Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycled to my PCR test. Felt like crap on the way back. Only a 9km round trip. Been so long since I had a cold, that even if that's all it is, I forgot how tiring they can be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I genuinely need to listen to that advise, I am stupidly competitive and find it hard to turn my back on a race, sprint, etc.

Close the gap? Don't mind if I do! 😍

Yeah, I think I'll take a look at their training plans and work up to a sub 1h Alp Du Zwift, climbing has always been my weak point, heavy as I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Got kitted up and took bike out of shed at parent's house to go for cycle. Forgot i had removed pedals a few weeks back and hadn't brought the replacement pedals over.

Put bike back in the shed. Looked for the box of celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Easy, short 40 min loop with my new overshoes. 16km, just 8 more to reach 2,000km for the year. (aiming for 3k next year)

Began with earbuds, listening to Draft Animals but took them out as I prefer the peace & listening to nature/surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Few hours in the wet today. Bellewstown, Stanullen, almost Skerries and back.

Really enjoyed it depite the soaking. Stupidly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Had to go out to Greystones from Sth Dublin to collect something from a shop there. Up the Main Street of Bray and over Bray Head. Same way back.

34kms @ a turkey/beer influenced 21km/h. Glorious day out, like a spring day. Didn't see too many cycling but plenty of traffic into Bray and between Bray and Greystones.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed out for a spin this afternoon around Ardclough to get kenover the 10000km line. Managed 33kms at 29.8km/h.

The temperature for New Year's Eve was lovely so I headed out in shorts and a (boards) jersey & base layer.

Again, several close passes where drivers couldn't be arsed crossing all the way over the white line. Hopefully 2022 sees an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Out for errands today (to the DHL drop off point past Kilshane cross), decided to take the long route home by Ballyboughil, lovely day out, almost felt overdressed. Garmin mis-behaved with the elevation number. When I got home I was looking through stats (which I don't normally do) on Strava and Im 70km short of 100,000km cycling since mid 2012 (when I started). Just over 12K for this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

almost felt overdressed

yep, i was out in shorts and a lightish long sleeved top and was perfectly comfortable. today was a degree or two off the warmest NYE on record here (and broke that record in the UK).

Was out before 8am so went with bib tights. Was so mild.

Dirty headwind for the first half then nice spin home

80km, must check the kph and elevation gain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took a spin out to howth with my wife, she'd never been out that way before (along the clontarf path) and absolutely loved it. she also loved the benefits of her e-bike on the cycle back into probably 40km/h headwinds; i found myself sheltering behind her at times...

lovely morning for it though.

60km this morning for 27kph and 330m elevation gain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First spin this year for me, just 40k with 750m of climbing today taking in Berryfield lane, Killegar and Glencullen. Very blowy and a rather hairy descent coming down Cruagh road with heavy gusts in a squall. Been off the bike over Christmas and felt the full effects of festive overindulgence!

Started tye new year yesterday with an FTP test, getting excused out of the way... I haven't slept properly in 3 weeks, I haven't had time for more than 30 minutes on my bike at a time and I had herself distracting me at the upper end of the ramp, which made me accidentally push about 40 extra watts while she was talking to me, leading to me to burn out early. Fun.

So, I'm following Zwifts workout plans while on new dad duty and I plan to do an FTP test on the first of every month to track progress.

Did 168 @ 92kg which is 1.82W/KG. I want to bring this right up and improve climbing, that's the plan for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

70k in east Kildare with my (obviously favourite) daughter.

Tosach maith, leath na hoibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

72km with 771m of climbing up around Rathnew, Rathdrum, Laragh, Roundwood and home. Last time I depend on the weather forecast app on the phone. Went out without anything waterproof. Rain came down very heavily around the hour mark for 30/40min and I remained very wet until I peeled off the layers at home. Very enjoyable all the same and not one single close pass or d**khead driver.

the roads were actually eerily quiet this morning. it was great.

Same yesterday.

Spun up Bellewstown. No cars about

Well done. Are you doing the 10-12 week plan? I did the full thing, starting at week 3 and just finished before Xmas.

Yep, doing the back to fitness one at the moment and I plan on working my way through the rest of them too.

Really enjoying it right now, I find it hard to get the time for longer ride in the best of times, never mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Check weather app 1 - dry and blowy. Check

Check weather app 2 - dry and blowy. Check

Check weather app 3 - dry and blowy. Check

Cycled out of estate. Pi*sed on almost immediately for an hour. Next time i'll just look out the window beforehand instead. Thoroughly enjoyable spin though as so few cars about. Kept it short as only getting over Covid (nothing more than cold-like for me thankfully). Well, that's my excuse for a lack of speed. Too much cake and beer might also just have contributed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Where was this rain?

Now granted I only went out for 45 minutes after 4, and only to get milk so took it as a chance to test the cinelli and campag but only seemed to have spots of rain in Dublin. Got lots of garden work done

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

From Bray to Ashford and in as far as Roundwood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

65 km round through killeter forest. Tough day in the wind and rain.

Yeah, the rain earlier seemed to track across Kilkenny from the SW and didn't get any further north than south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

see the 'images of beauty' thread.

Did the opposite spin today but in the dry.

Julianstown, Stamullen, Balrothery, Man O War, Stamullen, Bellewstown and back down to the sea.

Stamullen to Bellewstown must be the handiest way up onto the hill. Even in today's fairly stiff headwind.

Enjoyed it more today in the dry and with company.

About 55k with 550m and an easy going 25kph

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Guessing they're all down my neck of the woods. Lunch time spin up Cruagh, Foxes and back via Kilternan and the Enniskerry road was very busy with big tail backs at Marlay park. Not quite as blowy today thankfully, but still slow going for me. 23k with 400m climbing at just 19kph.

• Advertisement

First and only spin of the Christmas period this morning. We had Covid in the house and we all got very upset stomachs with it so didn't eat for about three days and was very weak. Isolation period ended yesterday and got out first thing this morning. Muscles were sore and there was no power in the legs but met the brother and it was nice to get out on a dry if windy morning.

Nothing to report other than some oddball in hi-vis walking against the traffic in the hard shoulder of a main road. We had a tailwind and were approaching at pace but it was clear your man was going to hold the centre of the hard shoulder and force us out into the traffic instead of stepping aside for five seconds. We had no choice but to stop and let him past. He didn't look like a reasonable person so we said nothing and went on our way.

Overall, 82km with 850 climbing at 28.5kph. Muscles are sore and I'm bate now.

Advertisement