Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

After years of caravanning in France I’ve never known a campsite wanting a deposit for breakages on a camping pitch, rental accommodation yes but camping pitch no, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭micase

Thanks,thought as much. Probably took the T&Cs up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Sequoia is a Sandaya from what I recall. We stay at their Cypsela site in Spain and they charge us €290 too but that is on a rental as you suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. Has anybody every been to Le Ruisseau?, it’s only 7km from Biarritz airport. Wondered if you would get away without a car. I normally do the ferry thing so would have the car but wondering if you’d get away with any campsite without one. Probably not I’m thinking!

Another one!, Has anybody been to La Baume or Holiday Green? I have been to La Baume previously but would like other views. My kids are a good deal older now (16,13,7)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hiya,

has anyone ever rented a roof box in Cork? I presume they’re a must have for the travel to France.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Try done deal or adverts. Probably get it as cheap as renting one for a few weeks.

I sold one myself on DD for 120 only last August. Had only used it for the annual trips abroad so in effect only 12 weeks use. Just wanted rid of as I changed the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I agree, watch DD and you shud get 1 for a bit more than renting for 2 wks and u have it. I bought 1 on DD for €150, 8 yrs ago. Haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Any alternative to Des Ormes up that part of the country?

It's gone rather pricey.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone been to either of the Yelloh sites, Sylvamar in Landes or Les Grands Pins in Gironde?

We'll have our own tent, so specifically interested in the campsite facilities/activities (mainly tennis and surf school) and surrounding area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I stayed in Le Grand Pins in 2019. Nice site, there's only one tennis court from what I remember (I think it was gravel) but we didn't have much trouble playing on it whenever we wanted. This was early June though so it wasn't too busy. The beach there is lovely and a nice 5-10 minute walk from the campsite, can't tell you anything about the surf though.

Have you tried La Croix du Vieux Pont?, near Paris and a great site if you want to go to Disney?, Aletrnatively Les Mouettes (about 20 mins from Roscoff) is a lovely site, nowhere near as many activities as Des Ormes though

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Stayed in Sylvamar with Kelair a couple of years ago. Found it to be an excellent site overall, particularly the restaurant. The shop wasn't great but there's an Inter Marche in the town. Outside there is a nice, small strip of shops, restaurants, ice cream parlours and bars and a cycle path and pedestrian path runs safely all the way to a beautiful beach just over 1km away. There is also ample free parking at the beach. Next to the campsite there was a night market on (I think) a Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Window Cabin and Family Window Cabin on the WB Yeats?

Almost €100 in the difference, but the descriptions and pictures on the Irish Ferries site are the same for both, bar the decks on which the cabins are located. But impossible to see what the extra money gets you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it seems that the family cabin can have a cot added without sacrificing a bed, so essentially its a bigger room with space for a cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Anyone have any experience of La Vallee in Normandy?

Seems like a nice site and all the historical stuff nearby.

Wonder what weather would be like last week in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Am curious about Le Ruisseau too if anyone has been...reviews seem very mixed on Trip Advisor, etc.

Are there any other recommendation for the Biarritz area, esp as will be looking at flying...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Myself and the wife flew into Biarritz a few years back for a week. We stayed in a Pierre Et Vacance apartment complex which had a pool and was reasonably priced, was very clean, was on a direct bus route from the airport and was also within walking from Biarritz centre. It was perfect for a couple but if you're bringing kids it's really not geared up for them.

There is however a caravan/ mobile home park just outside the town. As to its name or any recommendations I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

“Tesco are changing the value of Clubcard Vouchers from 1st Feb. Currently boosted to 4x their value, this is changing to 3x their value.

Good news, you can still get 4x the value when you exchange your vouchers by 31st Jan 2022.”

tweet from IF

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.

I’ve read a number of posts on this thread that mention that Tesco club card points have essentially paid for the ferry for the summer holidays for sole people.

Anyone able to explain to me how this works? I don’t do our main weekly shop in Tesco but there is one coming to the local town soon so that will be an option then.

I haven’t an iota how the Tesco club card scheme works - how much would you have to buy in a year to cover the cost of a ferry (or get a good chunk of it covered)?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

You get 1c (a point) per Euro spent. You can then redeem your points against either in-store shopping or selected partners who offer discounts at multiples of ClubCard points.

So if you spend €1000 in Tesco, you'll get €10 worth of ClubCard points which can be used as €30 towards Irish Ferries.

https://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/collecting/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just checking how the new French Pass Sanitaire rules will work - specifically for Teens.

I have read in different places that they apply to Age 18+ and 16+.

We are booked to go to France 3rd week in June. 2 Adults (fully vaccinated plus Booster) and 2 kids (both fully vaccinated but obviously not boosted). Kids will be 12 and 15 on arrival but the 15 year old is due to turn 16 while in France.

Debating delaying the holiday until after he turns 16 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

EDIT: the rules are indeed a wee bit complicated. My reading is that vaccinated kids are fine without boosters regardless of them being 15 or 16.

Our previous plan for a holiday in Ireland is now being revised after looking at the shocking prices of accomodation and ferry (we are on the continent) so we could be dealing with the rules in France yet ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

The Tesco scheme was a real beauty a couple of years ago. Not so much now, and particularly with the change from a 4x multiplier to just 3x, which is a significant difference.

There used to be a Tesco credit card as well. You not only got 1 point for every € spent on shopping, but also another point if you used the Tesco credit card to pay for that shopping, and then another point for every €2 you spent when using the card to pay for anything else. We got one of those cards and used to load everything on it, and then pay off in full each month. €500 car insurance, for example, would give you 250 points, which was €10 towards a ferry.

Then they changed it so it was 1 point for every €8 spent elsewhere, and since then, the Tesco credit card has been taken over by Avantcard, and now there are no bonus points for using the card at all.

Bit of an aside, but I remember once - probably as far back as around 2010 - there was a never-repeated offer one week where if you bought electrical equipment, you got half the price back in Clubcard points. My parents needed a new TV at the time and they bought one there for €400, using our clubcard. Bought one ourselves too, even though we didn't even need it. So for €400 outlay of our own cash, we had €400 in clubcard tokens, which became €1,600 of ferry credit. And we still had a new TV too!

Happy days.....

Agreed, we’ve just booked the boat and noticed a few changes. Only one voucher per booking now and a maximum of €125 (€500) as you enter anything higher when exchanging. So it looks like max you can allow against the cost is €250 (€1000) .

We had to do 2 separate bookings for each trip to avail of ours. Historically you could ring them and apply further vouchers when received.

Also had to pay in full which wasn’t the case previously. Still a €2000 return journey only costs us €1100 after applying the vouchers so it’s great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Just incase anyone has a similar experience I said I'd post to maybe save you some money.

Travelling to Roscoff this summer with Brittany Ferries and while adding a passenger and change of car online to my flexi ticket I was being quoted up to €700 extra! I was expecting some charge but not that much!

I decided to contact the Cork office and the lady on the phone was brilliant. She too was getting quoted a silly amount but she rang me back in minutes with all my changes added... For €24! Excellent customer service.

If I was quoted €200-300 online I would have paid it without question so if anyone is getting similar quotes for changes then give the office a call.

The lady did mention that bookings which are rolling over from year to year (we intially booked this in 2020) may be acting up when further changes are being made.

If in doubt... Call customer service.

So we are thinking of heading a bit further south this year, maybe to Bonne Anse Plage or Les Charmettes. These sites seem very big, I'm sure the kids would enjoy them but are they very noisy/packed? Have looked at a few youtube videos and it seems very busy. We'll be going first 2 weeks in July. Is there anything within walking distance outside of the campsite?

@54and56 I know you have stayed down that direction a few times but the owners direct site that I used to use seems to be obsolete now and all I can find are the likes of holidaylettings uk or vrbo, what site did you use for private owners? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks Webpal for this heads up.

I would have missed it.

Cashed in our Tesco Clubcard Vouchers at x4 today and paid for our Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Hi all, quick question on the ferry. There are 5 of us, 2adults 3 kids 6 to 11.

Are we able to stay in one cabin with our own blow up bed or do we have to get a second cabin.

Looking to book with Irish ferries cork roscoff.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just book a recliner seat with a cabin and don't use the seat that's what we do.

Advertisement