Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Cycling Goals.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Royal canal is a much nicer cycle imho if you are looking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Highlights of 2021:

1. Hit my target of 10,000km
    2. Did my longest spin (216km @ 31kmh average!!)
    3. Did my fastest spin (90km @ 34kmh average)
    4. Rode minimum 40km a day for 60 days, starting Paddy's day
    5. Finally joined a club - which I wish I'd done years ago now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just calculated that my average speed on my rides last year was 28.2km/h - which i'm fairly happy with. average ride distance was 46km, which was obviously affected by lockdown, with an average climb per ride of 342m.

i wouldn't get close to an average of 34km/h on anything but a couple of the shorter rides which were A to B with a tailwind!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i wouldn't get close to an average of 34km/h on anything

I reckon you need a new bike to be sure!

To be honest, the long spin we were blessed with a tailwind and a flat route with a decent group. The fastest spin was a sportive in Monaghan where a few of us managed to hold onto the faster local lads for as long as possible and get pulled along. I remember a clubmate and me being pleased to be on the front briefly to get a rest from the pace they were setting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i do all my cycles solo, which obviously will have an effect on speed - the one i was happiest with was a 112km spin, a loop, at an average of 30.5km/h IIRC. when i got home, i had an hour's kip and then drove to west cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Thats a serious average over a distance of 216 kms. Some achievement 👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

My 2021 goal was quite simply to exceed 2020'stotal of 6,550km or so. I finished on 6, 783km, would've broken the 7,000km total if I had gone out more than 3 times in Jan, anyway hey ho!

The highlight was several spins around Port de Pollensa in Sept, hopefully to be repeated later this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also do 90% of my cycling solo and much slower than most here. Highlight for me was 120k with 1.6k of climbing at a leisurely 22kph. Also some lovely gravel spins including the Inchavore trail and the banks of Lough Dan. Exploring new places, especially off road, is probably when I enjoy cycling the most so hope to do a bit more of that this year.

i didn't quite finish my goal of having covered every single non-urban and non-suburban road in north county dublin (not all done in 2021 though!). i could only laugh when i got home from heading out to grab some of the ones i had left to do north of balbriggan and realised i'd missed the old main road just as it crosses the border into meath.

• Advertisement

As I already mentioned, the planets aligned that day. It was probably my best day on a bike (also had new wheels to add to the joy)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No, none of that happened. Did get out of the state once to cycle, for Lap the Lough! Youngest's confirmation rearranged for the same day as the Lakelander!

Didn't open race as moved job and organisation and bottled the consequences. I did the club race league though and really enjoyed it. Renewed the A3 licence for this year, and I think I'm in the IVCA (got the request to pay, and I have paid anyway!).

Only one Audax done, the cill mhantain 200 permanent, just before restrictions lifted. The club also did a Wicklow 200, which I did with that fast lads and averaged over 27kph. Did a few other long ones, just for the sake of it when the whether was good, plus (the sadly departed) Grass Routes Gran Fondo and Reservoir Dog.

Haven't been arsed to look up my outside km's - the headline figure messed up by Zwift kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

2021 Highlights

10,000KM +

Longest Spin 247KM

Average Speed 36km/hr

Posted rides in 5 different countries

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Average Speed 36km/hr

For the year or for the 247lm spin? Either way it's very impressive!

Advertisement