Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaf blower blowing fuses

Options
  • 04-01-2022 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone might be able to advise me here....

I have a leaf blower/hoover that I bought in Woodies about 10 years ago, it's used maybe twice or three times a year at most. Last two times I've used it it's tripped the fuse for the circuit of sockets it's plugged in to.

I've had it stored outside in a plastic storage box, and I suspect it may have got damp. Could this be the reason it's blowing the fuse?

It wasn't an expensive one, and I wouldn't mind replacing it if I need to - but I don't want to just throw it away needlessly either.

I have zero electrical knowledge, so I won't be opening it up to do any fixing! But if the motor/plug (it's an orange moulded one) have got a bit damp, could that trip the house fuse board?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

It's just as likely (if not more likely) that any damp is inside the tool rather than in the plug - bringing it indoors to dry out for a few days before you next use it might work.

Question - is the socket you are plugging it into RCD protected? it really should be for outdoor stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can you photograph the affected fuse please and add it here? We'd like to see what type it is and possibly comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,388 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't even know what that means!

It's a kitchen socket, I've used the blower on it for years with no problem, just the last two times it's tripped the fuse so I've stopped for the moment.

I've brought the motor inside, will give it a few days and try again. Is there any danger in trying it if the trip switch does its thing every time?

I'm tempted to just get another one, but I hate the idea of the waste if not necessary!

Advertisement