Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You can actually read quite a bit into the data already.

The Alpha case peak in Ireland was on the 10th of January with 1,310 cases per million per day on the 7 day average. The Alpha hospitalisation peak was on the 18th of January with 2,020 in hospital. So about 8 days from peak cases to peak hospitalisations. ICU's peaked on January 24th at 221, so about 12 days after peak cases.

8 days ago we had 1,359 cases per million (almost identical to the Alpha peak) on the 7 day average and today we have 656 in hospital. So a drop by a factor of 3 in hospitalisations vs cases. Its actually probably much better than that though because this year we moved straight from a Delta wave which persisted right until Omicron took off, so a lot of the hospitalisation is lingering from the early to mid December Delta wave. In December 2020 we went from almost zero covid at 60 cases per million on the 7 day average before Alpha took off so the hospitalisations were almost entirely from the late December early January Alpha wave. Obviously vaccination is going to be driving a lot of the reduction so its hard to draw a conclusion on the scale of the reduced virulence of Omicron. Unfortunately I do think it's too early to draw any conclusion on ICU's as 12 days ago the Omicron wave was really in its early stages.

The Delta peak is actually very interesting, hospitalisations peaked on the 22nd of Nov at 685 but cases kept rising until early December where they dropped slightly and flattened at a high rate of about 925 per million per day until Omicron took off. However hospitalisations fall off a cliff in late November as the boosters took effect. That makes it very difficult to compare the Delta wave hospitalisations to the current wave as Delta was characterised by waning vaccine immunity in the most vulnerable which was quickly negated by boosters, which began to be rolled out to this cohort in late October. Omicron, in terms of cases, is raging through a highly boosted population. However, real back of the paper maths here, Delta peaked at 980 cases per million on the 7 day average on the 5th of December with most of the vulnerable boosted, 8 days later there were 518 people in hospital. Thats about 1.89 cases per million per day for every hospitalisation vs a 2.07 number for Omicron. Obviously the higher the number of cases it takes to get a hospitalisation the better. This doesn't account for the backlog of hospitalisations in the drawn out delta wave but also doesn't account for the complete overwhelming of the testing system during the Omicron wave which means case number are far higher than reported.

Whats clear is that there has been a serious drop in the severity of covid compared to this time last year, you are at least 3 times less likely to end up in hospital if you are diagnosed with covid now vs in Jan 2021. Its likely Omicron is less severe than Delta but we actually don't really know how severe Delta was as it peaked during a booster campaign which seriously muted its hospitalisation rate. I actually have a lot of sympathy for the government trying to make a call on this, my feeling is that we'll be able to ride this out as we are now and then be able to relax restrictions in late January, id hate to be the one making the decision on it though. One worrying note was Holohan's estimate of 30k real cases when our confirmed cases were 20k and our positivity rate was 50%. Thats an insanely low estimate! I'd love to know where that number came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Does anyone know when the first deliveries of novavax will happen? I've read January for some EU countries but nothing concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Red line indicates beginning of our severest wave . Cumulative . Not the same graph as LOTT posted from , and NOT referring to vaccinations ( he referred to exponential growth despite restrictions)

And the graph I was looking at was a graph showing exponential growth of the most infectious but currently mildest variant so far in Ireland and UK despite restrictions , and that has managed to evade our vaccinations for infection BUT NOT serious disease or death so far . Unlike the other variants .

Hence my post about deaths and ICU cases with this current surge .

That was my point to LOTT which you have missed again .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

@Danno His face doesn't need saving.

You are on a rant again .

You brought up the "pointless people" quote .

There have been corrections many times about "those you cannot be vaccinated " as opposed to " those who choose not to be".

Yes there are many " culturally excluded" for differing reasons.

But end of life ( ?) or even allergies to vaccines account for such a minuscule amount it is laughable to see somebody with a supposed scientific background trotting out utter garbage at this stage on the thread about " those who cannot take a vaccine" !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Restrictions didn’t work as well as they should have as they didn’t go far enough due to the govt being scared of peoples reaction to not being able to get a jar.

we needed a level 5 lockdown in early/mid December

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Is this what you wanted?

Do you realise the damage this would do to so many people? Far more than people having a jar. Plus, would people have followed it? Does this variant with the level of vaccination warrant it?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

To stop the HSE being overwhelmed and keep the schools open. Go early and go hard and control the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A generous interpretation to say that we are controlling any numbers..

Edit.. ooops misread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Both of those are on track to be accomplished.

They are.. but not because of current restrictions. It should be becoming more and more clear to government that we are well beyond the point of diminishing returns from restrictions. We are achieving no better outcomes when compared to 'godless' England who are living life as normal. Enough is enough.

Why?

The effect of restrictions must surely be measured in case numbers!? Restrictions are to "control" case numbers no?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm by no means defending them but restrictions were always to reduce the impact on hospitalisations, ICU and deaths.

I don't think anyone can possibly be still under the impression that restrictions work.

We had varying levels of heavy restrictions throughout 2021 and finished the year with probably 40K cases a day.

Surely it must be crystal clear at this point that nonsense like masks and certs etc are nothing more than COVID theatre.

If anything, Cases seemed to increase even more as we brought in restrictions on regulated environments.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Indeed....to 'flatten the curve'. Don't hear that phrase much anymore! Quite clear now that restrictions with the highly transmissible Omicron are pretty much useless unless you go absolute lockdown, Chinese style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Phrases for the 2022 bin

"figures are concerning etc"

"next two weeks are crucial"

"covid theatre"

"let it rip"

"schools are safe"

On both sides of the coin, let's ditch them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Also...

"Hiding under your bed"

"Nonsense"

"Hysterical"

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Do you mind me asking what the relevance of the red line is and what conclusions you are inferring from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wondered the same, as it would make more sense, and paint a completely different picture, if drawn a week or so after the majority of the population was vaccinated rather than the start date for vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Thats not really possible due to different dates of vaccination of groups. Waning etc. Even now there is a lot of technically unvaxxed if they are not boosted.

Whilst I am anti-restrictions, for moral/ethical/philosophical reasons - they do work to delay deaths. But under two very important qualifications:

-They need to be total (i.e. very strict).

-They need to be indefinite (i.e. never-ending until we have a better option such as vaccines). As soon as you lift lockdown/restrictions, cases go up as do hospitalisations and deaths.

The famous Imperial College report that came out mid-March 2020 proposed that the lockdown should be in place until such time as the vaccines were widely available. Up to 18 months, it was suggested. That's almost what happened in Ireland - we had various levels of lockdown for 18 months until we had high vaccine uptake. Now, the situation is more complicated because the vaccines are not performing as we need them to (for whatever reason, new variant, waning immunity etc).

We could lockdown until we get better vaccines or better treatments now but the problem with lockdown is that they cause indescribable collateral damage to all other areas of society. I do not need to list these effects, they are well known.

I mentioned to my local TDs that we have two choices as we go forward - accept that there is a new virus that is dangerous for certain groups and increases their daily risk level or we transform our society into one that I can only describe of as a dystopian nightmare where liberty is given at state discretion and we all test ourselves daily to check our health status.

Essentially, it's a value judgement - safety or liberty. And that is why I am anti-restriction because I value liberty and personal freedom/autonomy. That is not an opinion that will be shared by all but essentially that is the question we have to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is likely to remain that way and this will pass. How does being one of these so-called technically unvaxxed differ from someone who's never had a shot? Their bodies do after all recognise COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Yes but the pitch behind the Covid Pass was to prevent or greatly reduce transmission in indoor settings which clearly isn't true in reality with the effect of vaccines and NPHET & government have admitted as much by once again returning to add restrictions to the hospitality sector.

If the goal is not to prevent transmission but to prevent people at high risk of hospitalisation from being exposed in an indoor setting then surely the pass should be based on other factors as well. Unquestionably the greatest factor is age and also being immunocompromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A friend of mine in the UK age 76 who is immuno compromised and has a lung problem tested positive .The NHS phoned her and are phoning her every second day to check on her .,They send a care package in a taxi with a O2 sats monitor and anti virals to be taken for 5 days .

Lets see how soon the HSE follows suit .............. rolls eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Does anyone know what the changes to the isolation period that will be announced tomorrow are going to be? My husband more than likely has covid. 2 positive antigens! But can't get a test for 3 days. And then another 2 days before results. He has to wait on a text from the HSE with his appointment. I had to ring caredoc last night to get one as there was nothing on the HSE site.

Anyway I'm a teacher who is due to go back to work on Thursday. I won't be going unless we have results. My kids aren't vaccinated as they are primary school age. And as it stands today they can't return to school for 2 weeks if my husband tests positive. So obviously I will have to stay home to mind them as we can't send them to anyone else. I'm sure I am not the only teacher in this situation. There are no subs to be found. Staffing in schools is going to be a nightmare. Locally many businesses are closed this week as their staff are isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We know that fully vaccinated people with or without booster are far less likely to develop serious illness from any variant of COVID. The "waning" is in relation to symptomatic infection.

People with recent infections or boosters are less likely to develop symptomatic COVID because they have a high concentration of antibodies present in their blood.

After several weeks the body recycles these antibodies. This is normal. In evolutionary terms it doesn't make sense to keep circulating antibodies for every infection your body has ever seen. It's massively wasteful. The body instead "remembers" so it can produce these antibodies again when needed.

The trade-off is that the infection may make a foothold while antibody production ramps up. But this way is more energy efficient.

In relation to boosters, it is more than just "reactivating" the immune system. Every injection of the vaccine is a form of training. With every dose, your body gets better and better at producing more efficient antibodies. The immune system is complex and really, really good at what it does. We simplify it down to "your body learns how to fight COVID" for ourselves, but it's much, much, much more nuanced than that.

Thus, someone 12 weeks after their booster will deal with any COVID variant more readily than someone 12 weeks after their second dose. Who in turn will feel far less ill than someone unvaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, but there's more than a hint of looking for yet another group to blame with that type of commentary. We will come in a lot lower in boosters.

As regards the boosters there is a risk that far too much attention will be given to that waning and we could end up in a never ending cycle of using booster vaccines that are increasingly delivering diminishing returns. That is just bad medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You've been against restrictions since day one because your 'freedoms' were being impinged and every so often your mask slips, excuse the pun.

Multiple times you've said that lockdowns don't work and when asked for evidence of them not working (including evidence that they do in the post) you either ignore it or go off on another tangent. So give it a rest with the hyperbole.

I'm in no way for restrictions at all but it's comical that you are still coming out with this tripe.

Advertisement