, I haven't really seen many people call for that though, so maybe not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ok.

Stop pcr testing and dismantle nphet and 'return our liberties'

I understand exactly where you are coming from now.

?? Yes stop PCR testing. it's the only way to end the mas hysteria about the daily numbers. Which aren't even accurate. NPHET are telling us this. So whats the benefit to doing them? None. Lets get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Golfwidow

Yes, I agree! As a teacher who worked hours daily from the first lockdown online and offline, communicating with parents, doing live lessons and recording lessons for those who couldn’t attend live, correcting and more… ( mostly 12-13 hour days), I am very tired of so much teacher bashing. Yes, some teachers did not do as much as others - this was usually down to individual school policy and poor school leadership in most of these cases. However, many schools including my own went above and beyond because we truly care and worry about our students and their families. Right now, we have problems employing enough substitutes to cover teacher absence and I worry that the constant negativity towards teachers is going to have harsh consequences for our future generations as this career path becomes less attractive to potential students. Who would want to enter a profession about which the media/ social media seems to welcome derogatory comments? Some teachers are now retiring earlier/ changing careers/ going abroad because of such negativity and disrespect. Isn’t there good and bad in every profession? Don’t people ever consider that teachers were thrown into the first lockdown like everyone else and many had no skills and quite often little IT equipment to teach online. Many of us used/ bought our own equipment. It was not provided by the Department of Education and Skills. I know of a teacher who had to record her lessons in a car park on the grounds of a hotel because her internet at home wasn’t adequate but she did this right through the lockdown to help her students. Aren’t we all in this together? The majority of teachers care greatly about the mental health of their students and their families but who actually cares about the mental health of teachers?

Actually I won't look at any more data. If the CMO says that hospitalisations are increasing that'll do me. That's an English sentence with actual words. We don't need Isaac Newton to explain it, or Dr Goebbels to give us an acceptable interpretation of it for us.

Thanks be to God these boards are anonymous - hopefully in 10 years time nobody will be able to trace the fact that I was discussing hospitalisations with a teacher like you who won't even do their own job never mind organising the Health Service.

Again, and with the greatest respect, you are misunderstanding and/or misinterpreting the data you are referencing.

I’m not sure if you are doing this on purpose to suit your own agenda. Hopefully you simply don’t understand what you are reading.

Edited to say - it’s always worrying when someone says “I won’t look at any more data” because I’ve found something (that I don’t understand anyway) that suits my own agenda. Particularly worrying when a teacher says that, and bordering on unethical and immoral research integrity and research practice. Hopefully that’s an approach NOT adopted by teachers on this thread when in the classroom.

I just can't see how they'll open on the 6th. A good number of my neighbours have contacted covid over the holidays. It's absolutely rampant. The daily numbers are only a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

• Advertisement

Are you actually serious?! You admit to your version of teaching from home is sending one email a week to pupils and then you have the nerve to lecture another teacher about their approach to teaching?! Have you no self awareness?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Pen, you're wasting your energy.

There used to be a poster called Katydid with a very similar style of posting to Teachinggal. Make an incendiary statement, wait for someone to respond. Focus on one small element of the response and harp on until all discussion becomes tangled in minutia and is rendered meaningless. If she could keep somebody on the hook long enough she would eventually claim to be a victim of unfair treatment, which would spark another chain of responses. With Katydid it was all about getting a response, any response, to make her feel part of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

I will go to work Tuesday and everyone of the 20 employees will be in , reason being our employer will not pay for absence through covid and this is true of the vast majority of workers In this country

Do you see where I am going here

I don't want to get into a tit for tat thing here

Lets leave at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tit for tat. That's exactly what you're aiming to do. You can't guarantee everyone will be in your workplace on Monday. We are told to stay home if we have covid. Plenty of places of employment are struggling because of staff being out for covid. Schools are not unique in this regard, only students cannot be left unsupervised if a teacher is absent. To imply that teachers should just go to work if they have covid is irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Only issue with this is that they've scheduled the LC oral exams to take place the first week of the Easter holidays. Both couldn't happen at the same time (since the whole reason for moving them is said to be because of staffing issues) so it would have to be one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

I can guarantee my fellow employees will be there , all highly paid and bills to pay, we are not going to take 350 Into our hand, Teachers don't

We have known since March 2020 we are all not in this together

Let's leave it there , Teachers will do what they do because they can

Private sector people like me will do what we have to, we have no choice

• Advertisement

A lot of talking into the mirror in that house by the sounds of things!

Advertisement