Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think McElroy will be pushing on soon. He is looking like a quality player. Barron in Munster could be the starter in Munster by the end of the season. He also looks quality. But, I am really crossing my fingers that one of Munsters young out halves steps up and takes the 10 shirt. My opinion, is Carberry is not able to stay injury free and he's not good enough. One of Crowley, Flannery or Healy could be our future international 10.

At Connacht, Prendergast could soon be knocking on the door. I think Blade will be close also and of course Hansen.

I still can't believe that Farrell doesn't rate Marty Moore! He's been great whenever I've seen him.

Stockdale has a lot of ground to cover to get back into the frame. I'm concerned about his recent injury profile. He's not strung a lot of playing time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Well its fair to say Ben Healy is not up to international level and probably never will be. The guy is so casual looks like he cant be bothered to break sweet. His physique tells the story lazy, no intensity. Casey should be no where near the Irish team Marmion schooled him once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Your judging him off a game post him being in lockdown for weeks between here and south Africa. You shouldn't.

No ones ass gets that big if you are in anyway active. He was outplayed by a guy Munster released.

I assume your talking about healy vs Arnold? They play different positions.

It's funny your saying healys chubby someone on the game thread said he was skinny.

• Advertisement

Healy. Well maybe skinny fat. his has a big ass and belly with small shoulders zero muscle. Tells it all about his mindset. He is happy with the cozy number 2 at munster. He got outplayed by a guy munster released

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I suspect he means Conor Fitz but I also suspect there’s little point engaging…

Again different positions. So the guy who was able to make his club debut at 19 and represented ireland as starting 10 at a 20s world Cup is cozy and "skinny fat" interesting take ill give you that. Wonder why Scotland where after him

No he said he mentioned Arnold. I know your right there's little point engaging. Iv probably not kept myself busy enough the last few days easy to get sucked I when your being lazy 🤣

Different positions? what are you on about? im talking about Healy he was very poor, very casual and very out of shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭theVersatile

So, apparently the guy who outpaced everybody else from his own kick to block down an opposition player to directly set up a try has "no intensity", is "very out of shape" and can't be bothered to "break sweet".

Congrats Jim, it's taken a record breaking 51 posts to make the block list.

Moving on from the fishing expedition, neither of the side's players today really did anything to cement their international places. Carty hit and miss, and for all the fuss kicked up in the Connacht thread, Dillane's departure is no real loss to Irish rugby. Had one nice bit of interplay, but otherwise a liability. His "reserve second row who isn't really trusted to play anyways" slot in the squad is better filled by the likes of Ahern and Prendergast, (assuming Hendo, Ryan, Beirne, Baird are 4/5). On the Munster side, Craig admittedly underperformed despite some aforementioned excellent box kicking early on - that intercept was dreadful. Haley reliable enough as always, one drop aside, but he's been reliable for nearly three years and that hasn't seen him break into the Irish squad.

There are places in the Six Nations squad which are wide open - the next few weeks will be interesting to observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lads. If you stop giving him the attention he so desperately craves, he may feck off.

This is why munster are the 4th best team in Ireland right now. The fans are living in the past Blame van gran for everything and keep the head in the sand. Its ok to say healy body looks more like zebo then owen farrell. I thought he might be ready for the Irish squad but his mindset is all wrong way too casual and i cant see it changing

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

I like rugby but never played it and will admit to not understanding many rules fully

Anyway I honestly believe that ireland is producing some brilliant underage talent and soon a real golden age is Coming, the conveyor belt of young talent is non stop

I know people like knocking some provincial players as not good enough but take munster and connacht Last night; you could put an Irish team together from both sets of players and they would do fine in the 6 nations

Great talent around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Certainly agree about calibre of recent players coming thru like Coombes Hume,Baird Sheehan and Kelleher.Think I would prefer to pick our 6 nations team from Leinster /Ulster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

Leinster have the pick of the crop coming through no doubt

I was just making the point there is a lot of talent coming through in all provinces in general

Ross Byrne case in point, a fine player who you many will say Is not close to the Irish team whereas I don't agree

If he started the 6 nations I would have no issues with it , he is a good player and i am sure a Britain or French club would snap him up

There is a lot of players like that now, very high quality but many would have you believe are not international standard

The reality is they all are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

I probably would also to be fair. Fortunately enough we don't have to only pick from two provinces

I would think Prendergast has overtaken Coombes in the backrow. CJ has not been missed for Ireland but has been badly missed at Munster. Marmion is probably ahead of Casey too. If you are picking a 9 for the Future it would be Doak not Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

When will the 6 nations squad be announced? Does anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

So if the 6 nation's is still behind closed doors here would there be any reason Ireland couldn't play their home games in raven hill to a capacity crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

There's sponsorship deals in place that'd be breached sadly. Even in Autumn internationals if a home game is played anywhere else in Ireland it doesn't count as an official cap iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They must have made an exception for the years they used Croke Park. Raven Hill would be a good idea in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Using Croke Park predates the Aviva so it wasn't an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There were no naming rights in place on Lansdowne Road those years. So no contract to breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who knows if there are clauses in the contract for this scenario. But playing in Ravenhill in front if 18,000 people is preferable to an empty Aviva (not empty, but 5,000 in a 50,000 capacity stadium would feel eerie)

The question is whether it is preferable to moving the games to England where matches could be played to sell out crowds in bigger stadiums than the Aviva.

It seems the Welsh are considering it. Would the IRFU dare think about it?

Post edited by bilston on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Given the circumstances, it would be better than an empty Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Presumably they would play God Save the Queen and Ireland's Call as the two anthems for a home game at Ravenhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Edgy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect they would only do it if it was part of an overall 6N decision. I doubt they would do it themselves - you would also essentially be just encouraging Irish people to travel to attend the event. It would make no sense.

I still have hopes that there won't be empty stadiums in Ireland anyway.

Advertisement