Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options
  • 26-12-2021 2:23pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's gonna be the GME or AMC of the year? Money to be made still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If you missed the wild initial pumps, you'd have slowly lost money with GME and AMC this year. I never owned it myself, but I think someone like Nvidia was the real winner of 2021. No idea who that'll be in 2022 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Restoration Hardware (RH) and Floor and Decor (FND) are interesting ones to me. Both owned by Berkshire. Ship may have sailed price wise, but they are an interesting choice nonetheless.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Steris PLC

NYSE: STE

I am not great on financials. Not bad on bigger pictures though.

Through companies I deal with, i know that the technologies they use and continue to develop are very difficult to compete with, growing constantly and here to stay. Their client base is here to stay and if anything increase.

Personally, I have been pumping steadily in to them for 5 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Going to pick Baselode, $FIND. Uranium explorer working near the Athabasca Basin in Canada.

This is completely a play on their CEO and his track record. It's a binary thing though, they'll either rocket or peter out depending on results in a bouyant energy metals market.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Banking sector looks like it will have another stellar year and with interest rates now set to start rising again over the next 2 years they will be even more profitable.

Bank of Ireland looks like it will breakout of its current price range once the Government have fully sold out, it's still 10 -12 weeks away yet but the shackles are off at that stage and we should be looking at the start of a share buy back too

AIB is a no no as the Government has indicated that it is to commence selling 71% of the Bank back onto the market so this is a huge downward pressure on the share price, far more than BOI had to endure.

Some Euro banks of interest would be Dutch ABN Amro (ABNRY), Santander (SAN), Erste Bank (EBKDY).

For some UK exposure Lloyds (LYG

Outside of banking I'm buying into the BAT (Baidu, Alibaba and Tencent) at current prices they look like a steal

Post edited by RaggyDays on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm still liking the shippers.

Maersk

ZIM.

Eagle Bulk Shipping.

Can see them continue to do well for a little while more.

But prob first to fall back if consumer demand starts to wane.

Oh. Forgot about Pantheon Resources, $PANR.

So for my picks:

PANR

FIND

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Maybe a bit of a gamble, but I love Alibaba at price.

I also have Positions in Coinbase, Nio, PayPal, Square. I might add Stripe if they IPO this year.

I think Crypto will outperform stocks this year so I'm allocating a big % of my portfolio to it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Mywifetoldme

Petroneft.

Up 600% last year.

Had lots of them since 2007, doubled up last year.

New people in charge seem to know what they are doing, but I have said that before.

All the best for 22

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Is that Motley Fool stock advisor worth it? Think it is $99 a year, looks like they pick 2 stocks a month.

Anybody used it before? Going to invest a few hundred each month into shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 peacock20

I use MywallStreet, Irish found, same sort of thing, think Motley Fool founders are seen as a hero of sorts to them. Similar price, but regular discounted price. I like them, if only for the snapshots of companies, saves me digging around. They also give 2 picks a month, one at the beginning of month, and one mid month-ish. All transparent, podcast every Friday.

Check them out maybe, buy Irish etc

Thanks for your reply.

Any links to the performance for previous years of their monthly stock selections?

The Motley Fool are also a hedge fund. I'd be extraordinarily wary of signing up to anything with such a very clear interest in driving buying or selling in a particular direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Rain in Summer

I have been a paying subscriber to Motley Fool for two years.perhaps, twice did I see a sell suggestion from them.

Regards

Cheers.

Their articles are all I'm going on in fairness. They either seem to be pumping individual stocks or trash talking them.

Click in on some of these and you'll see what I mean.

Is their paid service not recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

apple, microsoft and google all cash cows low debt, US financials BOA my choice

How have you found them rugbyman and their monthly recommendations?

Feel free to PM if you dont want to discuss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another I like is Wallenius Wilhelmsen, they primarily ship new cars around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jeez, Tesla up 10% today. Apple up 2.5%. This madness can't keep going.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I just picked up more nio at 28.. If they keep doing what they're doing...I know it's old news but they have to be a good bet

I have found Motley Fool quite good. I have invested around 1000 euro in perhaps 20 shares. They have been up and down since. I had set some rules, out of my head, like to sell when up 1000 euro or dollars. Then greed set in.

I sold enough to get back my initial stake in three cases. This was not so good an idea as they improved more.

I cannot check out right now whether I am up or down, probably up.(as I am using my phone)

M. Fool go to great lengths to say I should stay in for five years.

Of the ones doing best are Altassian, Nvidia(++) Upstart,Ford(M.F.?)

I will do a tot up later

Quick tot up, am up 2000 ish, having invested 35 k ish. Was higher. Several of recent fallers are still recommended e.g. Teladoc. Am reluctant to buy more, no idea why.Nvidia big winner. Stock prices rose 20/21 ,maybe anyone could pick winners.

On balance ,am happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Would have to agree, a great time to start a position in Nio IMO. I’ve been picking up more Nio shares the last few weeks. Also; worth looking at $STEM. I’m building a position in this one. It’s essentially a smart energy storage company and it uses AI to allow customers to optimise enrage usage. It’s one of the better DeSpac’s. It has a lot of Fortune 500 clients already and this is going to be a massive industry in the next 5-10 years. Also at a good entry price now as it was hammered in Q4 in 21 like a lot of growth Companies.

Thanks.

I signed up there, for the year. I think I can cancel within 30days. Was 99usd for the year.

Taking the 24 stocks they recommended in 2021 at the advised price and investing 1000 dollars in each recommendation and checking the closing price at 31st Dec 2021,the performance would be a negative -8.2% for the year. Now, as you mentioned they mention holding for 5 years etc.

I may look to see how did their 2020 picks do to the year ended 2020 & 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Not great, in a year the S&P was up 26%. It's the boring choice but often the best. Mind you, they probably beat it in 2020, think the S&P was up around 18%(?), but tech stocks did great that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Hi folks,

I want to invest in the SP500 on Degiro. When I enter the code I get online, I get a number of different options to choose from. My question, which is the "correct one", so to speak?

Many thanks and best of luck to all for the year ahead.

Novice but doing well here. Some thoughts if that is ok?

I think your strategy ( and possibly low level of investment vs qty of stocks taking in to account trade cost and spreads) is flawed.

You mention setting a gain $ and then selling. You should be setting % limits.

Then you say some of them kept on climbing and you regretted sale?

Believe me, I know bias. However, some years back I bought and sold Tesla, with a small gain around the 250 region. No regrets, as I was biting at 5% gains at the time.

Set yourself same % rules on prices falling. That is a harder one. Bias stops us from selling and they keep falling. We may make bigger losses. We then start making risky decisions and breaking our own rules, on other stocks to try recoup those losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Advertisement