Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Like Groundhog Day every time you switch on RTÉ news. They could be running news segments from 8 months ago and no one would know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

We are so lucky in here to have so many experts in virus's, data modelling and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

They all seemed to become virologists over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

You see this 'excess mortality' coming up in articles or interviews usually coupled w 'usual' or 'normal' instead of an average, which it in fact is. Statisticians are having a great time during Covid trying not to choke on their breakfast cerial in the morning..☺

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Well, anybody with a good brain should be able to infer certain things without going into the precise complex mechanisms behind the data. This is actually very important at a time when experts start misleading the public. When you start digging you will find other highly qualified dissenters with an opposing view to the presumed 'consensus' we are all supposed to follow. It has never been easier to do so. True, it also gives people the opportunity to act in bad faith but you might say that goes for the ones dismissing opposing views as well. To me it is still balancing scales. Most things are not as settled as supposed. If experts start insisting on a consensus that should be a red flag especially when politicians put them in front of a tv screen. In science there is no such thing as a consensus just the scientific method in which data seems to suggest that...etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So it begins, RTE'S Morning Ireland back fully from an extended festive season sabbatical. A whole 2 hours, God bless the team as they struggle to find their way around the studio, figuring out what buttons to push.

First 30 minutes, Guess what the Topics were,

Hint, Schools and the C word 🙄

RTE'S news output is as predictable as flys around Shyte 😏

No Doubt Claire Byrne will arrive into Montrosia later this morning (or perhaps week) with Covid Guns Blazing 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes I can see you’ve not the vaguest idea what I’m on about.

Virus, and variants, wax and wane. A wave has an end - zero or low-level circulation.

A man looked for a pattern, as is human nature. If a theory, discovery or postulated solution doesn’t stand up to subsequent scrutiny it doesn’t mean the motives were nefarious - much of what you’ve written is practically conspiracy theory.

There’s apparently a few different rabbit holes people can fall down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

They did a vox pop, one eastern European sounding mother said the schools should stay open as education is important. All the Irish-sounding parents said it was too dangerous to send children to school, and maybe the virus would be gone in two weeks' time.... Very clear to see who consumes RTEs unbalanced fear nonsense and who doesn't ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That just looks like complete incompetence. A protest is not remotely surprising at this stage with people close to cracking and some already dug into trenches way past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

But the Eastern Europeans are unvaccinated and taking ICU beds so their opinion doesn't count.

(Being sarcastic by the way, taking the piss out of them being scapegoated a few weeks back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Good old Irish media. Now we know how we should feel about omicron...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

eh ? it DIDN'T stop similar things happening in other countries, it happened all over the world !!

I'm convinced you're trolling at this stage with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's about the risk-benefit ratio, schools are a risk but they are a low risk by comparison to the benefit. Any parent who had to do a teachers job last year will tell you that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Any parents that i have been speaking to want the schools to reopen they must choose who they speak to very carefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Likewise, 28 parents on our WhatsApp school group, every single one of them wants the school to open as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The whole discussion seems to be focused on staffing shortages in schools.

That is an issue for every profession at the moment, but only the teachers unions are calling for their work places to be shut.

Ffs, my kids have been dealing with substitute teachers for months on and off. If there are no teachers available for a specific class, perhaps they could tell those kids to stay home for a few days until cover is sourced.

They have to find a means of living with this. Shut the schools now and they'll stay shut for another two months minimum. A bit of cop on is required at this stage.

If the schools do close again the time WILL at this stage have to be made up by keeping the schools open into the summer holidays. I know the teachers here will be baying for my blood for saying that, but so many younger kids education has been absolutely decimated by these closures that hard decisions need to be made to ensure the education of children gets prioritized over teachers working entitlements.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thats it. Schools should open and if no cover can be found leave the class at home for the few days. Each school should be open but if they have to close for a day or 2 due to staffing so be it. I don't know of any teacher who wants to go back to online teaching. I hated it. And the children hated it.

It's quite extraordinary and your correct, serious shortages of staffing in hospitals, retail, manufacturing, supply chains and barely a whimper about it. RTE have long been obsessed with all things Teacher related.

Perhaps the Teaching Unions not aware of a simple fact, most of us are aware of, Norma Foley not listening to unions (the One and only Trait, I begrudgingly admire in her)

I know a lot of teachers made a huge effort with online but from my experience, my eldest got a lot of work from their teacher online and the interaction was good.

Our youngest's teacher wasn't anywhere near as involved, he and a large cohort of his classmates have been receiving support this year with things they should have mastered in Junior Infants. He's making really good progress right now and to see the schools closing again would be a disaster, particularly since he still has the same teacher as last year and I'd be shocked if their attitude to online learning would have changed drastically since last year.

Hopefully pragmatism will prevail, but that seems to be in short supply of late.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I mean if a teacher needs to isolate and there is no sub available then fair enough, 9-10 days of schooling remotely in that instance is completely understandable and acceptable. Secondary schools the effect is even less

What benefit is there to closing every school in the country because if it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I did my best with online. Was there all day every day for my class as totally understood that some could only work when their parents came home from work. I did live lessons with the kids 4 out of 5 days. But I hated every minute of it.

When I spoke to my class before Christmas about the possibility of it return their little faces said it all. They were very upset at the thought of it. So I'm hopeful it won't come to that.

I understand where you are coming in relation to your child. It is not possible for junior and senior infants to participate in online learning. There is a big increase in the numbers of children requiring support since this started. And the longer these closures continue the bigger the increase will be.

Spoke to soon, I forgot Claire Byrne works school hours, we'll be spared her Covid Hysterics for a few days more.

That said, Pompous Boucher Hayes at it already. Michael Gillespie (TUI) on now, schools should re open but schools should be allowed to decide.

Good point raised as to why only yesterday the ASTI only raising concerns about Omicron yesterday 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But theres loads of business closing because of lack of staff due to the current ridiculous isolation rules. My local pub, cafe are all closed for that reason, numerous business in town etc.

What should be done is simply change the stupid isolation rules, if no teachers available then what should be done apart from sending kids home.

This is going to be a little bit of a litmus test for COVID 2022, if they decide to not radically change isolation rules and close schools buckle in for 2022 being even more "abundance of caution"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

None but we operate with abundance of caution dont forget. It should be up to each school individually if they dont have the staff to teach then send kids home.

The issue is a little more acute in secondary schools mind, in primary one teachers minds one class, if ye can bring in a sub for that class then happy days.

O, I agree, my point being our National Broadcaster dedicating almost 70% of its news output on Schools, Teachers and barely a mention of other sectors far more impacted by absenteeism.

Teachers unions have long been the squeaky wheel of Irish public life. And so it remains.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They will likely follow what they've done in the US and halve the isolation period for close contacts and positive cases.

If you are symptomless after 5 days you can stop isolating - shows they now accept that stopping the spread is a pointless endeavour, and that keeping society functioning is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Remember back in 2020 when some posters here said that we would still be in this thing in 2022 and they were laughed out the gate for being conspiracy theorists?

Advertisement