Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Mmmhmm well transmission in the general population in Ireland was practically zero in April 2020 per Philip Nolan. Whether your guy was advocating for letting it rip or not - it’s still useful information as to what would the trajectory of the virus be with no mitigation measures. Science needs a baseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Watching the news there and they had a segment on hospitals being very busy etc. Exact same thing we've seen in the news every winter for as long as I can remember.

- people on trolleys,

- elective surgery cancelled,

- surge capacity,

- winter flu season etc.

We've seen this every year. But now it's acceptable government policy to close and restrict elements of our economy, we have teacher unions screaming for delay in school opening etc.

This from 2018 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can confirm I was on a Trolley for 3 days back in early November after an emergency admission and a further 6 days in a ward. The care I received, excellent but the Trolley situation nothing new .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unfortunately the India data isn't that trustworthy and is believed to undercount deaths and cases significantly (which means it can't really be used to prove things either way).

Even ourselves, data from the last 2 weeks will be unreliable due to the high positivity rate and lack of testing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

No lad I'm trying to get another week off work to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The same lad was insisting that the economy was running as normal and that we weren’t heavily restricted when we were in full level 5 lockdown with the 2km travel limits.

I believe 1.2 million people were claiming the PUP at the time. But nope, apparently everything was mostly normal and people needed to cop on and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Let us look at our own data there for a moment.

Due you think that the numbers we publish every day for almost 2 years are in any way accurate?

Our testing is totally random - but not in a statistically good way.

You have a bucket with people coming from GP referrals.

You have a bucket with people coming random from the street into test centre.

Another bucket has people looking to confirm their positive antigen test.

Another bucket of people who get periodically tested at work/uni/school.

And so on.

So every day you have a mixture of biased and unbiased data. On top of that throw in the constant up- and downscaling of testing. For a highly transmissive virus with an unknown but very high number of asymptomatic cases.

At no time did we know the true incidence. Just some number we call incidence but its really nothing resembling the meaning of the word. At no time did we know how many people had it on any given day. At no time did we know the percentage of people getting sick. At no time did we know the percentage of people dying. Hell 2 years into this and we still dont know how many are asymptomatic even. We know **** all. After 2 years.

Never mind 'knowing' what works or not in terms of restrictions.

The only conclusion that makes sense is we dont/didnt want to know. Cos the only other explanation would be that we are amateurish/stupid beyond belief.

And you're telling me here the last 2 weeks may be unreliable? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If we don’t ride this out and open the schools as normal, it’ll open the floodgates. Based on previous patterns, when the schools close, so does everything else shortly after.

If we can’t make it through this wave with this many vaccinated and boostered, without closing the schools AGAIN, we’re f*cked.

It would be reliable enough until the testing capacity ran out (remember that the modelling has an estimate for actual cases based on positivity rate not the daily reported data), India data would be far more unreliable thus harder to make a conclusion with, whereas comparing European countries is more likely to give an accurate comparison. It will be interesting to see what gets marked as excess deaths for India in 2021 and how they break that out month on month, which may give a truer picture (I'm unfamiliar with how accurate this would be seen as normally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

This. Schools dont open its as good as lockdown. Also if they dont this thing will carry on for another 6 months rather than 2 months.

I doubt the government will fold though. Hopefully Norma Foley stands firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Breaking it out monthly would do everything BUT give a more accurate picture. These monthly and in some cases weekly 'excess mortalities' are just attempts at bending the data to suit one's views.

Its like me saying my mortgage is €1200 a day. Which is true on the first Monday every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100%

We've never actually exited those two weeks that we were told would flatten the curve..

It's 2022 now. Regressing again on schools means that there's no real ambition to get out of this.

It doesn't do anything except give the tools to map it for proper analysis, by year would be dumb as it doesn't take into account when lockdowns and restrictions are enforced and then lifted (e.g. lockdown in Ireland caused lower than average deaths in 2020, but monthly analysis shows peaks in excess deaths for March-May when the pandemic started and then Jan-Feb of 2021 when we last tried to reduce restrictions in Wintertime).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are the teachers looking to make up the school time later in the term?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

They will forgo their mid term

break or 2 weeks at Easter….😂😂

Intriguing article about minutes of a private meeting where CMO confirms communicating the message on moving to antigen testing would be difficult for NPHET having been against Antigen Testing from day one.

There's some Irony in what appears to be extraordinary absenteeism caused by self isolating requirements.

If government restrictions didn't curtail you, Self isolating rules will 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They need to get over themselves, they're human and they get things wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But they don’t think of themselves as human. Demigods.

And yet they've already been proven wrong many times, strange that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

More worried about their image than the health of the nation.

Its also because of NPHET that the government are only talking about rolling out hepa filters in schools now, NPHET said they weren't needed. Tony probably told them washing their hands would be more effective.

For any business looking to fight COVID rules in the future simply quote this case where the fine was €100 for selling non-essential items during a lv5 lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I am far from being a hyperventilating left wing extremist authoritarian, but from your jumping through hoops on the GBD financed and promoted by the American Institute for Economic Research, a group from their "research" on sweatshops and their climate change denial where they state "There is no convincing scientific proof that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other hothouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth`s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth`s climate."I believe safe to describe AIER are a right wing libertarian well financed group affiliated to similar world wide. A description that would also seem to fit your views from your attempts at defending them.

Where have you not seen my criticism of the GBD. ?

I have shown where the financier and promotor`s "Senior Fellow" has published under their name such "scientific" facts that the spread of Covid declines to nearly zero after 70 days no matter where in the world it occurs, and declared that John Ioannidis immunity claims on immunity through infection had been confirmed as correct. Anybody capable of simple multiplication can see why that one has been totally debunked. I have also pointed out that the GBD was nothing other than the BS that herd immunity was achievable via infection where any that chased it failed to achieve it, not for the least of reasons being their own seroprevalence studies showed it was unachievable, and anywhere that believed they had achieved, it such as Amazonas (who actually based their belief on a seroprevalence report) and India were just kidding themselves.

Just in case you haven`t worked it out from what I have said, the GBD is a pot of piss financed and promoted by a very dodgy outfit with deep pockets in pursuit of their own agenda rather than anything for the benefit of mankind in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Has any mention been made yet of how many people have received the booster?

Curious to know If it's anywhere near the original vaccination rate, and whether or not they have a certain percentage in mind that will allow them to lift restrictions (other than 100% that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No clue about restrictions being linked to booster uptake, but 2.18mil boosters out of 3.83mil (about 57% uptake so far)

I'm not sure on the % of eligible people as boosters are not approved for kids yet.

The mention of India, and Amazonas for that matter was in relation to this GBD, which was nothing other than a promotion of the herd immunity through infection idea. Both those believed they had achieved that but were sadly very wrong as subsequent events showed. Nothing to due with case curves and even now with even more infections than when they believed they had achieved it, unless I missed it, I haven`t seen either claim they have since.

• Advertisement

I have not the vaguest idea what you are saying.

The article was written in September 2020 that stated that the spread of Covid declined close to zero after 70 days no matter where in the world it occurred. What that has to do with April 2020 and Philip Nolan I have no idea. There was no scientific basis to establish a baseline as it was nothing other than baseless speculation as Covid spread has not declined close to zero within 70 days which for all intents and purposes it would have meant it would have disappeared long before now. Rather than countries reporting their highest numbers of infections since this pandemic began.

Advertisement