Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I was comparing the actions of 'legitimate' authority to that of the IRA in assisting the IRA. Point out the revisionism. Was he not involved in arms smuggling?

Point is your partner of choice in government have ties to Saddam and facist Franco. I don't deny the IRA had many dealings in the middle east with Gaddafi.

My question to you is what is your point? The Gaddafi connection is well known and 40 years ago. In other discussions 1998 is too far back for you. We know all the 'legitimate' parties are no better than the IRA or SF/IRA if it suits you, as regards money and the middle East, so what's your point and how does it relate to SF in 2022?

Picking up on opinion piece articles regarding 40 years ago and posting them here saying 'this is interesting' doesn't make it current or even of this century. I don't know why you are allowed get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Was MI5/6 disbanded at that stage that they had to ask Martin McGuinness about dissident republican activity. Its not like there was any love lost between PIRA and RIRA. You do know that there was a bit of an acrimonious split which resulted in dissident republican RIRA? A bit like the first split of Sinn Fein into Cosgrave/Collins (now FG v. Dev.(now FF).

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh no, Haughey was acquitted of the charge or arms smuggling. It was an inept attempt to do so which failed completely. But hey, if you want to accept that being charged with something equals being guilty, there are a whole lot of SF ones I can put up on this thread, which will be on topic, unlike yours.

The Gadaffi connection to Sinn Fein and the PIRA continued up until the very recent past.

"Attacks carried out with Libyan Semtex included the Enniskillen bomb in 1987, the Ballygawley bus bombing in 1988 and about 250 other booby-trap bombings."

The London docklands bombing in 1996 are only 25 years ago, hardly the distant time of history that you claim.

If you don't like me pointing to the dirty association of Sinn Fein with Libya, report me. How all of this relates to Sinn Fein in 2022 is, to take the words of Gerry's Christmas video - they haven't gone away.

• Advertisement

Are you denying what the State papers are reported to have said. The evidence is clear - SF said that the Governments were too concerned with dissident activity, shortly before Omagh. SF's hands are unclean again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Gaddafi was a great man and a friend of Ireland taken down by the British and Americans in collaboration with Western media who claimed he was using mass rape as a weapon of war which amnesty International later denied ever took place.

You are misrepresting my comments to blather on the same theme without addressing my points or answering my questions.

The Gaddafi connection is well known and 40 years old. You have issue with things pre 1998 if it suits you.

Your article was about Gaddafi.

So this is connected to SF in 2022 because Adams made that video?

Why are you posting 40 year old 'news' in a thread about SF in current affairs? Polls hurt that much?

You don't see the need to condemn a country that occupies another?

Fascinating

• Advertisement

What's funny? You don't like Gaddafi I'm guessing, I was just quoting amnesty International.

I asked you for the quote from the State Papers as I do not have a sub to the Belfast Telegraph to read what was said in the State Papers, so no, I am not denying what the State Papers actually said.

So, would you supply the direct quote from Martin McGuinness saying that the Real IRA were no threat.

You might also explain why Bertie was asking Martin McGuinness that question in the first place, bearing in mind that the various IRAs were meant to be riddled with British informants and MI5/6 would have been keeping tabs on paramilitary activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Many people would indeed prefer that a nation's leadership stand up for what's right under all circumstances, regardless of the consequences. "We tolerate human rights abuses by others because life gets harder for us if we don't" is one of the most pathetic arguments used by pro-establishment types. Rather akin in the SF context to "I remained in my job as an RUC officer after it morphed into an enforcement agency for state terrorism because I needed the cash". F*ck that. You align yourself with the paramilitary arm of an illegitimate government, you're just as culpable as those who actually swung the batons or fired the bullets.

You're making the assumption that everyone is a selfish pragmatist who would rather live an easy life than a virtuous one. That doesn't apply to everyone.

For the record, my view on Gaddaffi is f*ck him. Just as with the RUC, the minute you use violence against peaceful protesters or demonstrators, you deserve a bullet yourself. Gaddafi's forces shot people who were marching during the Arab Spring of 2011, that policy constitutes a self-signed death warrant in my view. And the IRA were wrong to ally themselves with a despot like that - his entire rule in office was marked by a ban on political opposition, state-sponsored censorship, etc.

I'll also point out once again that I support what the IRA originally stood for but not what it became. The intentional targeting of civilians, especially when IRA units went to England to carry out bombings, is an appalling stain on our country's history and there is no excuse for it. But contrary to the disdain with which others view the so-called "hierarchy of atrocities", there absolutely is one. This conflict existed only because one side felt that they were morally justified in oppressing the other side for many decades, and in using violence to prevent the oppressed from peacefully protesting their oppression. They will always be the bigger villains in this story for that reason, because regardless of what came afterwards and who committed worse crimes, the basis for the whole conflict is 100% their fault, for choosing to behave in an oppressive, elitist manner.

If I throw the first punch in an unprovoked fight, the rest of the fight is on me. I have always believed that and I always will. I imagine that's a moral principle many others hold as well. If the other person does me a more serious injury in retaliation than I did with my unprovoked assault, it's still on me, because the other person had a reason to punch me, I had no reason to punch them. I'm the bigger asshole in that story, regardless of what happens subsequently. 

Prior to the outbreak of the Troubles, the Unionist side were using violence to oppress the Nationalist side. The Troubles are their fault, not the Nationalists'. If they had chosen to allow the civil rights marches to go ahead - or better yet, never engaged in tribalistic discrimination as a form of government, there would never have been a Troubles at all. That simple fact means that, in my and many others' view, the Unionist side are automatically the bigger villains. Automatically. Because no conflict would have existed if they hadn't been behaving like fascists.

Waiting on the 'this is interesting' Shergar opinion piece.

Are we to revist every decade rather than discuss politics in this century?

I have produced a newspaper article that states it. If you think the newspaper article is untrue, do your own research.

I don't know if its true because I have not read it. What I do find questionable is from the subheading, it says something completely different to what you are claiming.

So, can you please supply the quote from the State papers in the Belfast Telegraph where Martin McGuinness said that the Real IRA were no threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So not only did SF/PIRA train the people who carried out the Omagh bombing, they also lobbied the government to downplay the risk of dissidents.

100% complicit in my eyes.

This begs the question, wasn't planting bombs in civilian areas and killing people futile? Of course it was.

The vast majority of people killed by the IRA were the security forces mainly British army, on the few occasions civilians died in bombings yes I agree that it was futile and mostly accidental.

• Advertisement

The PIRA killed more Catholics and civilians than all of the British Security forces, in fact way more.

Planting a bomb in a civilian area is a war crime according to the Geneva Convention. SF/PIRA are guilty of many war crimes.

So planting a bomb in a civilian area is a war crime but dropping one from the sky is fine? Every army who has been in conflict are responsible for some war crimes.

Not true, the army may have personally only killed a few hundred people but the state was involved in at least a third of the deaths through collusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

@markodaly and @blanch152 , the three of us entirely agree that the IRA targeting of civilians was an evil abomination which should be utterly condemned. So that's a good starting point of agreement. I'm curious, though - coming at the conflict from the other end, at what point do either of you believe that a state and its security forces can be declared illegitimate and rogue through its own actions in engaging in oppressive and fascist policy, and enforcement thereof?

To ask a more specific question: When the NICRA march was blocked in Duke Street and the RUC began to beat the absolute sh!t out of peaceful protesters, in your opinion was a violent response towards those specific officers justified on that occasion? If someone present had managed to strike back and batter one of the baton wielding cops in the head leaving him a bloody mess, just as he had done to a protester moments before, would that be justified or would you be condemning it as "terrorism"?

What about Bloody Sunday? The individual soldiers who fired the bullets, had someone managed to put a bullet into one of their heads as a response on the day, in your view would that have been justified or would you decry it as terrorism?

I'm honestly just trying to ascertain a rough idea of how much state-mandated violent and brutal oppression of legitimate, peaceful protest you believe a group of people should be expected to tolerate, before it becomes morally ok for them to respond with violence of their own. Clearly you disagree with the vast majority of SF supporters on this issue, that's obviously understood and accepted, but where exactly is your line?

If the British Army were actively machine gunning row after row of protesters, would you still say that anyone who shot one of the soldiers responsible was an unjustified terrorist? Where is the line?

My view is extremely simple as I've outlined in previous pages - the minute a police baton touches the skin of an innocent, peaceful protester, that officer deserves to get the absolute sh!t kicked out of him by the crowd, at the very least. Where is your specific line in these matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Like the ‘peaceful protestors’ that showed up in Jobstown you mean?

Is this not heavily conceited talking point and fundamentally highlights,juwt how little yous know nor care about the conflict??

..since the british killed hundreds and hundreds of innocents via loyalist death squads whom they directed and provided intelligence,weapons and military cover to??

When can we expect the british in front of the hague for its involvement in loyalist bombings of the rather bizzarely termed "civilain areas" in free state?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The conflict is over dude, what’s at’s issue now is the future,and in this thread it’s how Will SF perform.

Time to put the whataboutery and well -worn rhetoric away and move into the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Ireland is unfree,do you really think the conflict is over forever

Curious that any and all calls for british to face justice for their war crimes on this island is met with demands/calls to move on.....in the context of moving on,didnt yous give months on end,complaining about some lads funeral??

• Advertisement

You need to look up the definitions of what a war crime is, and I have to love your whataboutism. This is a thread about SF and its armed wing, the PIRA are guilty of many a war crime. That is just a fact.

Advertisement