Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV for Bicycle

Options
  • 02-01-2022 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to buy an SUV that is big enough to transport his bicycle in 1 piece.

The SUV needs to have back seats to move his 2 kids around so a commerical vechile is out.

Ideally, he just wants to put the bicycle into the boot with the back seats folded down and drive off, no taking of a wheel or anything.

Budget is around 60k and bicycle dimensions are 100 cm tall x 180 cm long.

Does anyone know of an SUV that fits the above description?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve been able to fit a mountain bike straight in to the back of a VW Polo before so I’d be near certain that almost any SUV will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Sorry, i should have added that he wants to be able to stand them upright so he can fit more than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are limiting your choice down to a few small few if you want to stand the bikes up. Skoda Kodiaq maybe if he drops the 3rd row of seats down or try and find a 5 seater version. You could be waiting up to 12 months for a new one though.

I don't think he minds if it's used or new so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

You won't fit the bikes in anything smaller than a van if you want to fit them upright. As was said with seats folded you'll fit any bikes with wheels on. I had three in the back of a fabia once! I put blankets between them when staking so they don't scratch.

Learn to take the front wheel of its only takes a sec even the back isn't that bad when you get the hang of it. You'll need to do it you puncture anyway. Get brake shims if they are hydraulic brakes. Kodiaq is one of the larger SUVs. In 5 seat mode you should be able to take a bike in just the boot with the front wheel off. Probably two depending on size of bikes. What type of bikes? Big difference in size between a racer and 29er MTB.

Shape of boot makes a big difference though I could fit two road bikes with front wheels off in the boot of a Mondeo Mk4 estate 560L boot as it has deep wells behind the wheel archs so had a long diagonal width. My Zafira Tourer with a bigger 700L boot can only fit one bike as there are no cut outs around the arches.

Its handy being able to put the bike in the car but I'd recommend fitting a towbar. I use a Thule express bike rack a lot theses days. Clips on in literally a second and only takes a minute to load two bikes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ford transit .. yer only man.. could fit 6

The bikes are road bikes so bigger than MTB's.

It has to be be an SUV as vans are out I'm told.

I was sent a picture of a Toyota land cruiser that could do it so that seems to be the best bet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most Land Cruisers here are either 2 door 2 seat commercials or 4 door 5 seat that are classed as crew cabs. With either if you are not vat registered or using it in conjunction with a business then the vat inclusive price is crazy and you will have to also tax it privately which will be based on engine size.

I think this person really needs to rethink this through and whether it's worth the expensive just to carry 2 bikes standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Cadillac Escalade long wheel base.

Or a large van.

Toyota Land cruiser may do it, but not sure.

Our commercial one would.

Might be worth it to get a bike with quick release wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wheel comes off my road bike in around 5 seconds, don’t think I’d be choosing a car around saving those 5 seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

totally agree - his requirements are ridiculous. I must be able to stand my bikes up with the wheels on. Why ? Put them on a roof rack on a car that suits the rest of your family, or disassemble them and get them in that way. I am sensing some justification for buying the car he wants maybe

Advertisement