Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

When you can't engage with an argument, dismiss it.

Over 15-pages ago, I said that those who didn't like the common sense view would "distract, evade, offer nothing but Ad hominems, and level accusations with an -ism or -phobia".

This latest post to which I reply is just the latest manifestation of that.

The good thing is that almost all normal, decent people reading this thread - who couldn't give two hoots about the actual topic - agree with the kind of views that I'm trying to ventilate on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Just flagging the use of "Normal and decent" as more evidence of your deep seated bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

red herring,

no. I do not "think they are not female"

The other side have so many red herrings they should build an aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jeez.

A person can't make a reference to what someone has posted now without some triumphant balderdash being aimed at them.

Have you said to posters here that they deep down believe a particular thing? Yes. In this very thread.

Is that thing opposite to the thing they repeatedly say they believe? Yes.

Have you categorically told other what posters what they "know"? Yes. Very recently in this thread.

How exactly have I insulted you by referring to things you posted?

But if you genuinely believe I have in any way launched a personal attack I urge you to report me. No need for thick skins when there are mods around to ensure no one is personally attacked.

• Advertisement

Here is a post that has no relevance to the actual thread.

And here is a post that is so illogical that even the author has no idea what constitutes an Ad hominem argument.

They think by simply creating a large post, separated by gaps of meaningless sentences, that it'll somehow hoover up enough 'Thanks' to make it 'meaningful' and worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Think he said on another thread that he is an engineer, he thinks science, statistics and evidence can override lived experience.

He attacked Rachel Dozeal for living as a proud black woman.

Common thread from Eskimo.

To report a post you believe is a personal attack hit 'flag' and tell the mods why you believe it should be actioned. Ad hominem personal attacks are actionable.

Alternatively you can whinge and snipe here. Making comments about what terms people do and do not understand (can't help yourself .

Surely you would report someone if you genuinely believe they have broken the rules? I mean, didn't you say you had complained to ROT that their rules allow transgender women to compete?

You don't believe I care about the answer? so much for your defence of women's rights. The poster described women as those who have eggs, so what about women who dont?

I'm standing up for the rights of those women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread has gone vastly off topic once again and requires a significant cleanup.

Stick to the topic of the thread - the Rose of Tralee's change in applicant policy. The thread will be closed if it keeps going off topic.

@eskimohunt do not post in this thread again

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Advertisement

The English language: "Ladies and gentlemen" - outdated, clumsy and sexist

An Ghaeilge: "A dhaoine uaisle" - modern, elegant and equitable

See? We're already way ahead of the pack, and in that context a policy confirming that trans women can apply to take part in the Rose of Tralee is no great surprise.

While it's a positive thing to see the applicant policy confirm the position for trans women, and also to see the change in rules regarding marital status, the RoT probably still needs to cross a bridge or two when it comes to age.

Also, I'm sure the application policy doesn't preclude disabled women, but have many RoT contestants been disabled? Look at the positive impact of Rose Ayling-Ellis' participation in Strictly Come Dancing. I know Ellen Keane had elite athletics as a much bigger priority, but I think she'd have made a fine Rose contestant.

And also, perhaps future contests won't be quite as caucasian as in the past. But in any case, fair play to the RoT organisers for the changes they've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

This is one of the more stupid and ill thought out arguments that pops up on these threads.

I think that's the point..

Regardless, I imagine it's still pretty offensive to women who are in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You mean apart from the idea that the existing rules should now be changed to require women to give a DNA sample in order to qualify?

The intent of pointing out that women who do not fit with a definition of ‘biological women’, is to point out the fallacy which underlies the use of the term ‘biological women’ as a social classification.

I don't think it was her point. I think that was a genuine question from bubbly.

And I doubt it is offensive in the slightest. It is a widely used definition as it applies across the animal kingdom.

Until the day someone can produce a definition of what a women is supposed to be that doesn't

a. Engage in circular logic

Or b. Resort to stereotype

Than the word women will remain based in biology ie an adult human female. Across all the trans threads I've read on boards, and now am partaking in, I have never seen this challenge even attempted let alone been met.

A female as pertaining to humans can also be defined chromosomely, if that particular definition isn't rigorous enough or you'd rather it be extended to clear up misunderstandings.

I also do not know why you believe a DNA test should be used to qualify. Under the new rules, anyone can enter, male or female, once they merely identify as being a woman. And if thats what the RoT want then best of luck to them.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Your definition of female clearly doesn't include all females. Merely pointing out that you and your definition is incorrect.

Listen, if this is the level this discussion is going to continue at, then I won't bother. Here's another definition if you want:

'a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.'

The pertinent point Bubbly, is that there are two sexes. Someone with breasts, a vagina, no facial hair, x chromosomes, a rounded body but no ovaries is a women as they do not have facial hair, a penis, testicles, sperm, and a leaner body. It's very simple stuff, and the attempt to make it appear more complicated than it is is intentional, as you require the undermining of basic science in order to keep up the idea that trans-women are women. This is the same tactic that is used by people arguing against, for example, climate change, whereby they intentionally become obscurist with the intention of finding one, very minor issue, that they can pretend is a very large issue that undermines the established science itself. It doesn't.

The point is that the organisers of the Rose of Tralee festival allow certain females to enter, this includes trans women.

So it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about trans women, they are women in this festival.

• Advertisement

The RoT allow everyone to enter, male or female. I could be a women at the festival if I wanted. And that's their choice, and as I said, good luck to them.

well if you identify as female (their terminology) then you are hardly likely to also identify as male..

but good luck with your transition and the competition itself if you decide to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The term “biological female” engages in the same sort of using stereotypes in order to classify and distinguish between male and female in biology based upon reproduction. That’s quite distinct from women and men as social classifications, terms which are NOT based upon biology, which also employ stereotypes in order to distinguish between one social class and the other.

The terms women and men are social classes, they are not based in biology. It’s for this very reason that women and men who are infertile does not mean they are not still classed as either women or men. It’s why women and men who undergo medical interventions and surgical procedures to enhance their physical attributes does not imply they are no longer biological organisms, but are now synthetic or artificial organisms.

The organisers of the Rose of Tralee care no more about biology than you do, as their criteria are based entirely upon social stereotypes where the winner of the competition is determined by their personality, and not by their looks or their chromosomes.

The reason I pointed out that the argument to change the rules to require a DNA test is because that is precisely the only way in which it could be determined that a woman meets the definition which suits the definition which you are attempting to put forward as the only criteria which should be relevant to everyone. As it turns out, people don’t care much for your criteria any more than they didn’t before, as the term “biological woman” is seen for what it is - an attempt to reduce women to nothing more than the sum of their parts.

Take the test Jack, define to me what a women is sociologically speaking.

And the term 'biological women' does not engage in stereotype, nor is solely based in reproduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well no as you say some who may wish to enter the competition may Identify as "transwomen"

And to be fair the RoT which has always been somewhat a parody of itself has simply declared the competition open to anyone deciding they want to identify as a "woman" that could include drag queens etc

"A drag queen is a person, usually male, who uses drag clothing and makeup to imitate and often exaggerate female gender signifiers and gender roles for entertainment purposes. In modern times, drag queens are associated with gay men and gay culture, but they can be of any gender and sexual identity."

You added plenty of criteria in your description that would exclude women. Some women have mastectomies, a lot of women can get facial hair. And the very fact cultures exist with more than two genders pretty clearly illustrates that biological sex and gender are separate.

Again, you are trying to undermine clear cut, basic science. A women who has had a mastectomie will have had breasts in the first place. Some women can get facial hair yes, but if they have ovaries, breasts etc. Then they are female and as such women. If they have facial, hair testes and a penis then they are male. Again, it's simple, simple stuff.

Why not take the challenge above, and give your sociological definition of what a women or man is?

Drag Queens are female impersonators.

Drag Kings are male impersonators.

It is a performance. When the slap comes off the performance is over.

Being trans is not a performance - no matter how many time people wish to conflate the two - it is 24/7 real life. Transgender people are not acting.

If you don't understand the difference between acting a part and real life perhaps you should have a think.

If you do but are trying to connect the two that is extremely disrespectful.

Well I wouldn't be aware of the percentages of drag queens who identify as female, but I'm not aware of the percentages of the general public who identify as female either.

I'm really not sure what your point is? If someone identifies as female they are a trans woman. So, if they wish to enter, they can. I don't understand why you single out drag queens in particular though?

• Advertisement

It's actually not 'simple stuff' but if the proponents of 'biological reality' actually cared to study just a little bit of biology then they would, of course, be aware of that.

Lots of people want it to be simple as the simplicity is appealing to them. Conveniently it also gives them free reign to spout bigotry (not accusing you here, but even on this page the competition is openly mocked, for example).

Advertisement