Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, duploelabs and matchbox2021 drop this nonsense or face threadbans

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I had to look up the "lets go brandon" meme cause I don't follow that kind of nonsense online

It was pretty funny what that fella did even if though was really disrespectful so I can see both sides

It's not particularly clever or incisive criticism of Bidens policies, it does show how polarised US politics has become, but that's hardly something we needed pointed out either

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Is that phrased wrong? Is it 60% of the unvaccinated are republicans ...or 60% of republicans are unvaccinated?

I suspect its the first which is obviously not good, but if it is the second then its poor phrasing looking for those sweet retweets.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It is the first one, yeah. Of the unvaccinated, 60% are Republicans (or Republican-leaning independents).

It's either poorly phrased, or an incorrect interpretation of that data.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PUP6SZ3SIZEGNPXBNVZ3SEEZ6Q.png&w=916

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's certainly not Biden's fault, but I wonder how the party breakdown looks when it comes to cases? I seem to recall that the Democrats least likely to be vaccinated are African Americans who live in high density areas like cities (Houston certainly was such a case) and probably are ripe for transmission, while unvaccinated Republicans are often the redneck types who live "out yonder" and don't interact with as many people. Some who live in the back end of Wyoming for example may be choosing to not vax simply out of a belief (misguided or not) that it's not as great a concern for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I really don't get BAME demographics refusing the vax, especially when they usually live, in the UK anyway, in dense cities. Those are the places they are more likely to pick it up. It's quite bizarre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They’re being lied to by religious nuts. The black population in the US tends to be very religious, the stories about the vaccine being made from dead babies huts the and the evangelicals.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, it's historical distrust of the government in many cases. And who can blame them? But sure, labeling them as religious fundamentalists will totally help 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I see that "experiment" mentioned a lot but it's from the 1930's how relevant is it really.

I never see the earlier syphylis experiments that involved mixed populations, MK Ultra, the Bio Weapons Subway tests of the 1960's and numerous tests of biological agents on military personnel, Gulf War syndrome, Swine flu vaccine and narcolepsy mentioned as justified reasons for vaccine hesitancy among the wider population.

Its only when hesitancy among the black population is brought up that justifications are looked for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Its only when hesitancy among the black population is brought up that justifications are looked for

Well that’s one way of looking at it. It’s exactly the same when other populations are looked at that justifications are looked for - the Wakefield study for example is often cited as being influential in increasing vaccine hesitancy among the population who find ‘scientific evidence’ appeals to them.

There are other explanations proffered as justifications for vaccine hesitancy such as ‘attachment parenting’, more popular among liberals than conservatives, ironically enough it was a method of parenting promoted by religious nut jobs.

And speaking of religious nut jobs, there are few more nut jobby than Rev. Cotton Mather, he of Salem Witch Trials fame, who was less famous for his fervour in promoting vaccination among his congregation, and came to be viewed rather suspiciously himself because of his views (I’m sure the irony wasn’t lost on him) -

In 1716, Onesimus, one of Mather's slaves, explained to Mather how he had been inoculated as a child in Africa. Mather was fascinated by the idea. By July 1716, he had read an endorsement of inoculation by Dr Emanuel Timonius of Constantinople in the Philosophical Transactions. Mather then declared, in a letter to Dr John Woodward of Gresham Collegein London, that he planned to press Boston's doctors to adopt the practice of inoculation should smallpox reach the colony again.

Essentially, people who are socioeconomically deprived (regardless of their ethnicity) have more reason to be suspicious of vaccination programmes than those people who are affluent and less likely to be impacted by disease, and that’s why vaccine hesitancy is increasing among affluent populations too - they regard vaccines as unnecessary given they are less likely to be impacted by disease. That’s not the case for populations who do not have access to the same standard of healthcare, so even while they might be hesitant and suspicious of vaccine programmes, the reality of a diseases impact can often mean the outcomes of their choices are rather more starkly laid out.

I didn’t label anyone as a “religious fundamentalists”, unless you have a much broader definition of what that means than I do.

Of course they mistrust the government, they have plenty of good reasons to mistrust authority

they/them/theirs

To be fair, I don’t think there was any other way to interpret your suggestion that black people who tend to be more religious are being lied to by religious nuts, ie - they don’t mistrust authority, they are beholden to a different authority, but they do have every reason to be suspicious of medical and scientific authorities and indeed Government in the US, given how they have been treated throughout history by white society -

My post didn’t need “interpretation”, it was pretty straightforward

they/them/theirs

Yes, it was pretty straightforward - you were suggesting that it’s because black people are more religious that they are hesitant about vaccines because they are being lied to by religious nutters. ‘Fundamentalists’ was simply a more polite interpretation of the same thing - nutters.

ceadaoin’s point was that calling them nutters doesn’t help. It doesn’t, it only increases suspicion of people who want them to get vaccinated. History doesn’t help, because it’s littered with examples of how black people have been treated by white society, which makes it easier for religious nutters to propagate lies, y’know, like this -

Identifying them as religious nutters, doesn’t help, if your aim is to convince their audience that they’re being lied to. That’s just name calling,

Identifying them as religious nutters, doesn’t help, if your aim is to convince their audience that they’re being lied to. That’s just name calling,

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Perhaps black people who refuse to be vaccinated "ain't black" to quote the subject of this thread 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

No, what it is is just yet another example of how the Dems and Republicans really aren't all that different.

Ok, I politely disagree.

I’m not attempting to convince anyone though.

they/them/theirs

So now they're grovelling looking for help after months of deliberately making the situation worse. Bunch of dangerous fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

They wont be getting any from NYC.

Theirs are reserved for non whites only.

I think they're a bunch of more dangerous fools.

You love to be outraged, don’t you?

Medical treatment isn’t “reserved for non-whites only”, it’s prioritised for at risk groups. If you’re white and in a risk group you’ll be prioritised.

What they’ve done is define certain minorities as risk groups, because generally they have more pre existing conditions. This saves doctors time in decision making and saves lives. But go ahead and be outraged because Fox “news” are sounding the outrage bell

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Celticfire

What they’ve done is define certain minorities as risk groups, because generally they have more pre existing conditions.

That is most certainly not what they have done. They have identified anyone that is non white as being a risk factor. Not certain minorities. You find out about pre existing conditions by taking a medical history not make assumptions based on race.

Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor

The New York Governor has thrown her two cents in also declaring Racism is a "Public Health Emergency"

Right, let’s say they are prioritising non-whites, just because they’re not white.*

why? What’s the rationale behind it?

*they aren’t. They are making risk assessment quicker.

they/them/theirs

I didn't say they were prioritising non whites. I said that they considered being non white a risk factor. Being non white is a risk, same as a heart condition, diabetes, cancer etc. If you think that this has any medical validity I'd love to hear it.

The rational behind it is " systemic  health and social inequities" .

The plan includes a section on eligibility for the scarce antiviral pills that people must meet to receive the treatment, including a line stating a person needs to have "a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness."

One such "risk factor" is being a race or ethnicity that is not White due to "longstanding systemic health and social inequities"

Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19," the memo reads.

https://news.yahoo.com/york-says-prioritize-non-white-171224095.html

So non white people have an increased risk of severe illness and death because of social inequalities? Why don’t they just ‘prioritize’ poor people then? Can anyone explain that to me?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It’s a judgement they’ve made based on the available data available. The NY department of healthy made the decision, they’ve decided it’s medically valid. Not me.

I can see the reasoning. In NYC, poor people are more likely to be people of colour. So on balance of probability, when triaging patients to prioritise care it makes complete sense. Urgency is the issue here. Speeding up the process is the intent. Why do you think they’re doing it? You don’t seem to have an answer.

they/them/theirs

Prioritising poor people is exactly what they are doing. See my answer to the other poster. It’s a data driven decision.

they/them/theirs

Links to a Fox article then proceeds to call someone else "dangerous fools." The irony is amusing.

• Advertisement

What they’ve done is define certain minorities as risk groups, because generally they have more pre existing conditions. This saves doctors time in decision making and saves lives. But go ahead and be outraged because Fox “news” are sounding the outrage bell.

Straight off the bat you've been wrong. It's not certain minority groups but anyone non white. There used to be a name for decisions being made off the colour of your skin.

It’s a judgement they’ve made based on the available data available. The NY department of healthy made the decision, they’ve decided it’s medically valid. Not me.

But you're here standing up for it, making excuses. A judgement you're quite happy to defend. What's the medical risk associated with being non white? We've been told to follow the science , what's the scientific basis to consider being non white a risk, the same as heart conditions, cancer , disease etc? You know? Medical stuff that you go to a doctor for?

Why do you think they’re doing it? You don’t seem to have an answer.

They have stated why the are doing it and I've already posted this.

The rational behind it is " systemic health and social inequities" .

Advertisement