Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

I don't think the partying of the County final can be used as an excuse. The Co final replay was 3 weeks ago, and Cole spoke in the Celt that they were fully focused for the game and played challenge games.

Kilcoos pace and movement was on another level. They are a well conditioned team. They hammered Kingscourt in 2015, https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1101/738858-kingscourt-v-kilcoo/

They have been around a good while, lost a few Ulster finals before getting over the line in 201,9 but they will face tougher tests then Ramor. They play the winnners of Watty Grahams/Scotstown in Semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Any word if new faces around the Cavan camp this year. I still believe of we can get the best players for each position in the panel we can compete with anyone bar Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry and Mayo.

That's a big enough claim in fairness. There is decent players in Cavan and a few can be very good like Sean McEvoy if he sticks at it. Oisin Brady is a good player.

But the reality is Cavan have had 3 consecutive relegation. The underage teams are performing poorly. U20s were hammered by Down. Senior club champions beaten by 11 pts.

The only way is up. Hopefully Denn and Butlersbridge can reach ulster finals .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any word of any league fixtures being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

I believe Cavan are away to Leitrim in the first round of the league , I don’t know any other fixtures.

I wonder what the panel will be this year?, any chance of ciaran brady been back for the league? Shame about paddy Meade I was hoping he would nail down a spot for the coming year a powerful player, hopefully James smith will be back as good as ever he was a huge loss last year.

Tyrone and Armagh in the McKenna Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

A right hammering for Butlersbridge in the Ulster Semi Final unfortunately.

Their defence is too open. They got lucky against An Riocht in the first half .they missed 3 good goal chances, scored 2 in the second half.

Today the defence was badly exposed against better opposition

• Advertisement

Listening to the radio coverage today, the keeper Sheridan had made a couple of point blank saves already before they conceded the first goal.

Fitzpatrick will be quick to remind everyone now he said that they were weak in defence.

Denn are kicking this game away. 8 or 9 wides and 3 or 4 dropped short. Very disappointing if they lose this game. Drawn game at half time 1-2 to 0-05.

Great win for Denn. They were very wasteful in the first half and should have been been ahead, but were more composed in the second half. Some great performances by Cavell Keoghan, Caolainn McCabe, Gaffney and O Reilly in midfield., James Brady and Oisin Kiernan,

They play the London Champions in a few weeks.

Corr fielded some great ball

Cavan begin the McKenna Cup away to Armagh on Janurary 6th https://t.co/X1vKJPN6ck

Denn comfortably the better side. They had 17 wides I think it was and 5-6 dropped short. They won the game by 7 points but I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say they easily should have won it by 15+. Downings I think had at most 3-4 wides.

I’ve watched club football in other counties and I honestly think Denn looked in better shape than senior teams I’ve seen in other provinces.

There is good pace in the Denn team and lot of power. They mainly run the ball, Downings tactic was to hit O Connor inside , he was isolated a lot of the time. He played Minor and U21 with Donegal. Johnny McCroddy the number 2 playing at half forward was good also. Kicked 4 good points from play. Only 18, playing Minor last year with Donegal.

Denn were much the better team, though Downings didn't help themselves when Mcbride was sent off in the first half.

Armagh game apparently in Breffni on Thursday the 6th now.

Any word coming out of county panel? Any new faces? Anyone stepped down.

I see David Philips is named in the Sligo panel for tonight's FBD game against Leitrim. He could possibly face Cavan in the League.

What cavan club did he play with?

• Advertisement

He played for Gowna

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is Ray Cole gone from Ramor and Kevin McDonnell back to Lavey? Would McDonnell not have been interested in the Ramor job.

Nevin O Donnell half forward for Leitrim. David Philips half back for Sligo..

Cole left Ramor alright and McDonnell is with Lavey again. McDonnell was with Ramor before so not sure if he’d go back - saying that, he has gone back to Lavey! He had signed up with them before the Ramor news came out.

I wouldn’t imagine Sean McEvoy will play with Cavan this year. Think he could be doing his leaving but he’s off to America on a soccer scholarship then. Big loss to Cavan & Ramor.

He will be a huge loss for Ramor and would love to see him in the panel at a county level this year to give him more game time. Best of luck to the young lad, he's supremely talented at both sports and we can only hope to see him in the blue sooner rather than later.

Any idea on whether the McKenna cup games will be streamed?

And news that Pat Spillane Jr going to play for Sligo. Seen him play for Judes, he's very impressive.

Jeez that would be a trek for him... He looked good in the semi final but wasn't that hot in the final,

He definitely will be a huge loss, he is the type of player with pace that can take on his man and score that Cavan need another one in Australia in dara mcaveety, which I was hoping would be back for Cavan this year but doesn’t look like we will see him in blue again which is very unfortunate

Interview with Graham in the Celt lists the new names: Ryan O Neill (Kildallan), Cian Madden (Gowna), Jack McKenna and Paul Smith (Laragh), Evan Finnegan and Thomas Smith (Ballinagh) and Lorcan Hammond (Kill).

Great to see the two Laragh lads involved, no doubt about their ability at club level and hopefully in time that can translate into county. O' Neill from Kildallan had a great season and whilst its a step up from Junior, best to give him a chance and see what he can do.

• Advertisement

Good to see Cian madden in, he was a very good minor in 2017 when Cavan reached all Ireland semi final, it’s a pity paddy Meade is out for the year with injury I was hoping he would be pushing for a starting place a powerful player, hopefully cormac timoney and cormac OReilly push on now and like Oisin brady and Cian reilly put their hand up .

Advertisement