Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm not in favour of race determining who gets treatment.

Now, does an imbalance exist in who gets treatment today?

if it does, how should it be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Then I assume that you also agree a policy which allows race to be used to determine who recieves medical treatment is immoral and should be stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Thankyou.

In who gets treatment? Yes, I'm not sure if this is race based but it certainly is wealth based. There is a disparity in outcomes in some areas based on race however..

And I am not sure, but I would not instigate a racist policy such as is being done. One thing to do would be to have universal healthcare, but this is America we are talking about.

The task force that Biden setup in January to accomplish his goals there published their final recommendations recently. They recommend that the colour of your skin and your ancestors should play a role in how resources are distributed. The reason is that they want to see equitable outcomes between racial groups.

The problem is that you always see disparities between groups, no matter what you separate them by. If you separated people by height, eye colour or hair colour you’d see similar disparities. The only part of that report I agreed with was this line ‘Equity never happens by default’

Can you tell me why they don’t just prioritize poor people of every skin colour, something most reasonable people could agree on. Income disparity is a much better predictor of how someone will do. It’s the poor who’ve been hurt the most.

Why is there a disparity of outcomes based on race? Are existing policies discriminating by race?

You are not sure how to fix a problem of discrimination by race but have yourself all in a twist that a policy to fix that also has to discriminate, how else would it be done? I mean, by definition, if there is existing discrimination, trying to fix it by targeting everyone cant fix it, that would be really really dumb, the existing discrimination would still exist unless targeted directly.

• Advertisement

If it is trying to end the discrimination, then yes, if it causes further discrimination, then no. Does discrimination currently exist and if so, how would you solve it?

Does a disparity between groups automatically imply discrimination?

A lot of the discrimination that exists in the USA has been systemic which means systemic responses are needed to solve it, it's unfortunate, but up until the last few decades, they treated people with a different skin colour as second class citizens, it takes time and directed effort to fix those problems.

In the USA it has, unfortunately, but it does not automatically imply discrimination.

• Advertisement

If anyone could point to some policy specifically that discriminates against any group then most people would be there to join the good fight, IMO. I think the systemic racism ended decades ago, no doubt the ramifications of those policies still unfortunately live on in the US. The way to fix this can’t be to reintroduce systemic racism.

I have never said there is a problem of discrimination by race in medical care. A disparity of outcomes does not necessarily imply their is racial discrimination. For example, 80% of African American women are over weight or obese compared to ~60% of white women and as such more black women live less healthier lives than their white counterparts. There are no existing policies that are discriminating by race that I am aware of.

I think it's reasonable to go after these imbalances specifically (positive discrimination?) to try and undo the damage of past policies, this is what is generally happening in the USA (and other countries, though not specifically on race in all cases, it can be based on background, upbringing and parental income, for example). People don't like bringing race into it (which is weird as we had a big fight on this Island over discrimination based on religion) but it did happen and hasn't really been tackled properly, unless there is a genetic reason for the different outcomes it doesn't make sense that outcomes would be different based on race of people growing up and living in the same country.

So, in your opinion, outcome difference is explained by a higher percentage being overweight, does that track through results? Is a non-overweight African American woman going to have the same outcome as a non-overweight white woman? Is the difference exactly 20%? And that's before going into why that is the case (poorer upbringing based on previous racist policies leaning towards cheaper higher calorific food content).

The policies exist to undo decades and centuries worth of damage that was done based on race, yes, it would be nice to wave a wand and have equal access and opportunity for all, but that world doesn't exist which means that specific efforts need to be made instead. I don't believe there is anything particularly outrageous about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nancy Pelosi expected to step down next year, given she is the defacto leader of the Democratic party now, that's not going to be a help.

It's not a position she sought but Joe and Kamala have skipped that responsibility, why being the question on every lip.

Hakeem Jefferies is tipped to get it, seems capable not outstanding despite the hype around him.

Has a lot of positions that will make him Very unpopular with the activist base.

The Democrats are looking at a leadership vacuum till he beds in and is viewed as credible.

My point was that different health outcomes by race does not necessarily imply racial prejudice, as, for example, a larger number of people within a certain race may lead less healthy lifestyles. Another example is would be that Native Americans are more likely to smoke.

'The policies exist to undo decades and centuries worth of damage that was done based on race, yes, it would be nice to wave a wand and have equal access and opportunity for all, but that world doesn't exist which means that specific efforts need to be made instead. I don't believe there is anything particularly outrageous about that.'

No ones access nor ability to be treated should be based on their race, triage should never be based on race. It's as simple as that. Suggesting it is ok to do any of those three things is absolutely outrageous.

But again, you're implying that existing systems (in a money driven healthcare system it must be added) are equal access for all races, that is not the case at the moment and if there is negative discrimination (which there is, all manners of studies within the USA show this) then positive discrimination is needed to fix it. In other countries, race doesn't come into it as often, so policies are based on other factors, in the USA, race has been a big part of their discriminatory history and it will take many decades of policies to undo that damage.

If money was spent on an anti-smoking campaign that was targeted at native americans, would that also be outrageous?

How about a campaign targeting overweight African Americans?

Why does it differ for health triage where those discriminatory effects also exist?

Now, maybe those effects don't exist, and maybe this is all based on a ploy to win over sectors of voters, but knowing my history of the US, I personally doubt that's the case and would call someone naïve who thought otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wealth and other health factors does not explain the full disparity between outcomes based on race. If you have evidence to suggest it does please present it as you just seem to be assuming that it explains everything and we can go on to pretend like race doesn't effect outcomes.

Even the initial system for deciding triage was based on data from white people, I posted earlier about a paper showing the same numbers don't lead to the same outcomes for African Americans so the method of deciding triage picked up the bias used in creating it. I don't think anyone involved in this was racist but they simply didn't think it through and get a diverse enough sample.

This is the type of thing that has happened and will keep happening unless there is concious effort to avoid it.

The conscious effort should not include discriminating by race. I'm amazed people can be hoodwinked into thinking such a thing is ok, I genuinely am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's an unfortunate confluence of historical discrimination based on race, and current discrimination based most on wealth. Many of the poorest communities are black, which have their roots in racism. Solving the problem isn't going to be achieved by turning pitting different ethnic groups against each other.

In trying to address the historical issues, politicians and activists focus too much on the racial aspect, over the economic one. The problems poor communities face are fairly universal, regardless of racial background. Lack of access to banking, to healthcare, to education, to jobs. These issues should be unifying, yet instead the conversation is white vs everyone else.

You've identified two areas yourself that should be targeted by race, smoking by native Americans and obesity among African Americans.

But this brings you down into talking about facts and data rather than pretending to be outraged by things.

And I'm betting this is a pattern you have on other right wing topic threads.

Which means now other posters can easily debate you as you can't turn it shouty as much as you'd like to.

Now that's outrageous 🙃

• Advertisement

Telling African Americans to smoke less does not discriminate against other races, nor does any campaign have to directly target African Americans, it could target all smokers. Just because you think both those issues should be targeted by race, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

And I'm not interested in a 'shouty match' , nor am I right wing.

The facts and data are the facts and data. They do not imply that we have to engage in discriminatory policies that are race based.

I don't think any solution involves pitting groups against each other (as that's what caused the problem in the first place) any problem caused by race discrimination in the past is going to require an element of race discrimination to fix that problem.

Does a white guy have better outcomes than an African American? Generally yes, does a poor white guy have better outcomes than an equally poor African Amerian? Generally yes as well, meaning you can't just target poor people as a category to solve the problem.

Telling African Americans to smoke less does not discriminate against other races

Yes, it does. That's positive discrimination going on right there and again getting to the nub of why you don't understand the policy that was in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You don't solve discrimination with more discrimination. It just creates resentment and divisions among the people. On top of that, it's often infantalising. A good example is the college admissions process.

No it doesn't, if they decided to, for example, hand out nicotine patches to African Americans free of charge, whereas all other races had to pay, then that would be race based discrimination. Or worse, gave free nicotine patches free to everyone bar Asian Americans.

And again, such a policy need not be implemented.

What's the difference between spending money on targeted messaging and spending the same money on nicotine patches?

It doesn't have to create resentment and division (and tbh, most of the shouting about it comes from one particular direction). If the goal is to restore balance to something then you have to target what caused the imbalance in the first place not just "target everything" because the imbalance will just remain. If we took €100 off every male in the country 10 years ago as part of a gender based discrimination policy and wanted to redress that, would we give €100 back to everybody or target who was discriminated against? Would those who didn't get the redress resent those who did? If so, why?

Because other people can potentially see targeted messaging. No targeted message only ever reaches its sole target market. And again, they could just target all smokers.

So, I run a campaign targeting African Americans specifically (say I use Facebook to do so) and it's OK because others potentially might see it? But spending the same or less on nicotine patches is outrageous?

You've talked yourself into a logical fallacy here.

• Advertisement

If the goal is to restore balance to something then you have to target what caused the imbalance in the first place not just "target everything" because the imbalance will just remain

Often times the only way to achieve this balance is by hurting every other group. The Jehovah’s Witnesses for example will have a worse healthcare outcomes for many conditions. Attempting to address this imbalance by prioritising JW’s over every other religion would not be beneficial in any way because JWs often don’t accept blood transfusions.

In fact the subject we’re talking about came up in this thread from a discussion about how republicans often won’t get vaccinated. The the point was then made that black people are also accepting the vaccine at a lower rate. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this is somehow a genetic predisposition, but could be explained by cultural and socioeconomic factors. Non whites have been hurt more by the pandemic probably because a larger percentage of poor people are non white. By addressing the socioeconomic factors you may still not achieve full ‘balance’ because you’re left with cultural reasons. Until you can properly identify what these are how can you possibly attempt to address this by looking for equality of outcomes?

If we don’t consider the JW’s belief about blood transfusions we’d be wasting a lot of time and money while creating anger and division all in the pursuit of an unachievable goal.

Advertisement