Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The poster linked to a town hall event where Biden misspoke, and an article showing how media reports were taken out of context when considering the message in its entirety, the CDC said she was “speaking broadly” and more research was needed.

Yet no Fauci link.

So you went to the effort of adding more links to the two people I had already linked to, but didn't link to the person I couldn't find a link to? Why is that exactly?

Did you spread misinformation or not? Where is this link to what Fauci said?

It doesn't just seem to the case that I think that, it seems to be objectively the case that you're doing that.

Did you make a general comment as to the effectiveness of a booster based on this one person?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I was just explaining the effect it had on 'this one person' so if the effect that she had happened to her then it's quite possible it will happen to a few others. The effectiveness the booster vaccine had on this one person was a very bad exerience to say the least. I didn't think it was a problem to explain a persons experience of the booster vaccine. There is no malevolence in my previous comment or any of my comments but yet, my comment was Deleted. I think its time to pack up this boards.ie trash-can. Reddit it is.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Did you receive a message from a mod explaining why it was deleted?

• Advertisement

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I'm not certain that Fauci explicitly said that vaccines prevent transmission. I know he said that vaccines make people a "dead end" for the virus, but I believe that he said it in the context of being very hopeful that they prevent transmission, which isn't the same thing. He also said that "there will always be breakthrough infections but that's a very rare event", which as we know is not true, but was probably in accordance with the data at the time. Fauci was also in my head after reading some of his earlier masking advice, but that's another issue. So I'll retract that and just stick with the two you demonstrated yourself (for starters—again, plenty of other examples out there for anyone who cares to do some internet archaeology).

In any case, the specific people saying that vaccines prevent infection is largely irrelevant to my original point—that it is misinformation to say "No one has ever claimed it gave immunity from infection." That has been sufficiently demonstrated with examples from the President of the United States and the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Reddit has also been cracking down heavily on misinformation, probably more than boards has been.

They do that.

Probably belongs in the vaccine side effects thread.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I'd PM a mod of the forum and ask. You'll not get a response here.

• Advertisement

Excuse me, my comments and the one that was deleted by the moderator were not misinformation by any stretch of your imagination. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my comments.

I'm not certain that Fauci explicitly said that vaccines prevent transmission. I know he said that vaccines make people a "dead end" for the virus, but I believe that he said it in the context of being very hopeful that they prevent transmission, which isn't the same thing. He also said that "there will always be breakthrough infections but that's a very rare event", which as we know is not true, but was probably in accordance with the data at the time. Fauci was also in my head after reading some of his earlier masking advice, but that's another issue. So I'll retract that and just stick with the two you demonstrated yourself (for starters—again, plenty of other examples out there for anyone who cares to do some internet archaeology).

That's a very long, roundabout way of saying that you was mistaken, but I do appreciate that you have the guts to admit you were wrong, even if it took a few posts of asking for you to do it. Would you like to link to some more examples that you suggest exist instead?

In any case, the specific people saying that vaccines prevent infection is largely irrelevant to my original point—that it is misinformation to say "No one has ever claimed it gave immunity from infection." That has been sufficiently demonstrated with examples from the President of the United States and the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Why do you believe e.g. Biden said that? Do you think he believed that was true? Do you think he knew it wasn't true but was purposefully lying in the hopes that no one would notice? Do you think he misspoke? Or was he simply exaggerating in a "you're not going to die in a car crash if you wear a seatbelt" kind of way?

If you're leaving for Reddit anyway, would you like to try reposting what you said?

No. I'd like the moderator of which removed my previous comment to add it back to the page it was removed from as the comment word for word would be clear. Ah what's the point. Good luck.

Would you like to link to some more examples that you suggest exist instead?

That is unnecessary, since I have proven my point. Anyone interested can do their own searching.

Why do you believe e.g. Biden said that? Do you think he believed that was true? Do you think he knew it wasn't true but was purposefully lying in the hopes that no one would notice? Do you think he misspoke? Or was he simply exaggerating in a "you're not going to die in a car crash if you wear a seatbelt" kind of way?

I don't think it's relevant regardless of why he or anyone else said it.

To go back, my point was and remains that "No one has ever claimed it gave immunity from infection" is an untrue statement. It's misinformation to state it. I've made no additional claims beyond demonstrating that point.

Do you think it's misinformation to say that "No one has ever claimed [the Covid vaccines] gave immunity from infection"?

You should contact a mod then. If it's deleted and you haven't received a message, it's usually because a comment is so obviously misinformation that a comment isn't warranted.

If you don't believe that's the case, contact a mod to find out what happened.

To go back, my point was and remains that "No one has ever claimed it gave immunity from infection" is an untrue statement.

Of course that's an untrue statement. There are nearly 8 billion people on the planet, some of which think crazy things like the Earth is flat or Trump is a good person. At least one person saying something like that isn't particularly shocking.

However, the fact that you don't seem to care about why certain people said it, or the context in which they said it, is interesting. It seems like you just want to demonstrate that some poster you were conversing with before me was wrong, is that right?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The thing is you need to look at the actual data. The promise was that vaccines would 95% effective at preventing serious illness when it comes to Covid. So even for serious illness it was expected that on average the vaccine would be ineffective 5% of the time. And that's before looking at reduced complications from Covid that a vaccine provides. So people were never promised that they would never get Covid.

You need to look at what the actual scientists say not random journalists who have limited expertise. Even for people with expertise you need to look at context. And that goes for everything and not just Covid.

Now will vaccines and boosters end the pandemic they probably will. Look at Ireland current case load compared to hospitalisations and compare to pre vaccination. There is a complete sea change. You can also do similar comparisons to Ireland and places with lower rates of vaccination.

Yes, that's right. I'm not sure why it's "interesting". You seem to spend enough of your own time combating what you believe to be misinformation. Why would you be confused about someone else doing the same?

When you get to the likes of POTUS, CDC director, Rachel Madden and other journos/commentators, I don't think that why someone said it is important. The fact that they said it at all and did so from their huge platforms is, particularly when there is a failure to retract and apologise/explain. Giving people the impression that they cannot be infected by or transmit a pandemic virus after vaccination when that's not true and the pandemic is ongoing is dangerous.

Again—not sure how this relates at all to my post.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's right. I'm not sure why it's "interesting". You seem to spend enough of your own time combating what you believe to be misinformation. Why would you be confused about someone else doing the same?

Because you're not comparing like with like. You've targeted someone specifically with your misinformation, presumably because of your political beliefs, which is why it is of significance. That form of misinformation is politicising a pandemic.

When you get to the likes of POTUS, CDC director, Rachel Madden and other journos/commentators, I don't think that why someone said it is important.

And, as you said, you don't care about the context either. Why is that?

The fact that they said it at all and did so from their huge platforms is, particularly when there is a failure to retract and apologise/explain. Giving people the impression that they cannot be infected by or transmit a pandemic virus after vaccination when that's not true and the pandemic is ongoing is dangerous.

Hypothetically, let's ignore the context etc. and let's assume that you're right. If what Biden said lead to more people being vaccinated, would that be a good or a bad thing in your mind?

Because you're not comparing like with like. You've targeted someone specifically with your misinformation, presumably because of your political beliefs, which is why it is of significance. That form of misinformation is politicising a pandemic.

I didn't target someone specifically because of my political beliefs. I posted three names, and was mistaken with one of them. Fauci skirted very close to saying that vaccines prevent transmission, but didn't actually say it. When I realised that, I retracted. You even gave me a backhanded compliment for it.

And, as you said, you don't care about the context either. Why is that?

I didn't say I don't care about context. I very specifically mentioned the context of their huge platforms.

Hypothetically, let's ignore the context etc. and let's assume that you're right. If what Biden said lead to more people being vaccinated, would that be a good or a bad thing in your mind?

A bad thing. I believe very strongly in informed consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Good to see ppl finally accepting that it was a common narrative in the media/public health circuit that these vaccines either prevented transmission or were highly efficacious at same. The vaccines were sold to ppl on a false premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm double vaccinated but I don't think I'll go for the booster until I need to for vaccine certs (if those will still be a thing by then). I'm early 30s and healthy, the vaccines were originally sold to under 40s to protect others by making it less likely to catch and transmute the virus to others. I don't think is the case anymore, I've probably got about a 1 in 20,000 chance ending up in hospital if u do catch covid so why would or should I want a booster vaccine?

I didn't target someone specifically because of my political beliefs. I posted three names, and was mistaken with one of them. Fauci skirted very close to saying that vaccines prevent transmission, but didn't actually say it. When I realised that, I retracted. You even gave me a backhanded compliment for it.

Do you like any of the three people that you used as an example?

I didn't say I don't care about context. I very specifically mentioned the context of their huge platforms.

Great. Would you like to explain why you posted a link that explains what Rochelle Walensk had said out of context, when I had already posted a link explaining what she had said in context? Why did you go to the bother of finding that link?

A bad thing. I believe very strongly in informed consent.

Informed consent? Is Biden a doctor? Is Biden giving you the vaccine? A politician told what you believe to be a white lie and thereby saved lives. How do you feel about someone suggesting that bleach would do the trick and would thereby lead to the opposite result, i.e. more deaths?

Regardless, it is clearly the case that Biden was merely exaggerating, given the context.

The media did not suggest vaccines prevented transmission. The media have always stated percentages with regards to transmission and vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

That's a very nice contribution to the thread. Would you like to talk about boosters at all?

Where did you get the 1 in 20,000 figure from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

So the President of the US can say whatever he likes and be excused because he “misspoke” and not only that, the person who mentions it has to start reading his mind to make excuses for him? No offence but if I was MT I would bid you goodnight sir and sweet dreams.

Advertisement