Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

anyway.. back to the show..

2.7: AWE ****!

Ah I hope they're not gonna kill Ciri off because of Demon possession or something.

She's really grown on me in this season!

Dammit!

Well done the writers.. I didn't see that coming.

Honourable mention for Jaskier

"I'm so sad and complicated" 😂😁

and damn that scene with the

Nilgaard solidiers.. generals? getting done-in by Fringilla! 😲

😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲

Finished Season 2! Top notch second season! Built on the first! Had action, adventure, magic, exploration, everything!

What an ending! 😲

2.8: NO FREAKIN WAY!

I can't believe it's Ciris Dad! Wow! What a cliffhanger.. Straight outta leftfield! Didn't see it coming in the slightest! 😲

Anyway..

Phew! Glad Ciri wasn't killed... Though.. I'm guessing she's not gonna be a Witcher now.. like maybe something more but I'd been building myself up to her becoming a Witcher. The show creators did such a good job with those training episodes!

I liked Yennefer getting some redemption. Her working for the baddie felt very entrapmentey and forced.

Jaskier seemed to get the worst of it from the core team reputation this season.

Though the Witchers.. between this and Nightmare of the Wolf.. the Witchers legit got it the worst.. though again.. Nightmare of the Wolf really kinda showed them bringing a lot of their misfortune onto themselves.

One kinda Marvel/MCU remindery thing was when

Ciri was watching her dream/illusion fade away.. it felt like The Snap in how she was losing her loved ones. I think the writers/cast/direction/set/etc team did this really well. It definitely had some big feels in it. Well done on that cos like.. there was easily a chance it could've been seen as just a bit of a copy. While here it felt like they really put enough effort in to have some impact on the viewer.

Future: Season 3! I'm in! The other show with Michelle Yeoh, I'm in!

Witcher Team is on point for building their universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Can I just say that as a long time fan of the Witcher series, it's great to see these little reviews from Slydice. Someone coming into it completely fresh and just enjoying the show and leaving their thoughts on it and predictions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slydices episodic updates are sometimes the only posts on threads, gotta toast their commitment and enthusiasm 👍🥂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just finsihed the second season now. Never played the games. Enjoyed Season 1 but had had enough with the time jumps.

Thought season 2 was excellent.

Jaskier was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really don't think Joey Batey/Jaskier is getting the credit he deserves for his portrayal and acting in S2. I absolutely love him and even his facial expressions in episodes describe so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Am I correct that Nightmare of the Wolf is a prequel?

Is it set before Geralt’s time?

Also I need a reminder - does a Witcher age like a normal human? How old is Yrnnfer in season 1 ?

Yes, it's a prequel. Particularly when the ending has

the bunch of kids. The one without hair is Geralt

No, witchers like Geralt live longer.

Also, mages (not witchers) like Yennefer live longer.

Not sure how much longer in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Flicked this on over Christmas with no prior knowledge or expectations. Flew through both seasons and have loved it so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Garbage. It felt like I was watching a bad Dr Who episode of the Whitaker era.

The dialogue and interactions between characters is banality to the point of sleep inducing. Acting for the most part is drama school level.

Scenes chop and change like it was Eastenders. No build-up to any of the plot developments. Zero character development.

The elves are annoying and boring. Yennifer is mostly nerdy and boring. Frangilla is a terrible character and an eye sore to look at. Geralt barely has a personality this season.

Frankie from Pusher who plays Vessimir is hands down the best actor in the show so its a shame his screen time totals about 25mins out of 8 hours.

Episodes were also way to long. The story could have easily been told in just half the time.

When the cut scenes in the game are better directed and contain far better writing and acting , then the showrunners have a problem.

Disappointment seems to be the general consensus for Season 2. Season 3 will have to be a step up in quality or it may be all over. Its highly likely they threw money away on that Blood Origins show

Post edited by BruteStock on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Where would be a good place to start reading the books if you've finished Season 2 ?

Loved this show - really loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I saw season 2 had appeared so decided to remind myself on season 1. Christ on earth after watching WOT I forgot how much nudity was in the Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

From the start 🙃

Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish are collections of short stories in the Witcher universe which are kind of a lead up to the events of the main story much like S1 of the show. Blood of elves is the first part of the Witcher saga and covers much of Season 2 but there are some differences and potentially spoilers in blood of elves that haven't been covered yet in the show.

The book order is listed on wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really liked the season only familiar with the games but was somewhat confused by the overall plot. Only weakness was the Triss, they seem to not know what to do with the character. Someone above was saying season 2 was not liked- I cant see why, was a step up on one for me.

I started season 2 last night.

This show is great.

The episode had a proper old fashioned fairy tale feel to it. The writers and the actor did such a great job on Nevellin’s character that when the truth about the curse was revealed it felt like getting kicked by a horse.

I know the chronological order of the story from season 1 but I have a question about the when of things.

Geralt and Jaskar were in Cintra for the wedding of Ciri’s parents which was 16/17 (??) years ago. As best I can recall Geralt last saw Yennifer and parted ways with Jaskar after the dragon hunt - how long ago was that?

Do Mages age slower than humans or do they not age at all?

And what about Witchers? Is Geralt aging slower?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mages age slower. At one stage Yennifer said she had already been at court for 30 years.

The time lines in season 1 are fairly confusing alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Mages age much slower that humans by a few hundreds years, but I don't believe they're immortal. Witchers also age slower, but their lifespan is unknown because non of them ever died a natural death.

Witcher are made aren’t they? Humans boys go through a process and are mutated? Can they have children?

Is Geralt the last Witcher? Or is is that there are not many left?

I remember from season 1 that Yennifer chooses to undergo a process to make her physically beautiful. My memory is that she does this in secret without her mentor’s (Myanna Buring) knowledge - and I thought the mentor was really pissed about it. And that before she does it the mage warns her that she will become barren. And i thought that years later she regrets not being able to have child.

But in the season 1 recap (the 15 minute one in the World of the Witcher section) there is a moment where Yennifer says “they took away my choice” (or something like that). The dialogue is mixed with other scenes.

Am I remembering that part of Yennifer’s story wrong? Was she forced to undergo the transformation?

I know these answers fro probably available on Google but I don’t want spoilers for the story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

General answers, so as not to potentially spoil anything:

Witchers are created through the Trial of the Grasses where mutagens are applied. And as a result of this process are sterile.

Other witchers, and witchers schools are around, though few in number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yennefer talking about how they took away her choice was mostly about the process of becoming a mage as a whole. She was taken from her home, given a taste of power, and those who weren't strong enough ended up being sacrificed.

Yennefer's comment was about the entire process of manipulation that she went through, that drove her to sacrifice her chance at having children in order to become who she felt she was meant to become. But a longer life of essentially just being an adviser to politicians/Kings made her start to realise what she'd given up and questioning if it was worth it, and realising how she'd been manipulated.

And yes, Witchers are made through mutation, done through potions. Most don't survive. I don't think they can have children but I'm open to correction. I know the mutation strips them of most of their emotions, so they definitely tend to not fall in love or have relationships anyway.

Thank you both.

I don’t know if Witcher creation process or the sterility was ever talked about in season one but if it was I have zero recollection. I remember hints and comments but not anything solid.

Now that you’ve explained about Yennifer I do remember this from season one. I had intended to rewatch it before season 2 but never had the time.

Witcher emotions have also been talked about but it is something I keep forgetting until it is brought up (there was a comment in this episode) because Geralt does, I would say, have emotions, but is kind of socially awkward about it all. I assume something in the process didn’t take or how long he has lived has caused this - I’ll ask no more as no doubt it will come up on the show.

In episode 8 of season one it covers it to a degree whereby he says that 3 out of 10 boys don't make it through the process. They may have earlier said that witchers were sterile although I may be getting confused with the mages. Pretty sure during Yennifer's brooding in the Dragon episode (6??) Geralt said he was sterile but I would need to watch it again to be sure.

Yeah I think they mention Witchers can't have children which made it all the stranger that Geralt ended up being tied to Ciri through the Law of Surprise thing, and basically ended up with a child.

As for Witchers and emotions, I'm basically assuming that it's possible it depends on the mutation, that maybe it doesn't fully remove all emotions completely. They definitely have some emotions considering their relationships with other Witchers, but I think the mutations remove/dull most but not all emotion from them. That's my own logic to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think it's a spoiler but I'm going to spoiler it anyway, but in the books:

Triss says Witchers do have emotions. It's not the elixirs that change them emotionally, but themselves, often hiding their emotions and as Triss alludes, kid themselves (or rather, Geralt) into thinking they're gone. Yet, we see examples of them having emotions all over the place. Years of training and killing certainly will dampen them to a degree, and they're trained hard enough for fear to become obsolete. However, looking at Geralt with Yen or Ciri, the Witcher brothers between themselves, and particularly Vesemer with the younger Witchers, they do have emotions.

Witcher mutations do cause infertility, as mentioned.

He certainly gets irritated with the bard and gets pissed off alot. Also the dream sequence after he was bitten was laced with emotion.

Really? She definitely looked older but I didn't think there was that big a difference at all. Though I did rewatch Season 1 just before Season 2 so maybe it was easier to see it was the same actress rather than if you hadn't seen Season 1 since release.

She was definitely given a lot more to do this season. I thought she put in a great performance other than just Season 1's constant "Where are we, and who are you?" for 10 episodes.

I just finished season 1 again aswell but could not see any resemblance between the 2 of them but I had just assumed and accepted she had been recast so didn't think any more about it. I'll have a good gawk at her tonight.

Season 2 ep 1 was excellellent. I liked the divergence into the monsters and the was something very Ringesque when the

bruxa crawled through the hole and was scuttling about on the ceiling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hehe, that's interesting the different perspectives; never really thought about it as she just looked a shade older to me, which yeah, would make sense if she aged through the last of her teen years between seasons.

In a similar vein, I can't see how the CoVid delayed Stranger Things season 4 will avoid an even more pronounced growth spurt.

Advertisement