Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Here is a thread from the covid19 forum that will no doubt shock you https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058059949/working-from-home-megathread/p171

It is titled the Working from Home mega thread . It has 5200 replies . It may suprise you that a lot are private sector workers. Some of the those replies include workers who want to contact the HSA as they don’t have HEPA filters in their offices . The offices with a few people in them with staggered working patterns ……….

But don’t let any facts stand in the way of your teacher bashing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It’s parody. Look at the main threads and posters on there and their rhetoric.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Not all teachers are vaccinated. Not true. If schools don't open it will be for only a week or two.

You are right about long term damage but in a lot of schools badly behaved children are allowed wreck havoc year in year out. No withdrawal rooms. Yes we have more resource hours but let's not pretend the education system does not waste education time as it is.

The general consensus seems to be school closures?

• Advertisement

From who?

fir the first time in months the Covid is not the main headline on any of the main media websites . Not a thing about schools either.

I now fully believe they will open and it will be left once again to staff on the ground to keep them open .

The inspections must go on as well. No subs available but they must go on even though it it means more teachers must be covered during those days . Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

What inspections? And why do teachers need to be covered during inspections?

I can't believe we are still going to have a JCT day on March 🙈😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

At this stage any teacher who wishes to be vaccinated is vaccinated. I certainly don't want school to close because some individuals don't want to get a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

How long are we going to have to endure those JCT days do you know? Talk about muck! What a waste of time. I often wonder how many tuition days have been wasted on them.

I think some subjects are still only starting out with the new JC, so for another while yet I'd say.

They really are the worst days

• Advertisement

Child Protection Inspections. 3 days in total. 2 for initial visit and one for follow up.

Teachers chosen at random in the morning to be freed up by the middle of the day. No problem sure loads of subs and S&S available these days . Seperate meetings with P, DP, BOM , some year heads , RSE, SPHE teachers as well as groups of students from each year group.

incidental subject inspections were also taking place until they were “paused” at the end of November until end of February (I think)

It's the level of condescension at them that gets me. I mean thank God for the JCT teaching me the value of post-its because God knows I'd never have taught an engaging class only for them. 😑😑😑

Really? Not the impression I'm getting at all.

I neglected to say all those meetings are held in person in the school as well

This thread going around in circles.

The hospital service is going to be overwhelmed soon. That is obvious.

Thus a partial lock down will be announced early next week. Expect leaks today.

Schools will be delayed coming back a minimum one week later.

Adeiu

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Sure you can still be sick with the vaccine. Most of the under 12s are still not vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

On Christmas Eve, there was an announcement, listed as breaking news, that there would be a delayed school reopening to Tuesday 11 January 2022.

Did anyone else hear that? I can find no reference to it since, to understand if it was a recommendation or an actual measure to be adopted. There is no reference on the Newstalk site, or anywhere else. Did they jump the gun in saying it on air?

Am I imagining things?

Are they my feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

it was 30th December. People started sharing the announcement from 30th December 2020 as if it was new, someone in newstalk ran with it briefly, but then realised their mistake.

You could be right but I really hope you are incorrect in your prediction.

Further school closure will have minimal impact on community transmission therefore will not help the hospital situation.

Also what good would one week do, COVID will still be there the following week.

• Advertisement

Oh, okay. I never heard of these. Are these the 'Covid inspections'?

We had one of these and there was no supervision, dept-appointed inspector arrived at my door with principal and principal stood into my room while I was asked if I knew who the DLP and DDLP were.

Inspector then addressed my class and asked some (leading) questions, from the safety of the door threshold (didn't actually come into the room) then she went on her way.

Any teacher she met with, she met them during their free classes so there was zero cover needed for us.

It was just a morning thing, 10-1 though. Not 3 days, so I'd say we are not talking about the same thing.

I'm sure you're qualified to back this up but I'm skeptical of your point.

No

The Covid inspections were the only ones allowed last year. Also had one of those last December

Full inspections returned this year .

The news story was ran approx one hour after someone incorrectly posted the dec 2020 circular about extended school holidays on boards ………….

We currently have massive numbers of community transmission, unprecedented in fact and schools are currently closed. The numbers of pupils in schools have been very low since mon 20th Dec.

You're right I'm not qualified but I would pay attention to how other countries are handling this in relation to education. We have very good vaccine uptake which is providing very good protection against serious illness. So far our ICU numbers are holding steady. That is the most important metric.

School closures should be viewed as an absolute last resort, not some sort of easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Incidental inspections were taking place last term until they were 'paused' in November. Backlash from pretty much the entire school community the reason. Full inspection suite was due to restart this year but hard to see how that'll happen now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Was in Temple St last night and it wasn't exactly overrun (i have seen it worse!!) But they were short staffed and they said it up front.Doctors were sick.

The wait was 6 hours to be seen as my child wasn't hugely serious (long story as to why we ended up in there).Normal on a really busy day, but last night it was due to a lack of doctors.Walking around a local town here this morning, I saw two businesses closed with signs up saying they had staff shortages unexpectedly, and I know a third posted the same on its website.

I don't think the hospitals will be overrun -so far the data seems to indicate that, although I absolutely agree that can change -staffing is where the problem will lie across all sectors.If we close schools, we will need to close everything tbh, because we won't see any desired effect without that - sure schools have already been closed 11 or 12 days now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

It was shared widely in class WhatsApp groups too. It’s amazing how these things spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Any teachers / principals know what sort of absences a staff could cope with and operate safely.

I was working all day yesterday with our CEO. We have several construction sites live. Our supply chain (subbies and materials) estimate 50% absences if we were open now. Hoping for 33% absences for Wednesday.

We are not going to open Tuesday. As we need all management in. That way we can reconcile our own staffing levels and available tests.

We'll be doing 100% antigen testing at the gate. And fully expect positives.

Basically a site can open safely with less staff. And we can shift a couple managers about to keep show on the road. We'll just be slower.

I just cannot see with the current levels of isolations and people on restricted movement how any school will operate.

How will the principal even know the staffing levels he/she has on a given day? Or is it a matter of sending all kids home at a certain absentee level?

Every classroom that has students in it will need to have an adult supervising it.

Classes or groups cannot be merged, for a number of reasons, Covid, different class groups/subjects and physical space in a room being 3 off the top of my head.

There are teachers available, subs whose only job it is to cover classes and then teachers who are teaching their own classes but have a couple of 40min periods free a week where they could stand in. These free classes are not in endless supply, but there has been funding provided to schools to find more of these hours (if they can)

With isolating teachers, a principal will have some kind of an idea about absence numbers as days go on, but yes, they will have no way of knowing the full impact for sure until that morning.

If things get very bad you could see something like Transition Year students being sent home and then teachers of those classes being used to sub in for isolating teachers.

If that happens, there would be no live classes at home for TYs as teachers would be tied up elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I think keeping the schools closed for the extra 2 days could help. Isolating and picking up the virus in the days around Christmas means more staff will be out of isolation by the 10th who won't be by the 5th. Be a classic dept move to just leave this up to the schools though, essentially leave everyone at the mercy of whatever the principal thinks or staffing can feasibly allow. The DOE lack of leadership strikes again.

Sending a rake of kids in for a couple of days where they will likely have free classes and with significant levels of student absense seems mad. Even those extra couple of days, which we can make back later, would really help. Countdown is really 14 days from mass mixing, assuming it was over Christmas the 10th just makes more sense.

The news on omicron is at least looking positive

Based on our current numbers I'd wonder about opening at all. Very little s and s, maybe a few days worth left. If absense is running at 20-30% in a school it's effectively not really a runner. Keep the exam years is probably a solid plan but, depending on who's out, that could be difficult too. As outlined above, simple solutions don't work in secondary with the complexities of timetabling.

On the numbers that mean you have to close, again it's difficult to say. If someone with a few hours if support or an ancillary role like BFL is out, no issue. You could take all of them out and the school would run. Now take out your Irish, French, German, Maths, Geog ect teachers with 21.20 on their timetables every year and it's looking a lot shakier a lot faster.

The lack of teachers is something no one seems vaguely concerned about in the media.......it will literally be the reason kids are sent home now, I wonder will that make people sit up and take notice. It's chronic in urban areas and it is absolutely leading to a difference in the quality of education geographically in the country

I do think in this current situation the two(well 4 including the weekend ) could be valuable

There is likely to be a lot of staff absences for the first two days due to Xmas gatherings . They will have begun to abate by the Monday to a more manageable level

Otherwise you will likely have the scenario in some schools of students being sent home again Thursday morning

Its probably the prudent and sensible thing to do with case numbers expected to peak next week .

But it can be for no more than those two days .

• Advertisement

And primary completely reliant on subs?

Or do they end up reliant on unqualified eg SNA?

I'd say lot of subs be reticent going in this week and risk having to isolate for 10 days, when paid day rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I got it on WhatsApp from one of my colleagues trying to catch us all out. I spotted the date instantly 🤣🤣

SNAs are def being used at secondary, I wouldn't be sure on primary because they are younger and it's the whole day. SET are def being used, the provision for kids with additional needs has been decimated.....again without much word from the DOE.

From what I know subs aren't moving around anyway. It's basically impossible to get any teacher in Dublin, if they are in a school they are on full hours subbing. There is very little to no movement in the system. Dips being used to a huge extent too, and people who literally just have a degree, no actual teaching qualification. People should be pissed, if their nurse wasn't qualified they'd be up in arms but some lad with a degree in business and no pedagogical knowledge is grand teaching exam years Irish? Madness really

I don't know about primary, sorry. But, you make a good point about the reluctance of subs.

One of my friends is a primary teacher on career break (or parental leave, not sure which) and was subbing, but they have decided not to go back until Feb to wait for things to die down.

This could well be the thought of a lot of subs, depending on how much they need the hours of course.

To be fair to my principal, SET and SNAs haven't been touched at all.

We have heaps of unqualified subs though. A lot, as you say, who are from different sectors entirely with no desire to teach at all. None of them, to my knowledge, are teaching though, just supervising classrooms. The end result is the same however, low to no levels of teaching/learning.

• Advertisement

It's so dependent on the leadership in the schools whether it done alright, good your principal is standing strong on that.

I often wonder what they do in the DOE, local arrangements are de riguer in schools, possibly for the better, but it begs the questions why they couldn't order a few HEPA filters ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hmm I'm not sure that will get much support. I wouldn't be overly opposed to it as long as we were guaranteed that they would 100 per cent reopen on the 10th. I think some teachers want longer though for various reasons. Probably the end of January or something silly like that.

My kid had 3 teachers, during that last period.

1st did reading videos and sessions. Did video walkthroughs of maths and Irish, so kids could work along with her ( and parents could see what was coming). Basically recorded herself going through the important sections.

2nd did a 10 minute class call, a week, and some nonsense online resourced "homework" sent out on Monday morning.

3rd teacher had them in class and home. All class work was sent home with interactive puzzles matching the classwork sent online.

Several cases of teachers taking zero interest in the idea of actually working from home, in my own social circles and all over this thread. It was far from isolated cases

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Take note teachers - yet another example from a parent @[Deleted User] who says:

“Several cases of teachers taking zero interest in the idea of actually working from home, in my own social circles and all over this thread. It was far from isolated cases.”

BuT, buT, bUt TeaCHeR bAshiNg!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

God do you ever STOP???

you’re a lazy teacher who did the bare minimum for your pupils and you want to go around preaching that you’re brilliant for doing it because others were, instead of doing the best you could, not the minimum you could scrape by with!

You’re an absolute disgrace to the profession and you should be absolutely ashamed of your behaviour and of boasting about it. The cheek of you to even show you face in school, I’d be mortified if I was you.

If I was your principal I’d have given you your written warning by now and hope you leave for greener pastures!

A written warning for what exactly? There are no sanctions for teachers who don’t teach online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

She again confirms she didn’t teach online! Jesus wept…

Seems to be the equivalent to the posters who declare that they cycle but believe cyclists should be flogged daily at dawn for their very existance.

A written warning for what exactly?

And why are you calling me lazy? I did full teaching during the last lockdown.

This thread is about school reopening, not what was or wasn't done in the past. You are literally lurking and waiting to make the same comment over and over and its completely pointless. If you have any thoughts on epidemiology or provision of cover or the factors impacting schools returning in general we are all ears!

Please just start your own thread called "teachers didn't do online learning" to asuage your own guilt. Most of us are focused on the issues facing our society and how it will effect our school communities and generally (very obvious from the threads at the time) People on here worked extremely hard and we're very generous with their skill sets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement