Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish language gets full EU status today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I can somewhat see your point (not this post particularly but some of the others earlier about Irish language signage issues + divisions in NI). However, I honestly thought it would have been better for NI if there was a Language act or whatever in place by now to cover Irish modelled on UKs other non English regions (so yes, that would include signage in multiple languages -> Irish appearing on official signs). Those acts are in place in Wales and Scotland for almost a generation now. Once in place + there's some legal framework in there around official use of Irish or Ullans etc. it seems to me it helps take it off the table as a game-piece somewhat (maybe that is naive of me?).

I don't follow ins and outs of NI, but from what I know of this issue, something like this was promised as part of the NI peace & devolution talks down the years since the 90s but has always been obstructed strongly by Unionist politicians. So there's a huge sunk cost to giving in to it now for them.

(some speculation follows)

Even under this very anti-devolution "muscular Unionism" Conservative UK govt. that has been cozy with the DUP in recent past it could still be taken out of local hands at some point in future if they will it given supremacy of Westminister, and NI will just be brought more in line with rest of the modern UK regardless.

I judge they (this UK govt.) are extremely worried by a national fragmentation and are I think hoping to bring the UK together + reduce differences in governance across it. So similar to abortion rights issues etc, they may well see NI and what Unionist politicians want there (status quo on Irish in NI) as the outlier causing more disharmony inside the UK rather than trying to pick some new fights in Scotland and Wales over rowing back on rights Gaelic and Welsh have acquired.

If something like that passed and local govt. puts it on the official govt. signs and the like, on roads, in public buildings etc. possibly with Ulster Scots how is that "supremacy"?

I would agree with you that people trying to use Irish in NI to mark cultural space or exclude others could be a problem for NI. I really don't know what to do about that...very hard to stop people trying to mark "their" territory and warn others off whether any Language act comes in or no. It is just a symptom, keeping Irish off the official signs won't help and I don't see how govt. putting the Irish language on their official signs is somehow endorsing or encouraging such a negative use of Irish to exclude others or having Irish as a "supreme" language. That will remain English on the whole island, whatever happens with Irish on official signs in NI.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I’m not completely clear. Are you saying that Dublin was the original English word and then it was changed to Irish ie Dubh Linn? I thought it was other way around as Dublin seems to make no sense in English?

I don’t think it works to compare Scotland, Wales or roi with ni on language. I don’t think language is as politically loaded or controversial in those regions.

I also am pretty sure just from driving through Scotland that dual language signs are restricted to areas that want them (whatever ‘want them’ means - I have no idea of the criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I know plenty who oppose things that i wouldn't call 'hardliners'.

I didn't use the word here...you lied again.

Are you denying that consenus/agreement was reached on this issue ...several times and that Brandon Lewis intends to bring that through parliament?

What you should be saying is 'the consensus unionists welched on...again'. because that is what they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's fair alright (or we wouldn't be having the discussion here I suppose). As others post though (and I said it too) it is "just" a language, or maybe "just" is the wrong word. I don't think it can be reduced to a flag or a slogan or political symbol, or tool of "the Shinners"/IRA etc etc, it's alot bigger than that. The violence is supposed to be done in NI now regardless if some of the gunmen were fond of a cúpla focail or they/political associates saw promoting use of the language as part of a struggle.

As regards specific areas "wanting" the signs, I don't know how it works in Wales or Scotland but I admit that idea may not work out well in NI, given what you've posted. Would be better as some standard for signs set across NI, an all or nothing thing. In terms of increasing usage of the language + supporting it (presume that would be goal of a language act in NI if that happened) I don't expect the signage is the most important aspect.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement

I think that’s 4 times already in this thread you have call me a liar but I am not taking the bait.

of course I am denying consensus was reached on Irish language signage. I have asked you about 4 times to tell us what the agreement is but nothing but ducking and diving from you.

I’ll try again. Explain the agreement around signage?

I agree signage is not the issue. It’s just a symptom of the wider conflict and insecurities on both sides. I guess the stronger community would be the one that said we will park this for the common good but neither community seems ready to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would it be acceptable to you if they passed a law that every single new, or modified, sign had to have both English and Irish language version of the place on it? Then there would be no additional cost (unless a few pennies here and there for extra letters!)

The Irish names are the original names and part of the heritage of a location. Unfortunately this island has had to endure many centuries of its neighbour denigrating and trying to destroy and erase its cultural heritage. It shouldn't be continuing in this day and age (regardless of how it is dressed up)

Following on from my earlier example, what would you seriously think of any Australian politicians who were vehemantly against having "uluhru" on signs and official documentation for Ayers Rock? Would you be saying that it is a pity that the Aboriginal groups were arguing for their (much older) name for the area to be used?

I think we are only tinkering with the symptoms if we do that rather than addressing the cancer of prejudice and lack of respect for each’s culture. I sent an email to a number of politicians here a couple of years ago with what I thought was a fair solution but only unionists responded and not much interest. I’ll post it later if it is still in my sent items.

I would be the first to say put Irish on every sign in ni if there was true reciprocation from republicans, but they would just bank it and move on to their next want.

I really think it is absurd to compare aboriginals to Irish nationalists. What do you think Australians would do if aboriginals had killed 20,000 men, women, children and babies just because they were white and therefore part of the occupation?

It is a bit unfair that you would consider "equality" to be something to be "banked".

I put "equality" in quotes as the Irish names are far far older than the English ones. They were existing before the invaders came in, stole all the resources and tried to obliterate the memory that anything substantial or worthwhile had been there before.

What will we have next? Akrikaaners telling us that it is terrible that black South Africans are going to "bank" being allowed to use their own traditional and historical language names for their own villages again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Gaelic is a very controversal topic in Scotland. The fact that there is Scots language in the lowlands and Gaelic in the highlands makes for interesting reading anytime the language question comes up there. Gaelic is not as warmly received as you might think.

Do you think a point ever comes when we need to stop harking back to who invaded who, etc, etc? It’s very complex and the worlds borders and powers have continually moved and evolved for millennium.

Here you go again, shifting the goalposts.

You made a plea for a 'consensus' to be reached on Irish...you were told 'consensus' (agreement) had been reached several times but Unionists had welched on it and are under threat of the Agreement (New Decade New Approach) being implemented in the HoC.

Dual language signage is already up all over NI downcow without any issue bar a few pockets.

That's what has been said.

That might explain why I don’t have a strong recollection of seeing dual language signs on my visits. I would mainly be on west coast and across to Edinburgh and maybe up as far as Dundee. Would that all be Scots territory?

Which language do you guys have on top on signage in Ireland ? That’s became an issue here?

'Please forget the bad things my side did but remember what themuns did' all on the same thread. A while ago you were ranting about denying rights to everyone because of the people who 'murdered your community' downcow...can you not see the hypocrisy?

Are there any case studies of Unionists who have suffered because of having to look at dual language signs in Fermanagh/Omagh district? They have been up long enough now, surely there is some data on the negative effects?

We have had dual language signage here forever and I am not aware of any studies on the damage they do. I see them used as tourist image all the time and you can even buy replica signage.

I am not sure if that is an attempt to answer the question. I am asking what is the timescale where we need to acknowledge it happened and move on. I think when it happened outside living memory of the masses of the population would be a point worth considering That would mean Dublin/Monaghan bombings, Kingsmill, 911, South African aupartite, Serb atrocities in Kosovo, etc, etc should be considered in decisions, but the battle of Hastings, the Wild West, the plantation, guy faulkes, the battle of the Boyne, the Irish famine, etc can be remembered and celebrated/commiserated but really should not impact decisions today It should be about justice and rights

what do you think would be a reasonable timescale?

Are they up everywhere or are they in selected areas? And if so, what is the criteria used?

This is all I can find on Irish signage in Fermanagh/omagh. Maybe you can update us on the outcome of this as it’s about a year old? I would imagine it’s all sorted and everyone is happy if you aren’t telling us porkies

https://www.fermanaghomagh.com/motion/bilingual-signage/

• Advertisement

How about 'if it is relevant' then it can be mentioned.

Using the conflict/war, (which saw 1000's on both sides die, and was not conducted by ALL Irish people and language enthusiasts) to deny rights is NOT relevant just as denying you rights for what Unionists did in a UI would be wrong too. How about that?

It's not even about invasions downcow. Those were the names of the places. And those names actually meant something. Those names are older and have more legitimacy than the English language phoneticisations that tried to replace them.

Assuming you are from "Down" then even that name is meaningless in English. However the Irish, An Dún, does mean something. It means "the fort". Tír Eoghain means "Eoghan's land" which also has a historical meaning. "Tyrone" means nothing.

Plenty of English towns and places have names which might not be recognisable today but which come from old English (or other languages) words that have since lost their everyday usage. But people would still complain if the history in that name was proposed for erasure. Here is an example of a town in England where people can't even agree on the name http://www.bletchingdon-pc.org.uk/about-bletchingdon/ton-or-don/ . "ton" means a village apparently, whereas "don" means on a hill. People still argue over which is the "correct" name based on what must have been what made sense historically.

Imagine a petition to change the name of "Manchester" to "Persontown" or similar :-)

…..and who would decide if it was relevant? Some on here think a plantation 400 years ago is relevant.

I never said they were 'up everywhere'. With Belfast now putting them up they are 'up all over NI' ...which is what I ACTUALLY did say.

Please stop shifting goalposts.

You want me to do your research?

I asked where there any studies on the damage done to Unionists by the signs already up for years all around the district.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Its something like 14 or 15 years now since the agreement on the ILA. And a few years since the reformation of Stormont on the back of the NDNA which agreed to implement it.

How long more are you looking for?

We are not far apart. This is the point I am making locally. Some republicans seem to think words like down are English and therefore we should have an Irish translation beside it. I didn’t know it was Fort but that’s really interesting. I think we need the English form on signage if we are really interested in informing the public of its history and origin. So I would have dual language sign that had both Down and Fort on it. If you want to spell down in Irish as well then it might be good to also have the Scots also to represent our community. But it all gets a bit rediculous as that’s now 2 Irish forms, one English and one Scots

This was in reference to you r suggestion that no one on Fermanagh has a problem with the signs. I didn’t say they were up everywhere. I honestly don’t know and was just asking you. Don’t be so sensitive. I assume by your answer that they are only up in certain places. WHY?

It's absolutely relevant to a discussion on the restoration of place names in Irish. Same as it would be relevant to restoring the plantation castles around the country.

• Advertisement

According to francie it is all sorted and happening so no one should panic.

how long would I like to wait? - just until there was consensus and respect for all identities - but don’t tell francie

I am very surprised you never thought to ask why your area is called "Down".

An Dún is the correct name. "Down" just comes from ignorant invaders modifying the name phonetically. If you want to also keep the incorrect name alive then that is up to you and the people who live there. It's basically keeping alive a manifestation of the ignorant settlers. But you can't say that the actual, historically correct, name is somehow less valid.

Scots has no legitimacy in your argument. At least no more than Polish or Chinese or any other language.

Tbh counties are a bit irrelevant in our community Certainly nothing like the connection nationalists seem to have I guess it’s a GAA thing. We would be much more connected to our townland

Counties were, ironically enough, British administrative divisions

Another misrepresentation/lie, call it what you want, about my position. I never said it was all sorted, quite the contrary, Unionists have welched on the agreement they made...AGAIN, hence Brandon Lewis having to threaten them.

Make up your mind francie. It’s difficult to follow

• Advertisement

Well that escalated as expected.

There is more behind this than appears and it is wider than just Irish. As is usual for NI, the problem is tribal. Republicans used Irish to mark territory much as unionists do with bonfires. In so doing they created a mental link for unionists between Irish and republicans. The same link is applied to the tricolor, used to mark territory the same as the red hand and union jack do. And other stuff too.

Its an unfortunate state, but when unionists are against Irish signs, its not the Irish as such that they're against, its the symbol of 30 years of terrorism. The sign is more than a language, its seen as an invasion. So arguing that Irish is not political, although logical, will not work. Unionists have let republicans goad them into hating a load of things irrationaly. I dont know how we're all going to get past that though. If I did I would be a lot more important.

7 pages later, we have now got to the point where (I think) francie is accepting we have still a distance to travel to get to consensus on this.

is there a way to encourage unionists to see that many people love and want to develop Irish for very reasonable and admirable reasons. Is there a way for these people to capture the ground from the jailgacht and Tiochaidh Ár Lá types?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Waiting with bated breath to be baited by DC on his new website BoardsNI? You'll be waiting a while.

Not your ornery onager

Yes...Brandon Lewis will do it soon. He will implement the consensus reached several times and after some more Never Never Never from Unionists equality and normality will stop feeling like oppression to them, and we will carry on.

For about the 6th time, will you tell us what he will do. What exactly will this mean for Irish language signage. What did the agree in this consensus. You are starting to sound a bit like jeffry Donaldson. “Sometime soon something will happen”. mmm

• Advertisement

What’s this all about? Give me another clue. Are you also suggesting this is BoardsROI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

To answer your question, with the growth of Sinn Fein south of the border, with the ‘ole fleg waving that will ensue when they come to power, I can see the possibility hardening of attitudes in the north viewing the Irish language and the Irish flag as owned by Sinn Fein. The sad thing is, with a little bit of maturity from the unionists and don’t rise to provocation, it would be seen for what it is, just a language and a flag.

I can’t disagree with you. I think my community (and me) are playing into the hands of SF etc by allowing ourselves to be wound up over the signage. Deep down I know it is only signage and if we embraced it then they would very quickly lose interest in it and move on to something else to agitate

The legislation will be enacted thereby making it difficult for Unionists to stop equality happening. Little by little signage is appearing in more and more places, Belfast Council having been the latest to pass motions on it.

Never Never Never...shure go on ahead. Again. Why Unionism keeps picking hills like equality and rights to die on, defeats me, but there we have it.

Ah, so they gave a lot of support to the language before those "30 years of terrorism"?

At what point during those 30 years did they turn against it? Day 1 or at the end of year 30?

Francie you are rambling. Tell us what this dramatic new legislation will change re signage - whenever it arrives?

Its a good point, yes. But before those 30 years is an awful long time ago, over 50 years now. I wasnt alive so I cant tell you if it was important to people or not. All I can tell you is that the loyalist view of Irish, etc deteriorated by a huge amount during the 30 years.

Where did I say it would change re: signage? The consensus arrived at includes legislation on a whole raft of provisions to support the Irish language.

Dual Language signage is already happening downcow...all over NI.

The '30 years' happened because Irish people never has equality or parity of esteem. Some pockets of resistance want to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement