Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not sure how many people have died over the past week, or their vaccination status. Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

How are vaccine passports effective now? As a tool to coerce people to get vaccinated they absolutely worked. As you've pointed out everyone is either vaccinated or hell bent against it so what benefit do we now get from the passports?

And for context here I’m 33, not at risk, and have had a booster, I’m not remotely anti vax. I’m against nonsensical restrictions and requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because it takes those most at risk from hospitalisation (the unvaccinated) away from locations that are high risk for transmission (hospitality). Note, it doesn't remove all those locations, as the aim is reduction rather than elimination. A few people misusing them doesn't change the fact that most people will use them properly or that establishments that verify with ID will catch them out.

And if they're "utterly pointless" why has the UK brought back their use?

We're still at 50% of COVID ICU being unvaccinated, if more unvaccinated were getting infected than that % would be higher still (as it is in countries with lower vax rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The sole reason for Covid passes was to get vax levels up as quickly as possible. Remember - we were promised they would be gone by October 22nd?

That seems to have slipped by the way-side, like alot of other promises made by these charlatans.

All mid-2021 restrictions were used to drive vaccination levels up, the trajectory of the virus having a seasonal peak and trough as experienced in 2020 was a blueprint to follow. The government knew this blue print and kept the stick of restrictions over us to drive forward vax levels. They fully expected that 90%+ vaccination levels would render Ireland with herd immunity. It has spectacularly backfired.

That wasn't the sole reason, it wasn't even the primary reason, repeating something you clearly completely and utterly misunderstand doesn't change the facts.

The fact is that the unvaccinated are over represented in hospital, when they are not, the pass will be dropped (my bet is before Summer).

• Advertisement

Is an unvaccinated/unrecovered person more likely to catch covid compared to a vaccinated/recovered person?

Is an unvaccinated/unrecovered person more likely to need hospital care compared to a vaccinated/recovered person?

If the answer to either is yes, that's a reason for covid certs (I will argue in light of Omicron, they are much much less important, but you don't go lifting restrictions etc... when you close to peak). I would fully expect them to be dropped after this wave as I'd hazard a guess the % of people who Covid will me novel to would be insignificant.

We'll have to wait for another few days for the hse to put out that data, but following on recent trends, it's probably 65% vaxxed and 35% unvaxxed.

WRT to the 35% we are never told how many of them couldn't have or it was pointless for them to take a vax.

99% of people who couldn't get vaccinated are under 12 and there has been no deaths in that age group. Meaning all of those deaths are in the 14+ group. Of them, there's a minute % who can't take a vaccine. That same argument has been trotted out in defense of the unvaccinated figure and they can't give a %.

Pointless to take a vaccine, I think the risk of death for those who died would be a good reason? I'm unsure who the pointless people are, maybe you can clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

679 in hospital as of 8pm, up 23 from this morning. 84 in ICU, unchanged from yesterday

How many of the unvaccinated in hospital were adversely affected by restrictions such as the Covid-pass before their admission with particular focus from September-December when peak vaccination was achieved.

I'll offer an opinion: Most of these folks were not born here and have little to no interest in frequenting Irish hospitality outlets.

But the twats in power thinking that the Covid-pass should still be used are by-and-large responsible for crashing the PCR system this week. A huge amount of people have no confidence now in the booster and instead are opting to "extend" their cert with a proof of immunity barcode.

• Advertisement

We have a 200k+ eastern European population amongst us here who are very sceptical of Government led initiatives, and for very good reasons... A sizable cohort of these couldn't be arsed frequenting alot of the Irish hospitality scene, no fault of them - it's just a reality. Yet anyone who wishes to frequent these establishments are hampered with mind-boggling restrictions.

They actually updated the file with the 8pm figure in the end!

ICU looking at going the same way as Denmark/SA and UK experience.... little to no increase. Considering that over 50% in ICU before being unvaccinated, it's certainly looking like Omicron is less severe/less likely needing to be ventilated etc...

The booster isn't part of the COVID-pass system.

Countries have been consistently extending their use and bringing them back in (e.g. the UK), unless there is some sort of groupthink going on, the reasons I outlined (reduce impact on healthcare systems) are the factual reasons they are still in use. The coercion aspect is long finished in Ireland and was never the primary reason (otherwise we'd have stopped them after hitting a certain %).

If Omicron mildness is a verified reality, I can see it being dropped sooner.

All countries are seeing pressure on the testing system, blaming the passes for it in Ireland is a bit disingenuous.

Whose the people who felt it was pointless to get vaccinated and who died? That's a new group for me.

I've heard of people not wanting it, their choice, there's a tiny group who can't take it, so the group who thought it was pointless...... is the eastern European? So what % of that eastern European group didn't get vaccinated? I'd say it's possibly a little higher % uptake then their home country? It's certainly not zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

We didn't stop them at a certain % because the cases never dropped as low as was hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Who are the “Pointless”? Eg, fit healthy people whose demographic was not statistically at risk as evidenced by all those UV who have had cv and recovered without requiring any medical care.

btw quite a few such local folk have taken part in a local clinical test for antibodies and one 16 year old was told she was “bursting with antibodies “.

With the greatest of respect to those who think differently not everyone needed the V.

We're talking about deaths here, if someone as you described felt it was 'pointless' to get a vaccine and they account for 35% of deaths (not my figures, they are the OP figures) it was hardly pointless for the to get vaccinated! In fact it most likely could have saved their life?

The booster isn't part of the COVID-pass system.

Yet. Although France have said it will be from January 15th.

The overpaid beasts awake from their Christmas slumber soon, I'll wait and see what joined up thinking/circle jerk they come up with regarding the pass then. I highly doubt it will be relegated.

Cause nobody dies now a days unless they have Covid19? Thankfully every other illness and even natural ripe old age has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Are you supposed to be replying to my post? If so, you should read what I said please.

• Advertisement

So unless Covid is the number 1 cause of deaths in Ireland you don't care?

Do you not think that in those who have died and were unvaccinated because it was pointless for them to get vaccinated is a little silly?

The fact if they got vaccinated they most likely would have lived is pointless?

If you followed the conversation the pointless remark was made about people dying from covid who were unvaccinated because it was pointless for them to get vaccinated. If you're asking me who the pointless people are, I didn't bring them up, you'll have to ask @Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Now let's try that graph again , but with ICU cases and deaths .....

Pointless people? What kind of muck is that?

There are, have been, and will continue to be unfortunate folks in our society who reach the end of their lives coupled with conditions that make it unviable to give them a Covid19 jab as it is utterly pointless in doing so. To say this needs explaining to you is a poor reflection on you for posting the above.

Red line illustrates the commencement of vaccines

I asked you to define the pointless (your actual words), who died from covid, unvaccinated because them getting the vaccine would be pointless and you replied with 200k+ Eastern European people.... etc...

And the England/NI/Wales/Scotland comparison. It was a comparison graph after all. Don't forget the ICU also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Last year Christmas day 8pm to New years day 8pm the hospital and ICU figures doubled.

The 8pm data needed to be 788 to have a doubled figure tonight and best of all the ICU figure has 3 fewer than the week before.

Pointless people and pointless in giving people vaccines who were weeks/days off the end of their lives are two very different scenarios, but yeah - go you, in trying to paint a picture to save your own face.

• Advertisement

22 folks died with Covid19 listed as one condition at time of death in the last week according to latest HSE figures. 35% of them being unvaccinated means that 7 or 8 folks out of ~620 normal deaths in any given Irish week died. Drill down further, and its' highly plausible that Covid19 was not directly the cause of their death. But sure, 35% of deaths is way more clickbaity.

Advertisement