Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s not what they’re saying though. They’re actually far more specific, and even though you’re using the Daily Mail as your source (not like the DM would ever spin anything, no siree 🙄), even the DM points out -

In a new section on admissions, the GDST said its schools do not accept applications from pupils who are legally biologically male, even if they identify as women. 

They’re looking for guidance even though the guidance already exists in law, which the GDST are fully aware of, and they are aware of their legal obligations and what current legislation does and doesn’t permit. Current legislation permits exemptions in the Equality Acts when it is determined that it is a reasonable means of achieving a legitimate aim - in this case, retaining their status as single-sex schools.

It’s a non-issue IMO. It’s something that schools deal with all the time in their admissions policies, nowhere more so than in countries like the UK and Ireland where single-sex schools are much more prevalent than they are in other countries -

According to data from an international assessment (TIMSS) in 2015, in 60% of higher-earning countries, less than 5% of primary schools are single-sex. Apart from Muslim countries, Ireland has the second-highest instance of single-sex schooling. Only Malta trumps us.

In Ireland, one-third of our second-level schools are single-sex. That’s 125,000 students experiencing their most formative years in a setting that doesn’t bear any resemblance to the outside world.

If you’re asking me do I disagree with the idea of single-sex schools, the answer is no, no I do not, nor do I believe their continuing existence is under threat from a handful of children who don’t conform to sex-based stereotypes. Single-sex schools have far greater issues to contend with in modern society, as do their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The reality is very simple. Trans people exist. They always have done. You can't explain why and you prefer that they didn't, so you will use whatever you can to belittle and reduce them to suit your own world view. Fine, as others point out, it's an opinion site. But you cannot get away from that simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yep i already said, its an opinion forum, its good that we differ.

we agree so, we all have our opinions and just because somebody differs to yours, doesnt make them a bad person.

IMO they are looking for guidance to protect them from being sued, they don't want biological males at single sex biological girls schools. My opinion is all of course.

• Advertisement

They don't state that at all, you've jumped to that conclusion with no actual evidence...

Well as long as we’re both clear that you admit your opinion is YOUR reality, and you’re not projecting your reality onto anyone else, because for one thing your reality sure as hell isn’t my reality, and neither of us can speak for anyone else.

You can certainly claim to speak for other people as though they agree with your feelings on the matter, but that leaves you in a poor position to argue about objective reality and creating laws based upon peoples feelings.

I'm sorry you misread the sarcasm as anger. Either you are mistaken or you are trying to diminish my post by making me sound 'emotional'. It's a cheap trick often employed on boards, apologies in advance if you were genuinely mistaken.

I find the concept of single sex schools strange, but that's nothing to do with gender etc I simply didn't go to school in Ireland where it's normal to segregate.

But regarding the school, yes I think if there were more support for trans rights we wouldn't have this problem. I know they said they would help someone transitioning, but that's a bit of a mess too. Imagine being the only boy in an all girls school? **** show and something heads and school boards shouldn't have to make decisions on.

Of course trans women exist.

I'm just saying that biological males - irrespective of whether they identify as women or not - should be as equally as ineligible as each other to enter a women's competition.

Many prominent trans women agree with me, incidentally. But that doesn't suit your narrative.

I said its my opinion, why do you think they are looking for guidance?

• Advertisement

No, we can all have our opinions, but stating they are facts does not make them so.

Never suggested anyone was a bad person?

Yes i did take it as mild anger. Apology accepted. Its all a shitshow for the time being. Both sides need to be listened to.

Oh wow, didn't realise Hayton put out a statement on the Rose of Tralee!

The guidance they’re looking for in order to protect themselves from being sued already exists.

Nothing actually protects them from being sued in any case, it would simply be a question of whether the case has any merit in law or not, and that could only be considered on the facts of each individual case. That’s what lawyers are for, is giving legal advice to organisations who want to protect themselves in accordance with what the law does and doesn’t permit them to do.

If an organisation is looking to find ways around the law, and that’s what they’re seeking guidance on, then that kind of guidance isn’t likely to come from Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd say Debbie Hayton couldnt care less.

Theres a small minority of trans women who agree with gender critical people. They regularly get trotted out as "many prominent trans women". Its hilarious really. Apart from perhaps Caitlyn Jenner the rest are only really prominent in gender critical circles.

Its kind of like saying Paddy Manning and Keith Mills agree with me on marriage equality. Meh.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What exactly in your opinion is this article about? What do the schools want? I would read it as they don't want to allow biological males attend an all girls school because over time the idea of their single sex school would be gone.

Indeed. Why on earth would any trans person openly debate with this absolutely crazy crap about how trans people are sex addicts with personality disorders and psycho sexual disorders. @AllForIt you really cannot be serious after that extremely disgusting and disrespectful rant reducing trans people to pretty much nothing except sex obsession.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yep, I interpreted their intent the same way you did tbh, that they want to retain their status as single-sex schools, and admitting boys would be a threat to their continuing status as single-sex schools which only accept applications from the parents of girls.

You made the point that you didn’t attend school in Ireland so I don’t know how familiar you are with the education system here, but the issue also crops up in terms of religious schools who want to maintain their religious identities, whether it be Catholic, Protestant, etc, and many of them are indeed single-sex schools. They too argue the point that they should be permitted to discriminate against people on the basis of sex or religion on the basis of their fears that admitting children who do not conform to their standards threatens the ethos of their schools.

The argument that they should be permitted in law to discriminate against people based upon the fact that those people don’t believe they should be discriminated against, just isn’t a particularly compelling one in a pluralist democratic society. It’s precisely for this reason that exemptions do exist in Equality legislation, in order to distinguish between lawful and unlawful discrimination.

Pretending they don’t know the difference and arguing that need guidance on the matter is the GDST attempting to frame themselves as the victim in the same way as the Bishops of Ireland try to do in spite of the fact that they are by far and away in the majority, as opposed to being in the minority that Equality legislation is intended to provide protection from unlawful discrimination for.

As you suggested yourself - imagine being a boy in an all girls school, it’s really not that difficult to imagine the sort of discrimination they would be subjected to were it not for the fact that the school would be prevented by law from doing so. If the school actually wanted to protect themselves from being sued, then the onus is on them to protect their students, rather than looking for legal advice from Government as to how they might lawfully practice discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

But that’s not what the poster claimed. They argued that the blind acceptance of anyone’s whim, no matter their motivation, is potentially doing more harm than good. It’s really not helpful if any objection or questioning is shut down instantaneously by labelling people transphobes.

Ah sorry i never made that point, i was schooled here. Didn't make the point about the boy in school either. Anyway we interpreted it the same so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Sorry what?

That post was a completely irrational rant about sexuality, sex addicts, personality disorders and psycho sexual disorders. I didnt label that post transphobic. I said it was extremely disgusting and disrespectful to be reducing trans people like that. I stand by that point. Its very very warped to be only viewing trans people through the lens of sexuality and disorders. That post isnt in any way whatsoever "helpful" in this discussion at all.

Terry Pratchet

The point was made in reference to wondering why we don't see more trans people here.

Only the out and out transphobic posts get removed but there is enough derision to make sure no sane trans person is likely to engage.

I don't know who is blindly accepting anything.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

I know that's the thing that gets me most that somehow this is some woke fashion statement lol

That putting yourself through emotional turmoil, a great financial disadvantage, having to explain yourself at every turn, significantly reducing your options to find a meaningful relationship and much more is all done on a whim.. yeah of course it is..

That’s a pretty big slap in the face for those who say transgender women are women. I don’t tend to read the daily mail as it’s normally so unreliable but I think the telegraph are reporting it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No the post mentioned “some” people who fall into the bracket. Nobody claimed that every trans person is a sexual deviant etc.? There is also nothing wrong with with sexual deviants or personality disorder too, as not everyone affected by these even causes offence or harm and “suffers” in silence instead.

Look, I myself am in a position which differentiates me from mainstream society. Sure it annoys me, but I am under no illusion that everyone needs to change their attitude towards me just because it upsets my sensitivities. Tolerance is good and well, but there is no need to take everything personally just because someone has a different perspective.

• Advertisement

@Annasopra (and others admittedly) will do everything possible to distract us down irrelevant rabbit holes to avoid the elephant in the room: that biological males, irrespective of what they identify as or with - should not compete in women's competitions.

They don't want biology brought into the discussion because they know perfectly well that it's the sword of Damocles hanging over this entire debate.

Advertisement