Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Makes depressing reading here that people are predicting further restrictions and schools being closed. There is no reason to do it. This version is a milder version and nothing more than a cold. Schools need to open as normal and people need to keep kids who are positive out simple as that, same way people who test positive isolate. This is not rocket science and people should stop looking for restrictions as it only encourages NPHET and the government to take the easy way out. Time to start living with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not quite "No-one".....if you've a brother in law with a bit of a little business importing these yokes,or you know a lad down the Golf-Club who has "an interest" in a factory manufacturing them...then you have enough motive to keep the whirlygig spinning as fast as possible,for as long as possible.....Remember...we are in a Public Health EMERGENCY !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

@Floppybits of course there’s no reason to do it…. But this is NPHET we’re talking about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

While I can see your point of view and I can see why people would have your opinion, what I don't understand is the creation of hypothetical situations and portraying them as fact (not you doing that by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh, I agree and I'm not taking anything as fact either as you say but I'm also not expecting anything to be lifted until March. That's not to say they'll necessarily bring in additional measures as I don't think anyone can predict nphet these days.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

I can only speak from my group of mates and family... Both vaccinated and unvaccinated...

With the expection of a few of us, everyone i know has caught it. It was ranged from no symptoms but isolation, to a runny nose with no cough, to a day in bed with lemsips

For human beings, there is always a fear of the unknown... So the more people that get this and if (I stress if because I know people will twist things) people get symptoms as above, the fear goes. Once the fear goes, the light bulb is turned on and the patience for NPHET, Government and restrictions go...

What happens then?

Human beings trying to play God always ends badly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What happens then? Then we get on living with this and stop the nonsense of restrictions, lock downs and covid certs especially these. No more of this caution crap that seen restrictions in place during the summer and then lifting them at the end of October, of all the ridiculous decisions they made that had to be the most ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

we started living with this in march 2020, so what you want has been delivered already.

and no this strain while it is milder, is not nothing more then a cold, suggesting otherwise is the usual nonsense that has been thrown out by certain types in relation to covid.

it is still covid and covid is not flue or just a cold, as we know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

this supposed fear is just a figment of your imagination.

the vast majority of people are not in fear of covid and haven't been for a long time, however even if vaccinated, most people want to try and avoid it as they will still have to isolate.

That's my point though...

Whether people admit it or not, once things go back to normal, people aren't gonna be the same.

For example, I already know someone who won't get public transport again so he doesn't have to be around people... Another who is terrified to leave his home until Tony gives it the OK...(I know Holohan has but, that's the mentality of some)

How do you rectify that in society?

• Advertisement

I have a few mates and family members who live in fear.

Can I pass on your number to them? So you can tell them it's a figment of their imagination?

Deadly serious BTW... They ain't listening to me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think stuff like that will take time for people.

I've said before the people who have wfh throughout this will take longer to adjust than frontline workers who had no choice but to deal with it in terms of workplaces

Well that's wrong as I know plenty who have gotten this strain and the most severe case was a vaccinated person in bed for a day, sucking on a lemsip

The others had **** all.

It's of note that the "Light Bulb" has been turned on for quite some time now,in many countries.

One of the more important elements to note however,is the scale of responses from the Authorities,probably best seen in the savage reactions of various Australian Police Forces,and in Europe,the significantly OTT responses of the Netherlands Police Force,including the discharge of live rounds in the direction of protesters.

What IS more notable in the Irish context is how the State Broadcaster is now reporting the latest scenes from there,is contrast to the very low-key reportage of such protests going back almost a year.

Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema issued an emergency ordinance, empowering police to clear the central Museum Square, after the protesters violated a ban on holding public gatherings during the latest wave of coronavirus infections.

The absolute requirement now,is to retain as much of the "Emergency Powers" as they can,this includes our own Government,who will do whatever it takes to write as many of the impositions into ordinary everyday legislation...just in case.

At some point,Ireland will wake up also,but I suspect it will not occur until the Social Welfare pot dries up,when folks will suddenly realise that they have been roasted-on-a spit for very little return.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Will you give over. I had influenza Xmas 2016. It wiped out my entire Xmas. Couldn't get off the couch for about 5 days. Massive temperature, chills, aches, horrible asthma, coughing, and no energy to walk. Pure misery.

Fast forward 5 years to the very day and I come down with Covid Omicron. No temperature, no chills, no aches, no breathing difficulties, very little coughing, and plenty of energy to walk and drink beer and wine every single day. Only similarity is my Christmas was again wiped out, but not because of the virus, but the restrictions.

I guess you are right in one way. It's not the flu - it's significantly milder.

the police in the netherlands had no choice as they were dealing with extremely violent far right groups some of who were armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

In what way have we been living with this since March 2020? Living in fear maybe?

it's not milder no .

some people will only get mild symptoms or none at all but they are even less likely to get flue or even be effected by it.

so covid is not milder then flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Some of those clowns literally tried calling people who did their own research, the "do your own research brigade". It lasted about a week or so due to the obvious idiocy of mocking people for their skepticism.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

by tailoring public health measures to manage it.

if you were hoping for us to do nothing and class that as living with it then that was never going to happen due to the fact it would crash the country.

Hang on, you say those who get this mild are the people who are unlikely to get flu, even though I told you I got this mild and I got flu 5 years ago and it absolutely destroyed me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep my OH who is 58 tested positive after a barky cough

Spent about three days in bed with fatigue, headache, joint pain and a bit of a tight chest. Now feeling much better. Had one day of no appetite then back to normal

Not comparable to flu tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I don’t think NPHET will veer off from an over cautious approach but my hope is that their approach won’t be followed to a tee. NPHET make the recommendations to the government. However, If the public mood changes towards Covid and restrictions etc then the back benchers are going to start stepping out of line to protect their seats if MM and Leo aren’t careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

It's thanks to comments like this one that we are still in this situation, anything outside the false safety shield created by the governments, is considered far right extremist. Nether less I appreciate what you wrote, it helped me to understand how clueless and hypnotized many still are, also thanks to it, I can now definitely add you to my ignore list

Article from Luke O'Neill in the Indo. You know the game is up when he's saying we are nearly at the end.

Everyone is wondering the same thing. Doctors and scientists are poring over the data. What might happen in the first few weeks of 2022 when it comes to Omicron? It’s strange to think it only emerged just over four weeks ago. Will it all get really bad? Will more restrictions be introduced? Will schools reopen?

Right now, it looks challenging. The number of cases has indeed sky-rocketed, as was predictable from what was seen in South Africa.

There surely must be almost no household left without a case of Covid-19 or someone who is a close contact. And yet so far at least there hasn’t been a huge surge in hospitalisations and ICU admissions. Why might that be?

Well, it’s possible the lag between becoming infected and Covid-19 progressing to serious disease is yet to fully play out. We might see hospitalisations rise, but there is now a consensus among experts that the link from cases to hospitalisations is broken when it comes to Omicron.

Hospitals feel the pressure as Omicron wreaks havoc

We are seeing the same thing again and again as Omicron takes over throughout the world.

Cases rising faster than in the Delta wave but hospitalisations lower than would be expected.

A lot fewer people in South Africa ended up in hospital when compared to previous waves of infection. That data has just been published in the reputable medical journal The Lancet . It might be different in other countries, but so far so good.

There is, however, a range from place to place when it comes to how much less severe Omicron is.

Hospitalisations were reduced by 80pc in South Africa, but so far the decrease is around 60pc in Scotland and 40pc in England. It’s not clear why this is, but the Omicron wave may look different from country to country given local immune protection and other factors like the level of other diseases that put people at risk of severe disease. But overall we should expect this Omicron wave to be significantly less troubling than earlier waves.

Data from South Africa and England also indicate that if someone ends up in hospital with Omicron, their stay is likely to be shorter than with Delta. If this pans out, it’s another piece of good news because it will relieve pressure on hospitals. 

We also have some recent interesting science which indicates why Omicron might be innately less severe. There are now six separate lab-based studies showing that Omicron can hardly infect lungs at all.

That number of studies shows how serious this issue has been taken by scientists and they all have found the same thing. It is much better at infecting the upper airways, maybe as high as 70 times better than Delta.

This may well be an important explanation why for most people Omicron is not causing severe disease.

The main symptoms being reported — runny nose, dry cough, no fever —are consistent with an upper airway infection. It’s also why it’s no surprise that people who are fully vaccinated still might become infected.

The vaccines protect the lungs but aren’t that good at protecting the nose. But, importantly, those infections might not be causing severe illness because if Omicron gets to the lungs it doesn’t lodge there, and even if it does in some (if, say, the dose of virus is high), if you’re vaccinated, your immune system will help clear it.

And there’s yet more science that gives us hope. That other important part of your immune system — your T cells — have been shown to be well able to fight Omicron. T cells work by killing cells infected with virus. Omicron can dodge antibodies, but it is less able to dodge the T cells which come to the rescue. Evolution cleverly built a Plan B into the immune system, and that Plan B is your T cells.

What does all this science tell us about the next few weeks? Because 95pc of our adult population are fully vaccinated, with over two million boosted (a huge achievement which everyone should be proud of), and because it looks like Omicron is less able to infect lungs anyway, we can be hopeful. We can also be hopeful cases will peak soon and then start to fall.

‘Up fast, down fast’ appears to be what’s happened in South Africa. It happens because the virus runs out of road. And then immunity builds up, which is even stronger in those who have been vaccinated. Fingers crossed that over the next two weeks this will happen here too.

However, because of the sheer force of numbers, hospitals are right to prepare for an increase in hospitalisation and ICU admission.

Temporary hospitals are being built in England to deal with a potential overspill of inpatients. Studies are showing that the unvaccinated make up a high proportion of those being hospitalised.

Dr Craig Spencer, an emergency room doctor in New York, recently reported that almost all of those who were admitted to his hospital for Covid-19 are unvaccinated. He said of the unvaccinated: “Every one of them with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breathe regularly.”

This is also apparently the case in Ireland. As ever we must keep encouraging people to be vaccinated, where surely at this stage, with 95pc of adults fully vaccinated with no serious ill effects, not to mention the billions worldwide, fear of vaccination has been assuaged.

With all this in mind, we put our best foot forward in 2022.

One projection concludes that Omicron is going to infect 40pc of the entire world in the next two months. After this massive Omicron wave passes through, transmission should drop to very low levels.

The schools must reopen, given the damage that keeping them closed does. Ensure that good ventilation and/or air filtration is deployed there.

We’ll have to keep up with the public health measures for a little while longer because there are still vulnerable people out there, but plan to reopen hospitality and entertainment fully in the coming weeks.

Lastly, we have one more superpower to deploy: anti-viral drugs, most notably Paxlovid.

This should become available to use in the first part of 2022 and again there is a huge consensus among commentators that this will make a big difference.

Essentially the likely situation is that all high-risk people will have strong immunologic protection and newly infected high-risk people can also be given the antiviral drug to kill the virus. What a tremendous prospect to look forward to. Most of all, we can prepare for the endgame.

The next few weeks are still somewhat uncertain of course. This virus has surprised us a few times already. But we have grounds for real optimism. Just like we said about finding a vaccine in the darker days of 2020, we can use one of the key phrases from the pandemic. Cautious optimism must prevail in the coming weeks. Out with the old (Omicron) and in with 2022, the year when the Covid-19 pandemic will end.  

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

This strain does appear to be milder than those previous, but there were idiots on these threads saying the same about previous strains and the flu when it was clear Covid was much more deadly than flu. Chances are had you been infected by a previous strain you might not have fared as well as did from this particular one.

On the issue of research.

Reading through this article,is there any particular question that comes to your mind....?

The official number of cases under investigation, 48, remains unchanged since it was first announced in early spring 2021. But multiple sources say the cluster could now be as many as 150 people, with a backlog of cases involving young people still requiring further assessment.

“I’m truly concerned about these cases because they seem to evolve so fast,” said the source. “I’m worried for them and we owe them some kind of explanation.”

One to watch ?

• Advertisement

Even worse,or perhaps actually better...There were no reports of protesters using firearms against the Police.

Every other type of projectile yes,but no gunfire.

Police Public Order Units worldwide,undergo rigorous training for exactly these situations,and discharging live rounds AT protesters is virtually unknown (Even in the home of gun usage,the U.S.A.)

I remain baffled at just how the instructions to use live rounds came to be issued,and more importantly Who issued them ?

Advertisement