Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well in days gone by (2 whole years ago); were you not actually ill and because we have never tested for such illnesses before, you would never have known that you were amongst people with an infectious illness.

Yes it is. The main reasons for PCRs these days seems to be mainly to prove you have COVID whether it's for work, travel, sick pay etc

We're reaching a stage now were ultimately it doesn't matter whether we have 5k or 50k cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Hospital up by 87 to 804.

What I want to know is, how many of these were already in hospital and how many of these went to hospital for something else and were diagnosed?

I feel like at this stage of the pandemic these kind of stats should be widely available.

The information is available but it's only shared with us in a dishonest way from Tony Holohan which is a disgrace at this stage.

If Tony is right, Omicron is much more serious in Ireland than every other country.

But I'd bet my mortgage that Tony is lying through his teeth to make things sound worse than they are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And do you think staffing isn't an issue at the moment then ?

It seems as if your just dismissing it as a non issue with the "pull the other one" remark.

A reduction in the isolation period would relieve alot of staffing pressure and hopefully that's coming this week.

Personally I think hospitals will be fine paitent wise but you still need to staff them to a safe level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

there was 118 positive tests in hospital yesterday so a proportion of them are surely incidental given the high community spread

The one aspect of it I'm finding odd is how one varient seems to completely replace the other. It's very useful, from our point of view, but I'm just surprised at how fast Delta died back and has been utterly replaced by this Omicron varient, which is genuinely looking a hell of lot milder.

It's just surprising they aren't coexisting. I still haven't found any journal articles and that adequately explain the mechanism that is causing variants to almost entirely wipeout their predecessors.

I'm theorising that once our immune systems are triggered by an infection of the milder varient, the nastier one also gets hammered, but is less easily able to replicate as rapidly, so dies out. So perhaps the more transmissible, less virulent strains are able to replicate, survive and are basically being naturally selected by interaction with our immune systems, which are no longer naive due to previous infection and lots of vaccination information on board too.

Hopefully it remains that way, as you could equally get a highly transmissible, highly virulent varient emerge too

It's just rolling the dice all the time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Private hospitals may be needed if hospitalisations keep rising.

It appears now that the notion of closing anything is off the agenda. The public doesn't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Well it would be par for the course that it’s worse in this country than it is in every other country, been that way since the start and people get upset if you ask why?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Delta spreads 50% faster than Alpha, which was 50% more contagious than the original strain. Omicron, according to some studies, spreads up to 70 times faster so it means it can get to more people more quickly and viruses tend not to survive all that well outside a host body.

Here's a Twitter thread with some thoughts on Omicron

• Advertisement

Yeah, but unless there’s an immune block on its ability to infect, there would seem no reason why omicron couldn’t fly along at 70x transmissibility, while Delta would just plod along regardless.

Viruses don’t reproduce sexually, so it’s not natural selection of traits, by choice/access to more virulent partners, nor is there a shortage of host cells. So, it’s just raw number of infections driving the change and the only blocking factor seems to be human’s developing immunity.

It looks like we are driving it up an evolutionary pathway that is basically selecting less virulent but more contagious strains.

I wouldn’t take it for granted though. As you could get a roll of the dice that produces something that gets past immunity and carries virulence forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It depends what incidental is defined as. If it’s the proportion of people who didn’t present to hospital as a confirmed positive and tested positive subsequently while in hospital, it’s 20-30% of hospital figures;

“Hospital-acquired infections occur in the latter part of each surge of disease, and in each of the three surges hospital-acquired Infections account for 20-30% of hospitalised cases.”

From government website from last January (need to scroll to page 42);

But those people could still become ill and need treatment.

The better figure to know would be those in hospital needing no treatment or so little treatment it has no bearing on their illness or length of stay.

I'm still curious about Tony saying 5% in hospital are non infectious. I can only assume he means testing negative?

But that person stays in the hospital figures until discharged.

I'd love someone to clarify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

@Octopod

Omicron is displacing delta science

Omicron infection also produced immunity against Delta. This means someone who has been infected with delta is largely immune to subsequent delta infection. Therefore delta will soon have no one to infect, therefore will go away. Omicron infection enhances neutralizing immunity against the Delta variant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure we know he is disguising the truth constantly to make things sound worse, why take any notice of anything he says, isn't that what we do eventually when people aren't honest, boy who cried wolf etc , credibility is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ICU now at 93, up 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It could be, and I'm not sure if it panned out that it was true, that he had one of those Lidl antigens (GENRUI) that were supposedly giving a lot of false positives? But if not, and still positive antigen, given that they say that some people are infectious for 10 days odd, going out with knowingly positive antigen rather than waiting another day or 2, seems a tad wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I don’t understand this either. If you test positive, how do they know if you’re non infectious or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

HPSC are noting that the numbers reported today and yesterday are basically the positive swabs, not confirmed cases.

Still gonna reserve judgement till tomorrow, but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Agree. It serves absolutely no purpose anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

i see ConorRiocht has taken himself off twitter due to some absolutely tool bags on twitter trying to show who he is and where he works!! Oh and look who thinks he’s too positive miss caution olive! Herself and Paddy Cosgrave are a joke! Some serious gowls! God forbid anyone wants to be positive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ive always been against the "let it rip" way of thinking throughout this pandemic.

And im still of that opinion, however this new variant is an entirely different beast to anything we have seen before.

It is starting to look to me anyway that the only thing that is going to significantly reduce it spreading from the level it is now is by introducing a lockdown even more severe than anything we have had before, I dont think more restrictions will do too much by themselves. I dont think we will be going down that road.

So if spread does continue the way it is then there may have to start being some uncomfortable converstaions about infection control measures in hospitals. If we come to the point where the spread of infection is so rife in the community and in hospitals maybe their may need to be an acceptance that spread of infection may become inevitable in some sections of some hospitals, in order to keep and allow other hospital services to continue.

Now I dont think we are anywhere near that point yet, and hopefully we never will be, but I do wonder are these conversations being had? and are their any plans being put in place for this eventuality? Maybe something like protection zones and covid free zones for certain patients that may be vulnerable or very sick.

What an embarrassing attack on him. He posted the HSE data, that's it. Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ah here,sure if it was possible to have covid free zones in hospitals don't you think they would of had them from the start of the pandemic? There would be no pandemic if that was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

The mass isolations globally that will shut down huge amounts of manufacturing and services sites (including hospitals) is probably the biggest problem right now and a very difficult one. No easy or popular solution to that one I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The virus has beaten us at every battle thus far. It just happens to be using tricks to beat us that are working in our favour but we refuse to accept them because of the obsession with cases and mitigation.

The ideal outcome for us is a virus that’s very transmissible but less able to cause severe outcomes (hosp/ICU/death). We appear to have that with omicron. The obsession with case reduction and restrictions needs to stop after 2 years of utter failure. Cases on par with the UK for the last 6 months despite them completely opening up society

Government need to meet pronto to assess the new world we live in. Hundreds of thousands of people in this country sitting in their bedrooms on the off chance they develop a sore throat. Massive outbreaks in pubs across the country despite the 8pm curfew. Expensive tests required to enter the country despite unmitigated transmission in every village in Ireland.

There’s one big difference as we enter 2022. The fear factor is gone. Last Christmas there was plenty of people afraid of catching the virus but upon seeing the hundreds of thousands of people with sore throats and headaches this Christmas the public appetite for these restrictions will disappear. There will always be the hardcore nutters but in general this is reaching the end game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not sure what the ongoing value of mass PCR testing is given the lack of availability of timely tests.

The benefit of PCR confirmation at a point in time where the person is likely fully recovered seem to be entirely administrative, Covid sick pay, case counting, Digital Covid Cert, etc...

PCR is probably most useful in screening close contacts amongst healthcare staff, to ensure that healthy staff are not isolating unnecessarily and allowing the maximum availability of staff to meet all healthcare needs. Any surplus PCR capacity should be focussed on ensuring availability of staff for other essential state services.

To address the sick pay, apply the Covid sick pay in all instances of RTIs with or without PCR for the next month. Adding the cost saving of no PCR to regular sick pay will probably make up a large proportion of the difference.

Tracking cases can be done on the basis of self reporting of RTIs (will be needed for sick pay) and positive antigen with a random sample brought for PCR to determine the correlation between self reported RTI and PCR positive. Not as exact as the PCR for all regime we have had previously but certainly good enough to track macro trends and a whole lot better than just counting those who are lucky or persistent enough to book a PCR.

As for the Covid cert, there's a digital dustbin somewhere for that.

Advertisement