Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭revelman

I’ve seen a lot of this sort of analysis over the last few days, both here and amongst people I know:

A. i have just caught COVID

B. my symptoms are very mild.

C. It therefore follows that all of the restrictions over the last two years were meaningless.

Do we need to remind ourselves that the Omicron variant we are currently experiencing appears to be multiple times less dangerous than the previous versions of the virus that were circulating for the last two years. On top of that we have wide vaccine coverage. On top of that, it was always the case that younger, healthier people were way more likely to suffer mild symptoms than older ones and this will continue with Omicron. There has been a lot of historical revisionism going on in recent days. Let’s not forget that Covid was a serious disease but we seem to have got through the worst of it now (hopefully!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,639 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you had Delta in July you could have Omicron now. Dunno how long Omicron will give you sterilising immunity v next variant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

You would have to at this stage question the validity of the masks with so many people getting infected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anyone I know got infected in a home setting . Whole families all positive

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Hi all!

Hope you are all doing okay. Weird question. Found out I'm a close contact today and so far testing negative but considering this variant is so contagious I will be shocked if I don't test positive over the next few days. Anyway, I got my booster 9 days ago and one side effect I experienced was swollen and sore lymph nodes under the armpit of the side I got the booster. It went away after a couple of days but now I'm feeling slight discomfort in the same place again. Very weird and wondering has anyone else experienced something similar, wonder if it's an early indicator or anything! Just interested to see if anyone who has tested positive experienced this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

They're simply one tool to try and reduce transmission in certain settings. We all know people don't wear masks 24/7 and at a guess, most people are contracting the virus from the likes of house visits, workplaces where measures are lax, schoolkids bringing it home etc. It's simply an effort to try and reduce the spread of the virus in indoor public places. The messaging around it is terrible though, looking at how many people are going around with their noses peeking over their masks. They might as well take the things off at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭iwasliedto

The other half tested antigen-positive Monday 27th. I have had 6 negative antigen tests since. I have not isolated from her in the house and we have mingled as per usual. We both got boosters on the 20th Dec. Just got PCR results back, her positive me negative. So even though we have been mixing as normal I didn't pick it up........yet.

Just to add she seems to have given it to some of her friends who she met on the 26 after getting a negative antigen test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Into day four of isolation now, and I feel perfectly fine. It's hard to believe I still have another three days of isolation left, when I'm feeling like I could go for a run or play a game of soccer! Wife is still testing negative on antigens so that's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

I took 3 antigen tests between 10pm last night and now.

First 1 had a faint red line, second 2 where negative. Have a pcr test booked for tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Out of interest, how long do people continue to test positive on antigen for? I’ve a family member into day 7 of positive antigens today. Symptoms all cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lots of people reporting possible false positives with those where pcr result was not detected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

You would have to be thick to come out with something like this at this stage of the pandemic. Masks aren't worn 24/7. Masks aren't worn in the home. Masks aren't worn in restaurants and pubs when you sit down to eat and drink. Some retail shops and all you see are visors. Then you have idiots going around with their noses hanging out and wearing them on their chins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Three of the adult kids were confirmed positive on 22nd and 23rd Dec via PCR. Negative antigen for me on the 24th. Started feeling a bit of a sore throat Christmas day. Then negative antigen on 26th. Worse the next two days with achy joints. Positive antigen 28th and confirmed positive PCR on 30th. I'd describe it as a very bad cold (nothing as bad as flu), although I don't have much energy - enough for the usual household chores but not enough for a long walk. Appetite is good. Chest has been tight at times but asthma reliever works ok. I've improved but it's not over yet. I had received a booster on the 13th, so I presume it has been of some help. My better half is fine having has a booster same day as me.

Bored out of me b.....ix at this stage ; I was a close contact before christmas and have covid after. There's only so much rubbish I can watch on the TV. I'll try another antigen tomorrow/monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Does anyone know how long it takes the HSE to contact you with a PCR test appointment after your GP refers you for one. After 2 days of failing to get a test myself, I spoke to the doctor yesterday morning and he agreed to refer me. I have still heard nothing and at this stage I'll have finished my 7 day isolation before I get the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PD2019

I had the same experience with the Genrui tests. Faint line on the first one (positive) . I then took 2 more tests straight after (one Genrui and the other some other brand) and both were negative. Took a further 3 tests since (brands other than Genrui) and all were negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Mine took 24 hours to get the text with test time from confirmation text from HSE that they received the referral

Is it not 10 days isolation?

7 if you have had a booster more than 7 days prior to symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I've been wiped the past 10 days...started with swolllen glands/sore throat then developed into chesty cough...

Negative antigen test about 1 week in but I wouldnt have too much confidence in that.

Throat is fine now and chest is clearing but the pain today seems to be in my teeth/gums...they're aching....anyone get this symptom?

I've been isolating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

If I may ask your wisdom on this. The missus was diagnosed yesterday with Covid. She hasn't bothered self isolating at home as according to her 'my symptoms started about 10 days ago so I'm through passing it on now'. This doesn't seem right. I thought you were supposed to self isolate for 10 days from when you found out.

I'm quite annoyed with her as our 4.5 year old had a bacterial infection in her lungs last week which we treated with antibiotics. That seems to have cleared up but I'd be concerned with Covid in the house. She has no underlying health conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's probably RSV virus you have. I got it from young kids who picked it up at school. Felt crap for 2 or 3 days in mid December. None of us tested positive for COVID on either antigen or PCR

It's tens days from either a positive test or when symptoms started, whichever was first.

Seven if you have had a booster.

So she is actually correct

Thanks. I didn't even receive a confirmation from the HSE that they'd received the referral. I got the booster in early December so it's 7 days isolation. I'm already going nuts with cabin fever so I'll be getting out after 7 days (if antigens are negative).

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Apologies it was actually a confirmation text from my GP surgery that they sent the referral not from the HSE I just looked back and checked there

Thanks for the clarification👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

delta august, omicron now. they told me 3 months after first dose is a posibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Similar experience with Genrui tests from Lidl last month. Tested positive on one, took another two tests on a different brand straight away, both negative. Next day also negative on a different brand. Third day took a Genrui test again and positive. PCR swabbed on Thursday came back negative and never had any symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i hope not,

i had it in May before i was eligible for any vaccines. Have since had 2 pfizers and a booster, surely to feck thats enough armour.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

How long did it take others for the antigen to turn negative?

First symptoms 24th, first antigen positive 26th, PCR positive 29th, and here we are on 2nd January and the f**king antigen is still showing up positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

you are 9 days from your first symptoms so it should be negative in a couple of days i'd imagine

as long as the antigen is still positive, you are infectious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What I don't understand is that, if this is the case, then why is a negative antigen not part of the guidance to leaving isolation? It just says 7 days if boostered, provided last 48 hours are symptom free. I tick all those boxes.

Also, am I the only one worried about the damage to our environment these antigen tests are doing? Are these things recyclable at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Antigen Tested positive on the 27th. No symptoms , antigen done because my daughters friend mother got it. My daughter was in Thier home.

All 3 at home tested positive, despite no symptoms. PCR done on all 3 on the 31st in Explorium in Sandyford.

Results back this morning at 9:30 , less than 48hours despite New years. All PCR results confirmed the antigen test.

Antigen test still showing as positive despite no symptoms. I'll be doing another set tonight and every day until clear for 2 days. Can't really go by HSE guidelines as we never had a fever, never had symptoms so it's hard to know when we got infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Hi Guys .I just done two Antigin tests .Both positive .Symptoms are a sneeze only .I own a Bar .Do I need to close it while I isolate as I live on the premises .Trying to book a PCR test now.Thanks for reading and advise would be much appreciated .

• Advertisement

Yes I'd say you should close while you isolate?

Thank you .I think so too but others are saying not to close .Cannot get through to the HSE to ask and no test spots available .

Why are we being told 10days isolation when antigen might be positive? Are we being told to test and remain in isolation if we continue to get positive antigens. All I hear is that you're free after 10 days isolation.

The only way I could see you being able to open if if you have someone who could open/run the place for you while you self isolate?

It can take several days to get a PCR at the moment. You could try a private test center the prices varies from 59 upwards

Symptoms on Wednesday. Negative result every day until this morning. I was out running yesterday and Thursday. Only difference is tightness in the chest so thought it was a chest infection.

Started this omad diet 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 IsThisAFalseReading

Hi

I'm freaking out here, I did a Saliva test this morning, I got a faint T line on it, I did an NHS throat and nasal swab after but it was clear, then did another Saliva test and again it had a faint T line, though it was much fainter then the first test.

I have done 4 or five of these since 22nd December and I did not see the faint T line on any test before today.

This is the Saliva brand HYGISUN Covid-19 Antigen Saliva/Spit Rapid Test

Test Pictures:

1st Pic - Second Saliva Test Very faint T line

2nd Pic - All 3 tests, left hand side is first Saliva with Faint T, center is NHS with just C and Right is second Saliva

3rd Pic - Both Saliva tests left is first Saliva with Faint T, Right is second Saliva fainter T

Is this a Positive result or false?

Thanks

I tried Boots and they will not do a test if there are any symptoms .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

I travelled back to Spain from Ireland last Wed. I went for a swim on Thurs morning but could not work out why I was so fatigued during it. I had to stop after every four lengths or so (I typically would swim 1km without stopping). Anyway, that afternoon I began to feel extremely tired and decided to go to bed for an hour or so. I still woke up completely drained. Add to that a bout of the chills and a desperately sore throat. It was a huge struggle to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. For the rest of that day, I was in an awful heap - my energy was completely wiped out.

I dragged myself out of bed on Fri morning to go and get some antigen tests. The first test came back negative. The rest of the day was a struggle. I had the heating cranked up to the max even though it was over 20 degrees outside. Slept in fits and starts on NYE. But the worst definitely came yesterday morning/afternoon. I was completely floored. Apart from the symptoms mentioned above, I also began panting extremely hard. I went back to bed but woke up in a ball of sweat in the afternoon. I did a test and it was no surprise that it came back positive.

I am definitely a bit better today. The hard breathing and chills have gone. I have some energy. The sore throat is still at me but hopefully that will go in the next few days too.

I had one night out at home over Christmas with my buddies who have all received boosters. None of them have reported symptoms/tested positive. Thankfully, my parents (fully vaccinated) are not reporting any issues too.

I am vaccinated but have not received my booster yet (my age group has not been called here yet). I received my second jab on July 5 so it will be 6 months next Wed. Maybe my waning immunity is why I was hit so hard...

I would consider myself pretty fit (lots of running, swimming, cycling) and I eat a pretty healthy diet. But this damn thing has given me a serious rattle. It has knocked me sideways.

My two cents, ignore the virus at your peril. If you are due a booster, get it asap. If it was Omicron that I caught, then I certainly would not consider it mild...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

So happy New years to me with a postive antigen yesterday morning. great way to start the year. was very dizzy yesterday morning and was sick as a result. fairly wrecked yesterday with bad headache and achy all over but def in better form today. hubbie had "Rhona" (as he likes to call it) 2 weeks ago and now ive been gifted with it. im finding it crazy how it's absoultly impossible to get an apt for a PCR test in this country at the min. rang d doc and they said i should get an apt txt either today or tomorrow as there is no way im fit to be staying up till midnight to try get one online. found out this morning also that my bro tested positive. so least we can keep each other sane when needed i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ffs I'm a close contact (non household)

Got my booster on the 23rd Dec, have no symptoms

So 5 days isolation with Antigen test every 2 days ?

The government are set to cut the isolation period following the USA.

I don't understand. A poster here was still positive on the antigen test 9 days into isolation. Surely this is just bringing back sick people into work and passing on whatever infection they have to others.

Yes.

The Hse will send you a text if your friend had a positive pcr and fills out their close contacts online the text allows you to claim enhanced illness benefit

If they do as the US did there is a requirement for negative antigens two days in a row I think?

Just been told by a Doctor to go online from 1am to 2am and I will be able to book a PCR test for tomorrow somewhere in Ireland .Must be a glitch in the sortware ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement