Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The Government could do a sort of hybrid return to school (but they won't).

I was talking to a friend who lives in the US over the Christmas break. She was reminding me of what their kids' school did last year. Parents could opt to send the kids in or keep them at home and link in via video. They had to chose for an entire period of time like half a Term ( we could do 3 or 4 weeks here). My friend and her Husband were both WFH so opted to keep the kids at home as that worked for them. Others sent the kids in. All kids in needed to wear Masks even the younger ones.

Obviously this kind of thing can't be rolled out at short notice but what really frustrates me is the all-open-as-normal or all-closed approach. No effort to try to plan out other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Do you really believe teachers are a child minding service?

No economy no teachers get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hybrid can work for secondary but not necessarily for primary as there is a lot more than just learning at work. Here's a recent piece from WAPO about the European experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The closure or delay of schools reopening would be criminal at this stage. The evidence regarding tiny covid risk to kids and the harm school closures do is overwhelming at this stage. Here's even more commentary on it.

Must have a read. Thanks. It's just an option to be considered. Short term until 5-11 are vaccinated or this wave of Omicron subsides.

My friends' kids are both under-11 so in Elementary School in the US. Yes, it was hard at the time on both the kids and the Parents but they were both fine. They are both fully vaccinated now since end of November and they are back to school in-person today (and have been since September).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

The only reason why schools couldn't open would be due to lack of staff. I don't see how anyone at this stage could argue for an extended closure due to safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think thats a great idea that would meet all needs and keep students and teachers safer - You'll find though in Ireland the authorities go out of there way to find the problems rather than seeing the benefits. Im guessing the dept of Ed and unions will quote GDPR, confidentiality, technology, wifi , lack of training etc etc as reasons not to do this. They wont see it as viable down to several easily solvable reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

No, I don’t believe that schools are a child minding service, but it’s undeniable that many do.

No teachers, no economy. Get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Keep primary closed and open secondary schools and see how the teachers who are parent get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Fully agree with the above! Covid doesn't really affect kids but unfortunately a lot of teachers isolating and there are no subs to be found so the children can't be in school alone. I know this is the same in my other sectors at the moment. There are massive staff shortages and business have closed this week. One well known supermarket in Wexford has closed for the entire week due to staff shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Think the main issue with schools would definitely be staffing. Our school struggled badly before Christmas when cases were less than half of what they are now. I suppose we will find out tomorrow!

We were the same. We ended up getting a local girl to sit in with the class for a week! We had no other option. There are literally no subs to be found anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Staffing issues were troublesome in this country even before covid especially in urban areas. The two tier pay scale and making the one year higher diploma a two year masters had turned many young people off entering the profession. Many young teachers have done the right thing and fucked off to the middle-east.

The total disregard and lack of investment in education in this country in the past decades has decimated schools across this country. You get what you pay for. The chickens have come home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Solvable given time, money and resources. How many secondary schools could currently reliably support 30 to 40 simultaneous video streams, both on internal and external networks. How many have the audio-visual equipment to record 30 to 40 classes simultaneously? How many have the spares and technical support to do this reliably on an ongoing basis?

Given how poorly implemented equipping schools with CO2 monitors and HEPA filters has been I wouldn't have much confidence in the ability of the department to roll out the resources necessary to support hybrid learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

If I could thank this post x 1000 😁 Our education system is in no way geared to this. It isn’t as simple as other countries can do it why can’t we- one of the biggest issues we found was a lack of access to equipment. You would assume that in this day and age every child would have access to a laptop / tablet / ipad but no we had to organise for school equipment ( limited) to be loaned out to students . Our school internet is a bit glitchy at the best of times and certain classrooms ( despite boosters ) are lucky to have it at all. It’s not unusual for it to drop across the entire school. Couldn’t see us being able to run a hybrid system with any amount of success. We had significant disengagement across the school during lockdown for that reason alone I’m hoping we won’t close.

I don't know the solution to this. But I really believe that starting when the Schools first closed in March 2020 and definitely latest by Summer 2020, the Dept of Education should have started properly investigating all options to continue Education for all children. They should have effectively "disaster-planned" different scenarios and different combinations of solutions to deal with the scenarios.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hope that your preparations are not needed but that they are there if needs be.

This idea of black and white - all Schools open as normal with little to no mitigations versus all Schools closed is wrong.

There were effectively no mitigations in our daughter's Primary School until recently when the masks came in. Our daughter was masked all along indoors at school and we took her off the school bus until she was fully vaccinated.

The mitigations in our son's Secondary were masks, no lockers, segregation of Year Groups and allocating Base Classrooms.

Hand sanitiser and windows open in both schools.

If proper plans were drawn up in Summer 2020, we wouldn't be here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

we had 10 cases a day in summer 2020 if we had a zero covid policy like china we wouldnt be where we are today!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

That would never even get off the ground in Ireland. Do you think the unions would approve? I doubt it.

Also as mentioned there is no technology and expertise in schools to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Agreed. People were screaming for these obvious mitigation measures from the get go. Many countries put a plan in place in 2020 and never had to close.

The government and dept of education seem devoid of the most basic imagination and common sense in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Staff are all jabbed and boosted, schools need to be open full stop, the virus is extremely low low risk to healthy children

my lad has it and it’s nothing to him a bit of a cough that’s it he’s outside playing football as I type, if parents feel the risk is too great don’t sent their children in. We must move forwards now.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

The government have done nothing to improve the hospitals for a disaster situation so there was no hope of schools being prepared.

Agree with you. I was just talking about Schools here but absolutely agree that "Disaster-planning" should have been carried out in Health and across the wider Public Service. We were caught out by the Pandemic in early 2020 but we should have used that experience to at least make the best possible effort not to let it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

In that case talk to their GP' get them signed off sick and get them vaccinated then give it 3 weeks before sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Not too sure about the practicalities of that.

Many parents would be due a tulsa visit well before the 3 weeks due to most having missed so many days already.

Its just a shame we don't have a solid online learning infrastructure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Not knowing if you're prepping for in-person or online work at this stage is fairly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Just heard on the 9PM news there, Secondary schools are doing a staggered return,

6th and 3rd as usual, back Thursday, they don't know about the rest for now.

Wondering If college will just keep shut until I finish in April.... Most classes are online now anyways...

I don't think that has been confirmed. Only proposed by the ASTI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Is that definite - ASTI planned to propose that tomorrow when they meet with the govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

ASTI chancing their arms. Why would schools not go back fully?

1. Kids dont end up in hospital.

2. Omicron is even weaker than previous variants.

3. Hospitals are coping. Icu is stable.

4. The rest of our economy cant function properly without schools being open.

I mean where the fcuk are we going with this. Shocking, incredible and disgusting if this happens.

How much school will kids have missed in the last 24 months?

Advertisement