Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

These were rolled out as part of a Hate Crime awareness event in Mersy side, England over the weekend. It's not a crime to be offensive. As long as they can label you as the criminal, no end of control is excessive especially with subjective definitions regarding what constitutes 'hate'

Euyb-RqWYAA_6Yp?format=jpg&name=small
    EuydUUeXMAYo3Pb?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

^^^^ Comedy is fuked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

These were rolled out as part of a Hate Crime awareness event in Mersy side, England over the weekend. It's not a crime to be offensive. As long as they can label you as the criminal, no end of control is excessive especially with subjective definitions regarding what constitutes 'hate'

Euyb-RqWYAA_6Yp?format=jpg&name=small
    EuydUUeXMAYo3Pb?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sex workers... or criminals as theyre commonly known, sure while were at it lets ban criticism of drug dealers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Sex workers... or criminals as theyre commonly known, sure while were at it lets ban criticism of drug dealers...

Sex workers aren't necessarily criminals. It can include, for example, those with an only fans account. But I guess this just highlights the ridiculousness of it being on that board.

I mean, offending someone's beliefs. Give us a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If anyone wants an insight into how 'hate crime' legislation is selectively applied with the intent to attack indigenous Europeans, you can review this story from the UK.

Here we have an example of a racially aggravated assault. Two British women have a minor altercation at a Tesco checkout. One is in her 60s. The other in her 40s. The younger woman threatens the OAP - 'watch what happens when you come out' which implies pre-meditation. She uses racially abusive language 'you've met the wrong woman, you <insert race here> b***h'. So it is a racially motivated crime.

The older woman is terrified. She actually tries to evade the threat by taking an extraordinary route back to her car, to avoid the younger woman. She fails - the younger woman is so possessed with irrational racial hatred for this woman that she waits for her outside the store. When she finds the OAP she (and her son) attack the OAP, pushing her in front of a bus with the intent to kill her.

The attacker in this story avoids jail. Indeed, she gets a character reference from the judge who attempts to explain how she wasn't really at fault. This sort of sympathy wouldn't be displayed if an English person shoved an immigrant under a bus whilst hurling racial abuse. Let us not forget that only a few posts ago, advocates for hate crime legislation were concerned with the plight of someone being racially abused on a bus. Whereas we can see from the UK experience that English people can be shoved under a bus in a racially motivated assault without any jail time. For the same reason Stephen Lawrence is the national saint of the UK, whereas no one has ever heard of Kriss Donald.

The whole idea that 'hate crime' legislation will be applied evenly and without favor is nonsense. It is intended to attack indigenous people, not protect them.

The INAR’s relaunched Love Not Hate campaign for the proposed Hate crime legislation

Senator Eileen Flynn says she "warmly" welcomes the DoJ’s publication of 'Legislating for Hate Speech and Hate Crime in Ireland — Report on the Public Consultation 2020' which is due in December. Im sure she does. As well as the entire NGO lobby.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hate-crime-legislation-campaign-relaunched-1093695.html

Scottish Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf is delighted with himself as Scotland's controversial hate crime law has been approved. The bill, which has been altered significantly, creates new offences of "stirring up hatred" - which previously applied only to race - and abolishes the offence of blasphemy which hasn't been prosecuted in Scotland for more than 175 years.

The Scottish government modified the wording and strengthen freedom of expression provisions after concerns were raised about its impact on free expression. These modifications meant that "stirring up hatred" would only be considered an offence if it was intentional.

The government is setting up a working group to look at whether misogynistic abuse should be a separate crime. lol

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56364821

Scottish Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf is delighted with himself as Scotland's controversial hate crime law has been approved. The bill, which has been altered significantly, creates new offences of "stirring up hatred" - which previously applied only to race - and abolishes the offence of blasphemy which hasn't been prosecuted in Scotland for more than 175 years.

The Scottish government modified the wording and strengthen freedom of expression provisions after concerns were raised about its impact on free expression. These modifications meant that "stirring up hatred" would only be considered an offence if it was intentional.

The government is setting up a working group to look at whether misogynistic abuse should be a separate crime. lol

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56364821

Surely its more correct to say blasphemy has simply been replaced by hate speech. I cant recall the source, but I recall hearing a professor researching morality/blasphemy and finding modern, rational people were no less zealous and intolerant of blasphemy than any superstitious, religious tribe. All that was different was what constituted blasphemy. In all cases it was designated by the elites.

Sadik Khan stated that misogyny will now be recorded as a hate crime. If that's the case then why not include misandry? Is the hate men receive from women not included under this bill? That would be sexism no? He sure has his priorities straight considering the crime rate in London.

If I stilled lived in London I'd be in a cell next to a lad that stabbed a 17 y/o, because I called someone 'love'.....
    "Of the 1,975 mosques in Britain, 28% do not offer facilities for women, and up to 50% of all South Asian-run mosques do not accommodate them. When mosques do offer it, the access is restricted..."

I doubt Khan will be sending a misogyny task force to kick in the gendered Doors of a mosque. ...

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1372258572734717954

• Advertisement

Sexism. for all of the problems associated with it, is not and should not, be considered a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not sure you can include sexism as hate speech. Some religions are very clearly sexist. While I find those views horrible does the hate speech trump people's religious freedom.

I am reminded of the muslims are right about women meme.

I am a bit sickened saying this but people have a right to be sexist. Even if you don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Sadik Khan stated that misogyny will now be recorded as a hate crime. If that's the case then why not include misandry? Is the hate men receive from women not included under this bill? That would be sexism no? He sure has his priorities straight considering the crime rate in London.

If I stilled lived in London I'd be in a cell next to a lad that stabbed a 17 y/o, because I called someone 'love'.....

I doubt Khan will be sending a misogyny task force to kick in the gendered Doors of a mosque. ...

This is the lad who gives speeches to the gender segregated Islamic community. If these laws were applied fairly, the Muslim community would likely make up the majority of the "crimes".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

will misandry be counted as a hate crime too, if so they're going to need a whole womens prison for the sheer bile against men thats readily found on twitter.

will misandry be counted as a hate crime too, if so they're going to need a whole womens prison for the sheer bile against men thats readily found on twitter.

Nah. Misandry is excusable... because we're still guilty of what our forefathers did well before we were born, or what other men do, but we're judged guilty by association.

The path the UK is taking is about as grim as could be reasonably imagined. While it is always claimed initially (as in this thread) that 'hate speech' laws are to protect terrified victims from abusive and threatening speech or calls for attacks on such people, that is just the thin end of the wedge. It gets the usefully vague and malleable concept of 'hate' recognized. It then proceeds onto criminalizing dissent, which is then characterized as 'hate'.

A new report in the UK now recommends that fighting 'hate' should now be used as a justification to make it illegal to express realities which the UK government finds inconvenient. The report repeatedly declares that material which is not abusive, threatening or violent in nature must be criminalized. So for example, pointing out that the English or White British are a minority in London would be illegal under the reports recommendations.
    Activity or materials directed at an out-group who are perceived as a threat to an in-group motivated by or intending to advance a political, religious or racial supremacist ideology:

a. To create a climate conducive to hate crime, terrorism or other violence; or

b. Attempt to erode or destroy the fundamental rights and freedoms of our democratic society as protected under Article 17 of Schedule 1 to the HRA 1998

It might seem that the torrents of mainstream material which demonize British people specifically or Europeans more generally as a constant and real threat to others might fall foul of such legislation if it was genuine in its intent and applied without favor. Never fear, this legislation is intended to attack indigenous people. Never to protect them. It will still be entirely possible to designate areas, institutions or activities as being too white/British, especially in the context of those areas, institutions or activities being viewed with suspicion by non-indigenous people. It will still be entirely possible to make sweeping negative generalizations about indigenous British, especially as a danger or threat to non-indigenous people. And it will still be entirely possible to say '**** white people' on social media if you just want to get straight to the point.

Given how Ireland follows the trends set by the UK, we can expect this to influence how Irish law is implemented. Already advocates for this legislation have been at pains to point out that 'hate' doesn't need to be threatening or abusive.

NGOs were out in force before an Oireachtas committee calling for stronger sanctions for election candidates who use "hate speech" and that they should be removed from the ballot. Imo, this seems to be an attempt to screen certain ideological opinions or views out of Irish political life.

The article is by Kitty Holland of course, so she was nice enough to include ****e about gender quotes etc ......

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/candidates-who-use-hate-speech-should-be-removed-from-ballot-committee-hears-1.4587913?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

NGOs were out in force before an Oireachtas committee calling for stronger sanctions for election candidates who use "hate speech" and that they should be removed from the ballot. Imo, this seems to be an attempt to screen certain ideological opinions or views out of Irish political life.

The article is by Kitty Holland of course, so she was nice enough to include ****e about gender quotes etc ......

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/candidates-who-use-hate-speech-should-be-removed-from-ballot-committee-hears-1.4587913?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Catherine Lane, local, community and rural development officer with the NWCI, said women running for, or in, public office should not be expected to tolerate online abuse.

Madness. Every politician suffers some form of abuse, it comes with the package. They essentially want to jump into the water and not get wet.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NGO wants to impede the democratic process. Not very surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Merely stage two - who can forget 'Amnesty Ireland' and friends call to shut up Irish women and LGB people who have a different opinion to the critical gender/queer theory hold on Irish legislation.
    They had to deploy a massive dollop of xenophobia to square that imbecilic but dangerous reasoning but sure why let the truth get in the way?
    I'm less and less assured now that when the legislation is finalised that it won't resemble the shítshow of Scotland despite the Justice ministry's assurances.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

European Commission proposes to make hate speech an “EU criminal offense” on the same footing as terrorism and sexual exploitation of children

The initiative demonstrates that the list of EU criminal offenses should be extended to include hate speech and hate crimes, in the light of the criteria set out in Article 83 (1) of the TFEU.

• The cross-border dimension of hate speech and hate crime: Hate  speech online is spreading rapidly and is accessible to everyone around the world. (…)
    • Speech and hate crimes as an area of ​​crime  (…)
    • Hate speech and hate crimes as a particularly serious area of ​​crime : Hate speech and hate crimes constitute particularly serious criminal offenses, as they undermine the common values ​​and fundamental rights of the EU (…)
    • Evolving criminal offenses:  The two phenomena have continued to spread due to various economic, social and technological developments. (…)
    • No other choice than to extend the list of EU criminal offenses:  Hate speech and hate crimes are criminalized to varying degrees in different Member States. Only the extension of the list of EU criminal offenses to hate speech and hate crimes can enable an effective and comprehensive approach to criminal law in relation to these phenomena at EU level, while ensuring a consistent protection for victims of such acts .

This initiative is the first step in the process of expanding the EU's list of criminal offenses. I'd say the next step will be for Member States to endorse the initiative so that the Commission is able to submit a legislative proposal. 

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/f866de4e-57de-11ec-91ac-01aa75ed71a1/language-en

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The bloke who has been harassing Leo Varadkar the last few months recently had a video up on facebook calling for jews to be wiped out. I have no problem with that being criminalised.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whiskersmcgee

A bare-faced admission that government policies introduce significant problems.

So much so, they need to create new legislation to deal with the problems their policies created.

Like a fooking eejit pumping poisonous gas in your window, then knocking on the door to tell you how to deal with poisonous gas.

Of course, that would be far too many dots to join for the average frogbrain in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

In a letter published in the Indo today, Karl Martin of Dublin 13 wrote (with reference to an article written by Dr Theresa Reidy of UCC in yesterday's edition), that Fine Gael "increasingly resembles Labour, but with fewer Trinity barristers". He mentioned that, under Justice Minister Helen McEntee, gardaí have adopted the UK College of Policing's 'hate speech' guidelines, which the English Court of Appeal ruled, in a case taken by Harry Miller to challenged the guidelines, can interfere with the legal right to speak one's mind.

Karl Martin concludes his letter with the following sentence: "One dreads to think what Ms McEntee's new Hate Crime Bill will do to our rights as Irish citizens".

There are concerns that the new legislation would have a chilling effect on the willingness to express concern about issues of public importance (e.g. gender-critical feminists' opposition to the use of women's changing-rooms by biologically-male persons who identify as being trans-women) because of the fear of being prosecuted.

Does the new legislation threaten democracy in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It will most certainly impact our ability to speak freely and articulate concerns, opinions or dislikes…

‘Hate’ speech is now by definition… just disagreeing with someone.

how is having a counter opinion or disagreeing with someone….’hate’ ? Bizarre.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No it won't, for f*ck's sake.

Jesus Christ the amount of people on these forums who think everything is being taken from them or we're moving into a Nazi/apartheid/1984-style era astounds me.

You already have restrictions whereby you can't speak 'freely'. This is going to be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

About time even the last stragglers starting putting on their kid gloves. In this day and age it is unacceptable to have anyones sensitivities upset in any way. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I am reporting your post for hate speech. How dare you mention the N-word era, I find that offensive and hateful to survivors of the N regime.

Can you post some links to where gardai have adopted the UK college of policing guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it doesn't threaten democracy.

Go read up on the legislation then come back and tell me what it is.

Mr. Martin is a prolific, some would say persistent, letter-writer to newspapers where you can often find him whinging about "lycra-clad" cyclists, "liberals", affronts to Irish culture, and the rest. He'd be right at home here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement