Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yes it is fair buts its not fair to bring others into for not commenting on the opinion. Comment on a post all you like but don't expect everybody to comment on the post. For all i know eskimohunt agrees with the opinion but you cant say he does just because he hasnt distanced himself from the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Its not a question of whether he agrees with it or not. It’s the fact that he’s consistently referred to sides and tried to drive a wedge between people, and then claims he’s not transphobic and he supports transgender rights and womens rights and all the rest of it, and if he didn’t set himself up for it, then it would be fair to point out that he’s not responsible for anyone else’s comments.

As it stands though, the fact that the only time he remains silent is when someone else makes a shìtty comment echoing his views, is legitimate reason to point out that he’s clearly not on the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Look we wont agree, no poster has to defend any other posters comments. Not admonishing it is not agreeing with it. Some people seem to think you are either all with me or against me on issues, the reality for most people they can agree with aspects on both sides of an argument. Anyway my shift is up here at work so im going to leave it at that. Goodevening.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think this particular poster constantly creates sides and makes a big deal about who agrees with him and who doesnt. Because of the way in which he posts its fair game as far as Im concerned.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They do if like eskimo they’re pretending that they’re not transphobic and they support women’s rights and transgender rights and all the rest of it. With people like that claiming to be on your side, who needs “decent gender critical feminists”… 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That's a bit rich coming from a poster who is constantly saying, "what about that poster's comments on deviants?", in a thread about the Rose of Tralee.

But hypocrisy is hypocrisy, I guess.

You haven't addressed any core arguments against your position on the Rose of Tralee, including mine.

Quite literally the leading proponent of whataboutery on this thread.

And, as I've said before, this whataboutery and deflection is precisely because you have no argument whatsoever against the position that biological males, irrespective of what they identify as, should not compete in a women's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

And you have no argument whatsoever to exclude transwomen from the Rose of Tralee. No matter how much bold you use.

'you have no argument whatsoever against the position that biological males, irrespective of what they identify as, should not compete in a women's competition'

But you have no argument for this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course it does, or do you think you can would have achieved the same had you been born in a remote area in the Middle East or Africa?

• Advertisement

In a thread which, as you point out yourself, is about the Rose of Tralee, you claim other people are engaging in whataboutery because they won’t entertain your nonsense which has nothing whatsoever to do with the criteria which the committee have decided are relevant as to who is entitled to participate in the competition.

Their decision has nothing to do with biology. What justification for their decision is needed? Just because you say they should abide by the criteria which suit you, doesn’t mean that they actually have to give a shiny shìte what you think, let alone defend or justify their decision to change the rules to make the competition more inclusive by permitting married women to compete (and they’re still not discriminating against unmarried women!).

It was always the case that anyone who identifies as female was welcome to enter, and according to the festival organisers they didn’t state it strongly enough in the past, but now wanted to confirm it, as well as the actual rule changes which they introduced this year relating to eligibility for married women and women who are 29, a whole increase of a year on the previous eligibility criteria, woop woop! 🙌😂

It’s only 13 years since they changed the eligibility criteria to permit unmarried mothers to participate -

Baby steps eskimo, baby steps 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I was born in Holy Catholic Ireland of the Madgelene Laundaries nearly 60 years ago.

We made our own luck thank you very much.

Now, this is off topic so if you don't mind I'll leave this particular tangent there.

This thread is about the participation of transgender women in the Rose of Tralee in the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well congratulations on your amazing achievements then. It is good to see that the biggest battle in history has been fought and that the world will be a better place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Wow! I have been off Boards for quite a while and had forgotten how strongly people argued about things.

The way I see it is this. A small committee in a small town in a small country run a pageant competition which gets a bit of interest and makes a few bob for the community. That committee sets the rules for their competition and people can accept them or bugger off. It really doesn't matter what I believe in this instance. It is what it is.

I do have a problem with transgender women competing in a sporting competition with biological women though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What’s happening and what has been happening for some time now is that as more and more people are unwilling to conform to other peoples expectations, it’s putting some peoples noses out of joint. This isn’t exactly “does a bear shìt in the woods?” stuff. These people have always existed, but it’s simply a fact that most people in society don’t care to see much further than the end of their own noses - their reality is simply what they’ve grown up with, and their version of normal is what they imagine is shared by everyone else. Anything which causes them to question that is an affront to what they like to call “objective reality”, which is nothing more than what reality looks like from their perspective. Even down to the idea that you think you can pick people out by the way they dress. The way someone dresses is never a good indicator of their innermost thoughts. Obviously they couldn’t exist if no-one existed, the point of that surely speaks for itself? They do exist though, and they exist independently of whether or not anyone else does or doesn’t exist. You would need to be fairly egocentric to imagine that other people couldn’t exist if you didn’t exist. I don’t imagine for example that people in Africa don’t exist simply because I can’t see them.

It was obviously a hypothetical thought experiment I was proposing. It's what I think of as the Tarzan desert island thought experiment where it comes to one's inner identity'. Does one's 'identity' depend on other's around you viewing you as whatever identity you hold, because if not it's hardly much of an identity. That you can't be x identity unless there are people around you to validate it, or not as the case may be. A concrete example is how could you be a drag queen on a dessert island. What would be the point when there is no one to observe you as a drag queen. Would you be a drag queen at all if you were somehow dropped off on a dessert island from birth. What I'm getting at is some identities are superficial and wouldn't/couldn't exist in isolation. In contrast to a man or a woman on a dessert island from birth which doesn't depend on others to validate them.

It’s not just “people on the left” in any case, but it’s not surprising that you don’t see any correlation between your own prejudices, and WHY people campaign for equal rights and equal treatment of others - precisely because of your own attempts to denigrate people you find objectionable as having psychosexual disorders and all the rest of it. There’s no escaping the fact that such an identification of other people as being disordered in some way is based upon your own moral standards of what is or isn’t normal, or acceptable to you personally. Thankfully, you’re not actually so lacking in self-awareness that you don’t see how you speak of other people now, is exactly the same way you were once spoken of (and still are, if we’re to be completely honest!). The same cannot be said of Eskimo whom I truly don’t believe possesses the same self-awareness as you do.

Well I thinks that's a bit mean. Firstly you said I find the people I spoke about as 'objectionable' when I was at pains to say I didn't per se have a problem with them, did I not. I don't find them objectionable, there.

And it follows that neither did I denigrate anyone. To state one has a psyso-sexual disorder is just a statement of fact - unless you are saying there is no such thing? Neither did I imply that ones with a PS-disorder is of any real societal concern, that we have to somehow get rid of them or something like that. And this goes to the few posters who responded to my last post - I did not say trans people have PS-disorders. All I said was there has to be a sexual dimension to gender identity. The two are intrinsically linked is all I'm suggesting. Gender Identity doesn't mean much to me if it doesn't have a strong sexual component, otherwise it's just absurdly trivia a think like the colour of one's eyes. I don't think that's a wild proposal or an insulting one either. It was just a though I had and had no malice in it whatsoever. And thanks to a number of posters who allured to that in their follow up.

What I might agree with is the word 'disorder' is a bit insensitive, I could have said 'condition' instead, but even if I did I think the responses would be much the same.

Anything, can be considered an identity or a classification in exactly the same way as man or woman are considered identities or classifications. 

Nope, don't agree with that at all. Man Woman identities are completely above what one identifies as. So if an alien ship visited our planet and they had no sex themselves, observationally they would classify us as either male or female and wouldn't probe our minds to find out what our identities are. Psychological identities are a different thing altogether, on a lower level.

As for your comment related to giving off sexual vibes..

Of course everyone does. They can't help it whether they intend to or not. Gay men do dress gay, it's a sign. Mannerisms and gay fashion give off sexual interest vibes. One's gaydar works on that basis. Everything about fashion and outward looks is fundamentally based on human sexuality. That is why men and woman dress differently since ever. It's all fundamentally based on sexuality.

Would you just accept it if you were being denied being treated as equal to someone else for reasons which from your perspective are unjustifiable? Some people do, for the sake of a quiet life, and some people don’t. It’s really not as difficult to understand as you make out if you actually really thought about it and put yourself in someone else’s position in order to attempt to understand their perspective.

Jack, the problem with this is that Gender Ideology is a lot more than about equal rights. How one views someone can't be controlled by 'rights'. So yes, my mind on this issue is not focused primarily on equal rights as your always is. Never had a problem with your angle at all, you always make excellent arguments regarding discrimination. I can't singularly look at this issue from a rights point of view as the deciding factor. Maybe you're totally right though to look at it that way, idk, but there are implications for viewing gender as fluid, which was never a thing (as it is today) , so I'm going to continue to make my remarks as I always have as I'm sure you will too.

I don't know how you accuse me of not engaging. I have engaged, and had to listen to arguments about how trans people were pivotal to the gay rights movement and as it turns out that claim turns out to be complete nonsense. I've show that, which wasn't hard, and wouldn't have been able to do so if I didn't engage in these threads. On that point as further evidence, how can one claim on the one hand transgender people are responsible for the gay rights movement and at the same time claim they won't come on here on an anonymous discussion forum. Does that make any sense? No, because it's complete bs an argument.

What I have shown is that I have thought in dept about this issue, contrary your accusation I'm being intransigent on it, but because I don't conform to your options on it, you write me off.

As for your latter comments related to LGB Alliance , since the beginning my thoughts on this have always been my own. I don't get my opinions on this subject from other entities but from my own life experiences and my critical facualites. I am not in any way connected with JK Rowling, LBG Alliance, Linehan or anyone else. They don't represent me and I don't represent them.

The whole 'transgender murders' thing has been proven to be a lie, or at least presented dishonestly.

The people who are murdered are transsexual (men) who live on a prostitute scene and are murdered because they dress as sexy woman but are then murdered by heterosexual men when they discover the woman they tried to pull was actually a man. Obviously that's not an excuse.

If you watch the Martha P Johnson documentary, you will see a real case court case of that, where a man is sent down because he murdered a transsexual (man) for that reason.

And that is a why I bring up the issues of transsexualism and transvestism, because is sheds more light on exactly what is going on, to counteract this claim that transgender people are being indiscriminately murdered simply because they are transgender. Those people who are being murdered aren't even transgender in the first place, they're transsexuals. And those people have psyco-sexual conditions that gets them in the predicament they find themselves in sometimes. They want to live an existence where they are of sexual attractiveness to heterosexual men, but I think that is just all sexual fantasy. You can't expect heterosexual men to regard transsexual (men) as woman sexually. But Gender Ideologists DO! And that is why I said to Jack that this issue is more than just about equal rights.

Of which you have singularly failed to defend.

Most people have never met a transgender, transexual, crossdresser and whatever other distinction there is in their life, and probably won't either. And they may not be concerned enough to look into it. Some here seem to be getting a bit catty because not everyone is up to speed on the current definitions or even the science. And even if they looked into it they may not be convinced anyway.

For example i remember people being berated for not understanding and accepting without question the likes of the Israeli Eurovision winner with the beard. Even now i don't know what exactly he, she, they, them is. Beyond a human being of course. I'll probably even be scolded for the words i used.

• Advertisement

The Israeli winner (Dana International) didn't have a beard. The Austrian winner from 17 years later (Conchita Wurst) did.

Conchita is a drag act, real name Thomas Neuwirth. Dana was legally male when winning Eurovision, but transitioned subsequently, and her name is Sharon Cohen.

P.S. does Conchita Wurst look just a bit like Jesus?

Oh dear, you might need to start a whole new thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

"Phucking" hell.

Did you see her when she won? I thought she was stunning. Didn't realise she was still legally male at the time. Who says transgender women can't be attractive to straight men?

• Advertisement

...because they won’t entertain your nonsense which has nothing whatsoever to do with the criteria which the committee have decided are relevant as to who is entitled to participate in the competition.

This.

This quote is the most relevant part of what you've said, not because it's good (just to confirm: it isn't) but because it effectively argues that "rules are rules, they've been decided, now shut up". It's a complete and abject surrender to independently think critically about an issue, as another beloved "committee" has done all the thinking we need to do.

As I have argued earlier, people can suspend their critical faculties in favour of a social or political cause, as it their right.

Just don't expect the rest of us to shut up and go away when we believe that rules, such as this, are counterproductive and, in the long-term, damaging to women's rights.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement