Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

First comment: I left out the word negligible. And I did a following risk assessment of how they weren’t comparable.

Second comment: was a joke, I couldn’t resist the Dougal Maguire big red button imagery.

Third comment: I was responding to your scenario of the unconscious person. Then you threw in there in afterwards about rescue teams etc. (changing factors)

Great advert for boosters: “it won’t kill you”

So, for example, your third comment is not a joke and therefore you're acknowledging that you hadn't considered rescue teams until after I mentioned it? Otherwise, what is the purpose of this comment? If you're unconscious and the car is on fire, and if this is a serious comment, what does it highlight exactly? It seems to me that you thought the only possibility to escape in that situation was to "Houdini" your way out, and not be rescued by others, which is odd.

Anyway, you're either 1) making a lot of silly statements, 2) replying to my questions with jokes, or 3) a combination of the above. In any case, you're not giving me any good reasons to have a conversation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement

Honestly, car on fire, unconscious. Rescue team ain’t getting there quick enough. Let’s hope you’re in a built up area with a hero among us.

Have you ever been in an engineering design meeting? Do you write down every mis-quote from your peers and try to steer the conversation back to that? Do you therefore try to stifle debate?

Or, do you try to look around the room and listen to peoples’ core message to try to find the way forward?

Do you act differently in real life vs. an Internet forum? Bravery.

Honestly, car on fire, unconscious. Rescue team ain’t getting there quick enough. Let’s hope you’re in a built up area with a hero among us.

Eh, what? The last sentence is quite clearly what I was referring to. I do not mean that police arrive and pull you out alive ten minutes after you've been on fire. Another odd statement on your behalf, and one I don't think you can claim is a joke this time.

So, you're admitting then that if you're car is on fire and you're unconscious, the best chance of survival that you could think of at the time was to somehow Houdini your way out rather than be rescued by someone nearby. A very interesting thought process for an engineer.

Have you ever been in an engineering design meeting? Do you write down every mis-quote from your peers and try to steer the conversation back to that? Do you therefore try to stifle debate? Or, do you try to look around the room and listen to peoples’ core message to try to find the way forward?

No, I instead respond to questions with answers rather than jokes. Or I admit that my stance is wrong, rather than backtrack, so we can move on.

Do you act differently in real life vs. an Internet forum? Bravery.

No, I call out falsehoods in both situations, and I call out people who try to hide from their falsehoods in both situations also.

Lets summarise our boring debate; the readers are well aware that you AND I both agree that seat belts can kill. My comments to the contrary only resulted in a stifling of the debate (by your obsession) despite my admittance to your analysis being correct.

Yet you want something more from me. You want my blood on a plate. I can’t give you that, I’m sorry. So your conclusion is that I’m not worthy of a seat in your echo chamber. Cool.

Ignoring my questions when you can't answer them again.

Too bad I'm unconscious in the car and, you know, on fire.

But if your unconscious then your not going to performing a Houdini escape, seat belt or not.

Clearly, you hadn't considered the possibility that someone could rescue you when you made this response which, as you say, was not a joke response.

It's a very strange thing that you didn't consider that, specifically as an engineer, but it's even stranger that, dozens of posts later, you're still trying to make out that you didn't make such a mistake.

As you said, we are both on the same side, and everyone makes mistakes, so why not just admit that you messed up so that we can return to the topic at hand?

Someone earlier pointed out that I didn't make it clear that I was talking hypothetically in a particular post, and I admitted straight away that they were right and that I should have made it clearer. It was my mistake, no big deal.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You are contributing greatly to the boredom unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How many more pages of this tit for tat bullshit am I going to have to scroll through?

It looks like the guy has now taken the "I'll just stop replying because I'm not man enough to admit my mistake" approach, so no more hopefully.

Don't forget about the report button if you think our pedantic tangent was too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Good lord. What nonsense am I reading? I believe you are firmly included in the reference to tit for tat bullshit. Only came and logged in and looked for a booster thread to ask if anyone had answers I had about the 5-11 announcement. Seatbelts and other sorts of rubbish, anger issues aplenty.

There's a report button if tangents bother you, and neither of us were the ones who brought up the seatbelt analogy. You don't need to read back on posts if you want to ask a question.

I apologise to every other user because I am really regretfully adding another post to this debacle.

You need a mirror, man. People don’t post for hours/days/weeks for many reasons, usually important ones involving living in the real world.

*probably.

I am currently planning to wait til March or thereabouts. The current vax pass should stay valid until then, and I recall some talk about a more variant-specific booster. Seems best not to overload my immune system if not necessary.

Notes: my covid risk is probably about population-average.

How would getting a booster overload your immune system?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I presented my extensive safety and efficacy internet research to my son and asked him what he wanted to do. He looked at me like I had two heads and said "eh, would you not just ask a GP?".

So I did, and he said "go for it, three months gap is fine".

I mean.. too much of anything within a short time period doesn't seem like a good idea ya know? The original shots are still protecting me against severe disease as far as I know. Sounds like plenty of people have been getting pretty sick from the boosters; would like to avoid that as much as possible. The reduction in transmission from the boosters seems pretty minimal, considering how many people are getting diagnosed every day. I am neither elderly nor immuno-compromised. The current variant seems mild enough where just the original shots should do the job. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Absolutley no-one I know who has got the booster felt sick from taking at all (and that's a large group of people)

Recommendation: get the booster ...

• Advertisement

too much of anything within a short time period doesn't seem like a good idea ya know?

Babies are exposed to thousands of pathogens each month that their immune system is not accustomed to. This would just be one additional exposure that gets lost in the shuffle.

There is no evidence of immune system overload, or cytokine storm as it is medically referred to, associated with vaccines. Cytokine storm is however associated with organ failure in people who are unvaccinated or immuno compromised when infected with Covid.

Vaccines help your immune system to target the Covid virus in your body when you are infected, reducing symptoms and lessening the risk of you becoming seriously ill. They do not prevent you from catching Covid. The mild omicrone variant will not be the last.

What you should be looking at is the number of infections verses the number of hospitalisations, even though over a hundred thousand have been infected recently, hospitalisations have not spiked, yet anyway. This may be due to a combination of the milder variant, and the high rate of vaccination.

Inform yourself, it really is crazy stupid that people think vaccines can overload immune systems or that vaccines prevent any risk of infection.

I have informed myself, thanks, and made my decision based on that information.

Your information about immune overload and transmission is clearly un-informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There is 1 common denominator. Constant silly arguing. Ruins threads.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I got the moderna booster on new years day....i was very weak yesterday and still ropey today.....i will say that i havent felt as run down for as long as i can remember....

I also have a young family, so i cant just take to the bed for a couple of days to ride it out which is what i would love to do....this also adds to the exhaustion i suppose...

I have heard of many people having ill effects after taking the moderna vaccine....

If i had known what it was going to do, i wouldnt have taken it...i would have preferred the Pfizer, which is what i originally got....

I am just giving my experience, I am not telling anyone what to do...

...its your choice.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

My wife and I were both double dosed with Pfizer, got the Moderna booster and it floored us the next day, fever, cold sweats, ached all over and wrecked tired. Have heard a LOT of people who got the Moderna booster had similar symptoms.

Lasted 24 hours and gone as quick as it came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Missed you post before posting mine. Same situation. There’s a line of information that mixing the vaccines can promote a stronger immune response and additionally that a strong reaction can mean again a stronger immune response so as much my wife and I felt like balls, we’re happy enough to have got it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if we can say to the registration person in a HSE centre what vaccine we want? Seems to be the last time it was determined for me.

Advertisement