Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Sligojoek

Options
2»

Comments

Sligojoek is now gone to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember reading his posts a few times over the years, always had something interesting to say on various topics.

Rest easy man.

RIP

Familiar with his posts on TLLS threads - a very sad time for all .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always enjoyed his take on music and the stories that went with them. RIP.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m so sad to read this now. I looked forward to his posts. He was such an interesting person.

Sincere condolences to his wife, children, extended family and to all who love him and will miss him.

May he RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That beautiful blessing sums up what I would like to say.

An intelligent and interesting poster, gone far too soon, from this world. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Only saw this today, sincere condolences to his family.

Only knew him via the radio forum, may he rest in peace.

Only seen this today as i have been off the grid a bit :( Very sad. Such a nice guy. May he RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I remember communicating with him sometimes while making posts on the Satellite & Television forums down through the years. To read that he was critically ill is very heartbreaking. I give my sincere condolences to his family and friends who are grieving at this very sad time.

Rest easy Sligojoek. May God be with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

May he rest in Peace,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I was shocked and saddened to hear this evening of the untimely death of SligoJoe.

It’s been years since I last posted on Boards but I felt I had to pay my respects to Joe (RIP). He was a gentleman. I remember having lots of great discussions with him and some heated debates too!!

However, a few things stand out - he was a proud Tipperary man, happily exiled in Sligo, he loved his wife and family and he was very proud of his children.

He was passionate about Tipperary GAA and used to slag me off mercilessly for supporting Clare hurling. He loved music and his tastes were varied. He was a Pogues super fan and had great stories about his time hanging out with the band.

I remember exchanging recipes with him and one Christmas we discussed how best to cook the Christmas ham. I said I was going to cook mine in cider. He said he couldn’t justify wasting good alcohol!!

I will be thinking of you “SligoJoe from Tipp” and your beloved family this Christmas. May their happy memories be a source of comfort at this very difficult time.

Rest in Peace SligoJoe

https://youtu.be/j9jbdgZidu8

Post edited by Lady Chatterton on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nice tribute L C

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Christmas for me is always backed up by Fairytale Of New York as the soundtrack, I absolutely love the tune, never tire of it. Any time I mentioned anything Pogues or Shane related on here I'd be pretty much guaranteed to get a reply from Sligojoek about a story he would have here or there he had with the band, loved that, missing you man. I know how hard this must be for your family, particularly this first Christmas without you, RIP.

I still can’t believe he’s gone. Was in regular touch with him on WhatsApp, right up to the hours before he had the massive stroke. The last text was sharing a very funny story. He had mentioned a headache and stomach issue but thought he was “over the worst”. Then I heard via his wife & a mutual friend about the catastrophic illness, and a month or two later about his death. Still shocked, and I never even met him in person. Imagine how his family are, and his mother was terminally ill, not expected to make it to Christmas. They were already resigned to a quiet, sad Christmas, but not like this.

Lovely gesture

RIP SligoJoek

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

RIP sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Jasus, I just opened the thread to read it and just realised around the 3rd post mentioning McGowen it was about my cousin Noel, he was a sound lad and will be missed by all that knew him

• Advertisement

So very sorry about your loss. I and some other Boardsies had got to know him quite a bit through WhatsApp. He’s very missed on the group. We closed the original chat and opened up another in his memory called “Friends of Noel”

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Randomly landed on this and after reading a few posts realised that I knew Sligooek very well.

RIP Blinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

RIP Sligojoek ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Itineoman

Came across a few of his posts in the Classic Cars forum and recognised the name. He had a lovely presence online and was well liked on boards by all. That’s not always easy to achieve. I appreciated his pictures and comments of old cars and abandoned beauties in the motors forum.. I know he contributed to other forums on Boards.

Post edited by Itineoman on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I've just seen this thread as I've been away from boards a lot for the last while. Though I didn't know him personally, we had an unusual connection in that I own a Beele that his dad owned when he was a child. We had a good chat about it when I stumbled across his post with old pics of it. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We met once. Such was his personality that I am now not sure if this was in person or online, At the base of a mountain between Leitrim and Sligo. I can still " see " the place. A man you would always remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 King Cnut

I only signed up to offer my condolences. I knew him 'online' via the Radio Forum. He was an extremely decent guy, who had no time for bullshit or pretence. I loved his stories of Shane McGowan, his cutting quips, and his common sense.

RIP to a sound Tipp man.

A Tyrant Named Miltiades

Yes he lived nearby there, his widow is a great painter and has done many mountain & coastal scenes locally, absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

His anniversary was marked recently.

Raise a glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please pass my good wishes on to her? Would love to see the paintings but I am "confined to barracks " these days. It is... awesome how some folk impress so deeply and lastingly with just a single short meeting.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement