Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I just relieved M&S in Omni of three boxes of mince pies. At 70c I box, I couldn't resist! The shops near me had all been cleared out of the all butter ones before Christmas, so I didn't get a chance to stock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As we pack away the decorations and I survey the sudden vastness of the house which reflects the increased size of my waist we're debating whether or not to get a takeaway to close out our 2021 Christmas holidays... What you reckon, one last blow out or start being sensible?

I suspect I know which way this will go however😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m getting a takeaway tonight my last hurrah before going back to work. I say join us!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I brought the dog for a walk yesterday evening and collected a take away on the way home. I'm having the leftovers for dinner today, too! 😋

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Picked up two today. €2 for nearly 350g of galaxy is v good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Takeaway for us too can’t wait 😋

No Galaxy in an Aldi near me lots of faux fur Christmas stocking, light up garlands, light up foliage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love left over Indian order too much and have some for the next day 👌

• Advertisement

Chinese on the cards this evening OH gone to collect it

Indian ordered and on the way, just about to crack open a pale ale to go with it. Have decided my Christmas diet shall continue for the duration of our isolation period!

We're all doing grand tbh. Missing getting out for fresh air but other than that all good.

Chinese demolished just here and now.

Got one Christmas Eve and now tonight. Nice way to bookend the Christmas season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

A friend dropped over a homemade lasagne for us today so just had that with some salad. It was very nice of her to drop it to and it was actually lovely. Not quite a takeaway but still food that was delivered 😂

I always find food that’s been cooked for you tastes better less effort in it 😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Talking about food, I've been making pot after pot of sweet and sour caramelised onions and onion marmalade.

I used to use baby onions (not the ones you pickle, the ones I mean would be the size of baby potatoes and are flattish - they're both sharp and sweet at the same time and are ideal for this), but since I couldn't find them for love or money I used smallish organic red onions. The first round I left them whole - they turned out gorgeous, they looked like jewels, but the sugars didn't caramelise enough in the centre so the flavour, while good, had some room for improvements. The next pot I did I chopped them in halves or quarters, depending on how big they were, and they turned out divine, although they lost some of their shape. I ate two nets of them in two days... Then, when I made them again, I decided to slice them in 8 segments, so although they lost their shape completely they absorbed more of the juices. I was left with a purple/ruby pot of caramelised onion slivers. Divine. I've been eating them with Cashel Blue cheese (courtesy of Lidl) on toast. They're soooo delicious! If I get a roll of pastry (puff or shortcrust), I'll make some tartlets with it, but I'd say they'd be to die for as a filling for crêpes, too.

The idea was to fill a few jars and give them as a present to friends, but I don't think they'll last that long... I'll post some pics later, if I can shrink the photos on my phone. I'll definitely be making them again.

Sounds fab @New Home - maybe you could post the recipe too as this is something I'd love to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

...and me...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No problem - it's the easiest thing ever, but I've a disclaimer: the balance of the ingredients is vital - you have to keep tasting it to make sure it's ok, then adjust the ingredients, one at a time, so see if the taste improves. It can go from disgusting/disappointing to heavenly in no time at all.

So, here we go.

The ingredients are:

• Onions - those of the "Borettane" variety are the very best, they're usually the size of an Oreo biscuits, but like I said I used small organic red onions I got in Supervalu (the label reads 40-55mm, but I'd say they were closer to 40mm - I think the variety is Red Baron). If, like me, you can't get the Borettane ones, then I'd recommend cutting them in segments to allow the cooking juices to be absorbed fully. I used about 1.5 kilos of onions.
    • White sugar (6-8 tablespoons)
    • White wine vinegar - it must be white wine and it must be good quality, but do not use malt, apple or balsamic vinegar. (about 100-150mls)
    • Cinnamon (about a tablespoon or two) - this is a must - it makes all the difference and when mixed with the onion juice you'll be hard pushed to recognise its flavour.
    • Salt (without overdoing it, use a decent amount, don't skimp: it makes a massive difference)
    • Water
    • A spoonful of sunflower oil (but I've cooked them without it and I can't say I miss it)

Peel, wash and chop the onions in segments. Arrange them in a large, shallow casserole in a single layer if you can - a wok or a frying pan won't do as they won't be flat).

Cover them completely with cold water, add vinegar, sugar, salt and cinnamon, cover with a loose fitting lid and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to the minimum setting and let it simmer away, ever so slowly, for a good couple of hours at least, but the longer you cook them the better they turn out. If you like, you can use a pyrex dish and bake them instead, but it has to be a low heat. You can remove the lid towards the end to help reduce the cooking juices.

Like I said, this is where it gets tricky - while they're cooking, the onions can taste too bland (add sugar, salt, vinegar and cinnamon), too sweet (add salt and cinnamon), not sharp enough (add vinegar). Cook until all the water has reduced almost completely and the onions are very, very, very soft and either have a gorgeous caramelised colour (if you use the borettane ones) or are glossy and coated by hint of syrupy juice if you make a marmalade. When they get are ready, if you think the taste is still off, add a little bit of boiling water and add whichever of the ingredients you think is missing, then let evaporate again.

If you're using the Borettane onions (or even the small, whole red onions), try not to stir them, but make sure they don't stick. With the "marmalade"/shards, stir to your heart's content, it won't make much of a difference.

This is what you get if you use the Borettane onions (pic I got from the web, they look a bit squashed):

These are what I got using whole onions:

and using the segments (the colour was less dull yesterday, but the flavour is still excellent).

You can also add one bay leaf, and/or some raisins towards the end, but I don't find either necessary.

Next time I make them I'll take pics of each of the steps and try and measure the ingredients more precisely, but a lot depends on the variety and flavour of the onions.

thanks so much for that @New Home. i think they would be delicious on a cheeseboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

was in ALDI this am and loads of boxes of sweets left,... i am mean looooads.. all the usual suspects bar Roses strangely enough.. sorry, I didn't note the price.. lots of QS... I was surprised.. but like others have said., v disappointed with sweets this year.. so didn't get any..

Ending the season off right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

We're having the last of the mince pies here!😀

Have a dozen in the freezer. Love a mince pie with some ice cream in the summer!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

That mint chocolate is the business, found 2 bars reduced to €2.50 each in Tesco, could feel they were broken but didn't care!

• Advertisement

They’re so good. We stocked up and bought 3 over the season making our way through number 2 now.

Advertisement