Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

They haven't, though.

At one point in the past, the Catholic Church argued that the Earth was the centre of the universe. Galileo disproved the idea by showing that the Earth was simply one orb, of many orbs, that circumnavigated the Sun.

At the time and subsequent to it, it was deemed heresy to claim - even if 19 times or 190 times - that the Earth wasn't the centre of the universe.

The same principle applies here.

We are met with a similarly religious belief and sometimes it requires smashing home that the facts are the facts - and it doesn't matter if you state the facts 19 times or 190 times or 1.9 million times; the facts are the facts.

The Earth isn't the centre of the universe. Young Earth Creationism isn't true. And biological males can never become women.

But if you believe that the more times you say the truth, it becomes false; you're welcome to that belief.

I, and almost everyone reading this, happen to take a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Yes they have now.

Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have.

Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have. Yes they have.

You're in an arms race now.

I happen to take a different opinion

No you don't. Never, ever, ever, ever, etc....

Finally the thread gets interesting.. what will the next move be, I wonder??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Planned Parenthood, not the kind of people I'd put down as being 'gender critical'

'A person with XY chromosomes usually has male sex and reproductive organs, and is therefore usually assigned biologically male.'

The term biological sex seems to be used throughout the literature if the wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why do you imagine he is a bigot?

He might just not subscribe to your theological/ideological position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

be female

female

of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes.

If you can't express your point with at least 26 always/never evers for emphasis, your argument is invalid.

I won't be taking any questions, as it was someone else who made the rules.

They have offered nothing more than "the feel it very very very very very deep down that it's wrong".

Struggle to define basic concepts and asked several times why they feel a certain way (but never able to say why.

They also incorrectly use vaguely scientific sounding terms in a frankly piss poor attempt to gain credibility (and as always unable to use actual science to back up any points that they themselves make.. which is a rare enough feat in itself). It's a bit like scattering the words theological or ideological into a post in a similarly piss poor attempt to belittle opposing opinions.

Very basic, very transparent and fools noone really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

This is a post empty of value, but crammed with indignation.

You've clearly lost the argument. You know that there are only two biological sexes. You know that a biological male can never become a woman. You know it, you know you do. But because you're so invested in the belief that you want it so much to be true, you'll do anything - no matter what it takes, no matter what suspension of your critical faculties it takes - to make your belief fit reality.

It's no different to the Holy Trinity, or any other aspect of a religious-type culture.

The belief will always be made to fit.

Anyone who disagrees with the belief must, by definition, be a hateful, horrible, evil person who must be punished via social and professional ostracism; the modern day version of what they used to call scapegoating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"biological male":

as opposed to:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You are awfully fond of telling other people what they really really really really deep deep deep (x infinity) believe and now apparently you are an expert on what people know 🤔

When you can't go for the ball, go for the man.

It usually means the man is onto something right.

It's a standard move, we all expect it; a feature of the Ad hominem logical fallacy; and usually espoused by those who are "offended" by something that most ordinary, decent people call the truth.

Look @Bannasidhe - you've lost the argument. Attack me all you want; I have broad shoulders and a thick skin. I can take it.

But once you go for the man rather than the ball, you have clearly lost the argument.

You're threatened by the opposition's argument, and it shows.

Just to get back to the purpose of this thread: biological males can never become women and so should never enter the Rose of Tralee.

Nice and simple, right?

What about those that are born without ovaries or even a womb? Do you think they are not female?

'Just to get back to the purpose of this thread: biological males can never become women and so should never enter the Rose of Tralee.'

And yet again the same thing over and over again, with no reason as to why they shouldn't enter, apart from 'something something penises '

I'm sorry, but this is an insult to transgender people.

Almost all transgender people are normal, healthy people without any chromosomal disorder.

If I were transgender, I'd be outraged by the suggestion that we were almost all somehow victims of medical disorders.

It's not true.

Transgender men and women are just as healthy and normal as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

They can be vegan too.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?

Females are born without ovaries and/or wombs. I'm asking the poster who describes Females as those producing eggs, if those born without are female.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, no, no.

Biological males are identified by XY and biological females are identified as XX (and the binary extends not only to humans, but non-human animals too).

Most people who have exceptionally rare chromosomal disorders are not transgender (as I say, it would be an insult to suggest that transgender people were simply a consequence of such disorders). In fact, the vast majority identify within the sex binary.

Intersex. Kleinfelter's etc.; most people fall within the sex binary and do not identify as transgender.

Don't let them fool you.

Terry Pratchet

Seriously.

A poster described females as

'female

of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes.'

And I was asking him, what about those females born without such things? Without wombs? Are they not female?

I have no idea where you're going with insulting trans people 😂😂

No indignation, just plain facts. You provided enough evidence to suggest that you yourself are a bigot. I have pointed this out several times and quoted your own posts.

Incidentally, I don't think you are hateful, horrible or evil.

But just because I don't buy your woolly bs definition of biological whatever and because you refuse to define what you, yourself mean in plain English, then there is a stalemate.

I have no interest in playing your game - it smacks of trolling at this point and should and will be treated as such.

That's my right and you can interpret that whatever way you wish (I've "lost the argument", I'm "wrong 18-22 times" etc), but if you cannot express yourself then it's not my problem.

You see, here's the issue.

I don't believe you even care about the answer to that question.

Let's say that 99 percent of transgender women were tested and found to be XY (with no chromosomal disorders etc.), what would you say then?

That is literally all there is to this thread now. EH having a rant about how everyone is wrong.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Btw I meant to reply earlier. Point of clarification: I didn't accuse you of not engaging, I know you do. I disagree with a lot of good points of course, but I know you put a bit of thought in your posts and are willing to engage etc.

I was making a general point regarding these threads and the open mockery that occurs (from 'banter' to outright bigotry).

Additionally when faced with a bunch of people that are completely sceptical about the very existence of trans people (I mean challenging the very belief that they are the gender they say they and it not being some act or show) them why would they (the trans people) be willing to engage at all.

Also.. boards.ie isn't all that anonymous. Plenty of people would know who I am irl, for example. This account is 14 years old, I've worked with a lot of people in that time. Might be the same for others or they might already have posted personally identifiable info etc.

Advertisement