Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I believe that was Walter Hegarty that closed it off last time. He is one of the principals. He used to call himself Greg Townsend on air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Be great if we got a better closing than we did on the fm transmission.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Coupon King

I agree the fella that closed the Fm broadcast could barely string a sentence together, it all felt very ad-hoc and a sense of relief that it was over with so they can pack it away again until next year. I kinda feel like they wont be in that "ask paul" place in stilorgan come next fm broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Coupon King

The playlist this year has been awful with just the same rotation of songs what felt like for the the first two weeks Jolly Dolly's Christmas song was played far more than it should have been. I agree on them choosing an Animal charity for a change they have recycled at least 3 Charities since they started in 2008. People charities get enough, maybe its time for the animals to have a look in next time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What makes you think they won’t be back in ask pauls office this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I agree about the charities, it’s time an animal charity is chosen as they’re are so many and all need our help 😊

As was discussed here previously, I suspect animal charities may struggle to attract the same kind of numbers in terms of donations, and with a licence far from guaranteed each year maybe there's pressure each year to justify its place on the airwaves hence using similar types of charities each year. That's a complete guess on my part btw, fwiw I'd love to see the dspca/ispca or dogs trust be given a shot. We'll see come august/September anyway.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'm not sure how important the choice of charity is in terms of being granted the temporary license. None of the other temporary licenses are run for any charities, e.g. Easy Radio, Freedom FM, 8Radio.com, etc. It is of course a vital aspect for Christmas FM itself.

Do those other temporary station licences run annually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I really don't think an animal charity would draw anything like the same donation level. A bit like the niche sightloss in Africa one a few years ago - which went down really badly with a lot of people, people want to help people at home at Christmas.

May not be at all. But as the station is so associated with charity partnerships maybe they themselves feel under pressure to perform and maybe feel a poor return one year could jeopardise the licence application, but as I said, just a guess on my part.

The chosen charity and end result in terms of donations are highly unlikely to affect any application in reality but that doesn't mean it isn't a consideration for those making the application.

ChristmasFM should run one day appeals online for less used charities like animal charities. I would donate in July if we got live DJs, texts and craic back for a random day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hope that is not the case, otherwise, like the Sightsavers charity that Caranica mentioned, 'less popular' or overseas charities wouldn't get a look in, and it will just be the same mix of 4-5 well known Irish charities on a rotation.

As I said, I suspect this is not the case at all, but was wondering more than anything if there's a feeling that they need to play it 'safe' so to speak if there's any perceived potential risk to a license being granted. I genuinely suspect this is not the case though so would be hopeful the charity mix remains varied in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A lot of animal charities don’t receive any government funding and solely rely on donations from the public, I have a select few I donate to every year and that won’t change but it would be nice to see different charities every year on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Even just a random day during the month their airing. It'll be interesting to see how much money they raised for this year's charity.

One thing that I was happy about this year was I caught one of the older presenters discussing the start of Christmas FM and found out the first ever song played & last song on 2 of the other years I hadn't gotten previously. So as it stands its just 2009 & 2010 I'm missing from having a record of the first & last songs broadcast each year ( That's just the FM broadcast for clarity)

Was surprised to hear the first ever song played was Shakin Stevens, merry christmas everyone.

Just out of curiosity, any idea who the older presenter you heard was?

So long as it continues, Christmas FM will always hold the record for the most years running on thirty-day temporary licenses! So far, it has had 14 runs between 2008 and 2021! It's come a long way since it's humble beginnings as a largely Dublin-only station only available on FM!

No idea who the presenter was TBH, I was driving home from work and had it on but missed the start & the end of the presenters stint so never got the name.

• Advertisement

Shaking stevens was there in person to launch ChristmasFM so that’s most likely why his song featured.

Well that and it’s an absolute BANGER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Read this on their website back before Christmas. Fair play as he would have been a big name back then and he has one of the the great Christmas tunes, as you mentioned.

Listening to ChristmasFM while I pack away some decorations and it made me ponder.... I would LOVE to get my hand on their stats and see how many streams they get out of season, in summer and at peak.

Also how much does it cost them in royalities to play Christmas music all year long online!!

ChristmasFM going off previous years will return on a Monday this year, November 28th.

That weekend, 25th-28th, is shaping up to be another big one.

Looking likely that the late late toy show will be on the last Rudolph day of the year!!

Yep, Rudolph Day, LLTS, Christmas FM launch. Getting excited already :)

Listened to ChristmasFM again today just getting stuff sorted around the house and the playlist was off the charts good. It’s the first year ever I’ve listened to so much ChristmasFM in January.

Not sure if it’s cause Christmas 2021 was such an odd one but I’m loving my January ChristmasFM tunes!

• Advertisement

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I don't know much about that end of things actually. If I do find something, I will update here, but I'm not overly hopeful. There must be someone else here who might he able to find or point towards those details.

Incidentally, for the first time this year, and the first time since they ceased their FM transmissions, I happened to put on Christmas FM briefly this evening. They were playing This is Christmas by the Goo Goo Dolls. I really like that song.

Advertisement