Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

If the rumour is to be believed it's quite serious and surprising it didn't come up already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I'm a Drogheda supporter. Whilst Odumusu is very young and has great potential, I don't think that he is good enough for England.

Whilst he is brave and makes some great saves, he also makes too many mistakes that cost goals. At the back end of last season, we had 4 games in 9 days so that he could go to the Irish U-21s. He made bad mistakes in 3 of those that cost us goals and points against Sligo (two identical goals), Bohn and Dundalk.

His distribution also needs to improve.

He gets a lot of breaks because of his age and he could still make a fine keeper. I wish him well but he is the only one of our back 5 (now all gone it seems) that I'm not too sorry to see leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've since seen rumours of it elsewhere, vague enough too though.

The IT or the Indo had something on it yesterday I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From The Sun

Although the club did not say the explicit reason, Nattestad, 27, acknowledged it was his failure to appear as a witness at a Court of Appeals hearing in February 2019 involving his former Molde teammate Babacar Sarr.

After a joint criminal and civil trial, Sarr had been found not guilty of rape in August 2018 of the criminal charge.

But he was ordered to pay his accuser compensation of €15,000 after the court ruled in her favour on the civil claim. Both sides appealed.

The appeal hearing set for February 2019 was adjourned because Nattestad - due to be a witness for the prosecution - was in Denmark playing a friendly match for his new club FC Frederica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's in the sun. He was called as a witness during the rape trial of Babacar Sarr in Norway (his ex-teammate at Molde) but he didn't show up to court.

The Sarr case was a big thing in Norway which is why the fans of his new club weren't happy with his signing. If you haven't read about Sarr, Solskjaer and their agent Solbakken I recommend doing so.

https://thefootballdugout.com/2020/02/18/how-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-protected-a-rapist/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Nice article on Treaty on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

since when have Celtic been known for giving young players a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He will be on loan at Cowdenbeath within 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They might be encouraged by how well Scales has done in his first few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Celtic are a poor choice for any promising young player. Luca Connel was getting game time at Bolton in the Championship at 18 when Celtic paid £350,000 for him. 2 years later he's stagnated to the point the best loan he could get was at Scottish third tier side!

Kenny would have been better off at Hibs or a lower league English side than that. Chances are he'll be thrown into Celtics reserves and forgotten about.

They were but why did Celtic pay £350,000 for him? Which is still a decent fee for an 18 year old. Scales was similar money and he's a first team squad player. Plenty more in their first team cost similar.

It seems to be Celtic policy to just buy up any player with any sort of promise and if 1 in 50 come good they don't care. Not the kind of environment any young player will thrive in.

chances are if you are in and out of a scottish third division side at 20 you werent good enough for celtic at 18

Player development doesn't work like that. The next few years are crucial and he's going to be playing Berwick Rangers in the lowland league. I hope Rodgers has been smart enough to get them to agree to loan him out in the summer. The Scottish 5th tier is a daft level for him to drop down to even considering the improvements in coaching and training facilities he'll have available to him.

There were a few offers on the table for him in Scotland and Europe but he decided on Celtic. Development wise it's probably the option that gives him the lowest odds of success and Rovers the lowest odds of getting any more than the crap fee up front but I wish him the best. Hopefully he overcomes the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

No question Scales recent breakthrough is a huge factor in Kenny's choice, still very early days for Scales though and for Kenny breaking through as a teenage striker at Celtic definitely more daunting task than Scales at his position with an extra 5 years of age and experience

Scales was completely different, as you say he was 5 years older. He was also an Ireland U21 International and had played regular European football. Kenny has none of that in his favour and will have to be the standout player in their U23s/reserves and hope the Celtic manager gives him a chance which he might not.

Celtic are a selling/feeder club and they play a numbers game. They bring in as many players as they can for as little as they can and hope 1 or 2 come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The Celtic manager has played a recent LOI opponent of his so if Scales is impressing the manager Kenny's viewpoint will be that this manager is happy with the performance of new player out of LOI then that may give Kenny a shot at some point

Nothing wrong with Kenny's choice to bet on himself with the higher risk of it not working out by signing for a big club/institution like Celtic, just because Celtic have been lousy at developing players over recent years doesn't necessarily mean they are always going to be lousy over the next couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

It would not surprise me if Celtic looked to loan out Kenny in the short term. If Hibernian wanted to sign him as well maybe another spfl club will be interested in a loan deal for him that would be the ideal scenario for next year or so I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

He’d be better off staying at Sligo for another year in my view.

Jesus the negativity about Kenny is comical.

First there was whinging about the club getting him to sign a contract with a release clause. However there's a good few guys after signing with UK clubs in the last few weeks and it looks like Sligo might be the only club to get a transfer fee.

Now we have lads lining up to say he's going to be a flop at Celtic, as if Hibs is some bastion of youth development.

I'll take the positives and look forward to seeing him and Scales playing together at Celtic sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Have to say I tend to agree here. Bohs getting feck all last year for Danny Grant (YPOTY) , this year for Ross Tierney (YPOTY nominee) shows that Sligo have definitely done better than the majority of these transfers. As for his development at Celtic, if he's good enough he'll make the grade, and if he does, Celtic could attract a much bigger fee than a Hibs if he moves up a step in future (Rangers just sold a young full back for 12m to Everton), so could work out better for Sligo in long run.

• Advertisement

All of the players mentioned in the two posts above were out of contract. Kenny wasn't out of contract. They aren't the same situations at all. It's not like Celtic, Hibs and the other teams only became interested after he signed his new deal on November 3rd. Rovers knew there were teams sniffing around wanting him this month since the summer.

We shot ourselves in the foot signing him to a new deal when he was likely leaving. Teams now lining up to pay the €150k no questions asked (more than just Hibs & Celtic by the way) is proof of that. The new contract was of zero benefit to the club and gave his agent and the interested teams more power.

Heading out on loan to Cork City is the word on the ground.

Any word on Danny Grant? I know he did both hamstrings since his move but does anyone know if he is back fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

St Pakistan, we have our own country!!!

https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/1479115434175516681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Niall McGinn to Derry...possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Michael Owen was on Telly last night

advertising property in Dubai ( from a few years ago) made it sound like HIS property too. Not cheap either. Good luck to Pats.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well done to Drogheda for taking a stand against gambling advertising and sponsorship.

Not easy for LOI clubs to turn down the money they offer, and while they're not the only club to do so I hope this becomes the norm as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

And I am being told he is a good one too ..... no olive oil on his fingers like the last one!

No offence lads, but a decent young prospect and Welsh u21 cap should have better offers from his own leagues if he's good enough.

There are exceptions though I accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Jaros should have had better options last season when he / Liverpool wanted to go out on loan ... he went to Pats.

The possibility to play in Europe would swing it for a lot of young lads in the lower leagues in the UK .... maybe 2 UEFA Cup groups stages in 5 years played a part. Maybe the lad feels the club can get back to that level in the next 2-3 years ... he is still young enough to take the risk. All speculation ... could be another Abibi ... however I doubt the new owners will make such a mistake ... StatSports have access to player stats both in training and games better than anything available on the market, not many scouting feeds etc. have that data.

Again, no offence chaps but the lad who stood out last season with Pats (Lewis?)has gone to Plymouth.

Lots of other examples too. How many have come over from the UK and gone back to a higher level in the UK?

Not many. He's here because no-one else wants him.

He might be a terrific signing for Dundalk though.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it does CorkRed.

Ireland's senior goalkeeper played League 2 football last year and League 1 this year. Our second best doesn't play much at all.

There's not too many opportunities for young goalkeepers to get experience and play first team football.

Fair play to the lad for opting for something other than U23 football.

He’s 21, Cherrie is 38. Says a lot.

Also he’s Wales U23. A big step up on Abibi. No doubt he’ll make mistakes but definitely should be give a fair chance. FWIW Cherrie was 26 when he first signed with Dundalk.

Best of luck to him. A serious talent .

Wouldn't read much into the contract. Luca Connel and Afolabi were signed on 4 year deals. They sign young players on long deals so they can command big fees if they come good.

Hopefully he learns from those 2 and gets out early on loan playing senior ball at a good level and isn't pottering around the lowland league with Celtic B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Pico Lopes with a win and clean sheet for Cape Verde against Ethiopia at AFCON. Brilliant to see

nothing about it on the website but reports say Dundalk signed somebody called Joe Adams from Brentford

on a separate subject that was some talent drogheda had in defense last year. Augers well for St Pats.

The only defender signed by Pats from Drogheda is Joe Redmond. He looks a really good player though. They have also signed Mark Doyle who is a winger/striker.

We (Drogheda) have lost all of our back 5 now. Redmond to Pats, Conor Kane to Shels, Browne to Blackburn, O'Reilly to Hamilton and the keeper, Odumosu, looks to have offers in England.

In my 45 years supporting LoI , I've never seen a team lose their entire first choice back 5!

Kevin Doherty will do very well to keep us up after losing so many players.

And one to Palace?

Absolutely. Cillian has a real chance.

I think that he will be a CB eventually and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for Ireland some day. He is going to be a belter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Shels looking to bring Wes Houlihan back allegedly. Would still be a good signing for them I think, even at nearly 40. I’d certainly take him at Pats short term.

It would be great if that happens. One of my favourite players

Apparently Padraig Amond was all set to go to Sligo Rovers but the club pulled out of the deal,probably over length of contract demands. Pity something couldn't have been agreed. We've no strikers and have about 4 weeks to find some.

I would assume he saw what Doyle got at Pats and tried to milk it off the back of that. Id still have him on a 2 year deal with clauses. Very little attacking talent in the league. Going foreign is a pick n mix. More likely to end up with a Zahibo as a Parkes.

They'd want to have someone decent lined up such as Matty Smith after cancelling the Amond deal.

Unless Newport were looking for fee larger than a few penny sweets and a bottle of coke, in which case they were right to pull the plug instead of pay it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement