Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I get it. But for me I figured that there's somethings I have direct influence over and there are many others I don't. So i figured there's little point in getting annoyed, angry, upset, frustrated over things I'm in no position to influence. And the transfer activities of Liverpool football club and their owners is definitely one of those things. Their match performances is another.

I can't influence either so I made a very conscious effort to stop letting them affect me negatively. Took a while but it was worth it.

You wouldn’t be disappointed if Salah left, Liverpool lose a champions league final, get pipped to the title by a point, fail to qualify for CL, Klopp quits etc, because you have no influence over it?

You made yourself not feel an emotional response. How dull.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I find that hard to believe. You trained yourself not to be negatively affected by the fortunes of the club because you realised you can't influence them? No fan on their own can influence any of it so should the rest of us do the same? BS. Fans are negatively affected because they care about the fortunes of the club, a great part of being a fan is forming an emotional attachment to the club. Do club successes affect you in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I hate that kind of fair weather fan than gives it large when their team is winning, chirping away, happy as can be. But when the team is losing it's just meh not bothered, I'm grown up, more important things to be worrying about etc...

Haha. A triplet of replies there in fully expected manner from all three. Wonderful. I get disappointed when we lose absolutely but I don't come on a message board or twitter crying about it after and moaning at the owners/club for not spending money because doing so achieves precisely nothing only than recking my own head since I can't make them do those things. That's it really. Same with a poor result. Its gone. Can't change it. Only Jurgen and the lads can. Occasionally I express that disappointment but I'm quick to move on from it.

You can choose to be my way or be your way but neither will effect anything of substance but one will definitely effect your own mental health and not for the better. Enjoy it though, it seems to make a lot of you happy. More so than when we win for some of you.

Oh an Salah leaving. Love to see him stay, can't make him though so what happens happens. Torres going was the last time I allowed myself such heartache, never again will I do so. He does what's best for him, the club does the same and I do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see Phil is leaving Barcelona , would we be tempted for a 6 months loan deal ?

Could be back up to Mane out on the left, or am i getting to desperate for us to sign someone ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Coutinho and his bad back can go wherever he wants as long as its not back to Anfield. He was a great player on his day for us but a frustrating player off it. He was never the quickest, didn't track back and wouldn't solve any of our current problems.

In the last 8 transfer windows we have signed 9 players ,

5 of which are

Adrian (free) Elliot, Van de Berg , Kabak (loan),Davies (remember him)

See .G., a discussion form is for discussion, no requirement for it to be all positive, there are only 3 or 4 including yourself who think they are that bit smarter or more informed than everyone else. For the rest of us, it’s just about opinions and discussion, we don’t think we are right, nor that everyone has to agree.

Its ok to disagree, and to be wrong, no need to judge.

• Advertisement

I agree with you on one thing. This place is hilarious at times 🤣🤣 You are the next stage of football fan evolution. The fact you can associate an actual civil discussion with crying and moaning is one thing. To presume arrogantly that any of our mental health is affected is another. Let me clear it up for you. It doesn't. It seems any talk here of anyone discussing anything negative or what the club can do better sparks a response in you in which you post some over the top reply sarcastically exaggerating the substance of the posts you can't seem to tolerate. For a lad who says he gets over disappointment easily you sure seem bothered enough to respond the way you do to fans having a discussion when some posts don't fall in with your own line of thinking.

We chat and discuses reasons why we are good & succeeds so surely its only normal to discuses when we are poor & when we fail ?

Football makes you fell high & makes you fell low & once you realise its an escape ( as long as your not involved as a job )& don't let that filtrate into your every day life then i think its perfectly fine,

For instance if someone says you lot are crap i don't take it personally or get upset as i don't play for Liverpool or am not a coach so not much i can do to effect it, Just like when we win i enjoy but but i haven't achieved anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not right, there were 12 signings.

21/22 - Konate

20/21 - Jota, Thiago, Tsimiskas, Davies, Kabak

19/20 - Minamino, Van Der Berg

18/19 - Alison, Naby, Fabhino, Shaq.

Unless I've counted wrong and you're trying to exclude one of the 18/19 windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That group of players cost £320m an an average of £26.6m per player.

Your right it must be the last 6 not 8 & its 10 players as Adrian & Elliot are missing from the list,

A window like 18/19 would be epic this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I can appreciate where .G. is coming from. Of course it annoys me when things go wrong, but being able to compartmentalise/put it to one side/ come to terms with it is something I've arrived at over recent years. I'm still as passionate as ever, just don't let the losses etc get to me to any great degree.

Yes. 100% it's an escape. But how much of an escape is it if you don't enjoy it. I enjoy the journey and that journey will have highs and lows. For example I know loads of reds from another message board I used to visit who couldn't enjoy 13-14 cos we might not win at the end, they were wound up like a spring every single game and even when we won the fretting that we might not win the next one began almost immediately. If the end is the only important part that's sad imo. 13-14 was a brilliantly enjoyable season for me despite ending it empty handed.

Discussion of things is fine if course, it is after all the whole point of the place and it's all I'm engaged in. I believe its pointless if it's the same discussion over and over and over when the facts are available for all to read if they want to (the miserys never do) and none of us can change any of it anyway.

Anyway I'll bow out now, people can "enjoy" "supporting" their club whatever way they like if it makes them happy. It just doesn't seem to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No I agree.

The disappointment from a result (thankfully) doesn't last as long as it used to now I'm in my mid 30s.

I couldn't tbf, it would ruin my weekends and invoke temper tantrums as a kid.

Describing me as dispassionate would be a lie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...in the same boat, in years gone by the losses/frustrating draws etc would have p1ssed my off for days on end but now I'm not quite as emotionally invested now and take a more philosophical approach.

This Liverpool team is something very special that we will probably only fully appreciate when things really go arseways at some point in the future.

Man City right now have a perfect blend of an exceptional manager, a sizeable and talented squad and pretty unlimited financial resources.

To paraphrase a journalist I heard on a recent podcast, just because we are failing to keep pace with Man City doesn't mean that this team is a failure.

• Advertisement

Ah hear, being disappointed after a loss or pissed off that more signings weren’t made doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy supporting Liverpool. You really have a skewed way of looking at how teams should be supported/fans should discuss events. If you want an emotionless pragmatic discussion, maybe start a thread for serious fans only. Sounds fun doesn’t it.

As for the hurt when Torres left, stay strong .G., you will learn to love again if you just open your heart. 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To be fair I think he was referring to the fans that cant take any enjoyment from the game because they get so wound up by the eventual outcome. An example, a Liverpool fan I work it gets so wound up for Liverpool games he openly admits to not actually been able to sit down and enjoy watching them. He spends half the time flicking between the channels as he is a wreck and this is not for big Champions League semi finals or the likes. He’s like this for run of the mill Saturday afternoon games against Palace, Wolves etc...that cannot be a healthy way to enjoy football or life! I used to be a bit like this as a teenager as I wanted to avoid the Monday slagging's off my UTD supporting mates in school. But it is a bit sad to be in your late thirty's and be that emotionally invested in it.

I really don’t see the issue with that. Got to admit when I go to Anfield I’m like a giddy kid. Tell me you wouldn’t like to be that excited by something. We will all be as old and boring as some of the pragmatists on this thread for long enough. Let the feelings out man, enjoy the highs because of the lows and all that mumbo jumbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This Arsenal game should be at a neutral venue with penalties after 90 mins. Two legged tie in a Pepsi Cola Cup, wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some twitter talk the League Cup game may be in doubt because a further number of positive cases in the squad again this morning.

Noting wrong with that, I love going to Anfield. Fingers crossed I'm there in two weeks for the Brentford match with the brother in law and nephew for his first trip. It will be my first time there is over 3 years with everything that has gone on and I'm like a child at xmas... Ill scream, shout, sing and roar during the game but win lose or draw we wont be letting the results get us down on what we hope will be a great weekend. Life is too short! Ill always follow Liverpool and with great intensity during the games but the day I'm hiding behind a couch because I'm afraid the opposition might score and Ill get a slagging off my mates went with my teenage years.

• Advertisement

City announce another sponsor............ I wonder what part of the world that deal is in, hmmm I wonder, I wonder who actually owns that company the deal is with, hmmm I wonder.

It's beyond a joke at his stage.

Could have to forfeit the tie

Forst leg has to be played before the second and there wont be time to re schedule both before the final

Also some talk of Harvey Elliot playing in a behind closed doors friendly soon. Pearce did mention yesterday that he was close to returning to team training.

I think you will find we are all in agreement in that the older you get the less it bothers you. I question why he needed to post it the way he did and directed at a small group of posters who find interest in discussing the club and at times discussing things the club can do better. He is not engaging himself in the discussion just undermining the posters that make the posts he disagrees with by presumptively labelling them something they are not. It is like he just wants to shut down the discussion. I am one of those posters and I can say that my posts are not reactionary, I am not spoiled by success, I am not angry, raging or pissed off when I make the posts nor am I a doom and gloom merchant.

For example there is a thread for discussing a tv series. None of us can control the direction or quality of this series but you will find many people will post their thoughts and exchange views on both the positives and the negatives. For me it is the same for a football club. It is a sharing of ideas and opinions good or bad, some you will agree with and some you won't, it's not about being right. It feels like there are a few posters like G that just want to shut discussion diwn when it takes a turn they don't agree with, not by making counter points but by trying to come across as a bit of a smart ass. Anyway that's all I will say on it.

Is that an option? Never really seen something like that happen really before.

Some very rare circumstances like Spurs this season and did they have a cup tie last season that got forfeited too?

There is a high amount of league games being postponed this season, so the calendar has been thrown out of sorts as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Am i wrong thinking there was some unusual semi final fixtures once. Like the two legs were 3 days apart.

It sounds like all the goalkeepers and the goalkeeping coaches have COVID.

It's not mentioned specifically here, but there is an article on the outbreak

I was really looking forward to the next3 games

To illustrate this, can anyone show where our current points total would have us in the prem table in the last 15/20 years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah, it's nice not to have to keep closing and opening new threads, one of the few advantages of the new site is not having thread limits.

The bar has been raised, should we try to improve, or just console ourselves that we have more points at this time than other years we also didn’t win the league?

Training today was cancelled because of COVID & rising cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I don't have the stats but it seems to be a new phenomenon that if the chasing team(s) draw a couple of games that the league is "over" with almost half the season left.

Back to work today and decided this would be a nice distraction task 🤣.

League table after 20 games for the past 20 season's. I've highted our points total in red, needless to say we haven't been in contention much over the last 20 years!!

only two times has a team with a lead of more than 4 points after 20 games failed to win and unfortunately one was us!!!!

• Advertisement

Because City hit 100 points, then 98 points , then Liverpool hit 99 points ,

That changed the landscape in regard to how many points you can drop ,

Even if City drop 10 points like they did in the first half of the season they will get 94 points(i can't see them dropping 10 )

If Liverpool have to win every game left to get 94 points ,

Is it possible to play a mixture from mens team and womens team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Benitez made a similar point in February 2009. 5 draws and 2 losses in the first 19 games had left no room for slip ups in the second half of this season. Unless Man City suffer a major collapse in form the league title is out of reach of both Chelsea and Liverpool.

Console is a peculiar word to use

It might provide perspective though

Teams that have won multiple recent titles and have a squad worth a billion or so won't collapse.

If it was Arsenal or Spurs then maybe, but City, little or no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Norwich are looking to sell Todd Cantwell this window.

He would be well worth a bid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I see Southampton have been taken over. I assume we've bought them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'm hearing that Karius tested negative, but maybe that's someone making a joke about him not even being able to catch COVID, just with the punchline removed.

(EDIT: Actually he is registered in the PL squad. I thought he wasn't)

So if it's not someone doing a funny, and we have 13 other senior players available, we might actually be obliged to fulfill the fixture. With Karius in goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Funny thing is, that's far from impossible with him.

Equally he could punch 3 corners into his own net.

The possibilities are just endless with Loris Karius.

Advertisement