Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish language gets full EU status today

Comments

Yes, but thats a never ending cycle of whataboutery that touches events centuries ago that none of us saw or were responsible for. I'm just trying to give some insight here to unionist thinking, its not really about the language as such. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You been adamant on several threads that I am Irish. I guess you are not including me in your brotherhood in that post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's about equality and parity of esteem. That includes language as well as other rights.

Unionists don't want equality, they never did and will scaremonger about being dominated...nobody wants to do that, they just want equality and parity.

First paragraph - yes.

Second paragraph - i think youre talking more about politicians here. Joe Bloggs will equate Irish language with republicanism, thats all Im saying here.

I am talking about anybody who blocks equality or supports blocking it. If the cap fits...etc.

Fair enough - I hope you're not including me in that ?

You have attended far to many Old romantic republican gatherings. You are now just churning out Gerry’s words. How many times on this thread have you said ‘equality’

Heres Gerry in full flow on same Trojan horse. Pitty he let it slip. “That's what's going to break them - equality. Who could be afraid of equality? Who could be afraid of treating somebody the way you want to be treated. That's what we need to keep the focus on - that's the Trojan horse of the entire republican strategy" Mr Adams said.

The trojan horse downcow - where you don't realise dual language signage is all over the north and you make comment like you did in your OP about 'most of the north. Keep going, the more you protest equality, the more it happens anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Wait am I missing something here? You started a thread on Irish as an official language of the EU but you seem to be mostly talking about extreme unionists in Northern Ireland and how they view Irish as a language. Why would the EU give a second thought to what anti-EU extremist groups think about EU languages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

This has turned into the Francis vs Downcow match AGAIN ! I visit NI quite a lot on business and have done for the guts of 20 years. I don’t see the same debate happening anywhere and I would include other recent spats by each here. The politicians from each side play to an electorate, that to me, appears in the minority on both sides. Those that shout the loudest on each side.

Yeah. You are right. I initially ignored francies snipes and provocative language, but he drew me in again.

There are a few posters seem to follow me around, and I see steady eddy has just joined. Anyhow I get enough PMs from people how disagree with me but support my being here so I guess I will continue.

I will try to avoid the spat. Good call from you.

Yeah you certainly are missing something. Maybe you should read the original post again. EU decision was the catalyst for the OP but the OP had little to do with the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@downcow The article you linked in the OP is 15 years old ffs. How did you find it, and why is this thread in Current Affairs?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,270 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think he googled it after hearing it on the news. What was on the news would have been that the status of the Irish Language was now permanent in the EU. There was a probation period of 15 years or something.

• Advertisement

You are at this 'following you around' nonsense on several threads. The victimhood complex again.

If you make comment on a public forum expect to be answered or taken to task.

I answer many comments on here, there is nothing special about yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would you not have a more recent article to cite, rather than something from more than 10 years ago? It's not an idle question, given that the Alliance Party is now calling for the implementation of Acht na Gaeilge in the North.

That said, your choice was interesting, given Ms. Lo's subsequent support for a United Ireland, and the abuse she received emanating from one section of the community in that part of the world.

I told you I know one as well

A cursory search of the board will show more than one instance of people pointing out the active role played by Linda Ervine in promoting the Irish language, either directly in engagement with you or in threads which you, for want of a better expression, have been all over like a rash. You are well aware of the work done by Linda and the Cairde Turas organisation, work that she couldn't do without the assistance and co-operation of others, and you are well aware of her loyalist credentials. So the notion that you are aware of nobody in the unionist community who is supportive in this area simply doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. You need to stop spoofing, WADR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It always amused me "Shankill" comes from the Irish "Sean coill/cill" meaning old church/wood. Wonder what folks on the Shankill Rd think of that one.

yeah, one of my links was 15 years old by mistake but that was discussed and clarified 7 pages ago, so we both need to keep up

Spoofing is just a softer way of telling me I am lying, but you have no basis for that. I only know one person reared as a unionist who is interested in Irish - which is exactly what I said. I don’t know Linda. I have never ever met her or even seen her at a distance. Of course I am aware of her. She certainly takes a very unusual position for a unionist (if she would call herself a unionist), and she is also not alone. There is clearly a very very small number of people in my community who have an interest in Irish. You will find that in almost everything. There are a very small number of nationalists attend the 12th and even play in orange bands etc, there are a very small number of Protestants involved in the GAA . There were black people in UKIP and their were decent people involved in the paramilitaries, but in all these cases they would be far from the norm.

That is another great example of phonetically spelt Irish which some nationalists want a second form of Irish put beside and called dual language and equality.

Clarity would be placing “Old Wood Road” on the sign, Equality would be all four forms ie those two plus the properly spelt Irish and ulster-Scots - and that would still miss many minorities who could claim inequality

Those pesky minorities...

Not your ornery onager

Tbh I think minorities who do not speak English should be the priority for translation services and signage. It seems ridiculous to prioritise majorities who can speak English. Irish and ulster-Scots should come behind eg polish

Oh the irony. Tells me I am unreasonable and then tells another poster they have the iq of a shovel - all in the one short post.

…and the context of my post was that a previous post of mine was being misrepresented to suggest I did not care about minorities. I correct that for the other poster and then you misrepresent that to imply I was putting down Irish.

I trust everyone can see the trend. Some posters want a republican echochamber with no challenge from any other perspective.

the work to get me banned off this thread is well under way from the usual suspects. I will need to be squeaky clean going forward.

The Posts have been interesting and challenged my thinking.

the few who come on and attack me or basically say that unionists need to suck it up and embrace the language like it or not, certainly bring out the worst in me and encourage me to resist and campaign against the promotion of Irish signage. These are comfortable emotions

the posters who appear to love the language and want to develop it in as non threatening manner as possible, challenge me greatly and leave me thinking I need to sort myself out and realise this is a very important aspect of my neighbours culture and identity. It challenges me to be more positive towards signs being erected. These are not so comfortable emotions

the huge challenge for people like me is to see past the nastier republicans who are on gerrys Trojan horse tactics. It is a huge risk to try and articulate in my community the positives of the language, just for the shinners to be in the paper the next week photographed beside the next sign, stating how they are greening Ireland and working towards unification.

it’s complex, but I do really respect real Irish language lovers. To be really honest, I am not ready to promote or even stop working against yhe erection of the signs just yet.

on wider issues in the original post, I am supportive of funding going into development of the language and agree with several posters on here who suggest it should go into the quiet but important support of individuals to engage and not the mass translations or controversial signage.

"the posters who appear to love the language and want to develop it in as non threatening manner as possible"

Downcow, can you genuinely not see how abhorrent this would be if an American said it about a native American language, or an Australian said it about Aboriginal languages?

You are so far gone that your attempts at being reasonable are still chaotically disrespectful. Your previous comments about your father's use of the language etc. are so atrocious, I cannot fathom why you think your opinion on the Irish language is welcome.

You and your community see Irish as the language of the IRA, whereas Irish people see it as part of Irish culture. As long as those positions remain, your comments are worthless.

Don’t try to poison and misrepresent my posts. I am at a loss as to know what was atrocious about the references to my dad’s knowledge of Irish. Maybe you could enlighten me?

you seem to require a reverence around Irish that is not afforded to any other language. You need to lighten up.

what is verging on atrocious is you trying to hitch your experiences in Ireland to that of aboriginals. You need to get a touch of reality to your thinking.

• Advertisement

Bizarre. yet again that a part of Unionism thinks it can re-negotiate agreements on a whim. Agree to something and then try to winkle out of it.

The arrogance to stand up and ask people to 'convince them' of the worth of something they can barely hide their hate of.

The British (under pressure from agreements already made) have stated this will be legislated for and removed from the political football arena as a result. I expect they have a smidgen of respect/empathy left for Unionism and didn't want to do it in the Centenary Year.

Francie, you raise this agreement continually but you refuse to tell us how it will impact signage. I am sure everyone smells a rat.

I say again, you tell us something was agreed and it will be implemented sometime. Have some respect for yourself and either tell us how it will impact signage or tell us you have no idea or even have a guess.

if I was you I would have gone away and hid by now rather than keep repeating it

I never said anything about the legislation and road signage.

What I ACTUALLY said was that the legislation will usher in a whole raft of OTHER provisions to promote and preserve the native language of the country.

I also said this before - Dual Signage is happening by democratic agreement all over NI as we speak...Belfast council being the latest, No data exists on how much suffering/damage has been done by these signs that are already up.

Why don't you read the New Decade New Approach document instead of scaremongering about Unionism being forced to do stuff?

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

Francie every poster can see what you said no matter how much selective rehearsing you do.

you were very clear that consensus had been reached.

will you tell us all crystal clear then that nothing has been agreed on signage and that it is not a settled matter? That would put this to bed and we could discuss the issue more constructively

…or alternatively tell us all what has been agreed on signage?

Here is the 'consensus' that was reached downcow, that Unionist factions now want to step away from. Bold letters are mine...indicating that the parties signed up to New Decade New Approach. All of them did.

Consensus was reached with the political parities. The DUP have in fact re-iterated support for the NDNA agreement but still resist enacting legislation contained within it. So much so the SoS has threatened to introduce it above their heads...fact also.

If 'every poster' is seeing something other, then every poster has the same issue you have...they are in DENIAL too.

Rights, language and identity

25.The parties affirm the need to respect the freedom of all persons in Northern Ireland to choose, affirm, maintain and develop their national and cultural identity and to celebrate and express that identity in a manner which takes into account the sensitivities of those with different national or cultural identities and respects the rule of law. They also affirm the need to encourage and promote reconciliation, tolerance and meaningful dialogue between those of different national and cultural identities in Northern Ireland with a view to promoting parity of esteem, mutual respect, understanding and cooperation. These principles will be reflected in legislation. 26.The First Minister and deputy First Minister, supported by Junior Ministers in The Executive Office, will sponsor and oversee a new framework both recognising and celebrating Northern Ireland’s diversity of identities and culture, and accommodating cultural difference. 27.The framework will be underpinned by an affirmation of the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, while acknowledging and accommodating those within our community who define themselves as ‘other’ and those who form our ethnic and newcomer communities. It will comprise: a. An Office of Identity and Cultural Expression to promote cultural pluralism and respect for diversity, build social cohesion and reconciliation and to celebrate and support all aspects of Northern Ireland’s rich cultural and linguistic heritage. b. Legislation to create a Commissioner to recognise, support, protect and enhance the development of the Irish language in Northern Ireland and to provide official recognition of the status of the Irish Language in Northern Ireland. The legislation will also repeal the Administration of Justice (Language) Act (Ireland) 1737. c. Legislation to create a further such Commissioner to enhance and develop the language, arts and literature associated with the Ulster Scots / Ulster British tradition and to provide official recognition of the status of the Ulster Scots language in Northern Ireland. The legislation will also place a legal 16 duty on the Department of Education to encourage and facilitate the use of Ulster Scots in the education system. d. The main function of the Irish Language Commissioner will be to protect and enhance the development of the use of the Irish language by public authorities including by providing advice and guidance, and introducing, supporting and monitoring the use of best practice language standards. e. The main function of the further such Commissioner will be to enhance and develop the language, arts and literature associated with the Ulster Scots/ Ulster British tradition in Northern Ireland. f. A central Translation Hub will also be established in the Department of Finance within three months of an agreement, in order to provide language translation services for the 9 Executive Departments, Arm’s Length Bodies, Local Government and Public Bodies. g. The Assembly’s Standing Orders will also be amended to allow any person to conduct their business before the Assembly or an Assembly Committee through Irish or Ulster Scots. A simultaneous translation system will be made available in the Assembly to ensure that a person without Irish or Ulster Scots is not placed at a disadvantage. h. This legislation - including establishing the Office and both Commissioners - will be established as new dedicated parts of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. This is the legislation which implements the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement and subsequent agreements and establishes the Assembly and Executive in law. The enactment of these new Parts of the Northern Ireland Act will reflect the importance of these issues to people and society in Northern Ireland. i. The Office of Identity will provide funding streams and schemes, including publishing and broadcasting, small grants, events and tourism, exhibition and museum curation, built heritage, cultural education and tourism projects

Thanks for that. Very informative. I had not read it before.

I do think 90% of it is meaningless waffle and fudge, and not a mention of signage anywhere in it, which should tell us all we need to know about just how controversial that hot potato is.

I am no expert in NDNA, but you omit to say that this is a very tiny bit of it and unionists are asking for implementation in full. I realise that it’s all in the interpretation, but it would seem impossible to implement in full while goods are unable to travel from one part of our country to the other which seriously hampers east/west connections. So it would seem even that language fudge will be held up until the protocol is sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Back around to the protocol again. Don't you have another thread for discussing that?

FFS, I didn't omit anything. I referred you to the full document before, if you are too lazy to research it then that's on you.

The notion that you would pronounce to have knowledge of something without actually having read it is bizarre, reminds me of the Tory responsible for understanding the GFA not actually having read the GFA. Embarrassing.

Take the 'fudge' up with the SoS who will move to introduce Irish language legislation as he has threatened to do. There is no 'all or nothing clause' in NDNA. Point it out if there is.

How is your Ulster Scots downcow? I'd say that the vast majority of posters here would have at least a basic standard of Irish (even if they think they've forgotten it). Did you take it for your A-levels or did you have to learn it in extra curricular classes over the years, or did you pick it up at home?

I actually was going to come on to ask whether you'd prefer to see Chinese on signage rather than accurate historical Irish names for places. I think that post already answers it!

• Advertisement

For those who are not aware of what Brandon Lewis will introduce, here is the consensus reached in the NDNA deal.

Processing Legislation 5.22. The parties have agreed to legislate in respect of the core elements of the framework outlined above. 5.23. The Northern Ireland Act 1998 – as the core legislative vehicle which implements the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement and subsequent agreements – will be amended by the introduction and enactment of three Bills. Draft Bills will be officially published on the day of the formation of the Executive and presented to the Assembly for consideration within 3 months of the restoration of the institutions, as part of an integrated package of legislation that will pass through the legislative process simultaneously. The three Bills will make provision as follows: ● Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Amendment No 1) Bill To make provisions to establish the Office of Identity and Cultural Expression. ● Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Amendment No 2) Bill To make provisions for the Irish Language. ● Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Amendment No 3) Bill To make provisions to establish a Commissioner to enhance and develop the language, arts and literature associated with the Ulster Scots / Ulster British tradition in Northern Ireland. 37 5.24. The three Bills will share a common framework through linked references in each Bill to the principles set out in paragraph 5.2 above. It is intended that the Bills will be introduced as part of an integrated package of legislation, and accordingly no Bill should be regarded as independent from the other two. 5.25. Once enacted by the Assembly, the three Bills will amend the Northern Ireland Act 1998 by inserting the provisions as new, separate Parts. The Irish language provisions will form a new [Part X] of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. The provisions dealing with the second Commissioner will be inserted as [Part Y]; and provisions dealing with the Office for Identity and Cultural Expression as [Part Z]

It's comprehensive legislation which will remove much of this stuff from the political arena...which is a loss of control some factions are now having second thoughts about. New Decade Same Old Unionism.

Some very interesting stuff here on the background to the appearance of Ulster Scots as a 'thing' and just how recent it is.

Ulster Scots has the same linguistic authenticity as the language used by young lads that go around in little gangs calling everyone "fam"

Ulster Scots the language equivalent of people thinking they are smart for quoting "flying spaghetti monsterism" as an obstructive mechanism against anyone who want's to try to do something positive related to some actual religion.

Sure let’s pretend it doesn’t exist and that the largest party in no has said that while it is in its current form the it is impossible to implement the NDNA in full and therefore it would have to be cherry picked to bring in ILA. So direct link. But I am not going down that rabbit hole with you. The troops are mustering to get me banned 🙂.

Seems like I was right. If you go back to early in this thread you were leading everyone to believe that the Irish language was sorted by consensus. It took 7 pages before we discover that what you mean is you don’t have the first clue what impact this fudge would have on Irish signage, whenever, if ever, it is implemented.

so we are agreed that the is no consensus on whether Irish language signage will be going up. phew!

As asked and so far avoided...can you show the clause in NDNA which states it is all or nothing deal? Can you point to anything it has to say on the Protocol?

• Advertisement

Firstly Donald, I am not a big fan of funding be pumped into Ulster Scots language. Our communities are not symmetrical. I would suggest other aspects of Ulster Scots culture are much more important to our community like marching bands, bagpipes, drumming, Scottish dancing (and indeed to a smaller degree Irish dancing), our friendships with Scottish people, etc.

just on a side note, you will be hearing much more reference to ulster-British culture.

I would suggest that Ulster-Scots language is in use everyday by almost every person living here. Our English spake here is peppered with it, much more than I am aware of Irish words being used (except in the likes of place names).

the support I would like to see for ulster/Scots culture to compare with Irish language would be very practical ie support for music lessons, band uniforms and instruments and running costs, Hogmanay events and Burns nights, and indeed subsidy for ferry travel between ni and Scotland to ease travel costs. They are just some of the top of my head. Do that and I am sure most of my community would welcome similar support for Irish. As Francie says, no one should fear equality - and in this case equality will cost serious bucks for the Ulster Scots community to catch up on funding levels, not to mention the ulster British aspect developing. Maybe Europe would help 😳

The only place there will not be dual language signage will be where there is a pocket of dissent. Nobody is going to insist it be there, it will however be erected where there is majority agreement.

Dual signage has long ago started to be rolled out and is a continuing process, the latest being Belfast City Council

Belfast City Council gives green light to bilingual street signs - BBC News

I thought this quote from a DUP councillor hilariously lacking in awareness:

"Many people regard the addition of an Irish street sign as cultural branding of their area," 

The fact is, an area without dual language signage is an area that will brand itself culturally. If the two languages are represented then you cannot tell what an area is culturally...which is normal.

Is there anyone in the political sphere that has an issue with support for Ulster Scots downcow?

Can you quote them or point to them blocking legislation on it?

• The fact of the matter is Northern Ireland is a part of the island who’s proper language is Irish. We were forced to speak English by the British. It is our national language and as far as I’m concerned bi-lingual signage should be island wide, including the north.

if that’s a problem for anyone my advice would be to relocate to mainland UK. Leave the island if the language offends you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Afair Irish is supposed to be first and of at least equal size + the same visibility as English. I think Irish language signage is required for public bodies (not English, so either Irish or bilingual or else separate Irish and English signage). These were changes in the "Official Languges Act" (checked and that is from 2003, how time flies https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6bdcf-official-languages-act-2003/).

I do remember there was some small amount of controversy about aspects of that, because Irish was already present on street signs/other signage erected by public bodies etc. here and always had been (?) and extra requirements were criticised as bureaucratic & officious, making work and increasing costs.

Like most such minor aspects of government bureaucracy that don't affect people very much at the end of the day, I don't think anyone worries about it now (other than those who deal with it for their job or something) and it is just a fact of life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement