Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Met some friends for lunch in the Black Market today, very quiet. While we were there, not a single person went near the pizza stall. The stuff from the burrito/nacho place was tasty & Soma coffee is good. Looks like they have a roasting setup in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

There an xmas market open at the cricket club on the Mardyke, just saw it going past so no idea what's in there but presumably the same food stalls that show up at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Id like to see it do well, but I'm not sure it will!

A couple of points...

Soma advertised a loyalty app, which (a year later) never seems to have worked! They've a great coffee but they shouldn't get above their station.

My kids didn't like the Burnt margharita pizza. Game over for them in our house.

There's some random clothes stall there now.

Tunes in there used to be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It looks very remote from the city centre, even more so than the Marina which already takes an age to walk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Google maps says that it's 15 minutes walk from the Bus Station to the Marina Market.

Imperial to MM also 15 minutes walk. Google maps allows for pretty slow walking - I'd do it in 10.

The Black Market, is, literally, across the road from MM.

From an environmental point of view, we are royally fcuked when people consider a 10 - 15 minute walk as "taking an age"! I really do despair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Black Market looks to be on Monaghan Road, not Centre Park Road. Google Maps is giving me 25 mins from the bus station to the Black Market, 30 mins if your starting point is Patrick's Street. It's 2km from Patrick's Street. Assuming average walking speed of 5km/hour, that's 24 mins if you can maintain a constant pace the whole way. Given there are roads to cross, that'll add an extra couple of minutes. I suppose time is relative, but an hour's round trip travel time is not insignificant.

Perhaps I am mistaken that the Black Market is across the road from the Marina Market but I stand by the fact that MM is 10 to 15 minutes walk from The South Mall - 17 minutes from GPO, according to Google - that's "an age" ? The claim was made about the walk to MM, not The Black Market

It's an age if you're walking as I was, in pissing rain with few places to shelter, through a badly lit, post industrial wasteland.

And your 15 mins flaking along would be a lot slower with kids or older people.

AW. Poor Whiskey. It must have been awful for you. I hope you've gotten over it.

15 minutes walking is an age!😂

(while I understand rain and poor lighting may make a walk less pleasant but, no matter how you spin it, it doesn't make it any longer.) I can't imagine any reasonable person claiming that a 15 minute walk is a long walk by any means for an able bodied person. Although, I have been shocked on here before by people's reluctance to walk pretty much anywhere and the short distances between places in Cork that people often insist are way, way longer.

Good for you champ.

Well as long as you're male, fit and can take care of yourself in dimly lit areas that is all that matters. Fcuk everyone else am I right?

• Advertisement

I will leave it here as I've dragged this thread off topic enough. But

You subsequently made comments about the lighting and the rain and the oh so awful environment after I challenged the notion that 15 minutes is "an age" of a walk. It isn't. The fact that it may be dimly lit, have uneven surfaces or it might be raining really has nothing to do with the distance between MM and the city - which is what I was commenting on. Perhaps your shoes were pinching you, too, but that would not change the distance. Your comment that I challenged was that it "takes an age to walk to the MM" - no matter what caveats you decide to add in after your original comment doesn't change my challenge.

Had you said that it was a dark, unpleasant and unsafe walk - that would be a different matter - but that's not what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

I know people walk at different speeds so I won't comment on the duration.

However the path along Centre Park Road is excellent, quite broad and the lighting has been renewed over the past few years. It's a much more pleasant route to walk as is evidenced by the numbers who can be seen using it.

Monahan Road is less pleasant and for pedestrians is a much less used road.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The files for Aldi's extension plans in Douglas have been uploaded to the City Council's website. It doesn't look like any of the retail units are going anywhere. The extension is to do with the reception area and some of the ancillary retail storage space

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mrpdap

The paths on Centre Park road were terrible until a few years ago. Then miraculously they were redone. Just before the Ed Sheeran concert.

Or maybe it was a coincidence. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Tabletop Cork (formerly of Castle St) are opening a pop-up shop in Merchants Quay SC for the month of December.

Great to see them back in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stoolie

The new book shop on Patrick Street near Ulster Bank looks great but the absolute filth around the new "robot trees" there would stop anyone going near it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yet another cbd shop open on oliver plunkett street.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Good to see this redevelopment approved and new tenants have been secured. This retail park was never fully tenanted in it's current form. The closure of 4Home left the development desolate looking.

Jysk and Chemist Warehouse are to open alongside the redeveloped Lidl store.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40760124.html

There will also be a coffee shop unit and one more additional unit.

Is Next still trading on Opera Lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

another Cafe application .... how many more can the city hold ?!! Closed Cork city centre spot could be turned into brand new coffee shop - Cork Beo

Some retail news outside the city centre. Carraig Donn have opened a new store in Douglas Court, where New Look were. Here's Health are opening a café/restaurant in the old High Street Books store. That means the centre is fully let outside of I think the old ice cream shop, the former Boots and maybe something by the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Tom Winters Barbers on North Main Street looks pretty gutted - some chairs left but most of the interior gone.

Nothing on their social media channels & they are still open for bookings on Booksy.

odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Oh that’s strange. He did say on social media recently that he had big news coming for 2022.

Huh, I missed that - their last Instagram post was 11 November being just a "thank you" post to their customers without a mention to 2022. No FB to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Maybe I dreamt it- could have been on his story or something. I’d find it very hard to believe he’s gone anyway. He was booked up for months. It’d be an awful pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Can somebody enlighten me on what's so great about Chemist Warehouse? Never heard of them.

Passed by Tom Winters again - see photo. It could be just a refurb but still really odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

They're new to Ireland so not a household name here yet but they're a big Australian pharmacy chain that boasts to having the cheapest products in Ireland. They've just opened a few stores in Dublin this past year. They operate a pile em high, sell em cheap strategy so there will be no fancy make up counters or instore nail salons. I found the one near me in Blanchardstown not that much cheaper than Boots if I'm honest for things like contact lens solutions, dental products or deodorants (maybe 10c or 20c per product at most).

Advertisement