Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Do those people want a medal for taking a punt with no evidence and being proved right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Why an entire school? Should it not be done on a class-by-class basis, at least in primary school? Teacher has to isolate so class works remotely for a few days if no sub available

With secondary schools, if a teacher is out that's only one class that students will miss out or have to catch up on or maybe the 1st year maths class has to be cancelled as the teacher will have to teach the 6th year physics class

There's ways and means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Taking a punt? I’d say it was more like them realizing that the “government” had/have absolutely no idea of how to get us out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I never said they should close an entire school????

It isnt as easy with secondary schools. That one teacher will likely be teaching multiple classes across multiple years. Its only one class for that one student. What do ye do with that one class if no one to take them, lock them in the room for an hour? If for example 2 teachers are missing without cover it means multiple classes are missed across all years.

Primary is easy imho, if no teacher or no sub then that class is taught remotely.

In secondary what do ye do, stay at home for remote teaching of 1st year maths, then come in for 1st year history for an hour, back to remote for another hour etc etc.

Of course just effin relax the stupid isolation rules and let everyone get on with life but someone tell NPHET that!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

Yeah they should.

But dont forget its NPHET and "abundance of caution" it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see them close schools rather than accept stopping the spread is a pointless endeavour and that keeping society functioning is more important!

If its best practise elsewhere and involves taking a risk of any sort expect it not to happen here, juts look at their antigen test stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

NPHET will definitely NOT recommend anything off message and keeping schools closed is not on Governments agenda.

They'll reopen, there'll be staff issues, attendance issues but all Government want is them open.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Schools will open IMO. It could be a very bumpy few weeks but if as suggested we do hit the peak very soon, relatively short-lived.

I hope you're right, for it to work properly we need a radical change in isolation rules imho, thats where i see NPHET throwing the spanner in the works.

Hope to god im wrong.

I believe (rightly or wrongly) ever since that attempt to gag NPHET and government realised very quickly they'd have no political cover for decisions they might make, so Leo, MM and Tony sat down and agreed "Their all in this together ", picked on hospitality again and the love fest started almost immediately with Tony appearing alongside his new best friends at the last Gov press conference, the first time ever in this entire pandemic.

There's a simple strategy at play, let's occasionally pretend to disagree, then compromise and Tony can continue to lecture whilst pointing his finger at the nation, he never minded being the bad cop and not dependent on re election.

As I've said previously, living with covid has commenced, they just don't seem to know how to communicate this message, actually They don't know how to communicate full stop.

Only short of Blizzard, perhaps high winds this week , schools will reopen, that's been governments and in particular NPHETs message to date, I can't see anything especially teaching unions crying and whinging changing Governments intentions.

In essence even Blackadder couldn't come up with a more cunning plan 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I can see you haven`t the vaguest idea what you are talking about, but at least you now know a postulation is not a scientific baseline.

Data was available on this virus from early as early as January 2020. The article I referenced too and posted a link too was written in September 2020 by George Gilder Senior Resident Fellow at the American Institute for Economic Research, the sponsors and promoters of that Great Barrington Declaration, with the statement that a study conclusions were repeatedly confirmed that "the spread of the coronavirus declines to almost zero after 70 days - no matter where it strikes". For good measure he threw in that from the John Ioannidis Stanford Santa Clara County study "the case for extreme measures collapses like a house of cards"

Had he bothered to check he would have found that there was nowhere between early January 2020 and September 2020 that "no matter where it strikes" that after 70 days the coronavirus declined "to almost zero after 70 days" and disappeared. The John Ioannidis Santa Clara County study, that made him a media darling on Fox News and a Donald Trump favourite also very quickly, (for anyone that could do basic multiplication), became clear as also being a load of bunkum being nothing other that just more baseless assumptions, but I have not seen him (or anyone else from AIER) publish a retraction on that either.

If anyone was attempting to drag people down rabbit holes it was old George and his ilk from AIER.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not attacking you or anything, and I enjoy your contributions on here, but it might be no harm to turn off RTE from time to time! 😅 Ignorance is bliss and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Blackadder indeed

Covid is……………. “the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun!”

No need to lock the door but yeah give them free classes, been happening for years with sick teachers... Say you have 8 classes in a day, two teachers missing still gives students 6 classes a day if a substitute can't be found

On the topic of schools, I agree with others that the governments response to this could be a harbinger of things to come. If they stand-up to the unions (and complicit media!) for once, and stick to their guns, it could be the catalyst for a more proactive approach to actually living with Covid.

As an aside, the whole school "issue" seems like a complete overreaction to me. Have we lost all sense of perspective. It's abundantly clear at this stage kids do not get sick from this disease. There's no disputing that. Okay, you will have a few outliers, but don't let isolated incidences distort the complete picture. So kids are safe. How can they not be? Why are people even suggesting that "we need to keep kids safe" - when they clearly are. So people will argue that kids can transmit it to vulnerable family members - are these people not vaccinated? Do we not trust the vaccines? Do the vaccines not work? If the vaccines work as expected, and as we are told, then what is the issue here? Again, I fail to see the problem. So, ultimately, the problem I see is staffing - teachers isolating. Relax/reduce the isolation rules, and problem is solved.

Maybe mine is a simplistic viewpoint, but I'd be interested to hear others. Can't help but fell the media are blowing this out of proportion - as usual.

Going a bit off topic, but I find them every bit as bad. Pat Kenny is a zealot. Although Kieran Cuddihy in the evenings is a breath of fresh air, in that he is more pragmatic and doesn't agree with all the hysteria.

Just to correct you on that, Tony stood alongside Leo and a few other FG ministers back in the 2020 press conferences, you might recall that 9 week lockdown that we all praised them for back then. To be fair we were all lead to believe it would be the last

O God your right, P Kenny , my god he's obsessed, particularly the Antigen testing and the infamous Riddle me argument with a GP , I genuinely "Move the Dial' when he starts ranting about covid 😁

• Advertisement

Free classes with no supervision? Thats the point if no one to come in and supervise what do ye do?

Apologies, yes I'd forgotten that, I was generally referring to his general absence at Gov press conferences since new Coalition came in. Leo and Tony seemed to have fallen out by then 😏

Ciara Kelly in the mornings as well similarly, and she a trained doctor

Except that didn't happen. No one in 2020 would have bee able to say it would be gone by 2022. Lots of people would have hoped it to be the case, but there was widespread commentary that it could take at least a couple of years, and lots of comments that an endemic future, which is where are headed in the next couple of months, is where it will end. What "conspiracy theorists" were saying in 2020 is that we would still be in this in 2022 because government control / corporatism / lizard people / <insert random lunacy here>. That does not prove anyone right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In essence even Blackadder couldn't come up with a more cunning plan 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The head honchos are meeting now...does anyone have high hopes for what they will say? I am flying back to Canada tomorrow and there are groups calling for a large scale lockdown in the province.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

He was missing from the press conferences during summer of 2020 because he was off having palliative care for his dying wife. He came back on the 4th of October 2020, called a full NPHET meeting that day and leaked a level 5 recommendation. The entire govt were furious with him for announcing such measures on a Sunday night. You might recall Leo on the Monday night on RTE saying NPHET should not be beyond criticism. I think that was the low point and when he stopped appearing at press conferences alongside the thieves, I mean the politicians

Rightly or wrongly Martin appears to have built bridges with him lately and follow every bit of advice NPHET give with minor changes

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The issue with using excess deaths is that developing countries have been hit hard by starvation. A U.N. study estimated that there were 228,000 additional deaths of children under five in South Asia in 2020 due to crucial services, ranging from nutrition benefits to immunisation, being halted because of Covid measures. That doesn't account for any adults that would have been affected by the same things.

While it's fair to say that India's Covid death numbers probably lack accuracy, I think it's a stretch to say that they're out by more than 3.5 times. Even if they were out by that unlikely amount, that would bring India's deaths per million population on a par with Ireland's, which still doesn't paint the catastrophic picture that the other poster was imagining.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Which head honchos? NPHET or cabinet?

IF NPHET are meeting they'll be closing what remains of the hospitality industry

If cabinet are meeting they'll be waiting on the NPHET orders

Interesting that England feel they're doing enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

3 leaders/sub-committee today, Cabinet tomorrow and NPHET I think is on Thursday.

Advertisement