Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish language gets full EU status today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am suggesting the British parliament will impose what has been agreed under the agreement they have with the Irish government. That trumps any Unionist footdragging as we have seen before.

'Dominance'? This is again 'equality looking like oppression' to you guys. Nobody proposing this is seeking 'dominance'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

😃 I take it you're referring to the Sean Bhean Phucked ?😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

You're right. Talking about 2 leaving cert students when responding to kids enrolling in gaelscoileanna is a very weak response

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Whats up with the omission of the word "to" in certain sentences that Irish people use?

For example "i wasn't allowed go to the party"

I was neither born nor educated here and it sounds strange to my ear.

Is it a quirk or is it acceptable English?

I've heard it happen plenty times by RTE newsreaders so its obviously acceptable to the masses.

I have no idea what butchers aprons are or have to do with anything?

'clear the majority see the erecting of Irish road signs in majority republican areas as triumphalism'

This is what you said about protestants/loyalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I guess the extra 'to' is superfluous but I can see that verb-verb can be off putting. However there is no room for ambiguity there so I am fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The extra points through Irish are very small. My understanding of the way it used to work anyway was that you got a percentage of the points you didn't get. So if you were a stronger student and got higher marks anyway, then the bonus was very small.

Was it something like 10% of the marks you missed out on? So that if you got 40%, then you'd be bumped up to a 46%, but if you got 90%, you'd only be bumped up to 91%?

I googled and there is a study here from 2010 where over half of the exams assessed received 0 extra points for doing their LC through Irish. https://www.erc.ie/documents/vol38chp2.pdf

You're hardly going to go through 13 or 14 years of schooling through a language you don't like in order to maybe get 5 extra points in your Leaving? Surely you'd be better off doing it through a language you liked (English I presume) and studying for an hour more to get those additional 5 points?

I think so too.

What about the other point? If Unionists are allowed to veto Irish appearing on signage in "their" areas, should Republicans be allowed to veto English appearing on signage in "their" areas?

As I mentioned, it would quickly solve the whole "Derry/Londonderry" crap when all the signs just have "Doire" on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh I completely understand that. I know several people very well who love the language and are heavily involved in promoting it for all the best reasons and their is not a hint of anything disrespectful in their motives. Indeed i have directly assisted their efforts and continue to support one of their groups to in a practical way.

unfortunately though, the vast majority of the unionist community are only aware of encountering Irish when it is written up on walls in republican slogans or threats and they only see it being used by shinners to make political points - as well as the other negative stuff already mentioned.

the irony is that it’s is people like one or two posters here who are creating opposition to Irish. I genuinely would like to see it non-political and removed from the sectarian battle in the north.

It’s a fair question and might be a more honest approach as there would be no pretence that it wasn’t marking areas out on who was in the majority.

I see several problems. I don’t know the figures exactly but last census confirmed that the vast majority (maybe 90%) of the residents of ni cannot read Irish when written in its correct form, so getting around would be confusing, although most could have satnav in English for that purpose. It would also mean that signage in some areas would refer to Doire and in others Londonderry. This would be highly confusing for visitors.

again I don’t know the stats but I would suggest the majority of signage in ni is already Irish, but spelt phonetically so as the 90% non-Irish readers can pronounce it. So your suggestion would mean changing most of these to English translations.

there would also be a huge logistical and controversial effort to agree which areas got which signs.

A fair suggestion but fraught with problems imho

I am inclined to agree with you, but I respect those who love and cherish it and accept its official language status by the EU etc.

I have zero problem with your post and certainly don’t take any offence, but it is interesting that I got disciplined on another thread for suggesting something similar about Irish language spelling.

could you clarify who you are referring to as ‘they’?

And are all languages not made up, including Scots gaelage?

we could argue whether ulster-Scots is a language or a dialect, but it has been declared an official minority language of the EU. In ni (which of course is no longer a member of the EU) is certainly much more widely spoken than Irish. I am guessing you use quite a few ulster-Scots words daily - although I am guessing.

I am not sure the term veto is helpful, apart from introducing a bit of Latin, a language I had the same experience with in school as some posters here had with Irish. Tbh I don’t know how to respond. I wouldn’t regard what we are discussing as ‘veto’s’. I am talking about the need to reach understanding and consensus.

A very interesting post AdsByGoogle. Imho it says a lot more about you than me.

I have a query running in the dispute section as to whether this is a 26 county forum or not. You are not the first to suggest this. If the answer comes back that it is then I will get my coat and bid you farewell. That would be a very legitimate position to restrict the forum to the one jurisdiction and I would respect that - it will just be good you get it clarified.

Your are wrong on a number (all) of the points in your post

1) you ask, what has this got to do with ni? I am from ni and made a very brief reference in the OP to my local context. If you check back to page one you will see that it was francie, Braxton Cuddly Scalpel, etc who introduced a discussion on it

2)”Downcow has been banned from practically every thread he has shown interest”. Could you list them for us - if you don’t have time for the full list then give us half a dozen to get started. I think you will find I have been banned from two threads. If you check You will find I have made over 7,000 posts spread over nearly 7 years, but more interestingly you will find that the very same posters who are starting to hound me and up the anti on this thread are also involved very directly in those two bans.

just interesting points for the genuine posters who are contributing various viewpoints to this thread to understand.

and just to be completely transparent, I have reported your post

Report away, Downcow. You know it's true.

'Understanding and consensus' has been reached ...several times.

Exactly what is it you are looking for now?

Consensus has not been reached in ni, and we’ll you know it. What I find really interesting is that there appears to be more frustrations than I expected in the south. There is a full range of opinions on here already from ‘the government is doing too much’ to ‘the government is not doing enough’, ‘EU is correct to give full status’ to ‘its a waste of resources’.

as for consented in ni; my Council is leading the way and causing great controversy by placing endless Irish signage in the constituency, right through to some councils not putting any signs up

So it is ridiculous to suggest consensus has been reached.

• Advertisement

So the DUP didn't agree on legislation to get Stormont up and running again?

The 'legislation' Brandon Lewis says he will go ahead with if the DUP don't?

Consensus has been reached on this again and again downcow, but Unionists keep welching on it.

Is that the legislation that has been arriving for years and Michelle ONeill promised would be in place at the end of last summer ‘or else’?

anyhow, you have a different take on consensus than me. Would you also say that we reached a consensus to leave the EU?

I think I have demonstrated that there is certainly no consensus on Irish language signage but that issue is starting to dominate this discussion.

my initial interest was in how people feel about extending the reach of the Irish language, and if keen to direct resources at it, what that would do for them eg self-esteem, opportunities, interest, etc

It was also your 'original interest' to tell the lie that dual signage 'is very controversial (much of the north).'

I corrected you on that and here we are. Dual signage is all over the north without issue.

Now you want to tell the lie that consensus has NOT been arrived at several times...it has, but Unionism keeps welching on any deals they make.

Now, under the aegis of what they agreed to in the GFA, your government will step in again and force Unionism to do what it has agreed to. Same thing has happened with the Protocol and other rights legislation.

Rather than me putting up endless posts showing the ongoing controversy in much of the north re Irish signs, maybe we could shortcut it and help us all.

Has consensus been reached around Irish signage in ni? and if yes, could you tell me what that consensus is, ie all signs to be Irish, no signs in Irish, etc ?

I could list many more questions but let’s keep it tight so neither of us can duck and dive

'Consensus' means 'agreement'.

Was an agreement reached in St. Andrew's? = Yes

Was another agreement reached to restore devolution? = Yes.

What 'agreement' is Brandon Lewis saying he will force through at Westminster? = The New Decade, New Approach Agreement.

You are ducking and diving. The question was simple.

you say Irish signage is not controversial in ni. Your argument is that consensus has been reached.

I don’t mind if you call it consensus, agreement or even diktat. Just tell us what it is re Irish signage - is it going up everywhere, somewhere, nowhere? It’s not difficult to understand. And if you say somewhere, then tell us the criteria that has been agreed?

• Advertisement

I didn't say 'Irish is not controversial' downcow = another lie.

What I said was that your contention that dual signage is controversial in 'most of the north' is a lie because much of the north has examples of dual language signage now.

SSM and abortion rights here in the south have 'consensus' but you will find pockets of resistance and objection to those rights.

Majority of Unionists live everyday with dual language signage and there is no issue. Unionist politicians find it sticks in the craws, but that seems to happen with any equality or normalising legislation

I've posted a few times before that downcow seems to be a genuine poster and gives a valuable alternate viewpoint. I usually don't agree with them but I'd rather they were posting than not. They do get picked on a bit though

I am not going to rise to your provocative language. I will leave it to other posters to decide for themselves if I am telling lies or whether you are dancing on the head of a pin.

my question was very simple. Here it is again

“I don’t mind if you call it consensus, agreement or even diktat. Just tell us what it is re Irish signage - is it going up everywhere, somewhere, nowhere? It’s not difficult to understand. And if you say somewhere, then tell us the criteria that has been agreed?”

There is nothing 'provocative' in my language unless you are massaging a victimhood backstory.

You made claims, I objected to them. And backed up what I meant - consensus/agreement/deals have been made on Irish language rights which Unionist politicians have repeatedly walked away from, all the while Dual Language signs have been up all over the north without issue.

There are pockets of dissent about that and while Unionists try to hide AGAIN from commitments/agreements/consensus and deals they have made, Westminster will, once again, go above their heads and legislate, as they have warned. Westminster MUST do this because they made an agreement with the Irish government that, despite posturing and trying to pretend, they have not walked away from. Ask any Unionist about that fact if you need backup.

Please don't try and move the goalposts again downcow.

• Advertisement

It's the same idea though downcow. If you need a "consensus" to have Irish language included on signs along with the English version in certain areas then it would be reasonable to also need "consensus" to have the English language version included along with the Irish language version in certain areas. "Consensus" is anyway a veto when the issue at hand pertains to a proposed change.

If things went down that road, it would just mean that unionists would have to learn a cúpla focail to navigate around in areas where people wanted Irish language signs.

(And I think that we could agree that if certain areas didn't allow Irish on signs, then other areas would be equally as petty and deliberately not allow English on signage)

Of course it will never happen Donald. (blocking the English language)

Several times I have asked what rights are nationalists/republicans blocking and these posters run for the hills with deflections and victimhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am a protestant from Donegal and plan on starting an Irish course this year as like most people it was not taught properly in secondary school.

Irish language is fundamental in establishing Irish people as a distinct ethnic group in this globalised world.

Well the rules have to be fair at some stage.

So if someone calls for "one side" being allowed to "not reach a consensus" on having Irish on signs in their area, then equally the "other side" should be allowed to "not reach a consensus" on having English on signs in their area. So we can end up with two even more polarised "sides"

People have to think proposals through before they suggest them. It's not the 50's or 60's anymore where you could get away with two blatantly different sets of rules

I couldn’t see any area removing English from the signs, but it would be fun if they did. But you are missing my point. I am opposed to majority rule on this issue as it just labels areas

Why are you not answering my question francie? It would be fine to simply say that you were mistaken

here it is again for you

“I don’t mind if you call it consensus, agreement or even diktat. Just tell us what it is re Irish signage - is it going up everywhere, somewhere, nowhere? It’s not difficult to understand. And if you say somewhere, then tell us the criteria that has been agreed?”

That’s really helpful and I hope your course goes really well. My dad was also a Protestant from Donegal. Are you anywhere near Castlefin?

It wouldn't label areas if everywhere had them though.

If you have dual language version signs almost everywhere and then suddenly you enter an area that has no Irish on the signs, surely that labels that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Well if that article wasn't an attempt to poison the well on the topic of bonus marks for Irish scheme at leaving cert I don't know what is!

1. Unpublished study is leaked to cause doubt about "fairness" as if this scheme was not open to all students.
    2. Report examined a sample of 120+ students in two unnamed all-Irish schools. 2 Leaving Cert classes is hardly a statistically significiant sample.
    3. The article cherry picks certain figures e.g. "It found the bonus scheme delivered an average CAO bonus of 12 points, though in some cases it was as high as 30-35 points." Absolutely no mention of the lower bracket of bonus points or that a 30-35 point increase could be an outlier.

You would never see an article in this vain talking about supposed unfair advantages of the bonus point scheme for HL leaving cert maths.

…but there will never be dual language signs everywhere so it will inevitably mark territory.

here is an article with the comments of my local councillor in reference to a sign near where I live (the situation has turned ugly since this and neighbour has stopped speaking to neighbour). Alan outlines it fairly clearly here with full link below, “Cllr Lewis described online comments in relation to bilingual signs as “very telling” and said references to “our sign” and “our road” highlights what he described as the “fundamental problem with bilingual signage.”

Cllr Lewis argued that the signs “mark out territory, divide communities and cause tension” and revealed that before signs were erected, he informed the local authority that there would be issues, expressing particular concern about how the survey of residents to test support for dual language signs is run.

He declared: “To impose bilingual signage on communities with 50 percent plus one approval is fundamentally flawed. The system isn’t working, it needs revisited.

“I have long argued that money wasted on Irish road signs should be diverted to the Irish language bursary scheme so people who truly wish to learn the language can do so.”

Cllr Lewis suggested that an alternative use for the money would be for the local authority to set up a cultural awareness programme for children.

He added: “Dual language signs are ridiculous and, in my opinion, are a Republican power trip and a party political bandwagon for aggravators and agitators.”

http://www.thedownrecorder.co.uk/pages/?title=Bilingual_road_sign_damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

When you have public representatives only prepared to represent one side of the community, and coming out with inflammatory remarks, is it any wonder that there's trouble in your community.

That's shocking sectarian behaviour from your local Councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

You could flip that last paragraph on its head and replace Republican with Unionist for use of the English language on signs and it would look equally ridiculous. It’s a sign.

We have plenty of signs telling in both French and German to drive on the left. Who cares.

When did the Shinners get exclusivity on a language? I suspect the same percentage of Irish in NI can speak the Irish language as we can south of the border, not a lot in both cases.

My Irish goes no further than school Irish. We have dual signage everywhere but I barely notice that. I read the English part only and off I go. I can’t understand the politicisation of a language and a bloody sign. They can put a few EU languages on them and it wouldn’t get noticed as we would use the language we can read from the sign and oddly ignore the remainder.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs though that the mere indignity of having the accurate historical and vernacular name for a location on a sign is an imposition on you and somehow an attack on you.

(I mean general "you", not "you, downcow")

Imagine if Aussie politicians were making their bread and butter off protesting the likes of using "Uluru" being used alongside "Ayers Rock" on signs. And claiming that it was an imposition on their "community".

Why is is sectarian behaviour?

Francie led us to believe it was just hardline unionists who were opposed to. Alan is neither TUV nor DUP, he is our UUP rep

Since Alan has spoken out about Irish signage he has came under serious pressure and threat from republicans, and reinforcing in the minds of local unionist community who’s agenda this is. Here is his latest one especially for Christmas https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/uup-councillor-receives-ira-death-threat-in-christmas-card-41200765.html?fbclid=IwAR0vwuYTbb5YNWAXmdnC2AwneYsc4Jpc89BPveajKeont6zlyEppOMB96U0

this attention has often been death threats to him painted on signs that are not dual language - sinister

Yes, I agree. It is very sad and we need to find a more positive way ahead. I do believe if republicans would back off on this signage and pour more money into supporting people learn Irish by choice, it would give everyone the space to step back

'Mr Lewis said it shows how some still want to spread hate and division.'

You should take a look in the mirror, Alan.

I condemn any and all sectarian threats BTW.

Equal status means equal status. That's the criteria you run from time and time again.

Hilarious that you are against majority rule on this issue.

Racking up the lies...I never used the word 'hardline' on this issue downcow.

You claim to be worried about labelling areas...the way to ensure that areas aren't labelled is to ensure they are all treated the same.

Equality downcow...always the answer.

Francie it’s all a big game to you. If I do not quote you exactly you get in a bossy fit over it. You said “There are pockets of dissent”, maybe it’s the moderates you meant that are opposing the signage and the hardliners are embracing it?

as for equality. Currently the majority of signs are phonetically spelt Irish with some modern estates etc in English. So I think what you are saying is that equality would mean two forms of Irish on many signs and no English - 100% of population could pronounce one and 10% both. Interesting take on equality.

but hey - we should not be arguing about this as you are going to tell everyone about the consensus you say was reached and what that would mean for signage - unless of course you just made it up?

• Advertisement

Most of the place names were anglicised by the British while they controlled Ireland. They simply spelled a lot of names phonetically, such as Dubh Linn, (Dublin), Doire, (Derry) etc. So in the Republic a lot (not all) of road signs are the correct spelling in Irish of the English words.

No different than in the North.

Advertisement