Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You were lecturing about "helpful" comments earlier? 🙄

Nah it is completely unhelpful and downright obnoxiously disrespectful to start bringing in commentary about deviancy and disorders into this discussion. Why should we tolerate this disgusting intolerance?

Its nothing to do with having a different perspective on the issues. This is about extremely rude, condescending and disrespectful pejorative insults about trans people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The discussion took a dark disrespectful tone last night. Thats not an irrelevant rabbit hole. You want me to shut up and stay quiet. Nah. Im calling it out for what it is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Trans people are a very small minority. Very very small. So small in fact that despite the fact that the cure for being trans (or rather the cure for being trapped in the wrong body) is comparatively dear the costs even in a society with communal payment for healthcare the costs are negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Lol your basic grasp of secondary school biology isn't nearly enough to explain trans people. Your very unscientific closed mind prevents you even from seeking out the scientific literature and on top of that, it is your opinion that the RoT shouldn't allow people born male.

It's a very irrational stance to take.

However, the RoT committee think differently. I don't know (despite pages of your posts) why you think transwomen should be excluded except vague noises of 'I don't like it' and 'biology'.. but typing biological male over and over doesn't explain why you would prefer to exclude trans women from the RoT.

To start a medical transition you are looking at a couple of k in psychiatry, endocrinologist, doctors fees and prescriptions. If MtF you'll have hair removal and other procedures. That's before you get anywhere near surgeries. All the while you will have certain types looking to control what you can or cannot do based on what procedures you've had.

For an individual, it's not a light undertaking and not a frivolous as some make out. As far as I know, the individual would pay most of these costs (or face a very long waiting time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see you STILL haven't learnt the difference between biological male and trasnwoman, then. After however many pages, I would have thought ypu'd do the basic research but then I fear of what you might discover is too strong.

Also, tThe process of transitioning required hormonal treatments, which occur in the human body naturally and are therefore bioligical, so there. Biology brought into the dsicussion and sorted.

Can we move on now? Or at least address it rather than waiting two days, and saying the same thing again as if everyone here has a short memory?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It goes waaay beyond "having a different perspective" or "sensitivities" - I am not saying all GC Fervent Activists actively want to harm transgender people but the fact remains that transgender women are frequently murdered in horrifically violent ways due to being transgender.

If I was to say that GC Fervent Activists emboldened by their Keyboard warrior supporters and those who murder Transgender people share a perspective the spluttering outrage would be something to behold as the report button goes into meltdown.

Nonetheless, the "we just care passionately about protecting biological women" trope paints transgender women as predators/threats ( it's really the only so-called 'reasonable' excuse they can use) and some people take that idea to it's logical conclusion by literally seeking to remove the threat

In exactly the same way as those who claimed homosexuality is "unnatural" shared a perspective with the murderers of Declan Flynn (and the judge who left them off with a suspended sentence), and Matthew Shepard. Transphobia, like homophobia, really is the slippery slope that leads to people being killed. We know this. There are enough heartbreaking examples to leave no doubts about where the perspective of portraying a minority as a danger or a threat (particularly to children) leads.

As for "sensitivities" - have people with whatever position you are in been called fetishists? Deviants? Potential abusers? Actual abusers? Is is stated that some people pretend to be in your position in order to gain access to young girls in changing rooms and toilet? Have people in your position been violently challenged when simply trying to use a public facility? Have people been beaten to death for being in your position? Have you been told your position doesn't actually exist?

When a person's very existence is being threatened to classify them as being "sensitive" is, imo, stunningly insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As irrelevant rabbit holes go, biological considerations clearly have nothing whatsoever to do with the decision by a committee to decide on the criteria which THEY choose are relevant considerations in determining who is or isn’t eligible to participate in a competition THEY organise.

You’re perfectly entitled to argue that biology SHOULD be a relevant consideration, but in attempting to do so, you’re arguing that the rules of the competition should be changed to suit your standards, and changing the rules of any competition simply has nothing to do with biology, as the rules of any competition are made up, they don’t come about as a consequence of nature and they have nothing to do with biology which is a branch of science.

Even the way you try and conflate biology with sociology demonstrates nothing more than a poor understanding of both scientific disciplines. Wiki is just handy for demonstrating the differences between the two scientific disciplines which you don’t appear to be able to grasp, perhaps due to your poor understanding of both, but far more likely due to your unwillingness to attempt to understand the purpose of either -

It really is a joke to be called "sensitive" and "unhelpful" for calling out the disgusting attempts to portray trans people as sex addicts, deviants and disordered - but its ok because it was qualified as "some". 🙄

Terry Pratchet

Indeed.

I was careful to make it clear that not all people who don't believe transgender women are women and fear SOME of them are sexual predators want them harmed. Just SOME of them.

• Advertisement

I think you are spot on. It is the first step in the pyramid of hate as far as Im concerned.

Terry Pratchet

The post above might seem a bit extreme but when people start bringing in sex addiction, deviancy and disorders into the discussion and objections are painted as "unhelpful" and "sensitive" and many others silently agree, I dont think it is really.

Terry Pratchet

Who silently agrees, if they thank the post they agree if they don’t then they don’t agree.

With the greatest of respects, much of that lower pyramid applies to the opposition perspective and not my side of things.

Nice try at projection, though.

Says it all that you dont object to discussion about deviancy and disorders.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If they have a higher than average rate of deviancy, why shouldn't it be discussed? I doubt you'd object to talking about males being more prone to deviancy in regard to rape, so why should it be off the table for trans people?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Show that is the case then, go create a thread on it.. but it's like throwing rape claims into a conversation about Volvo drivers or something. Now I'm not saying volvo drivers are more rapey than other drivers but I know for a fact some Volvo drivers have committed sexual offences. So maybe we should keep Volvo drivers separate from other vehicles?

Anyway, I digress slightly. What on earth has it got to do with the Rose of Tralee?

Incidentally, trans people do tend to be involved in a much higher number of crimes involving sex offences. As the victims.

But it seems a lot of people who claim to care about others don't actually want to help the victims in these cases.

Post edited by km991148 on

If you're that bothered write to the ROT committtee and tell them they shouldnt be allowing deviants in. They'd throw it straight in the bin where it belongs. It really does show this discussion up for what it is that people are harping on about deviancy and disorders.

Terry Pratchet

That's the irony isn't it.

There is a vocal group within the general GC movement who clutch their pearls and scream they are being misrepresented if it is suggested they have common cause with the extremists within their own ranks (I believe the term used in this thread was "Our side" showing a definite sense of unity of purpose ), however this same vocal group will happily refer to unspecified (or specified) possible dangers of allowing who they describe as men accessing "women's spaces".

When asked to produce evidence it all gets very vague and over there in Ohio or Tooting Bec my auntie's best mates courier read in the Clickbait Express about blah blah blah.

They, and I do believe some are sincere if misguided, claim to want to protect possible victims from potential predators while feeding the hate that has, and continues to, kill members of a tiny minority.

Warning about what they believe could happen while ignoring what is happening. They are siding with murderers.

• Advertisement

They are siding with murderers.

There's a very good reason why gender activists and ideologues are considered extremist. This disgraceful comment is just the most recent example.

And your request for "evidence" is palpably absurd at exactly the same time that you argue that some biological males are literally women.

I'll take no advice on evidence from you, thank you very much.

Still silent on all the discussion about disorders and deviancy.

Terry Pratchet

Oh hello.

Are you still here?

Thought you had flounced off in a huff yesterday.

May I just say I am fascinated by how outraged you get about my general, yet qualified, comments about "your side" while remaining utterly silent when "your side" call people deviants. Not sideing with or allied to but actual deviants, or worse.

A person could begin to suspect some people's outrage is more of a tactical indignant splutter.

Either way, as I didn't address my post to you, tag you, or reference you do feel free not to accept any advice I didn't offer you.

I'm not responsible for his comments or your comments, only my comments.

You compared decent gender critical people as "siding with murderers".

No amount of deflection can undo that.

It's a total disgrace.

Still silent on the deviant and disorder comments.

Terry Pratchet

What has his comments got to do with me or the Rose of Tralee?

Answer: nothing.

This is just yet more deflection and distraction from the core argument against your position on this Rose of Tralee question that you refuse to address - namely, that biological males, irrespective of what they identify as, should not compete in women's competitions.

You won't address it because you don't have an argument against it.

And I don't blame you. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't have an argument against it either.

Hence the constant evasion, deflection, semi-Ad hominems, and every other logical fallacy in the book.

I ask you directly then. How do you feel about the assertion regarding trans people and sexual deviancy?

All you had to do was make a comment on it instead of several posts pretending to be outraged. But the silence is deafening.

And also the point has been addressed several times, you just refuse to accept other people's views might actually be valid.

The Rose of Tralee absolutely should allow trans people (those born male, or biological males to use your oversimplified, inaccurate and clumsy terminology) because they have explicitly allowed so in their rules.

That's it. Your opinion or mine counts for SFA beyond that.

• Advertisement

You are the one evading. You are the constantly referring to "your side" - you are the one pretending it was 1 poster. You are the one trying to run away from the actual discussion when the remarks of "your side" are called out. You're the one who actually supported part of the comments but now you are the one disowning them. As others have said your lack of outrage about the disgraceful disgusting comments of "your side" are very telling.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement