Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

thats the killer for me.... Chelsea players, pushing, grabbing and pulling... no frees.. When Liverpool got any way physical.. free kick all day long..

City players will be loving it.. they'll be going to ground all day, getting free's....

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Its actually a fair statement, we went into this season being drilled with messages that we have more than adequate squad coverage.

Anyone asking for additions to the squad were mercenary fans who should go and support an oil club.

And it's no knee jerk stuff, I've said this since end of last season. Rivals move with the times and improve, we presume big players will rediscover form from 2 years ago as its a given.

We have been so well conditioned as fans that it's a positive things not to spend money.

These guys FSG sell to buy, problem is we have run out of Jordan Ibe's and Dom Solankes to sell for over the odds to fund summer spending.

100% expect to start seeing some home journos briefed in order to test the waters with fans to see what reaction would be to cashing in on Salah. I've no doubts they would sell him to cover the next round of spending rather than give a 30 year old 400k per week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah...it's their blind luck with their squad that they've come through it which is what I said. What are you arguing against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He really is a man child.

Lukaku- Kane swap imminent

Anyone asking for additions to the squad were mercenary fans who should go and support an oil club.

Said no one ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The reality is City are capable of hitting 90 to mid nineties most seasons, even last season they started poorly and finished on 86 points and if they had been pushed might well have broken 90 as they got a bit sloppy towards the end of the season when the title was in the bag. Unfortunately we are not capable of getting over 90 points anymore, we'll probably finish in mid eighties, which is a good points tally and shows there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the team, but, ourselves and Chelsea over the course of a season are probably about 10 points off City's level.

We haven't really strengthened the squad since winning the league, all the great teams have always strengthened when at the top we didn't really do that and have allowed City to overtake us again and they have the financial resources and more importantly are willing to use it to stay there, for example they are likely to sign someone like Kane or Haaland in the summer. We on the other hand seem reluctant to spend, teams in the bottom half are out spending us. Micheal Edwards gets huge credit for our transfer policy which has certainly reaped rewards up to 2018/19 but, I would say over the last 2 seasons our transfer policy hasn't been great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Our midfield is a huge problem which is exposing vvd who can no longer single handedly repell attacks. He's still good but not world class post injury IMO. Konate looks like he'll be a great player too which is promising. But we need to buy a decent midfielder who isn't made of biscuits during the window.

As much as it pains me to say it ox isn't the player he was, Keita is a great player but too injury prone, Tiago isn't much better on the injury front but is a fantastic player.

The club gambled on the squad and it backfired which seems madness after what happened last season but here we are. We stood still (at best) while others improved.

That we have in some way been shafted by the handling of the virus outbreak in the PL during Christmas. The rules applied to us are the same as every other team.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you mean by “shafted”, this usually means that you are getting screwed over by someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Any team that is going to beat City is going to need to be perfect. City will win this league from now until the owners get bored.

• Advertisement

Let’s see what happens when Pep leaves, also, looking to the future, Newcastle and MU may eventually come through if they spend their resources wisely (no guarantee). But a Salah contract and a couple of top class midfielders should see us back up there soon, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think people over reacting about Henderson i think he is doing close to what he always does vut he doesnt have two lads helping cover for his runs forward,

He used to have Fab & Gini to jeep the base strong and at time has Thaigo and Fab butnomce. One of them is missing midfeild becomes disjointed

Oh Konate was brilliant again

Man City are the only team that benefitted from the PL approach to the outbreak.

When TAA was out of position, Hendo used to drop back into his position. Unfortunately Puliscic’s goal came from the type of situation he used to cover. Not sure if he was on right side of pitch at the time or whether Milner was closest. But I thought Hendo was poor today, never got hold of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Virgil is now operating at a human level, rather the superhuman level he was once at. Unfortunately, the midfield is leaving him to do too much and he's not able to cover the holes.

Ox is fine as a squad player, same with Milner, but asking them to win a game at the top level is too much. The problem is both Naby and Thiago and indeed increasingly Henderson are not robust enough to play game after game, so we're relying more and more on the likes of Ox & Milner. The wages being spent on Milner would surely cover a good midfielder, as the lad says we are where we are but we need to build again and soon.

I too wouldn't be amazed to see Mo sold if a big buyer came in to finance a rebuild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, Liverpool have been really unlucky with the whole COVID stuff, especially compared to other clubs.

Liverpool have had back-to-back weeks of 2 separate COVID outbreaks. Nearly all of the people involved are key first team players, and the manager. None of this training ground stuff. Other clubs have got postponements for less, but that December 20th change seems to now mean that the 14 player rule is actually being enforced. The timing of Liverpool's 2 different outbreaks over the course of 2-3 weeks, and both occuring after the rule change, is just damn annoying. But it is what it is.

As a result, we missed VVD, Fabinho & Thiago against Spurs, along with Hendo through illness, and forced into playing Morton in midfield and tbf he got a bit exposed with the yellow card and got taken out of the game really. Not up to the speed of a high intensity top level PL game yet. Then today, we missed Alisson, Matip & Bobby. The midfield was a bit exposed again - Milner started fine but he tired and his older legs weren't able to keep up. Gave away a tired, lazy free kick which resulted in the opening goal. Fabinho did not look at the races - maybe a lasting affect from COVID? Midfield was poor today, overall. Bobby would have helped midfield a lot today if he was able to play. Jota doesn't do the link up play at all compared to him. Second half especially, it's like Liverpool weren't able to keep the ball. For all his strengths, Ox is not exactly a 'ball keeper' either. And he had to play out of position, as a central attacker, as there are none available.

Some tired legs and, more worryingly, minds out there after the last few weeks. It's like they know that City have the march on and they can't come back to compete or something. Maybe I'm just being negative after the disappointment of drawing while 2-0 up.

They were less affected by it cause they hadn’t any cases that affected their squad. But some teams have suffered more than us. We all know that City have a bigger squad and more quality in reserve, but that existed before this Christmas period and new Covid rules.

The Arsenal game should be intresting we could go full strength with the next game home to Rochdale

Unlucky yes, shafted no. That’s just making excuses for not having a bigger/better squad to pick from. Again, it is worth remembering that 3 players were injured, not out due to Covid. Kelleher played very well and I’m not sure Ali could have done anything about the goals. Jota is not a bad replacement for Bobby, and Konate was brilliant today, so Matip was hardly missed.

Two of Liverpool toughest 3 games remaining where Spurs & Chelsea away and they got hit by Covid d for both, Its jut not going to be our year

2 attackers & 2 midfeilders in the summer and we go again

• Advertisement

Hendo was there but was to busy pointing at Konate to go wide to notice Pulisic run behind him

VVD didn't even bother to try and get over it was strange

Yip, the small movements that used to be routine are not there consistently anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That is what happens when you can add to a very good squad almost a £1b of players. We have masked how much the Premier League have become a one team league. People are kidding themselves if they think the PL is competitive. It is like the Bundesliga, with one team able to buy who they want and outspend the rest and win everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Does anyone know what kind of an injury Origi has or how long he is out for?

TBF, Liverpool are probably only 2-3 players short of being able to compete with MC, and again we are not a poor club. It’s just we didn’t spend when we needed to, not last season, not this season. Having those players would have meant the rebuild of our midfield would not be as extensive as will be needed in the summer to challenge MC next season. I agree with an earlier poster, the CB situation last year, and midfield shortcomings this year have been mismanaged. I just hope that FSG manage the Salah situation better.

If you said the above from the off we could of saved some time. :D I know where coming from at least.

I agree our predicament is mainly due to not investing properly post league win. That goes for both transfer and wage budget.

If you had used “unlucky” instead of “shafted”, and said MC have benefited from having a big squad unaffected by Covid, I would have thanked your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Clarkson's loan at Blackburn is over as he is returning to the club I guess Elliott was a hard act to follow espically with the form Blackburn are now in it would be hard to break into there team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well said.

There is no shame in what we're doing up against a well oiled machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And even then you may not win it.

We were basically as perfect as any team has ever been for two calendar years, and still only won it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is such a simplistic view of things. We lost the game today in centre midfield.

Mo isn't signing is he

Surely you mean only one year, MC were more perfect the other one, that is why they won.

Edit: Sorry missed the calendar year, but a season isn't a calendar year.

You could forgive him for wanting assurances over signings before he commits to what will be his last big contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Clarkson is a Blackburn lad (and fan) too. Disappointing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man U and Chelsea two teams that can afford to in recent years have shown throwing hundreds of millions in tranfers and wages won't be enough to compete with and beat City.

It will be 5 seasons since Chelsea won it at the end of this one and 9 since Man U won it.

Liverpool just cannot mix with that kind of financial power.

FSG are not even in the top 10 richest owners in the Premier League and now when you now there will be two oil rich nations competing in the coming seasons for bragging rights it will be a long time before any other team regularly joins the preimer league winners table.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U might break into it every now and then in the coming years however over the next decade plus it will be The UAE & The Saudi's competeing against each other for Middle East bragging rights.

Then when it comes to Europe those Middle East Countries will eventually get there **** together and The UAE, The Saudi's and Qatar will compete every season for the top throphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I never stated that it was our only issue, I was just merely stating it is one of the many issues for us this season. In another post I pointed to 2 particular games from the title winning season where we scrapped wins against Villa and Leicester, the Leicester game in particular they created havoc in the midfield area and looking like they could create scoring chances every time they turned over possession but VVD was unbelievable that day and sniffed out every counter attack with ease. This season when our midfield is not performing they don't have the same VVD to bail them out like a few years ago. Luckily for us 2or3 season ago the days where our midfield malfunctioned were few and far between but this season it seems to be a lot more frequent issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone not owned by a UAE conglomerate or Russian oil tycoon just cant compete in the future, its just not financially viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City and Chelsea are but hobbies to their owners, while Liverpool is run like a business. This is why the Salah contract is dragging on, and why we aren't going to spend a dime in this Window on the first team. De Bruyne only got a two year extension on his contract, but he got the number he wanted per week. I dunno what Salah is looking for, but I'm sure Liverpool want a short enough deal, and to still have a saleable asset when Salah is 32 in May 2025.

At 32 in May 2025, Salah still has the potential of being sold for the cost of this new contract, but it means giving him a contract until 2027. So i can see why it's hard to agree, FSG want to have something saleable, but not to agree to 500k a week until 2027, as Salah will not move if it's not matched elsewhere,

• Advertisement

C’mon, FSG are not poor. I just don’t get this poor mouth stuff. Yes, we can’t afford to discard a bad signing, but we have one of the best player assessment units in the business, I can’t believe they were not able to identify a couple of good players over the last two years who would have made a difference.

Why?

Utd did it under Fergie. Leicester did it. Liverpool did it.

Just throwing money at a club doesn't work in itself. City are also blessed with Pep. He's relentless. Let's see how the next guy does. Bet it won't be consistent 95 odd points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah, it's not impossible.

It's very difficult, but can be done. Liverpool were near perfect in the years 2018-2020 but just came up against a side that were almost perfect too. Thankfully one compete season fell into those years. A bit of luck with injuries etc and that extends a few months later than that, and it could have been 2 titles who knows.

AC, we are not talking about an outlay like MC/MU/Chelsea to make this team competitive. We have the spine of a super team. We are talking about a couple to quality signings. And it is all the more important because we do not have the resources of the others that we didn’t allow this team to deteriorate.

My concern now, (and I must admit my multiple posts this evening are borne out of frustration watching us give up a lead again) is that FSG will allow the team to make the same mistake United did at the end of AF’s reign, they wrung the last drop out of an ageing team and 10 yrs/£1b later, have not recovered.

I dont buy this we are literally a good attacker and a good CM short,

We COULD have afforded that over the last two seasons we chose not to, No ones askong for 100s of millions,

Maybe Salah is getting what he wants wage wise but not ambition wise., Could u blame Salah if he leaves club has show no ambition in the last few years makes it worse because it wouldnt take much to get us right up there

same old same old, squad is too light as was predicted.... even with Covid, there should have been a few pound spent ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They bought Konate to address a problem position from last season and plan for the future. Midfield was already crowded and they hoped Elliot would feature. Not much could have been done up front unless selling Bobby or Sadio.

I'd have liked a Bowen or Bellingham but the space wasn't there unless selling another mid and no one was interested. For me, Thiago has been a huge problem since joining, taking a slot of a young gun and rarely making the impact we need for games on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

But is it a case that Klopp doesn’t want a big squad ( which is his M. O) or FSG won’t pony up the cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Not implying that we would have spent the money, but wasn't a major issue that we were at the limit of non-homegrown players in the squad and no offers came in for anyone?

I mean Klopp couldn't have done more to try to sell Origi, bless him

We couldn't/wouldn't just release unwanted players, and we couldn't add any players into the squad without offloading. Covid obviously impacted that but I think we also made a rod for our own back by overcelebrating the great deals Michael Edwards did on the likes of Ibe, Solanke, Brewster, I think that scared other teams off from trying to buy from us

Liverpool had the right number of midfielders, but the issues with them was clear. I don’t think anyone expected Keita to remain injury free, Ox really hasn’t been the same player since his injury, though he did show some form recently it has not been enough to be picked over an ageing Milner. Hendo has picked up a few injuries over the last few years, Thiago, though a beauty, hasn’t adapted to the vigours of the PL so far, Jones is still developing. This was all evident before the season started.

I think it was expecting a huge amount to expect Elliot alone to replace Gini in the midfield roster from last season. I accept Gini wanted to go, and I’m not saying FSG should have given him what he wanted, he probably would have needed to be replaced long before the end of his new contract. But the picture is now clearer, our midfield in its current form, even with Elliot was not going to be good enough due to injuries/loss of form, which was predictable because of what had gone before.

I'm sorry but saying the midfield is crowded is crazy.. the dogs on the street knew ahead of the season that Keita, Thiago and ox would miss games due to injury and milner another year old. Plus AFCON coming.. Even with Elliot, another mf should have been bought... too light imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement