Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Good post. Have to take issue with this bit though.

Whats clear is that there has been a serious drop in the severity of covid compared to this time last year, you are at least 3 times less likely to end up in hospital if you are diagnosed with covid now vs in Jan 2021.

Considering the current claims of vaccine effectiveness alongside out uptake rate AND all emerging evidence on the severity of Omicron, I would be thinking one would be 20 times less likely.

I expect for every confirmed case right now there are at least 20 unconfirmed considering testing limitations and all we know about the prevalence for No\Mild Omicron symptoms. Covid is everywhere. With 20k confirmed cases a day that's 200k real cases using an undetected factor of just ten. Add this to confirmed cases from the past, with are reasonable undetected factor, and it's becomes clear that our 5.2 mil have been well exposed to this. If you believe the stats around vaccine effectiveness, then consider the amount of 'breakthrough infections' we are seeing and then extrapolate the numbers out.

If it's everywhere why restrict?

The debate around the need for more restrictions will play out in the school reopening debate.

Strain on the health service or problems with schools reopening and staffing are actually down to the restrictions in place not because of the lack of them. Staff who are not 'sick' are being told to stay at home because they have either tested positive or are deemed close contacts.

With mild Omicron and extensive vaccination the pandemic is effectively over. The sooner we accept this the better. Time to remove all restrictions and treat the sick as they present as we would during a mild seasonal flu outbreak.

Now is the perfect time to remove restrictions while booster effectiveness is at it's maximum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah ok. I can see were you are going wrong. You think they work because they bring some short term relief when you go fully nuclear and order the closure of entire sectors.

When I say restrictions don't work, I don't mean 100% literally. I mean the problem will still be there waiting a few weeks later and you'll need to do the same over and over again indefinitely. Which is just stupid.

Masks and certs are complete nonsense as is reduced hours. Full lockdown for several weeks helps a bit to kick the can down the road.

Burning down a house will almost certainly kill a mouse. Technically it works. But there's a reason people don't go that route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭morphy87

So for work he should be clear on the antingen test the 8 of January?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hard to say. There have been a few posts on here of people still testing positive on antigen after 10 days

• Advertisement

OK, great.

What happens if there is a new variant that evades the boosters and the new treatments?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Not indefinitely, until the population has a high level of immunity from vaccines. Lockdowns were never a long term permanent plan, that was only the case in certain people's fascist conspiracy fantasys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Got the moderna booster yesterday....i feel weak as pìss today and very fatigued.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This happened my friend last year during new year surge, mater discharged her with a kit and rang daily to check her levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Back to square one. This hasnt happened yet though so theres no reason to believe it will. The current vaccines are even effective against omicron when given the correct dose regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have we any figures on the number in hospital with the flu at the moment or have we escaped it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Good to know .But my friend UK was never actually in hospital .It was based simply on a positive PCR

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can be anti-restrictions (I think we should have dropped them back in August, but I understand why they won't be dropped in the dead of Winter) without falsely claiming that restrictions don't work.

Claiming they don't work is generally so someone can absolve themselves of making hard decisions (i.e. who will die when we run out of health capacity) if restrictions don't work, then it doesn't make a difference anyway.

Most of the posters still claiming this were also making the same claims back in March/April 2020 and we can see by the death rates of countries that put restrictions in place early vs. those that waited till later, that they do work (then they try and steer the conversation over to demographics, again using hand waving and hoping people don't look at the actual numbers behind it).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They have mapped over 5m genomes and a very miniscule number even become a VUI, out of which a smaller subset become VOCs. Vaccination worldwide should mitigate the risk of a more virulent form.

I don't think that all restrictions will be dropped until Spring (March/April), I can see some of them being reduced in line with hospitalisation numbers, Winter is a bad time to make any changes which is why the original October/November schedule was complete pie in the sky (but I understand the rationale behind it even if I don't agree with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

What about other industries? I get your predicament but no need to keep saying you're a teacher! No emergency services personnel are banging on as much as teachers or any other industry to be honest.

I don't think masks will go away anytime soon

The rest I would hope to see lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

23 total cases and 2 admissions, one child and one adult from week 50 of 2021. That’s the last known report.

I share the optimism, however - for the sake of debate - if there is another new variant that does outsmart us, being back at square one is a difficult pill to swallow, I think we can all agree.

I am anti-restrictions but they do work, for as long as they are in place (as I mentioned a few pages back).

What they also do is widespread collateral damage.

We also have to be honest with ourselves, as I mentioned on another post a few pages back:

In reality, Ireland (deaths per million 1,178) has not fared that much better than 'no lockdown' Sweden (deaths per million 1,498), whilst completely disregarding civil liberties and fundamental human rights at the same time. Denmark has done better than Ireland (deaths per million 562), a country with similar population size, higher population density, much less restrictions and an older population (similar case numbers too). (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/)

You claim they don't work as fact, when obviously they do.

And don't think of it as burning down a house, think of it as a controlled burn where the max burn rate is your health capacity.

Then things start making sense.

Masks and certs are the simplest least impactful way to keep numbers down, they'll be the last to go (after full return to Offices has occurred).

And again, you were saying the same thing before vaccines existed (which have reduced the death rate substantially and allowed many who would have died with COVID in 2020 to come through it instead) so it all comes across as disingenuous at this point.

And again, one other bit being missed is that the economic performance of Ireland Inc. is very strong right now, much stronger than other economies around us, this lets us be more cautious in reopening (again, I don't agree we should wait much longer) as the impact on the budget/taxes/jobs has been lower than other countries.

• Advertisement

There is a Sweden thread, but Sweden is the standout bad performer of the Scandinavian countries and had an effective buffer around them protecting them (if you remember, 2020 was when the border counties in Ireland had the highest cases and death rates). Their rationale was to pursue herd immunity before vaccines were available and it didn't work that well (only the UK also briefly toyed with the idea before abandoning it).

Had we pursued the same, with the UK beside us, we'd have been facing into a Palermo scenario.

Denmark have an all digital and connected health system, they were also first out of the gates for vaccines ahead of the rest of Europe. We could have that as well, but there is a lot of union intransigence to digitising their workload in the health system (this allows you to target individuals faster, reduce close contacts, see where outbreaks are likely to occur and react to them before it happens, lots of good stuff that we can't do, you restrict smarter instead of blanket restrictions like we had).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I share the optimism, however - for the sake of debate - if there is another new variant that does outsmart us, being back at square one is a difficult pill to swallow, I think we can all agree.

As one of the UK scientists observed viruses can lose fitness to compete, with its mutations. Any new variant would have to beat down Omicron and in the face of increasing vaccination levels worldwide that is a pretty tall order.

Some vaccine companies have already committed themselves to being able to produce a tweaked version in 100 days. Add in antivirals, 2 so far and more to come, monoclonal antibody treatments and ongoing research on things like nanobodies, we are not really back at square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

OK, but how has Denmark performed so well, with similar case numbers, older population and less and shorter restrictions on liberty? Genuine question.

Errr, you realise that basically 94% of us are fully vaccinated and large numbers are triple vaccinated. What numbers will give us this high level of Immunity.

I hope you also saw the Taoiseachs latest speech were he said that vaccines on their own are not enough. Doesn't sound like a man planning on returning to normal anytime soon.

Will you turn on them if they don't remove restrictions soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are the Uk rags now running out of Covid news? 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was in bits the other day after moderna booster.

Very very tired. Brand new now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

40 discharges on a weekend is really good, historically.

118 admissions is also quite a good bit lower than the 150+ we were doing after Xmas.

These numbers are really making me optimistic. If numbers only go up by a net ~60/day over the weekend, we'll come in under 850 on Tuesday.

One would like to think that 17k cases today is also something good, but it's meaningless without the swab numbers. We're also in a period of recalibration, so numbers as low as 15k or as high as 30k shouldn't be a surprise over the next 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So if hospital numbers are including those who have either gone into hospital for something else and caught it, or those already in hospital for something else and have caught it, does that render that number meaningless now?

And makes ICU the only number that matters?

• Advertisement

One uptick is that the latency for new treatments and vaccines will be much lower, for the next 10 years at least (then we give out about the cost of maintaining that infrastructure and close it all down).

And yes, a new variant could change things again (and we can react much faster now), but this can happen with all virus, the spike protein, even with Omicron, remains an effective attack vector for vaccines (almost like the scientists knew what they were doing) if we're going to worry about future variants we may as well worry about super-flu/ebola/AIDS as well.

Advertisement