Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

At this stage, I personally think that we’ve just got to live with it. The early stages caught the most fragile and most current cases seem to be very mild. No worse than a bad head cold. It’s up to us all what risks we take. Vaccinate, not vaccinated. Go to pub/concert/restaurant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is not being done because it doesn't work, you know this, this has already been explained to you and others multiple times.

you can only protect the vulnerable and the systems of the country by minimizing virus spread.

the vulnerable doing whatever while the rest of us run around the place spreading the virus equals high virus in the community meaning greater risk to those shielding from those assisting them.

it also means a hell of a lot more out of work at a time meaning knock on effects to services.

even with this strain a lot more are out of work isolating because we need to keep the show on the road some bit and having those staff in work means more staff get it meaning less work gets done if some staff end up taking time out because it is a bit severe on them then they expected.

the strategy we took was the only workable one and it has kept the necessary stuff operating and that i am afraid is the priority throughout this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NPHET /HSE wont allow us live with it because it will highlight how bad our health service is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Hahaha! This thread has some golden moments. The IRFU are collaborators is a classic of the genre.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

i haven't lost anything, nor have i called for the government to lock down either as we seem to be able to avoid it now at least for the moment.

actually the minimal restrictions we have are helping, this strain is more transmissible certainly and seems to have less effects then others however the other strains haven't gone away completely it is just that this one is the dominant one.

minimal restrictions slow down the spread meaning we can keep the show on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And that's it in a nutshell and the main reason why the government wouldn't open up fully in the summer. Sure even in the summer I remember someone from the HSE on the radio saying A&E was busy but not with covid but with people out enjoying the outdoors and asked people to be careful.😀 Until the government get the finger out and tackle the healthservice and make it fit for purpose they will be slow to lift restrictions. Even going forward I can see government introducing restrictions in winter once the healthservice get overwhelmed.

I’m only too aware of how faulty our health service is. Changes need be made. Starting with medical card holders (Yes, I’m one). A nominal charge per doctors visit, be it €5 or €10, followed by a charge for A&E (unless referred by doctor) of, say, €25, would focus a lot of minds. I really think that so many are taking the pee. This is from personal observation while an emergency patient a number of years ago.

it is you who is actually in a sense spreading a form of misinformation as you are posting a response that is not actually responding to the post i actually wrote as you are deliberately misinterpreting what was written.

when covid kicked off in itally, the media reported the facts of the situation which were grim but ultimately necessary to show the damage uncontrolled covid does.

other illnesses are not a high spread virus which can crash a country, so things were going to be different given what uncontrolled covid can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

if a strain of flu rips through a hospice, the death certs don’t suggest they died of flu, they died of the terminal cancer or whatever. If the same person dies after testing positive for Covid it’s added to the death cert and included in Covid death numbers. Many coroners in ireland have publicly called BS on NPHET numbers. This post will no doubt be deleted as I am apparently a conspiracy theorist asking for the transparent publication of data.

Covid is more deadly than flu/pneumonia, but it’s not as deadly as NPHET claim.

the ONS in the uk have a useful metric “years of life lost” it’s far more nuanced than nphets “deaths” in this metric they count the years of life lost between the age someone dies at and the life expectancy. A 26yo male dying from Covid looses about 50 years of life. A 94 yo is already well passed their life expectancy, when you get to that age every cold/flu/trip/heart palpitations is a risk.

some people find it crass to suggest anything other than all deaths are equal. But in reality locking down the country, destroying business and employment, failing to deliver education all comes at a cost. Are you really saving lives of 94 year olds? Or are you slightly delaying the inevitable? There has to be a balance found.

to quote the spectator:

isolating schoolchildren within chalk circles may have a negligible epidemiological effect, but a profound psychological one. We’re inculcating chronic fearfulness in our kids, who will skip from the helplessness of infancy to the neurotic hyper-caution of old age with no moon landings in-between.

We’ve prioritised the preservation of life in a literal, short-term sense — possibly losing more lives than we’ve saved, once the collateral damage totals are in — while giving no priority to everything that makes life worth living

We’ve willingly traded prosperity, functionality, joy, good company and the productive futures of upcoming generations for short-term security. That’s a security narrowly defined as well: individual medical security, as opposed to the broader, more long-term security of a sound economy and a thriving community. Hysterical safety-ism is the mark of a society that has passed its peak. The West has subsided to a geriatric phase of high anxiety and low expectations.

• Advertisement

the media in ireland has never pumped out fear because it wouldn't be allowed, they reported cases, hospital deaths etc because it's factual and people are interested.

the great barrington declaration was not only debunked but completely destroyed, pummelled, demolished, chewed up and spat out.

the damage due to lock downs i am afraid would not be anything near the damage due to uncontrolled covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Amazing how completely wrong you manage to be in every single sentence of every single post.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

this is already been done, but we did have to temporarily introduce a few more restrictions while we figure out this varient and how it works, i suspect they will be lifted very soon.

however encouragement of the unvaccinated to get the vaccine and restricting them if they don't is a necessity as they disproportionately take up hospital spaces.

I agree. I admit that I was reluctant to have the vaccine at first, but I needed it to travel to see my (much older) sister in the uk, so bit the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You agree with people being restricted because they didn't get the vaccine?

even if our health service was miles better the approach couldn't change as capacity would still be finite dispite being higher and we would need to prevent it from being taken up by covid only patients.

countries with much better health systems then ours have taken a similar approach, much harsher actually in some cases.

that would bring undue and severe hardship upon vulnerable people who would least likely be able to afford such a heavy charge.

they are on medical cards for a reason.

the balance was found hence the approach we have taken.

the reality is that the hospitals and necessary/essential functions of the country were always going to be prioritised for protection over the likes of hospitality because that is just what had to be done unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Would be a big shame if the 6 nations didn't have full houses. Probably for vaccinated people only I'd guess.

It would be ridiculous to see England in twickenham with a full house then Aviva stadium half full or whatever!

I'd say the Unions are in desperate need of cash.

Bullsh1t. If they had to pay for A&E, they’d think twice about waiting for days after a fall to have possible breaks checked out. Spend any time in A&E and tell me different!

• Advertisement

And don't forget that in the UK anyone who dies of anything within 28 days of a positive covid test is counted as a covid death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The narrative does seem to be slowly changing direction outside of these shores.

And we will see changes elsewhere happening soon. Not here though.

the amount taking the piss on medical cards is likely so tiny that the cost of administering the charge just wouldn't be worth the money and as i said it would bring undue hardship upon vulnerable people.

end of the road, it's wrong to say the media haven't pumped out fear. They have relentlessly pumped out fear. So bad are the Irish media that one former journalist wrote a few years ago that they were the most malevolent entity in the world. And even when they can't find a bad news covid story in Ireland they look around the world to find an obscure place where cases are high and they report on that instead.

If covid is a bad as you say it is then why have so many individuals in positions of authority ignored the rules they have repeatedly told other people to abide by? RTÉ employees having parties, Neil Ferguson meeting his mistress, Matt Hancock having his affair, numerous American politicians doing whatever they want while ordering people to do what they say. Here's the latest: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/12/31/aoc-pictured-maskless-in-miami-beach-as-omicron-cases-soar/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The damage due to lock downs i am afraid would not be anything near the damage due to uncontrolled covid.

Don't be afraid...come on out into the light.......It's lovely out here...😎

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

And don`t forget Sweden, as you well know, has the same 28 day rule, and there excess deaths for 2020 were for all intents and purposes they same as their Covid deaths so I don`t see what point you are making.

the irish media really really does not pump out fear.

politicians break the rules because they think they are above them, other then that you would have to ask each individual as to why they broke the rules as i cannot answer.

don't worry i am not and have never been afraid of covid nor know anyone who is .

but certainly i will take the sensible precautions and follow all guidelines as it is the sensible thing to do and it has served me well so far.

i have been in the light since this started as my work requires it.

We'll have to disagree on the media.

On the people in authority who broke their own rules that they claimed were very important, would you agree with me that they're hypocrites, that they think their own rules are nonsense, and that they don't think covid is anything to worry about? If they did then they wouldn't have repeatedly broken their own rules.

• Advertisement

Funny so that the author of that piece in The Guardian agrees with the Great Barrington Declaration. He said it was unworkable but then agreed with it in the next paragraph. And the author is expert on infectious diseases. He writes:

"the country should have put far more effort into protecting the vulnerable"

That's what the Great Barrington Declaration called for.

Advertisement