Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ousmane Dembele is available on a free, if someone can get him to sign.

I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to jump from a stinking ship

Unfortunately there isn't magic beans, and the owners are trying to run the club as self sufficient.

Overall, a hell of a job they've done too tbh.

I’m not sure another injury plagued player with questionable attitude is the answer.

But there must be a balancing act with squad improvement. Arsenal have tried that since they left Highbury even though their owners are wealthy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Said it over and over and over again at this stage, it is a travesty that a title winning squad was allowed to fester. The more a team is allowed to fester the harder it is to solve the problem.

Keita, Ox, Minamino, Origi etc should all be out the door in the summer and new faces brought in. We need multiple signings at this stage, it's way past last-piece-of-the-jigsaw stage now.

We aren't going to spend big in January so IMO we're going to drop quite a few more points before the end of the season. City will win it by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just watched part one of Anne that was a tough watch

At the moment the 7 points we lead West Ham in 5th place gives us a good cushion, but if United win their 2 games in hand that cushion is only 5. No room for complacency for the rest of the season.

I think we'll do top 4 alright, not stressed about that, but we're far more likely to finish 4th than 1st because of the lack of any depth in our squad.

We are very lucky Salah is never injured, or we'd be goosed.

Arsenal?

Strange comparison. They've not won a league in nearly 20 years and never won big ears.

People need to be realistic about how a business is run. It's not fantasy football.

Same, thankfully I don’t think Utd will overcome their problems to the extent that they will go on a long run. But I do think Arsenal are a maturing team and Spurs will improve under Conte, so a loss of form and a few bad results will give us concern.

• Advertisement

Exactly, they have been run with financial prudence since they built the new stadium and haven’t won anything. If FSG focus too much on being self sufficient, the risk is that we get left behind like Arsenal have.

6, it’s time to look forward, not back to the team of 2-3 years ago, we are not that team anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We need 2 starting midfielders and 2 forwards around 23-25 years old in the summer. Sell Firmino, let mane run down his contract. Ox, milner, keita, origi, minamino all gone. To get that fsg need to pony up a minimum of 150m. Will they do it or are they happy to see the club slide into a battle for 4th every season?

I heard the Arsenal argument before. It's been debunked under Klopp. In fact I can't believe people still reel it off. Tbf, you're the first I've seen mention it in years.

What way do you suggest raising extra funds that the club haven't thought of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

totally agree.. money should have been spent even though we won the league.. it was massive.. well i suppose they spent money on the stadium instead.. maybe in a few years they will spend the though but i'm not sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mané needs offloading. His race is run for us. He isn't getting any younger and has gotten sloppier every game for nearly 2 seasons. He doesn't offer any of the other benefits that Bobby brings either.

Mane was very good today. Gets overly criticised imo.

Again, Liverpool are not a poor club. No one is suggesting we spend on the level of MC/MU, we don’t need to. There are enough quality players there to mean a few additions will do.

How has it been debunked under Klopp? When he came in he/FSG/Edwards identified where improvement was needed and addressed it by signing a top class Keeper/CB/defensive midfielder/striker. None of those were cheap, though Salah looks like a bargain. Are we now saying they couldn’t identify the problems that were obvious from the start of the season and/or no longer willing to spend to augment the squad and keep challenging City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Two choices, go for someone to replace Bobby in the false 9 role and move Jota back to the left with Mane as backup.

Or try for someone like Saka for the LW spot straight out.

I think we play better with Bobby up top but Jota adds more threat there. It's a balancing act but I'd go Bobby/Bobby replacement with Jota left.

Bellingham is the one to go for for midfield. Chaps going to be a superstar and could be the cornerstone of our midfield with Elliot for the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There were very few players in the "very good" category for Liverpool today and Mané certainly wasn't one of them. Bar his goal, he had the touch of a gazelle on ice.

Liverpool are not a poor club? Nobody said they are.

You obviously want the club to spend beyond their means. Explain how, it's your argument.

Also remember that there's a 100m hole from last season due to no gate receipts. Approx one third of revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

VVD feeling the effects of Covid maybe, so tired looking today, very poor performance either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Saka and Bellingham won't be available till sumeer 2023 would be my guess when they are both down to 1 year left on their contracts and that's not taking into account they might sign extenions.

If you were to try this summer it would take at least 200m to get them both if BVB and Arsenal even willing to listen to offers.

Ideally they would the two players to sign for sure.

I'd looking at someone Laverkusen's Schick as center forward if you wanted to move Jota back out to the left.

That is for the money men 6. As a fan, I want a competitive team. Sorry, I’m a bit frustrated this evening after watching that match, there are many players I would like to have if money was no object like City, but I still think that they must have identified good players a tier down from premium level which would be better than what we have. Part of me knows that money will always be an issue and we cannot compete with City/PSG on that front, and certainly do not want to go down the debt road of MU/Barca/RM. Maybe there is a grand plan for the summer, but I am concerned now that unless Salah sees progress in a team which no longer seems capable of challenging City, he will be off. That would be disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Liverpool already spend what they earn. The owners don't pocket any cash from its earnings nor do they put any in. Read the accounts if you want it's all there.

This is the only sustainable and sane way to run a football club. I'm sorry that means we can't keep up with a nation state and a Russian billionaire but them the breaks. FSG are steadily build the club and its revenues to levels where they can hopefully match the likes of Uniteds earning power in years to come. Obviously that's not a quick process but it is what it is. If you want to club to spend beyond its means to try accelerate that process then you want to club to willing risk it's existance to sate your never ending need for new players.

We all want the club to buy the best players and win stuff, but there's only one way our club can do it and they are doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I agree.

I think Jota's better performances tend to come off of the left, but then his goals come from CF so it's hard to criticize there.

I do think we lose a bit in terms of control and possession based build up when Jota starts over Bobby centrally, but Jota has a much bigger goal threat. If only we could combine them! 2017/2018 Bobby! Jota is a pressing machine, and brilliant in the air & getting his shots away but he does offer the same build up threat IMO.

I'd happily move Jota over to the left if it means a 2017/2018 esque Bobby is coming in. There was some talk that Cunha was the man last summer but he moved to Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was actually going to suggest Leverkusen Diaby as a potential Mane replacement but I'd prefer Saka.

I'd look at Denis as Origis replacement if he's sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca are looking to try and offload deJong to balance the books so the can register Torres now he would be a great midfield signing for the right price.

Edit: Ok just saw they are looking for 80m for him so I'd leave that alone.

Hey, I wish we were spending every window too! However it's not realistic.

I have faith in Klopp though. He turns normal players into world beaters. The owners are blessed with him, no doubt about it. He's a money machine for them.

I hear you about Salah, but if he goes it's pays for a rebuild. Silver lining and all that. Obviously I hope he stays.

By the way, we are competitive. Not many teams better in football than us. Great chance of a good CL run again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I thought his first touch was awful. He kept trying one on ones and didn’t have the pace at all, except for one chance in second half when he cut back in. Not a good game for him.

• Advertisement

Apart from his goal, I thought he was awful as well. Taking that though ball when he was offside instead of leaving it for the onside Salah was the icing on the cake.

Don’t kid yourself 6, it’s January 2nd and few give us any hope of winning the league, that is not competitive, unless you think qualifying for the CL next year is the limit of our ambition. Run in CL will depend on avoiding MC/BM in my opinion.

You're kidding yourself if you think we can go toe to toe with Peps City year in year out. To do what we've done in the last four years has been phenomenal.

Imo, a lot of our fans need to get a grip, and not throw the toys out of the pram at the start of January.

Again, you are looking backwards. Unless the squad was improved last summer, we were handicapped from the start of the season against a team that won the league.

How is it throwing the toys out of the pram to be disappointed with the way this season has gone so far? We have lost leads in a good few games we could have and should have won. Our midfield is not functioning for reasons easily predicted.

I don’t get it, you think we should be glad that the team WERE so good, and shouldn’t complain. The toys are out of the pram because our best player hasn’t signed his contract, and the team is in decline and the owners didn’t address that. What do you expect? Happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Players of Salah's type are usually finished by the age of thirty - two. Gone. The pace begins to go around thirty. He's probably slightly past his best at the moment. Selling him now would not necessarily kill the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He really should have been sent off in the first minute too, it's not the first time he's used his elbow this way, often does it when no need to, surprised Klopp hasn't clamped down on him regarding this.

Maybe that is the luck that evens out over a season, Kane last week, Mane this week, both scored afterwards. Though admittedly Kane’s was a little more obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I actually think Salah is better than ever right now. Of course he may not be that in 2 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

wtf? The keeper, VVD and other transfers were made after selling a big player...mostly we have to sell to buy... yes i think we are correct in saying even af4ter the **** show of last season money should have been spent.... big time...

You want a team strengthed with no funds. You're not realistic. Tell me how you expect to to sign players when revenue was decimated last season? That seems to be the core of your gripe, but what's your solution?

We were hit with Covid before a run of Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea away. That'll cripple most teams. A draw away to Spurs and Chelsea are not bad results. Leicester was bad for sure.

Before that we were purring in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Possibly, but, can't really complain about Kane and then turn a blind eye to Mane, which was fairly clear cut too only thing that saved him was it was so early in the match which really shouldn't matter

Why do you think it is up to me, or any other fan for that matter to provide a solution? FSG pay financial advisors and Edward’s team to provide solutions to your question. I don’t know how much they could raise from investors, sponsors, loans etc, I don’t know what players they could have signed who were entering the last year of their contracts last summer or for less in January. They have experts for this.

There are a lot more matches than the ones you list that I base my opinion on, MC, Chelsea, Brentford, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves etc. We were not purring in the league, we had a few great displays but in a lot of games I got the sense that the other team were going to score against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Are many of his goals these days made by him out pacing anybody on the break and slotting. I'd have thought not. He got away today and blamed it at the keeper. Sure he needs to evolve but I think he's well underway in that process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the whole spending thing, the owners personal wealth is largely irrelevant. The club works as it’s own autonomous entity (with help getting low interest loans from FSG), which has been making solid financial continual progress since FSG took over.

I’m sure the club would’ve intended to spend more after winning the league - except us winning the league happened to coincide with huge losses as a result of the Covid pandemic, rather than the gains we’d have expected in the normal world.

The timing has been horrible, but it is what it is. We’ve been unlucky. I can’t really fault anyone at the club though.

Absolutely agree. But it is a false economy putting off spending on the team to save money. It just means they have to spend a lot more later if they have title aspirations. Look at the age profile of the team. There are a lot of players either approaching or in their 30’s and are not getting better, Salah excluded. Buying a couple of younger players last summer, even if it meant taking on some debt, coupled with another couple this summer using gate receipts/ TV money might have been better than having to replace Gini/Ox/Keita/Milner/Origi/Mina/Matip/Williams/Bobby or Mane all at once. We really can’t go into next season with the majority of those players still in the squad.

That’s true - but I think you have to factor in the risk of not selling the guys that need to be sold to raise that money… I’d be fairly confident that Mane, Ox, Karius, Phillips and Naby would’ve all been available last summer to bring cash in and lower the wage bill in order to strengthen - but the other effect of Covid is that it’s killed the market we normally operate in so well. And I’d say they’re very reluctant to add forwards and midfielders on high wages without any certainty of being able to get rid of the lads and their wages. Klopp said as much last summer when talking about the squad already being too big to add more players to.

so I’d say the thinking was to hold firm with the current crop in the hopes the market improves and even with a year less on their contracts, that those surplus lads can generate more money a year on (or at very least, actually have real interest), so we didn’t get stuck with a totally bloated squad limiting future progress.

essentially, buying up front without any guarantee of recouping would be risky, and we know our club is run with a very thoughtful, calculated, risk averse, policy

That risk is still there, and whatever they were worth last year, it will be less next summer. Although we wasn’t the highest paid by any means, Gini was off the wage bill and left the squad, Elliot was already on it and I doubt he is being paid much so that was the obvious replacement needed.

It isn’t just Liverpool that will be in better financial shape come the summer, lots of other clubs less well run will be as well. That inevitably means higher prices for better players. The time to pick up players is when others need to sell. There will be a lot of shoppers this summer.

Exactly.

We can't just spend what isn't there. I'd expect money to be available in the summer.

The obvious addition was Konate - given that we still only had 3 proper quality CBs, and all three were returning from long term injury. So, in addition to several important improved contracts, that’s where the money went.

That CB addition was needed more than a 9th midfielder.

• Advertisement

Konate hadn’t played that much this season, Gomes has hardly kicked a ball, Matip has stayed relatively injury free and our midfield is not doing well. A new midfielder to replace the one ultra reliable midfielder has proved to be as important as a new CB was. If we go back to the posts at the start of the season, I’d say there are a lot who hoped we would not find out how much we missed Gini.

Just as an example, and I’m not saying he is the ideal choice, but Frank Kessie has missed 4 games in the last 4 seasons due to injury, and one of those was due to the flu. He was ACs second highest scorer last year behind Ibra, he was entering the last year of his contract and is on £70k per week. Maybe we will buy someone better in the summer, but he kinda sounds and looks like a Klopp player even though he played only ok against us in the CL. Konate looked woeful at times last year, but we now know he is a hell of a player under Klopp.

Advertisement