Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Yes. It is a daft rule at this point.

• Barrier to the single market.
    • Puts Irish people potentially at risk to significant costs in another EU MS.
    • May prevent people returning to jobs in Ireland or indeed taking up employment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Have a 2 night trip booked for barcelona early March. Have been living under a rock and didn't release despite the EU cert we now need to test before coming back. family of four plus with omicron being much more transmissible it's not worth the hassle, extra cost or risk for just two nights. Would risk it for a week plus trip but it makes a weekend trip unfeasible (for us anyway)

When these additional requirements were brought in was there a date specified for review? My fear is we've been so slow to let go of extra restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And lets not forget this was brought in a month ago to stop omicron coming in and now we're the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

looks like the UK are reviewing the pre departure test for entry rule at the moment but in the case of Ireland as all EU countries have adopted it - I'd say they won't review it for weeks. The added annoying thing is that alot of countries will allow for the covid recovery cert for entry but Ireland does not as you also need at least a negative antigen test to accompany it - rendering the recovery cert useless so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

All for the gov to be seen to be doing something and to deter Irish people coming home for Christmas, that's all it was. Likewise with restrictions, latest ones haven't worked and cases through the roof.

Someone or groups of people are making an absolute fortune from these PCR/Antigen tests. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we find out years down the line that members of NPHET or Gov have ties to Randox or similar. Anyway, that's a different conversation.

To answer your question, yes we should be. Who is best and I'd happily to do it today. Local TD's or anyone in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's actually a good idea. Even take an off the shelf antigen test before getting an official travel one to save some money.

• Recently I’ve booked two trips ahead, may have to be refunded/postponed/cancelled as per last year, but here’s hoping. Istanbul city break in March and short stay in Slovenia early May. I’m also long time back booked on an unusual west Europe expedition cruise in August, visiting the lesser known islands/places in England, France, Spain & Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Have all adopted it???

I know France haven't for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Sure I got a negative antigen test and it wasnt even checked. Nor was vaccination cert or locator.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I didn’t think Spain required a PCR/antigen test for entry either?

So every EU country requires a test for entry now on top of the covid cert? I’m so confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No they don't.

Ireland is the only one I know of.

France and Spain definitely don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Most don't. Other than Ireland, I think Portugal, Italy, Greece, Denmark and Austria require them. There may be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Came in mid December.

if your trip is 2 nights, you might be able to wrangle it so you do your PCR test before you go and have the results before you board the plane.

it makes no sense but it’s allowed. You have the costs of the tests but you know you will be able to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Do Ryan air ask for the antigen when boarding the plane to Ireland? Or are you only asked for it when you arrive home?

It was checked before boarding along with vaccine cert

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Flew to Alicante from Dub with Ryr last week, nothing checked in Dublin.

At Alicante, locator forms were scanned, no test needed. Staff very friendly with paper locator forms to be filled out if needed.

Heading home we did an antigen test at the airport the day before we left, took ten minutes results in 15 mins.

We were worried as we both had developed a dry cough, sore throat and headaches, we sort of had a plan if we had to stay.

The results as it turned out were negative so no need for plan B.

We flew back today with checked in bags. test form and locator checked at bag drop. Not scanned though.

We were given a slip of paper to get through the gate, anyone else with no bags was checked at the gate.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

If anyone is at Alicante airport looking for a test, it can be done at Eurofins one floor down in the departure terminal.

Costs 29 Euro and can be booked online.

No one looked for vaccine certs.

Funny thing about this pandemic, airports have become nicer places, with friendly smiling staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Has anyone who travelled over the past week or two to Austria know what they have accepted as proof of booster jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Apologies cudsy, only saw this now.

Yes, no issue. They asked to see it on check in (along with vaccination and Irish plf) but only glanced at it, Athens Airport was mad busy this morning.

Also passport control in Dublin airport asked to see the PCR and spend a few seconds inspecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Has anyone been to Austria recently? For proof of booster, would a letter from your GP be enough? As far as I know, the EU Covid pass has not been updated yet to take account of boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Theyve already been caught with the UK government so wouldn't be a shocker if they had something with the Irish government too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Had a few trips away in 2021 which were just what the doctor ordered (and in no way riskier than a trip to Bundoran, Kilkenny or Killarney).

The additional testing requirement is a balls pure and simple. Pointless to boot.

Most EU countries have not introduced this rule but a few have. Once continental Europe (with this handful of countries) get past the Omicron wave then I expect the testing requirement will be dropped. We'll probably be last but I would be surprised if it was still in place come the end of February.

Of course I hope our politicians realise the futility of the rule and it's gone sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

@ KayneSouth East "i have travelled abroad 5 times since July absolutely enjoyed every one of the trips Spain, Canaries, Greece. I or my wife haven’t got Covid. Loads of the curtain twitchers anti travel friends of mine tutting at us for travelling have got Covid whilst staying safe in Ireland. It’s absolutely hillarious really."

Brilliant point! I have travelled four times since June, mainly to Spain but once to Portugal and never got Covid either. While exactly like you, many tut tutters around me came down with it at home. Not being smug as anybody could get Covid but it just proves the point that anybody could catch Covid anywhere. The anti travel vibe is tiresome but also economically harmful and is just plain scapegoating.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

No nothing. Wasnt asked yesterday for anything but boarding pass and passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Came in from England yesterday and Ryanair checked for the relevant tests before boarding.

Nothing was checked in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

We have done 15 trips abroad last year, including two during Christmas/New Years period, fully vaccinated plus done a countless number of tests - never got Covid. We flew to New York for Christmas, came back on the 30th and flew to Krakow on 31st, came back yesterday. Obviously, we have done our pre/post departure tests - all negative.

From reading the news, Ireland was beating their own records in daily Covid cases and I can't help the feeling that if we had stayed here, we would have gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

In theory this testing should be removed, was brought in to limit omicron and that is now dominant and shown to be mild...and I see some new places like Malta are introducing it .... how can they justify it with what we know now ?

This is very worrying for the whole concept of open travel, even when covid is "gone" ... it will be so easy just to shut down borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Friends flew back to Canada yesterday, their connecting flight was cancelled so they are stuck in Toronto for a day, then a flight with a 6 hour layover and then one flight after that.

All due to staff shortages...I fly tomorrow, the old anxiety is creeping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Advertisement