Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putter grips

Options
  • 03-04-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 putters, a fairly big toe hung scotty Cameron and a face balanced 2- ball.

I've been playing the scotty for a while with a skinny pistole grip, the 2-ball has a fat super stroke on it.

Want to know has anyone put a fat grip on a toe hung putter and had success, they all seem to be on mallets/face balanced putters.
    cant find much abt it online tbh

Comments

Hi,

I have 2 putters, a fairly big toe hung scotty Cameron and a face balanced 2- ball.

I've been playing the scotty for a while with a skinny pistole grip, the 2-ball has a fat super stroke on it.

Want to know has anyone put a fat grip on a toe hung putter and had success, they all seem to be on mallets/face balanced putters.
    cant find much abt it online tbh

Spieth had a fat grip on his scotty during his best putting days.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

You need to be careful as the weight of a thick Superstroke grip can be a lot lighter than a scotty grip and if you don't compensate for that difference with the weights in the putter head or grip you can knock out the balance of the putter or make the head feel heavier. I have used several superstroke grips on scotty putters and suggest you have a look at their Pistol GT grip with a rib down the bottom that helps keeping finger placement consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I have changed grips on putters and hated they afterwards.
    You need to get the same weight grip to keep the feel as close to it was as possible.

Golfwrx is always a good place for this type of technical stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I put a Superstoke 1.0 onto my old Ping Zing 2 and loved it so much I sold my much newer Cleveland Smart Square putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

FYI. Scotty grips
    Pistolini grip is 78g,
    Pistolero is 83g,
    Matador mid 89g.

Superstroke grips
    Slim 3.0 is 63g,
    traxion 3.0 is 65g.
    mid slim 2.0 is 50g.
    Pistol GT 2.0 is 56g.
    Pistol GT 1.0 is 82g.

I think these are pretty accurate but worth checking. Check out Superstroke USA website for specs. The heavier grips I think are made from rubber while the lighter ones are made from a type of foam with a resulting difference in feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

You may like the feel of a much lighter grip weight.. I detest the feel of a weighted butt...

But I'm pretty sure the superstroke foam grips are only meant for balanced putters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 halenajulie42

I went Fatso first but felt too big after a few rounds. Tried same grip in mid and LOVE it. Definately better control and feel. Don't grip it like a regular club. Check out some of the suggested grips and decide which you're most comfortable with. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Why are superstroke foam grips only for balanced putters? What do you mean by balanced putters?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have a superstroke on my Scotty Cameron Newport 2. Found the original grip too thin. As much as it's seemingly sacrilige, I love my superstroke grip on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Actually looking to regrip my own putter at the moment. Do mcguirks fit them on premises by any chance??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Yes they do, in Leopardstown anyway. If you want it done while you wait, then call ahead and they should give you a time when someone will be available to do it

Advertisement