Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a man and a woman stay mates if they dated once?

• 02-01-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Edited this as I feel I've said too much (just in case, this is a tiny country!).

Basically dated someone for 6ish weeks, we continue to talk daily 2 months after I called it off. It isn't flirtatious but a few of my mates are worried I'm leading him on, even if we only slipped up ONCE (while drunk and only a week or so after the split) and are both openly discussing who we fancy/ are chatting to. I've given him girl advice and vice versa. We're basically best friends.

To clarify, this is NOT about either lads I've mentioned in my 2 other posts. My love life (or lack thereof) had been interesting these last few months to put it mildly.

Post edited by fishersham on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

There’s no black and white answers for this.

It usually only works where there was no feelings involved and nobody got hurt when it ended.

I think him saying he would t trust himself if you cuddled proved he does fancy you and it’s not platonic. I think it was a little leading on of you to say that to him, but he sounds wise enough to say no so maybe you can be friends. I’d suspect he’s hoping for more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Man and man without dating or knowing their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Generally as a rule, if one person has been inside the other person, it would be very difficult to maintain a platonic relationship after that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course it’s possible if both people are in the same place.But you aren’t, even after multiple threads on the same topic.

So what magic solution or answer are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not if he was doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't think so, in an ideal world you would but in a way it betrays the relationships and the memories that were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is this the same guy who you caught feelings for very quickly and who ignored you when you got Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fishersham

No, that was another fella. I've been ignoring that one since then. We only hung out like 5/6 times. My friend is an actual sweetheart and was always checking up on me while I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Sounds like you are both in pre-school, so best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I’d suspect he’s hoping for more though.

Yeah I reckon he's positioining her for FWB services, should he require them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am managing to stay friends with a few girlies I was with before. It helps if the relationship didn't end in a terrible manner

Only if they are adults.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say yes but why would you want to? It cannot go anywhere good and will just cause hassle in future relationships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think the future relationships are the hassle. I won't go out with some insecure wan again who tries to end my pre-existing friendships. I never gave any girl grief over who she was friends with and expect the same in return

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

All depends if they ejaculated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

Absolutely, I'm friends with all of my exes, some of whom I was with for many years. You just need to be respectful and obviously helps if you didn't have dramatic break up.

In terms of someone you were seeing a short time, I almost think it's harder because the friendship side of it wasnt fully developed.

Once you dont slip up again and you've both been very clear you dont want anything romantic its easily enough done. If one side is still harbouring feelings it's very difficult.

Edit: Also my current partners have always gotten on well with previous ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

6 weeks is only a bit of an ould fling so yeah of course you can still be friends with the person .

As long as both of ye know it's friendzone then all should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you broke up because one didn't fancy the other you're screwed.

If you broke up because you both fancied each other but just didn't get on you're screwed.

If neither of the above then maybe, but i doubt that's ever the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fishersham

That's honestly class. I'm not sure I know anyone capable of that.

I'm not mates with my other 2 exes but in fairness the first one broke my heart (it only lasted 3/4 months but I was 17 and hormonal). Nice fella and we'd stop for a chat in the pub or on the supermarket but otherwise...

Second fella I was with for nearly 3 years and I avoid him at all costs. I was the one who wanted out. Very toxic together.

This one on the other hand, is a sweetheart and we honestly felt more like mates than a couple from the get go. He has said the same of me. The spark just isn't there on either side. Maybe the fact it was barely a relationship helps?

• Advertisement

This is, my view and experience.

I think the only way it can work is if you were friends first, then got together, then mutually realised there's no chemistry, laugh it off and go back to being friends. That's rare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I'm good friends with, and have even been invited to the weddings of people whom I had previously been... erm... inside. Mature adults are generally capable of platonic relationships.

Advertisement