Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

thanks by “slower” I mean your tenk pace pace is 5:00 min km +.

I have speeds as well and have used them for speed training sessions . A great shoe but grip doesn’t feel great when wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Endorphin pro are a good shoe. To be honest the Next%, for me, are the best of the lot. But you will certainly run faster in a pair of Endorphin pro over a generic non carbon plated shoe. You'll also recover faster from hard efforts which applies to "slow" and "fast" runners alike. Its why you see a lot of people training in these shoes nowadays . You can handle a tougher session and recover quickly.

To your original question I don't think any particular shoe is designed for specific distances. The next% are advantageous across all distances. I'd pick the Endorphin Speeds for shorter stuff but that's just me . I'd pick the fuelcell TC for longer stuff but again, that's just my preference.

Thanks - do you mean you would race 5k in the speeds ?

Also I know this question has probably been asked 1000 times but what’s the difference between alphafly and vaporfly.?

Well if I was racing tomorrow I'd pick the Next% regardless of the distance.

I use the speeds for training. But yes if I didn't own the Nike supershoes I'd probably be picking the Endorphin Speeds for 5k racing. I just like the return I get off them at faster paces . To me that return is much less obvious on the Endorphin pro.

I'm probably not the guy to go into 5he differences between the next and alphafly. Pretty sure alphafly have different carbon plated technology and a thicker stack height but I'll let others comment.

By the way don't ever pay full price for any of these. There's always deals if you're patient.

Thanks - I’m in no rush - a lot of training to do before any shoe is capable of assisting a pb ! I’ll keep an eye in here - and have about ten different birthday months on Nike ( not sure if these would even be included !) .

I have worn the pros twice - once in a 5k race before Xmas that should have been a tragedy but was a half decent effort in the end ( I suspect the effort wasn’t the accelerator lol ) .

Thinking about DCM - so any assistance with a sub 4 for me I’ll take . Would like never to have to do a marathon again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Well if I was racing tomorrow I'd pick the Next% regardless of the distance.

@Swashbuckler

I find Nike's naming conventions really confusing. Is the Next% the alphafly or vaporfly or a completely different shoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The Saucony endorphin speed is a great shoe for distance and short stuff. I wore the speeds for a 50km long run in the summer and my first sub 20 parkrun soon after. You won't go far wrong with them. I have a pair of pro's and found they are not as forgiving with sessions, not great on easy/warm up bits, they really do come into their own when running tempo. Any session I have long intervals or fartlek I wear them. Possibly a race shoe but have to find that out yet, might wear them for a HM TT in feb.

(Go me)>>> I have a pair of vaporflys next% 2 and they are everything people say they are, wonderful shoe. I wear them for tempo stuff and plan on using them in my next marathon. But a bit expensive for more than that.

In short, if I only had the speeds I reckon I would be happy.

Thanks ! Was just about to ask the same question. ! Went back to look at old threads but the lingo changed in the exact way so I gave up . Also what's the difference Bewteen vaporfly next % and next % 2. The latter seems 30 cuid cheaper .

The one I'm referring to is vaporfly next%. The next%2 is the follow on then. I think it has a different upper to the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

The vaporfly next% 2 appears to be EUR 249.99 on the nike.ie site - do people really pay that kind of money for them?

• Advertisement

Well yeah...I don't because there's always eventually a deal to be had. The alphafly could be got for 160 recently, down from 300. Never pay full price for any of these shoes. There's always deals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I ran my sub 4 marathon pb in the endorphin speeds (the original ones) and if I'd had any other races in the last year I'd have worn them but aside from the marathon I haven't raced anything else since pre-covid 😏 Like you I am new to "faster" shoes. I don't have any Nike super shoes, probably mostly because anytime I attempt to research them I get completely confused by the lingo. I recently purchased NB Fuelcells and gave them a spin on a session over Christmas and they are nice fast shoes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I really like the endorphin pro - ran a great Marathon in October in them and will using again this year for longer runs and marathons. My daily runner is the Kinvara so it seemed like a natural progression. I havent tried the Nike either.

Oh i didnt realise you took them for a spin..Im always interested to hear coz of all people on this forum i've been shouting constantly about the Fuelcell TC.

I think I bought the Speeds because you did lol - you were singing their praises here ! They are a great shoe - love them . The only issue I have with them is that I put my toe through the top of them fairly quickly . Hadn’t happened with a shoe in ages - have you had this ?

In awe of your marathon btw . Well done !

I think Zoom X Vaporfly next % 2 are the ones to go for but not sure lol. Anyways have them in my basket in a few places and if the ever get reduced I’ll buy them . Edit - just reread post from SB and it’s the ones without the 2 at the end . Now I’m confused again 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Will try to explain the really complicated Nike naming conventions, as much as I understand it myself!

Vaporfly 4% - original Nike supershoe, 4% improvement according to studies, not widely available anymore (https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a30852494/nike-vaporfly-4-flyknit-sale/)

ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% - next incarnation, ZoomX foam and extra stack height gave 5% improvement, hence the NEXT% name, still for sale but rare enough (https://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-zoomx-vaporfly-next-mens-running-shoes-214329)

ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% 2 - Exact same as the shoe above except the upper part is more luxurious i.e. doesn't look and feel like a plastic bag over your foot (https://www.sportsshoes.com/nike-vaporfly/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3exCo1O17IdloMw67CFOX7R_GkHIEMvAcxpPFbRbdvP0SApofeqecaAaAtgVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Air Zoom Alphafly - Same ZoomX foam as the NEXT% but the addition of 2 airpods give extra propulsion. Extra stack height and noisy as fcuk. Bit like marmite, some love and others hate them https://www.alltricks.com/F-11912-chaussures-running/P-1950289-nike_air_zoom_alphafly_next__blue_mens?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3ez4PSb5unWqUNS-l-1azUwhw6zkR19jnxVWERi4v9Ne_kZ-wpHwbv0aAjBDEALw_wcB

Things to watch out for - There's a training shoe version called Air Zoom Tempo NEXT% which is cheaper but is not a full blown "supershoe". Im presuming they deliberately put the NEXT% name in there to catch people

No issue with the toe coming out on them but the upper is very light. I find if there's a lot of surface water on the roads my socks are wet through in a flash and feet can get quite cold especially if it's at the start of a long run 🙄 First world problems really 😅 Thanks very much. We have been very similar throughout the last few years and I have no doubt you are capable of a similar marathon, you just need a few things to come together for it happen 🤞🤞

I'd need to wear them a few times to judge them but out of the box they were very comfy. I went up half a size and a good bit of space at the toes but I needed it for the width, my feet seem to be getting a bit wider with age which is a right pain to get a shoe to fit well.

Cheers ! I have about 5 birthdays on Nike . Next one I think is in April !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

How do you find the transition from Kinvara into Endorphin Pro in terms of sole flexibility? My main shoe is Kinvara but I also use other flexible sole shoes like Hyperion Tempo. Any other shoes that I've tried that don't have flexible soles, e.g. Pegasus, Endorphin Shift, have given me calf and shin issues. I think it's because the non-flexible soles force my foot to stay rigid and then roll off that rigid foot whereas the flexible soles allow me to bend my foot to get up on my toes when pushing off. I think I'd have the same issue with plated shoes. I've felt them in shops and they feel rigid, and while the supposed performance improvements are tempting I don't want to blow big money on them if they won't work for me -- I've done that with other shoes and don't want to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Has anyone bought from Zalando.ie and if so, was it a good/bad experience? (sorry, I can't figure out how to search a thread any more). Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Unfortunately I'm addicted to this website, can't rate them highly enough.

Only thing to note is that they seem to have switched to Fast Way from An Post as delivery provider in the past 6mths or so.

While I've never had an issue, I know some people don't like that particular courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks! Hopefully I don't follow you into addiction 😀 pity about the move to fast way but I won't let that stop me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I think I would have a similar running style to how you describe and the EPs felt a bit unstable (like high heels compared to Kinvaras) and also rigid when I first tried them on (It took a few kms for me to get stable on them). I dont know the technicalities of the shoe but yeah the EPs were noticably less felexible to feel but then when running the plate inside pushed me forward and I was landing on the ball of my feet and rolling onto the toes. Maybe the flexibility is in the plate.. more knowledgeable posters might know this..

One last question on the super shoes. Asking for a friend - for people who need “ support” and over pronate are there any preferences ?

You'll kick off a whole debate on pronation and "support" if you're not careful 😂

You'll get very different opinions on this from people. I don't necessarily agree with pronation being a problem and I think people are given "support" shoes far too often when they dont need them all because places like Elvery's want to sell Brooks or Asics support shoes.............but anyway...................

If you think pronation and support is a concern for you then do you really want to be running on shoes that are designed to be very very lightweight and in most cases have a very high stack? That being said, of the carbon plated shoes i've worn, the Alphafly, Vaporfly Next%, Adios Pro offer little to no support. The Endorphin Pro are as close as I've seen to a "normal" runner although people have noted they found them unstable. That hasn't been my experience. The Fuelcell TC , you could argue are not supershoes, but offer some bit of stability. The Endorphin Speed aren't supershoes but do have a carbon plate and are probably the most stable of the lot (but people have noted some grip issues in the wet).

Decisions, decisions eh?

You are probably wondering how I distinguish between super and non supershoe. For me the supershoes are the two top Nike shoes and then all the shoes that were designed to compete with those i.e. Adios Pro, Endorphin Pro, Fuelcell RC Elite. The non-supershoes are high end training shoes (just my opinion).

Thanks - I mostly just wear shoes because they are comfortable and also I have an addiction to buying them - I was told by a few shops i over pronote but my physio claims I couldn’t possibly as I have freakish high arches . Anyways I’ve been wearing whatever takes my fancy for years . The question really was for a friend lol . She bought speeds - only wore a few times and said they hurt her knees . She traditionally wears shoes for over pronation and is currently wearing Nike infinity .

As we are training partners I’m trying to convince her to give the speeds another chance or try something else . I’m notably quicker in the speeds - but we did a few park runs before Xmas without the speeds and I was chasing her .

I think maybe keep them in her rotation but build up more slowly to wearing them, 1 run per week or even part of a run/session.

I also have high arches. You can also tell if your gait by the wear on your shoes? I'm neutral and it's very clear by examining the wear pattern on shoes that have 2-300 miles on them.

• Advertisement

Does the pain go away when she switches back to the shoes she's used to? If so, I'd be slow to encourage her to stick with the Speeds regardless of the gains. It's better to be a happy , healthy runner than a fast, crocked one. lol. That's not to say its definitely the Speeds causing the problem.

Advertisement